Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

On 590 with Greg Brady and Jim Lang:

Colin Murray, BBC Sports
Daren Millard, Sportsnet Hockey Central
Brian Burke, GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs
Jonah Keri, Sports and Stock Market writer/journalist

On TSN radio with Mike Richards

Chris Schultz
Matt Dunigan
Warren Sawkiw
Dave Stala
Jonas Siegel
Bill Johnson (host of Green & Gold Today ESPN Milwaukee)

Steve from Waterloo
Steve from Waterloo
August 19, 2011 10:26 am

So TSM et al, what happened at the TO Star? An imminent shake up was alluded to earlier this week, but I have noticed no changes in my daily web surfing of the TO sports pages. Just wondering?

Sam in Scarb
Sam in Scarb
August 19, 2011 11:34 am

Echo Steve/Waterloo…also all the changes at Robbers sports-net tv ????

Chef Mike in Burlington
August 19, 2011 11:47 am

So me, Mr Anti-BlueJay will admit that the Robbers boys have done decently the last week or so, and that some of the guys they traded for are doing decently. I will also conceed they averaged about 24,000 in their 2 home stands since the callup/trade.

But before you all think I’ve gone soft and will be giving AA foot rubs soon, lets also be aware that we are 12 games out of anything and playing in a 1/2 full building. They have played .510 baseball since Robbers bought them and as long as you continue to go to the games and support them, we have no reason expect them to improve.

I remember when baseball used to be news in this city, not just sporting news, and page S3 at that…

August 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Apparently Stellick has a book coming out called “Stellicktricity”

I guess this means the next book to come out will be “The Summer of Rog” by Roger Lajoie

RJ
RJ
August 19, 2011 12:57 pm

The radio personalities in this market, save for McCown, are not nearly dynamic enough to have nicknames, autobiographies, etc. I don’t mind an egocentric, self-centred host that can back it up by maintaining a great timeslot and high ratings, but have little time for wannabees who speak for (and to) no one in particular.

Tim
Tim
August 19, 2011 1:39 pm

Hi TSM,
What happened with the Maple Leafs radio rights Changing stations. Any updates?

d.
d.
August 19, 2011 1:57 pm

For the past 5-10 minutes I’ve been listening to ‘Stellicktricity’ or whatever he calls it …and I’m already off to find something else. Just abysmal, un-listenable radio.

Chef Mike in Burlington
August 19, 2011 2:16 pm

I have a client who knows Stellick very well, and he can’t speak highly enough of him. Says he does lots of charity work, treats folks around him well and is gnerally a very nice man…but even he, apparently a friend, can’t listen to his radio show…seems I’m not alone, he’s even more nasel and pandering than Blair is…

Sam in Scarb
Sam in Scarb
August 19, 2011 2:46 pm

Remember Boys and Girls
Fall ratings start August 28 th….
So, the suits think feeding the public with 3 months WORTH OF CRAP
of sports radio
Will be ok once they bring in the A team August 28th
JUST HOW STUPID ARE WE THE PUBLIC????????????
As Al Borland would say” I don’t think so Tim”

Drake Ramoray
Drake Ramoray
August 19, 2011 3:05 pm

so will pts round table today be Bobcat,Coxie,Shanny and Kirksy?

Doug
Doug
August 19, 2011 3:18 pm

So I listened to the Brian Burke interview at 8:05am with Brady and Lang. Once again Burke came across as a very arrogant SOB who will not survive another, yes another, mediocre season. I know he has an extra bullet by first firing Wilson if this team misses the playoffs again, yes again, this year. Heck if Wilson gets off to a shaky start he will be gone by US Thanksgiving.

But let me get back to my main point about Burke’s ego and arrogance. The way he spoke to Brady on the phone today was one of the most disgusting things I have ever heard from a so called ‘professional.’ He said to Brady and I paraphrase:

Burke: Who am I just a guest here. No I’m the guest and your just a host. I don’t care about your opinion what so ever. If you want to share you opinion do it when I am not on the air as I really don’t care about anything you (Brady) have to say.

