Are Tim & Sid Headed To Sportsnet Fan 590?

So what’s new with Sportsnet’s Fan 590 search for talent from 1-4?

I have heard that Gord Stellick isn’t in the running for the slot. I am not sure how strong the interest is, but the names Tim and Sid have been mentioned to me by a couple of folks. That would be a hefty bag of coin for Rogers to swallow in a non drive show slot.

It would be a very strong duo to add to the mid day lineup. Does Kollins have the clink to sign the duo? If not, who does that leave?

For several months now, the word on the street has been that Hayes has been entertaining thoughts of bolting TSN only a few months after signing on to join the proverbial dark side and take over that very same 1-4 slot on Sportsnet’s Fan 590.

I’m told that what ever discussion occurred, either on or off the record are now officially over and Hayes has fully committed himself to TSN (for now) given the time shift, the extra hour of work and yes of course, more money.

Here’s the questions of the day for you to ponder (aloud please):

1. In your opinion would Hayes reputation suffer if he were to have bolted TSN for 590 after only a few months?

2. If you were Hayes would you have jumped ship?

3. Would you listen to Tim and Sid if they were on the Fan from 1-4?

4. If not Tim and Sid and if not Gord Stellick, who do you want to host from 1-4?

Mike Cohen
Mike Cohen
August 23, 2011 10:04 pm

If this does come to reality I think it would be a huge acquistion by PD Don Kollins and Sportsnet Radio Fan 590. Sid and Tim are a awesome team and would fit in nicely with the lineup over at The Fan. The morning show is awesome already with Greg Brady and Jim Lang. Be a good fit… As long as its not recycled guys like Roger Lajoie or Doug Farraway I’m fine with it….

Just a question but if this occured would it be after Labour Day weekend?

MattK
MattK
August 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Never listened to the podcast but I always enjoyed them on tv, The Score always had been my favourite of the sports channels cause it lets the on air people have personalities.

Roger Lajoie and Doug Farraway are the worst, instant station change when I hear them.

Petti
Petti
August 23, 2011 10:18 pm

I wouldn’t blame Hayes for bolting to the Fan at all. He’s only been at TSN a few months, he really has no loyalty to them. In a business where steady work is far from a guarantee, I wouldn’t blame anyone for jumping ship.

If I were Hayes I probably would have jumped. The Fan is synonymous with sports radio and is still considered the “big leagues” of sports radio in Toronto.

I would definitely make an effort to listen to Tim and Sid if they jumped to the Fan. The timeslot has been been in a state of flux for so long, a strong, steady duo would really give the Fan an even larger edge on TSN.

If Tim and Sid don’t go to the Fan, which I don’t foresee if only because it would likely cost the Fan a pretty penny, I wouldn’t mind having Stellick stay in that spot. He has been around the Fan for a long time and gives long time listeners a connection to the past. They could always try a younger guy like Zach Cooper or Alex Sexiero. I am a big Joey Vendetta fan, if they could convince him to work here it would be great too.

alex
alex
August 23, 2011 10:26 pm

As i said the other day, put cox in afternoon and get him off pts.

Otherwise, put marek there.

Bob Roper
Bob Roper
August 23, 2011 10:31 pm

1. Hayes’ reputation will not suffer as TSN 590 has about the same ratings cume as CBC French…meaning not enough listeners to matter or to have any effect on his reputation.

2. If I were Hayes I would have jumped. However, I don’t expect he’ll be able to without some serious coinage going to lawyers. I expect the TSN contract to be pretty ironclad.

3. No. I work for a living and have no time to listen to midday (and podcasts are not on my radar).

4. The host should be a professional BROADCASTER…not a journalist turned broadcaster. Most journalists from this town can put words on paper (or online) but suffer from horrible speaking voices. Surely Sportsnet can fine one decent afternoon voice from the talent pool in this country.

