Mirror Mirror On The Wall

In discussion today about the turmoil that’s going on at the Toronto Star, I was asked the following question, which of course I am turning over to you:

“On quality alone, not sheer volume, only quality, which of the Toronto Star, Toronto Sun, Globe and Mail and National Post has the best sports section?”

Discuss amongst yourselves and I will provide an answer after.

Meanwhile, I was in the car this am from around 6:30 to 7:45am. It’s admittedly the first time, in a long time, that I listened to all the morning radio offerings live. Wow, that Richards show on TSN Radio is weak. Did anyone else listen to the Donald Trump bit he did? Can you say Chris Shultz Moustache????? Seriously, listening to him this morning was like listening to Don Imus do sports, without having any knowledge of sports. I don’t know this, but I have to think the clock is ticking on Richards in the morning.

Did anyone else know that the Globe and Mail doesn’t send a reporter on the road with the Blue Jays?

Say hi to our new contributor, Rob. Rob’s going to be helping out with lineup posts and some commentary while I am on the road. Lots of cool stuff coming your way.

Dadesh64
Dadesh64
August 16, 2011 1:59 am

Best sports section belongs to the Sun. Both on line and in print.

mario
mario
August 16, 2011 3:17 am

For me it has to be the Sun…has the most quality writers..I read all on line but buy the Sun to take to work to read..followed by the Globe,Star and the Post which Bruce Arthur is the best there..

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
August 16, 2011 8:30 am

I only read the Globe, to be honest – but it’s out of habit, since I came from Halifax 6 years ago and I read it there for 20 years.

I was listening to Brady/Lang this morning and I really enjoyed it. Sometimes I get a kick out of Brady’s opinions, such as this morning and his thoughts on Jim Thome. As long as he doesn’t start talking about Tiger Woods and giving us all a lecture on how to be good husbands, then he is entertaining.

Nick
Nick
August 16, 2011 8:50 am

I don’t read any newspapers during the week, relying solely on tsn.ca or radio to get sports. On weekends Saturday star and the Sunday Sun. It is not Sunday if I have not read Simmons.

Nick
Nick
August 16, 2011 8:54 am

Who would of thought the 2 biggest signings from 2010 Krystal and Richards could be both off the air? Furthermore both had huge followings in previous markets Goes to show you how tough the Toronto radio market really is.

dsscpu
dsscpu
August 16, 2011 9:26 am

The problem is Richards stuck with the poor bathroom humor which clearly was the demise of The Fan morning show during its old regime. It may had work out west, but I want to here intellectual sports talk in the mornings and not piss poor comedy. And I don’t think I am the only one. If I wanted bad comedy, I would just tune to one of the plethora of FM radio stations that think they should be dishing it out in the morning instead of playing music, but I digress.

What I will say is, I don’t think those crappy radio-bits will translate when the show starts being simulcast in the fall on TSN2. Instead, they will need strong personalities and strong guests. Otherwise, Richards will be reassigned and I bet TSN Radio + TSN2 imports ‘Mike and Mike in the Morning’ off of ESPN.

Littletony
Littletony
August 16, 2011 9:32 am

I don’t think it has as much to say about the Toronto radio scene, more than it does these guys being mis-cast.

Many PD’s have the “smartest guy in the room” complex. They get the current gig based on some form of success elsewhere (whether it is because of them, or in spite of them) and think they have it all figured out. They make all sorts of changes, make some crazy talent choices (Krystal – I mean come on, anyone who heard him in Toronto before knew this was a disaster waiting to happen) moving PTS to 3-6 (how did that go?) and blowing out all of the other talent, only to bring some of them back. ( even though in some cases, like Stellick, it was the right thing to do).

Over at TSN, frankly the entire sched, with the exception of Bryan Hayes, is pretty weak. Richards is nothing but boring, and seems disinterested. And what do you do with an afternoon show which is better when the host is on vacation?

It is not only the sports or talk PD’s who operate this way, music one’s do too. there are some really good PD’s out there, but I have seen time and time again where the most impressive credential these guys have is ego. There are so many variables in the success of a format, or station, outside of the direct control of a PD. It is not just as easy as finding a new AM show or drive guy.

Roger
Roger
August 16, 2011 9:41 am

I don’t know if anyone noticed but this past Sunday Sun covered the Argos game with the first 7 pages of their sports section. Are they effing kidding us?

