Gare Joyce Bolts ESPN For Rogers

Still on that new Rogers Sportsnet Magazine thing….

Remember Gare Joyce? At one point he covered the NHL for the Globe and Mail and he has written many a book too, including the Ovechkin book along with Damien Cox.

Well, Joyce has quit ESPN and is headed over to chateuax Rogers to write for that new sports mag that you all are going to be telling me how awesome it is:

“All through the business honest writers are seeing their jobs shrink or disappear and established publications fold with alarming frequency. I’m lucky to have the opportunity to move on to a company, Rogers up in Toronto, that’s a multi-platform sports outfit and I’ll have a chance to work with younger writers.

I used to really like Joyce’s work. To be honest, I haven’t read him in years (the Ovechkin book isn’t available on Kindle, or wasn’t the last time I looked).

Anyways, Joyce has written his own goodbye from ESPN here.

Here’s a question for you:

Besides Stephen Brunt, Damien Cox and Jeff Blair, which, if any Toronto based sports writer do you think could co-host or host a sports radio program?

Less than 12 parsecs
Less than 12 parsecs
August 13, 2011 11:17 pm

Bruce Arthur would be the obvious answer.

August 13, 2011 11:24 pm

According to the TSN website it looks like 1050 is changing their weekday lineup a bit…………….Mike Richards will end his show earlier, at 9:00 AM………..Dan Patrick will be on from 9:00 AM until noon…………and Bryan Hayes will be on from noon until 4:00 PM………….I assume the noon hockey show will start up once again in mid September and Hayes will be 1:00 until 4:00

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
August 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Glad to hear about the Dan Patrick show moving to its actual time. There have been a few times where sports stories have broken in the afternoon and they obviously don’t know about it to talk about, as TSN was rebroadcasting their morning show in the PM.

August 13, 2011 11:33 pm

I agree with Gerry……….the tape delay of the Patrick show on 1050 has been a bit of a problem………….on Thursday they were talking about how Tiger had a great round going at the PGA Championship but in reality he had already finished his round and shot 77

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
August 14, 2011 12:09 am

Are there any sportswriters left who are not appearing regularly on radio in some capacity? Myself, I can’t think of anyone. Nevertheless, even though they appear on the radio sometimes, I would still gladly hear more of Doug Smith and David Shoalts. Although their respective “beats” – basketball and hockey – aren’t my favourites, they both tend to make me laugh whenever I hear them, since neither of them seem to take this stuff too seriously.

On an unrelated note: if I could wish one thing for each radio station it would be this: that 590 would get rid of those juvenile introductory voice-overs (“stop lusting after your neighbour’s wife”…) and that 1050 could drop the “evolution of sports radio” nonsense.

Dustin
Dustin
August 14, 2011 12:31 am

I’m still absolutely confused about Sportsnet’s mission here. Why are they pushing this magazine so much, and the other question is why the hell are they releasing a magazine? If they did this 10 years ago….ok. In a time where newspapers/magazines are struggling against the digital age, they have decided this is a good time to start.

Maybe I should start investing in DVDs. If I follow there logic, it may be something that will be taking off!

Dave
Dave
August 14, 2011 12:46 am

please stop this terrable Rogers magazine idea its never gonna work. if it were a online magazine maybe it would have a chance. but because its Rogers launching it im gonna ignor it like all their other brands.

Sam in Scarb
Sam in Scarb
August 14, 2011 9:13 am

Well Jeff Blair can’t host a radio show.
Cox is less bearable as time goes on.
So,there is really only Stephen Brunt.

Sportsnet Magazine is nothing more than loss tax deduction for Robbers.

Stephen from Waterloo
Stephen from Waterloo
August 14, 2011 11:20 am

I think Blair is great – he truly is “that nasty little voice in your head”.

Cox is better in print – his cynical side is less apparent when reading his column.

cam
cam
August 14, 2011 12:11 pm

Agree with Steve (in Hamilton) with respect to Doug Smith as I do enjoy when he is a guest. I also think that schedule changes for TSN are a good move to compete with the Fan’s lineup.

If Sportsnet uses the magazine as part of an initiative to rebrand and launch a new online presence it makes sense. As a print vehicle not so much.

Less than 12 parsecs
Less than 12 parsecs
August 14, 2011 7:51 pm

The Sportsnet magazine *might* not be as crazy an idea as everyone seems to think. While general interest mags are in decline, there are lots of niche print mags that are seeing growth, and the industry as a whole also seems to be growing. (According to one source, anyway: http://www.mastheadonline.com/news/2011/20110624792.shtml )

A company like Rogers doesn’t just do things like starting a magazine because they feel like it. They’ve built a business case and identified an audience they feel they can capture.

Whether they can execute in way that makes Canadian sports fans pay attention is another matter. And yes, part of that ability to execute is that Sportsnet had better rebuild its entire online presence, including Sportsnet.ca and fan590.ca, into user-friendly and content-rich experiences, not pathetic holdover sites from 1997.

Gerry (BUrlington)
Gerry (BUrlington)
August 14, 2011 9:05 pm

How is ESPN “The Magazine” doing? I have never bought it, I would have to think this is essentially the model Sportsnet would be following.