Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

Slow sports news day in Toronto, so we post this in honor of Jim Hendry’s firing in Chicago today

Here’s your drive home lineups

On FAN 590 tonight

Bob McCown’s co-host from 5 to 7 Damien Cox

4:00 – Adam Van Koeverden, gold medal kayak winner
Calls
5:00 -7:00 – Roundtable – McCown & Cox joined by Elliotte Friedman & James Deacon

On TSN Radio 1050

James Cybulski’s co-host is Bob Mackowycz

4:30 – Craig Button, NHL on TSN
4:45 – Darren Dutchyshen, TSN Sportscentre
5:15 – Rob Murphy, Toronto Argonauts
5:30 – Gord Ash, Assistant General Manager, Milwaukee Brewers
6:00 – Richard Peddie, President & CEO of MLSE
6:15 – Bruce Arthur, National Post
6:30 – Herm Edwards, TSN 1050 NFL Analyst
6:45 – Sean McCormick, Queen West Music Fest

Tonight on Sportsline:

Mark Hebscher & Bubba O’Neil discuss if Colby Rasmus is the real deal, Mike Vick’s poor play, Tom Brady’s good play, Jim McMahon’s lawsuit against the NFL and the value of the shootout in the NHL. This and more, tonight at 7 on CHCH.

RJ
RJ
August 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Would you ever associate that blurb with your favourite team, the Leafs? Talk about always sucking!! One playoff series win in 9 years..one appearance in the finals in 44 years? Wow!! How do they even have one fan left? If you went to a restaurant that sucked that bad for 44 years straight and assumed it would get better eventually, you’d be considered crazy.

sean
sean
August 20, 2011 8:27 am

Just for drive home purposes. Bob on vacation next two weeks. plan accordingly people.

Anyone else hear how frustrated Friedman was getting talking with cox. Cox would not listen to any points and kept saying same thing….then after Bob throws to commercial cox throws in Elliot sure is drinking the kool Aid.

I am all for different opinions. But i would like to hear them in a discussion…not one guy trying to have a discussion and the other cutting him off constantly with same statement.

Elliot says it best…this feels like i am talking to my four year old nephew

Sam
Sam
August 20, 2011 9:10 am

Sean – I heard a bit of it… Cox was really being an ass. Maybe he was trying to get Friedman to explode (why would he be doing that?), or he’s unhappy with signing on as a co-host, that’s the only thing I can come up with.

Friedman is one of the precious few roundtable participants I actually look forward to hearing on my podcast.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
August 20, 2011 2:29 pm

Cox really is a smarmy prick. His arrogance is too much for me to tolerate.
It is neat to see how Elliot has developed into a quality radio/tv personality. Not sure how many of you remember when he was first on the Fan he was covering the Raptors and Bobcat always referred to him as raptorboy and it drove Elliot nuts.

Steve
Steve
August 20, 2011 5:21 pm

Cox was unlistenable last night. It was painful. At one point Friedman said, and I’m paraphrasing here, that all US College programs were dirty (at least w.r.t. following NCAA rules). Cox wouldn’t let the hyperbole (and frankly, I’m not sure that it is) go. Rather than discuss the real issue it was a five minute hair-splitting painfest re whether absolutely every last US college program was corrupt. Brutal radio and Cox came across as a total prick. Can’t remember the topic previous to the college football one but it was more of the same.

Syn
Syn
August 20, 2011 7:00 pm

Is this what Cox did when he used to be co-host? No wonder Bob got him fired, this is just unlistenable contradiction and pedantic arguing. Poor Elliotte too, one of the absolute best on the panel. And Deacon could not have said 30 lines in the whole show, which is too bad.

Brunt, I know Newfoundland is lovely, but you need to get your ass back to Toronto so I don’t have to listen to this anymore.

Mike on the go train
August 20, 2011 10:44 pm

I was at work and missed the show, but I thought to download it, but it sounds like douchebag Cox made it unlistenable. Fine with me, PTS is becoming more hobby than habit anyway, but love Hayes in the afternoon. Gotta shoot Cybulski, he is not Dan Patrick and his cohosts are dicks, not Dannettes

August 21, 2011 9:58 am

PTS is becoming more hobby than habit anyway

i agree completely. it’s been surprising to me how much my listening habits have changed over the last year. With the number of shows now available on podcast i find myself further and further behind on PTS.

I was going to listen to the roundtable this afternoon, but after reading these comments i won’t bother. another example of where PTS is losing me is baseball analysis. I’d rather listen to Shulman and Griffin on TSN than Bob Elliott and Buck Martinez on PTS.

while Bob is clearly untouchable, his show is just one among many these days. there are only so many hours in the day and week and fewer of my hours are being spent listening to PTS.

Mike on the go train
August 21, 2011 10:21 am

Bob, untouchable???

True, he is the pack leader, but the next 2 books will be very interesting indeed. I suspect he will drop 15% or so, a combo of tsn, natural audience attrition and increased media fragmentation. Everyday, it gets easier to stream radio from around the world on my iPhone or BB, I do it a lot, and I’m an old guy not so tech savvy as the young folks are.

He might just be a force that never wavers, but I think we will see a decline to some degree…

Ron
Ron
August 21, 2011 10:44 am

Just a few thoughts:

1. I generally give up on PTS over the summer: there’s little for them to talk about other than the Jays and CFL, neither of which are all that interesting to me. When I tuned into the roundtable last Friday, and Bob kicked off the second segment with the Jays, I immediately turned it off. Plus, I heard J Shannon’s voice, and that was enough for me; can’t stand listening to him.