Walter Bishop
Walter Bishop
August 16, 2011 10:00 am

Both Fan and TSN Radio morning shows are unlistenable. Any enthusiasm by these hosts are stilted and contrived. I’m bored and tired of their trite locker room/potty humour. And I’ve not even discussed the uninterested and stale selection of topics. You need program ideas, ripe off the blogosphere. Almost every few days I find interesting hockey blogs from Pension Plan Puppets, Maple Leafs Hot Stove, Vintage Leaf Memories and numerous other links provided. I’m not sure what target audience is entertained by these sports shows but I will assume copious amounts of mind altering substances are required.

Blue Ice
Blue Ice
August 16, 2011 10:11 am

The Star used to have the best sports section with great writers like Milt Dunnell, Jim Proudfoot & Frank Orr who were all both talented and real pro’s. I certainly don’t care to look through the Sun’s tabloid trash to get to the sports section. My vote is they all suck compared to yesteryear.

Mike Richards has been a disaster as has that ultra hyper annoying whiny hack Greg Brady. I prefer Stellick with Lang for the FAN 590 morning show. Brady just drives me nutz i can’t turn him off fast enough. Hopefully Brady & Richards both get the boot after the fall ratings come out.

Steve from Waterloo
Steve from Waterloo
August 16, 2011 10:16 am

From a historical sense, my first response is that the Sun has the best sports section. However, I’m not so sure that holds true – at least on line.

I agree that Sunday is not Sunday until I have read Simmons column. But, the quality and columnists seems to have been watered down. It certainly is a struggle to read on -line. Yesterday there was an article about every hockey team in Canada, except Toronto, in the Toronto Sun.

Do note that about 10 years ago, the Toronto Sun won a best sports section award, for North America.

I read the Globe everyday. For variety, opinion (Brunt/Blair) and consistency, I am going with the Globe

William
William
August 16, 2011 11:13 am

“Very few Torontonians care about the CFL and the Argos. I work in an office and I can’t remember ever speaking with someone about the CFL.”

Agreed. This, to me, partly explains the lack of success of TSN Radio. Every time I flip over there to give it a chance, they seem to be talking CFL. I give TSN great kudos for reviving the CFL across Canada, but it’s a small niche product in Toronto. An enthusiastic niche, but a small one. Stop trying to shove it down our throats in Toronto.

In addition, I flipped over to 1050 during one recent Argos game and the play-by-play was just a simulcast of their TV call. That’s just cheap and pathetic.

Chris
Chris
August 16, 2011 12:04 pm

@Blue Ice Don’t hold your breath waiting for Brady to get the can, his (and by extension Lang) numbers in the last book were pretty damn solid. With his direct competition being hack radio at it’s worst, I wouldn’t expect the Fan morning shows numbers to go anywhere but up.

I happen to like Brady, but I’m of the opinion the Fan could put on elevator music in the mornings against Richards and get better numbers. Richards is absolutely un-listenable.

Frankie in Etobicoke
Frankie in Etobicoke
August 16, 2011 12:42 pm

The best Sports Writers are long gone, TRENT FRAYNE JIM PROUDFOOT and MILT DUNNELL. Not much to get excited about. Print is dead, as the moves at The STAR, despite being their lofty subscription numbers, have clearly shown.

On the radio side, I too, am of the opinion that when TSN2 starts up, we’ll get a healthy dose of ESPN–Mike & Mike–for sure. Richards is horrible. Over at the FAN, it seems that whomever they hire becomes an instant PR hack–witness Jeff Blair et al. By the way, where has BLAIR gone to? After that journalistic faux pas about making up quotes and his use of unnamed sources, he’s been AWOL. The only redeeming voice at the Fan, remains Bob McCown. The rest are Rogers Media Blue Jays apologists.

Chef Mike in Burlington
August 16, 2011 12:53 pm

Best Sports Section is the SUN, has been for years.

I consume a lot of sports radio, and less and less of it is from Toronto. The Fan has PTS and 1050 has Brian Hayes, but that’s really about it for me. The FAN has a Blue Jays fetish (yes, I know they own the team), but who cares after 18 losing years and their 23rd (out of 30) payroll.

Both of them also “feed the beast” with endless Leafs chat, also hard for me to give a shit about after Bertuzzi, the strike, 6 years out of the playoffs and 40+ years away from a Cup.