August 23, 2011 10:38 pm

Someone is going to have to explain to me why it would cost a small fortune to hire Tim & Sid away from The Score…………I doubt they are making very much money right now………..and they are working for a channel that is barely relevant these days………….I think they would jump at the chance to host a daily show on the largest sports radio station in the country………….am I wrong ????

dsscpu
dsscpu
August 23, 2011 10:39 pm

Would Tim and Sid interest me. I would give them a shot for sure. But I know Marek would get my ear 100%. Team him with a basketball guy such as E. Smith and I think there is a good one-two punch.

Neal
Neal
August 23, 2011 10:46 pm

Tim and Sid would be excellent on the Fan. That would be a great show as a lead up to Prime Time Sports. One guy that is very entertaining to listen to but his Raptor obligations could get in the way is Paul Jones. He comes across as quite knowledgeable about all sports; not just basketball and he might be a good candidate. An NBA lockout would present itself as a good opportunity to try that spot out. What about Rick Hodge? It is a mystery to me why he never has appeared on any all-sport outlets.

Billy
Billy
August 23, 2011 10:48 pm

“it would likely cost the Fan a pretty penny”

Why? These guys are in a media wasteland right now.

Aaron
Aaron
August 23, 2011 10:51 pm

I’ve been saying for over a year that Tim and Sid are the best radio duo in Canada. But I’m a little unsure how they’d do, especially Sid, in a toned-down, profanity-free environment. Micallef is an absolute rock star, but Seixeiro, while hilarious, doesn’t seem to be a Fan type of guy to me.

If they come only as a package, so be it. But if the Fan can get these guys, it’d be the coup of the century.

August 23, 2011 11:15 pm

This is VERY easy for me to say now, but I wondered about this. I looked at Don Kollins twitter a couple weeks ago and noticed that he was following Sid and Tim. Not a big deal, but he doesn’t follow that much of the competition.

I think this would be a bold, and potentially very strong move. They are young, edgy and entertaining. I would definitely give them a shot. It would be VERY different from Stellick/Swirksy etc that we’re used to in the afternoon.

These guys might represent the kind of bold move Kollins tried to make with a guy like Krystal, but is far more likely to be successful, in my opinion, because they can talk sports.

Also – their highlight show on The Score was strong…I wonder if they’d get some Sportsnet work?

As for the questions:
1)No
2)Yes
3)Yes
4) Hm. Honestly, not sure at this point.

August 23, 2011 11:17 pm

If Stellick isn’t going to do 1-4 (which I’m fine with), would anybody else prefer that he does the noon hockey show (and say a non hockey noon summer show) instead of Millard? I sure would.

Robinaurora
Robinaurora
August 23, 2011 11:20 pm

I think Hayes belongs on the Fan because he’s pretty cheesy and I am not a big Fan listener at all. Hayes is barely listenable IMO. He’s better than a lot of all sports types. That ain”t saying much.
TSN needs a complete revamp. Start again, keep cybulski with a regular co-host and get a real morning show host. Richards is small market.

Tom
Tom
August 23, 2011 11:36 pm

The Score radio/podcasts are scheduled to stop broadcasting soon anyway

darrell
darrell
August 23, 2011 11:58 pm

@ Daniel

I don’t think Stellick would do well at noon but I would take anyone over Millard.

August 24, 2011 12:03 am

I agree with Darrell………..Stellick would get eaten alive by Kypreos & MacLean on the noon hockey show but anyone (other than Farraway or Lajoie) would be an improvement on Millard

Marco
Marco
August 24, 2011 1:30 am

Tim and Sid NO WAY terrible!
Gordie Stellick my first choice.
Hayes was going nowhere, 590 has been on for 20 plus years and TSN has been on for a couple of months and is already better than the FAN!
With summer ending all Hockey and Football on TSN 1050 !
Dan Patrick the best.