2. As far as I’m concerned, Brunt is the best thing about the show…he can’t get back from holidays soon enough. Since Bob’s now on vacation for another 2 weeks, I won’t be listening.

3. I think Rogers/The Fan really missed the boat in not hiring Bruce Arthur; I really liked his work, and like Brunt, he could speak calmly and intelligently about a variety of sports.

4. It is clear to see now why Cox didn’t work out on The Fan the first time around. As someone else pointed out here previously, Cox is Mr. Contrarian…he seems to feel it’s his purpose to disagree with everyone else regarding any subject. That works in print, when he’s limited to 500 or so words per day…but on a 3-hour radio show each night, it’s gonna wear thin pretty quickly. I can see this experiment imploding in a hurry.

5. Don’t know about anyone else, but it seems more and more like McCown is just mailing it in these days. He seems to regurgitate the same old tired stories all the time (last Friday it was the Leo Cahill/Blue Jays story, which I’ve heard a dozen times), and seems happy to spend half an hour with John Shannon talking about their attire. I’m hoping it’s better once summer ends and Brunt returns.

By the way, anyone else been following this Cox/Steve Simmons feud? Anyone know how it started?

RJ
RJ
August 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Just listened to the PTS roundtable after reading the above comments regarding Cox’s contrarianism. Come on!! If saying that failing to sign a team’s first round draft pick (the only club to do so) is a negative for the Jays is a contrarian view, then it says more about the media’s and this forum’s poster’s views of the Jays’ perfect little GM than it does about Damien. Without his view, the segment would have been 3 guys competing to say the most complimentary things about AA. Oh, and BTW, Elliotte went personal first by comparing his argument with Cox to one with his young nephew.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
August 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Ron, I agree with you 100% on both Cox and Arthur. Talk about a dream team, with either Brunt or Arthur in the studio with Bob, thus forcing Bob to elevate his game on a consistent basis.

I can’t listen to Cox, he just annoys the hell out of me. Going into the Fall it is very simple for me, Brunt or pass. I still don’t understand how The Fan, if they had a chance, and you would think they would have had first right of refusal since Arthur was already on, let him get away to TSN Radio, although he does seem to be rarely on there, and even if he is, that show just hasn’t done it for me yet.

Overall I was really hoping that the two sports stations head on would be better for me, but I find at least for the PTS show, a huge step backwards with Arthur not there.

sean
sean
August 21, 2011 8:51 pm

Rj- i have no pproblem with a different point of view..but cox was not listening. If you know the draft you know that the Jays got several other picks between the first and second round..all of which they have signed. many different columnists acknowledge what the Jays did and agree…listen to Espn. Baseball today if anything else. The risk was backed up by other picks…and they get 21a next year…all of this Friedman tried to make but was cut off by cox constantly. cutting off someone who knows what they are talking about to make an uninformed ignorant point is not sports radio talk…the Jays were else to the top in draft pick spending and took a shot because they gathered extra picks….if someone does not understand this they should not be commenting this. yes they did not get beede..but they got Norris….check that out…see what the scouts say…..if you followed the draft you would see he was also high end talent..more than beede infact. So please…do not pretend what you know what you are talking about..it was a calculated risk that any in he informed business acknowledge. was it a setback….sure..was it the same as not signing kadri
..as the example was said…not even close and only those ignorant to the baseball draft would say…please
..listen read the draft stuff from actual mlb sites…..if short on time just do mlb today podcast…..it is clear really fast that agreeing with The risk is not drinking the kool aid.

I am just tired of experts knowing nothing on a subject and getting others on the same wave length. They had more than one first round pick and took a shot at a long shot with
one…and it was protected. ..They got plenty of first round talent….and i got this from Espn…not blue Jays.
Sorry for The rant…but after hearing cballs talk about this s today on reporters…i was at my limit of ignorant stupid opinion on stuff people do not know about….

sean
sean
August 21, 2011 9:23 pm

Well autocorrect took over, i see my point was still made, with some changes…go go typing on phone…the point still stands though

Syn
Syn
August 22, 2011 12:24 am

Sean you are a masochist for typing all that on a phone. I try and text 15 words and I want to throw the damn thing out the window.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
August 22, 2011 9:57 am

Sean, I could not agree with you more. This is infamous Cox protocol. Find out what everyone is arguing then pick the opposing side just for the purpose of stirring the pot. The fact he is comparing the signing of early baseball picks to Hockey picks explains in a nutshell what an idiotic perspective he indeed has.

I read his blog on the weekend and it is him trumpeting JP because of his scouting/signings. I don’t dispute that JP made some astute drafts and SOME signings. Of course if you are going to carry the mantle for JP then be comparitive and discuss things like the signing of Frank Thomas. The lying of the injuries of BJ the closer. The complete misdiagnosis of what kind of player Vernon Wells is. I have my opinions of Vernon, great guy, classy etc… but interesting how he like others following the Mitchell Report lost about 15lbs and all his explosiveness at the plate and all those nagging injuries that followed.

JP did some good things, but also enough bad that he rightfully was let go. AA has done some good things, and will make some mistakes. As long he continues to do more good than bad and not mislead the fans as his predecessor was want to do he will be fine.

The big thing for AA is to prove he isn’t some jr. GM who doesn’t have the hutzpah or clout to make Upper Mgmt. pay for some talent to fill in this roster. To wait until the roster is 95% full based on drafting will be too late. To compete with the big boys you have to spend like the big boys. Maybe not as much, but you have to be in the top 1/3rd at a minimum.

My radio has been CoxBlocked now, when I know he is on I know longer give him the satisfaction of my angst listening, I just need to do the same with his articles/blogs in the Star.