ESPN has far better shows, not just the quality of the hosts, but also better guests and a national viewpoint that all Toronto sports stations lack. Rome, Patrick, Mike and Mike, the Herd and All Night have audiences 10X PTS’s and that’s no accident.

Nick
Nick
August 16, 2011 12:53 pm

So are we all sort of saying that Landry and Stellick wasn’t that bad after all? Hey if I am TSN PD I’m thinking at least these guys had a 2.3 rating and I’m signing both. After all what do they have to lose? It’s happened before on the music side with Humble/Fred, maddog/Billie even Erin Davis. Why not?

Il Duce
Il Duce
August 16, 2011 1:19 pm

When did Sports Radio have to be like listening to a Boardroom meeting? If I wanted to be intellectually stimulated I‘ll listen to CBC radio. Sports is about entertainment! I already know the scores and quite frankly couldn’t care less why Romero threw a breaking ball instead of a fastball with a 1-2 count. I don’t want to listen to some Sports columnist from the Pittsburgh Gazette on the radio telling me about the contract negotiations between the Steelers and Lamar Woodley.
I like Richards and his bathroom humour, it’s entertaining and that’s what most people need in the morning. Brady is unlistenable and not very funny although he attempts to be. His rants and lectures with the holier than thou attitude about politics have no place on sports radio. Give me some personality, some humour, make sports fun again. Richards is the best at it and I hope TSN gives him a chance to prove it.

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
August 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Il Duce,

I only agree that sometimes Brady’s rants can be off-putting, but for me it is only the ones where he gets moralistic about marriage.

However, I do like his wit and sharpness. His reference to Michelle Bachmann was hilarious this morning.

Yes, there is the CBC, which I obviously enjoy, but I don’t want my sports to be fart jokes. That humour may work for my 17-year old son, but I prefer a different type of humour.

As always, different tastes for all of us. I thought the morning show was good today.

Julian
Julian
August 16, 2011 1:46 pm

Just a few quick thoughts:

I am no fan of Richards, but that’s me. I clearly get there may be some people who are. Let’s face it, his ratings aren’t the ultimate disaster they now are had 590 signed him last fall.

Elevator music won’t get you numbers in mornings, it’s by far the most competitive timeslot there is. Remember this: Bob McCown failed doing a morning show in this city. He’s not the icon he is now when he tried it, but everyone knows who he is.

I think some talents are morning or afternoon. McCown is an afternoon talent. I think Brady is a morning talent, I didn’t enjoy him as much in afternoons at 640 w/ Waters. I don’t know what it is (and yes, I am well aware Waters had his intolerable moments) but it just felt stiff despite the fact I think Brady worked far better with Waters than Jeff Marek before him. Not even a contest.

I’d give Richards through next spring. Again, I know what I like, and I thought Richards would fail from the get-go, but the public never fails to surprise me. I didn’t watch Jerry Springer, like, ever, but it was a huge hit. If you can get ratings, you can get ratings. It’s not about “who knows the most about sports”, seriously, that’s why TSN went after Dean Blundell and Strombo to do mornings, as I believe, 590 did also.

Remember, they knew at 590 that Krystal In The Morning wouldn’t work and shut it down before it could do further damage. TSN I think will take their time with it. But getting an hour cut from your show is a really, really bad sign for Mike Richards, no question about it.

Market size matters, too and yeah, Toronto is a tough market to do well in, and for a long time. John Derringers and Bob McCowns are the exception not the rule.

Richards put up OK numbers in a city of 1.2 million people in Calgary. Same size as cities like Oklahoma City and Rochester. Seriously, would you be impressed if TSN Radio hired somebody who was a ratings hit in Rochester? Same as Krystal, what does Halfax have 375,000 people? That’s like having the top midday show in Wilmington, North Carolina or Peoria, Illinois.

We tend to forget how small Canada is in comparison. There’s two markets real good Canadian tv/radio talent want to work in and that’s Toronto and Vancouver. Calgary’s a “AA ball” town and Halifax is “A ball”.

So 590 and TSN went and got guys who did well there, and it’s a whole different ballgame in Toronto, I’ve lived here my whole life, and if you get off to a bad start on tv or radio here, it’s hard to recover. Richards has no chance, it’s just a matter of when the plug gets pulled. I’d bet it’s next summer, though, and then where the hell do they go?