This all came from Brady saying what his opinion was on shootouts and how he prefers a good old fashion tie game because he is more of a traditionalist. And that was it. It took Brady 15 seconds to say his peace and he is entitled to that. But Burke just wanted to try to be the big tough guy and kick Brady while he was probably two seconds from telling Burke to go fly a kite. But what a miserable SOB Burke is. I personally don’t have any attachments to Burke, Brady, Lang, or the Fan 590 but this was typical Burke. I am better then you mentality.

Of course Burke somewhat apologized in the last two seconds of the interview saying he was just joking, but when the original comment was said by Burke, there was no joking matter at all, in fact he even kept going after Brady tried to escape the matter.

Brady, good for you for continuing on with the interview and not just passing the reins 100% over to Lang to let him conclude it. That was much more professional then Burke was on that interview and probably ever will be.

Chef Mike in Burlington
August 19, 2011 3:30 pm

I’ve always thought of Brian Burke as a POS douchebag long before he came here. His inaction as a GM and preference for violence on the ice let directly to the assualt on Steve Moore, an assualt that was only 2 MM way from Moore dying that day with broken neck.

Other than the loss of his son, he deserves all the bad shit that ever happens to him, no father, even a tool like him, deserves to bury their child.

Time will tell who is worse, him or JFJ??

Doug
Doug
August 19, 2011 3:49 pm

I apologize for a couple spelling and grammar mistakes in my post above. I dont barely ever write anything on here, but I do read it on a daily basis. The Burke quote should have started out by saying:

Burke: Who are you the guest here (saying this to Brady), not who am I just a guest here, which I wrote up above.

I think this is the best website going and I really enjoy reading everyone’s opinions on a daily basis. Way to go to all the contributors.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
August 19, 2011 3:50 pm

And Damien, Bobcat, etc… will continue to stroke him. Burke’s bullying works on most of the media in Toronto. Eventually the fact his record is no better than JFJ must be worth something. If he can turn it around and produce winner, then kudos to him, but in the meantime he plays the role he enjoys of bully.

If James Reimer is average this year, Leafs in trouble.

I suspect MLSE is afraid of Burke, heck they can’t figure out how to get rid of the Basketball Guru who can’t build a winner.

PBI
PBI
August 19, 2011 4:20 pm

It was great to hear Brady and Lang’s discussion this morning on the standing of the Argos in the city. It’s the first time in a long time I’ve actually heard someone not put the CFL up on a pedestal.

I don’t think it can be overstated how irrelevant it is within the city.

Chris F.
Chris F.
August 19, 2011 5:50 pm

I know i’m late but a couple things:

– Stellick works best when the format is a bit looser and it has an organic feel and flow to it. As it is now his show is not all that good or listenable but he does seem like a really nice guy so it’s ok.

– My main thing though is that I figured out what has made Roger Lajoie even more unbearable to me now than he was before. I’m listening to him today and he’s almost literally SCREAMING his opinions out. As if that’s going to make what he says any better then it is. Then he goes on this spiel in regards to Tyler Beede declining the Jays to play for Vanderbilt and he somehow gets sidetracked into saying he’d never live in the US ever but then realizes what he said sounded so bad that he made a half hearted apology. It was well….kinda bad. I also thought he was a bit too tough on the Vanderbilt baseball coach in his interview.

Guess someone peed in the Rog’s cereal this morning….

– Brian Burke, a POS douchebag bully. End of story.

Victor
Victor
August 20, 2011 2:29 pm

Somebody referenced the fall ratings. What about the summer ratings? I haven’t seen TSM post any kind of ratings in a while and I’d be interested in knowing how Stellick is stacking up against what Krystal was doing. Eric Smith too. And I’d be just as interested in knowing what TSN is doing too and if they’ve made any gains on the Fan in any of the timeslots. In fact, do they even have summer and fall ratings periods anymore? I thought the new ratings’ system meant that the numbers were available monthly if not daily or weekly?