The worst sign possible for TSN Radio was when Dan Patrick outperformed their very own talent. It’s supposed to be the opposite in big cities. No one at TSN can claim no one knows the station exists yet if Dan Patrick is doing moderately well and no one else is. People know it’s there, they just don’t like what they hear.

RJ
RJ
August 16, 2011 2:02 pm

Steve Buffery’s ridiculous self-important essay about his 3 week vacation in today’s Sun accompanied by a huge picture of the guy prevents me from giving that paper top marks. Aside from friends and family, who in the world would gain anything from reading it??? Bill Lankhoff also weighs down the grade.

Chris F.
Chris F.
August 16, 2011 2:04 pm

Regarding the newspaper question it’d have to be the Sun hands down though the best general sports columnist works for the Globe. (Brunt)

As for Richards, I’ve tried listening to him and it just doesn’t work for me. I think he does a passable job with the interviews if a bit open ended on the questions. I find that he asks a very general question which then gets the guests to go off on a tangent rather than being more targeted in is questions though not as pinpoint as Greg Brady does on the Fan (I find Brady gets TOO specific sometimes with his questions but generally he’s VERY good specially if he’s alone)

The “comedy” bits from Richards just aren’t funny at all and what’s with this “the Swa” crap?! The last straw though was the evil Jerry Howarth bit that I heard one morning. I realize they’re in competition with Rogers so I can understand the concept but when you have your “evil” Jerry Howarth calling the team crap and stuff like that it just crosses the line. I mean if TSN had the radio rights to the Jays do you HONESTLY think they’d allow Richards to do a comedy bit that bad mouths the team the way that bit did?

It was just a bit beyond the pale to me. Really, the only franchise in this city that deserves that kind of mockery is the Maple Leafs but heaven forbid anyone try to do a comedic bit like that or the hordes from Leafs Nation will come down on you like a ton of bricks.

Maybe i’m just touchy but the Jays are the only pro team that plays in the summer (Sorry Argos, the CFL doesn’t quite have that reach at least in this city) Oh well….

Roger
Roger
August 16, 2011 2:24 pm

I normally like Brady but if he’s attacking Bachman, he simply becoming another member of the mainstream lefty media. No courage at all.

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
August 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Roger,

I liked your comment about the CFL earlier. I tend to agree.

But did you hear the comment about Bachman? I said that he made a reference to her; I did not say that he made a derisive remark.

I still like my sports talk to be reasonably informed, and reasonably cynical about a lot of political matters. I like the jokes, becasue they can be quite funny. But politcal jokes are usually amoral/apolitical. One of my colleagues at McMaster is an American and is a staunch Republican. Everytime he sees me he makes an anti-Obama joke. Now, my politics are completely the opposite of this guy, but sometimes the jokes are funny. I let them go, and often laugh.

Anyway, he made a reference to Bachman, which showed cultural literacy, and it made me laugh. So it goes.

Sean
Sean
August 16, 2011 4:28 pm

Im glad im not the only one that dislikes the Richards comedy.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
August 16, 2011 6:29 pm

Toronto is one of the biggest Metropolitan cities in all of North America. Yet when I go through the various newspapers sports sections, I am amazed at how little is written by inhouse reporters regarding anything sports related that doesn’t involve a home team.

I go to ESPN, CNNSi, USAtoday, TSN and major American Papers for sports. I want to read columns about specific sports stories. I do go through all the Toronto Papers (almost daily) but only to read specific columns. The Globe – Brunt, sometimes Blair (guilty pleasure I read the BS Dowbiggin prints electronically, someone please stop me from doing this). The Star – Griffin, on occasion Cox. The Sun – Simmons, still give Elliot a chance but less and less often. National Post, Arthur and Down Goes Brown, the rest of their sports is a complete waste.

Julian, I think you bring up a great point regarding the real difficulty in finding a morning Sports Host. I find Brady/Lang just a little too whiny and trying to hard. Richards on the other hand just isn’t working. I liked him alot in his past support role on the Fan, but as the Lead guy on a solo show it just isn’t working. I find myself listening to music (my wife can’t believe it) on the way to work.

I LOVE many sports, and therefore to me Dan Patrick is just a great show. His interview today with Howie Long was great. The insight on this show to NFL, NBA and MLB is just so superior to what the rest of TSN/Sportsnet Fan is providing. Hockey is lacking, but heck, we still have 20 hours a day to find hockey information elsewhere.

End of day, I think all Toronto Newspapers Sports are really going downhill, perhaps due to the fact we can easily go elsewhere.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
August 16, 2011 6:36 pm

CFL Comment- I respect the fact also that TSN has rejuventated this sport. That said, if any other team in this city had a winning percentage of 16.67% they would be getting ripped a new corn hole. However, because TSN is so obviously trying to sell CFL and specifically the Argo’s they refuse to call this a bad team. For that matter even Bobcat and the rest of the Fan seems to protect this team. They are bottom line 1 and 6 this year, yet according to the radio, they are 1-2 games away from being the best. CFL is a unique sport, Toronto has a large population of people who have migrated here that care about other CFL teams, start talking about the rest of the league, not just the crappy Argo’s!

August 16, 2011 7:18 pm

Yet another interesting post by Julian………..but he did not give his opinion of the Bob Mackowycz experiment on 1050………….I would be interested to hear what he thinks………..I haven’t been impressed with Mackowycz so far but hearing less of McCormick is rarely a bad thing

I agree with Gerry about Dan Patrick………..I enjoy the show, especially to get an American perspective on sports (that is why I also watch PTI almost every day)………….but I could do without all of the cutsey nicknames (“Mancave”, “Dan & The Danettes”, “McLovin”, “Fritzy”, “Paulie”, etc)

BlueIce
BlueIce
August 16, 2011 7:48 pm

@ Chris, i know for a FACT that Robbers was split on the hiring of Brady. I also know for a FACT that some of the brass @ Robbers thought Brady was totaly unlistenable when he was doing the Watters show…yet they then turned around in desperation knowing TSN Radio was now coming into the Toronto market and let Kollins hire Brady, also to screw up 640. The guy who really wanted Brady was Kollins the now proven idiot program director at the FAN. Brady will be toast just like some of the other hacks Kollins brought in. You say Brady’s numbers were damn good? LMAO compared to who TSN LMAO? I’ll bet a large sum Brady’s numbers are not better that Stellick & Landry’s. I heard Lang on with Stellick one morning not bad they were at least listenable that’s who the FAN should go with in the mornings.

August 16, 2011 8:23 pm

BlueIce – if you look back through this very website you will find that Brady/Lang have started out higher than Stellick/Landry achieved.

Less than 12 parsecs
Less than 12 parsecs
August 16, 2011 8:29 pm

The Globe for quality, but even there it’s hit and miss…

Listening to Brady these past few months, the upgrade he offers in terms of general sports knowledge — and general knowledge period — over previous FAN morning hosts continues to impress me. He’s passionate and thoughtful, a seemingly rare combination in a world of Lajoies, Krystals and Richards…

I just wish he and Lang wouldn’t put on the mock combativeness; it gets tired quickly.

PBI
PBI
August 16, 2011 8:58 pm

I have nothing to add, just wanted to say that it’s a lot of fun reading your comments and opinions.

It’s interesting how most people are reaching the same consensus about Richards and the disproportionate amount of CFL coverage on TSN radio.

Bob
Bob
August 16, 2011 11:15 pm

Interesting opinions! Mine is : Ya’all need to get a Life! None are very good!

August 16, 2011 11:20 pm

Yeah. Nothing against the Argos, but the amount of coverage they get on TSN radio is puzzling. I wish them no ill will, but at best they`re the #4 team in the market. You can complain about the Jays coverage on The Fan, but I think it’s fair to say that their coverage is roughly appropriate to their popularity. Safe to say they’re a solid #2, well behind the Leafs. 640`s constant Leaf talk was a turn off for me, but the Leafs are so popular, you could at least understand where they’re coming from. I don’t get the Argos/CFL emphasis on 1050.

darrell
darrell
August 17, 2011 12:35 am

I think it’s fair to say TSN radio is not willing go gaga over an up and coming Blue Jays team that is owned by it’s main competitor. Makes no sense to pump up a team that forces your listeners to turn the dial for live content. TSN is trying to grow the CFL in Toronto. Unfortunately TO sees the CFL as minor league and for the most part would rather turn the radio off.

I have not listened to Richards but I do listen to Brady and Lang regularly. They are no doubt an upgrade over Stellick and Landry. I listened to Stellick and Landry in high school and enjoyed them. They were funny and complimented each other. I went to college for a few years and when I moved back and listened I was almost embarrassed for them. With the terrible comedy skits and lack of sports knowledge it became silly and painful to listen to. I like that 590 no longer has the goofy skits. Brady has done a great job and is an excellent interviewer. There is no chance Brady is looking for work in the foreseeable future.

As for newspaper, I used to enjoy reading Cox in high school but as so often happens, when he moved to the tv side and became a talking head he became a caricature of himself. He now just plays the part of “the guy who disagrees with everyone”

Tom
Tom
August 17, 2011 12:46 am

few points.
1. agree tsn talks too much CFL in toronto. Its an NFL town. A little bit here and there, but wow..
2. I get a kick out of those saying the FAN talks too much Jays.. What the hell do you want them to talk about? The only other toronto team going is the Argos. Then people complain if they talk about hockey in the summer. What the hell do you want them to talk about?
3. Brady’s very talented, but agree, when he starts doing the “im smarter than you” its annoying.
4. Mike Richards comedy doesnt work because he’s sooo boring
5. Bryan Hayes is the best thing going at tsn by a long shot
6. It seems people here get mad that most of the local radio and newspapers are Toronto focused but i think something to keep in mind is a) local sells- they dont do that because they are stupid and b) most folks in Toronto arent as hard core and addicted to sports as people who come on this blog, they just want to hear about the leafs, Jays etc.. not about some US national story.
7. Whoever said Colin Cowherd and Mike and Mike get 10x the listeners than PTS so that makes it better- umm duh, its a national show on the biggest sports network in the globe in a country that has 220 million more people. i would think their numbers would be better
8. Who’s going to get the fan afternoon show? Krystal?? hahaha

BlueIce
BlueIce
August 17, 2011 8:51 am

Whatever Brady’s initial morning ratings were are meaningless as a lot of listeners were tuning in just to check out the new morning show, we shall see where Brady and his whiny rants rate in the all important fall ratings. I can’t stand waking up and listening to a broadcaster like Brady run his mouth like an annoying whiny hack who knows nothing about sports and sounds like he has had 5 cups of caffeine by 6am. Brady is far too hyper for a morning jock and arrogant as all hell he won’t let Lang talk and constantly cuts off Lang callers and guests.

Good move by Robbers to hire Jeff Marek away from CBC and TSN. Marek on the FAN in the mornings would be a huge upgrade over Brady. Marek is calm…experienced…owns Brady on all sports knowledge…would be more respectfull to co-hosts guests and callers and does not go on rediculous rants trying to ram his opinions down peoples throats. Also, Brady never made a scratch in McCown’s numbers at 640 and his numbers were also down from Millards on HockeyCentral.

Chris
Chris
August 17, 2011 9:31 am

lol now it’s gone from Brady and Lang didn’t have good numbers to “they only had them because people wanted to check out a new morning show”? okay…

And you’re right, the Watters show w/ Brady didn’t put a dent in PTS numbers. The Watters show also didn’t scratch PTS numbers with father and son Hayes as co-host. Ralph and Marek, same think. Even Brunt, years ago on the TEAM 1050 didn’t hurt Mcown.

Chris
Chris
August 17, 2011 9:32 am

erm..thing not think.

TSM – need an edit button here 🙂

BlueIce
BlueIce
August 17, 2011 10:19 am

@ Chris, your opinion of Greg Brady is worthless to me.

William
William
August 17, 2011 9:31 pm

“@ Chris, your opinion of Greg Brady is worthless to me.”

You can always tell that someone has lost a debate when he resorts to name calling and insults.

RJ
RJ
August 17, 2011 10:27 pm

Hard to ‘lose’ a debate when the argument is based on opinions, not facts.

Chris
Chris
August 18, 2011 12:44 pm

I wasn’t offering opinion, those were facts. The 590 morning show numbers in the last book, which are right here on this site, are also facts.

Chef Mike in Burlington
August 18, 2011 1:08 pm

do you have the link, I’ve not seen them?

Chuck
Chuck
August 18, 2011 6:28 pm

I think the Star/Globe and neck and neck with different strengths. Brunt is in a class of his own. My friend works at the Star and says one of their foreign correspondents is returning to the paper’s Toronto office and may start covering sports again.
Says that the guy really got under the skin of the NHL bigwigs and was always breaking big stories. But I didn’t remember who he said that writer was. Any ideas?