Dadesh64
Dadesh64
August 24, 2011 3:16 am

Hayes is the only show I listen to on TSN radio. So I would listen to him on the Fan. IMO no loss of credibility. Maybe TSN should pony up and hire Tim and Sid for the Dan Patrick slot.

mario
mario
August 24, 2011 4:04 am

Have heard Tim & Sid only a few times and really liked what I heard..excellent if move if the Fan could get this done.. as stated previously anyting other than Farraway or Lajioe…Rogers has the coin…Stellick will be doing some kind of hockey show like the evening pre or post game like last year…but if Rogers get the Leafs rights he will be part of that broadcast.. Hayes should have jumped if given the chance…go wth the best…

PBI
PBI
August 24, 2011 5:11 am

I’m also confused as to why some think that it’ll take a significant financial offer to land Sid and Tim. I’m sure they don’t want to do taped “Plays of the Week” segments on a third rate sports network until the end of time now that Sirius 158 is being scrapped so one would think that they’d jump at the chance to take a regular gig like the 1-4 PM weekday slot on the Fan.

I hope your sources are right, TSM, would love to see them make the jump. They have the potential to be everything that C-Balls is trying to be in terms of the vibe they create with their show.

Miracleviolence
August 24, 2011 7:57 am

Tim is taking a couple weeks off on 24H in 30, and I guess the whole channel . He said it was to recharge his batteries as he co-hosts the SCore on the NFL. I’d say it’s matter of his preference, as he is the biggest star at the Score and at the Fan/RSN he’d be…what 5th on the pecking order at best. So do you want to be an ace on the Royals or middle relief on the Yankees?

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
August 24, 2011 8:53 am

I meant to add yesterday, Sportsnet Fan 590 latest survey asked specific questions pertaining to individuals including Tim and Sid, Brian Hayes, and a few others. Found it very curious.

Agree with others, won’t cost hardly a thing. Tim and Sid can’t be making too much, and getting on a primary show like 590 would do wonders for their career, in my opinion.

I know most people really like Hayes, I am still unsure. Yesterday listening to him talk about Crosby and announce like an authority that Steckel didn’t mean to hit Crosby and that Crosby ran into him, really lowered his level in my opinion. How can you not see Steckel purposely lifting his elbow. Is this really his opinion, or this TSN’s opinion which is the biggest suckups of the NHL there is. I don’t mind TSN, but when it comes to questioning the NHL as a league, Mackenzie, Dreger are lapdogs to Betman and company.

August 24, 2011 8:58 am

PBI They have the potential to be everything that C-Balls is trying to be in terms of the vibe they create with their show.

could not be put any better.

both the FAN and TSN seem to value the young/hip/current dynamic, so it seems natural that Tim&Sid would be the next to be hired. I’ve only been listening for a couple of weeks, but there is a big question whether their show has the same appeal once you subtract the swearing and masturbation jokes. Their sports knowledge and analysis is, however, beyond reproach.

I was also impressed with their interview with the ESPN writer of the Jays sign stealing story. For an interesting contrast in styles listen to McCown’s interview and then the one from T&S. Both can be found on podcast.

dsscpu
dsscpu
August 24, 2011 9:15 am

TSM, any word on any of the other Score Radio personalities/shows who are going to be displaced by the impending shutdown of the station?

Raptors Devotee
August 24, 2011 9:39 am

1. No
2. Yes
3. Huge Yes
4. Elliott Price or Mitch Melnick (Great Montreal Talent)

As Gerry said, Sid and Tim were on the latest Fan 590 survey, and if Kollins is following them, more smoke. The Score would be finished if they left, as they are the face of the station, and I do think they make more money than we would think, just for that reason, and the leverage they have.

TheMeaf
TheMeaf
August 24, 2011 9:47 am

If TSN pulls the plug on Richards they (Tim & Sid) may find this gig more to their liking – morning show slot has way more appeal than the 1-4 slot and probably more coin.
As said prior on TSM – TSN has got to find an alternative approach to the Fan and this may stir things up in the am slot (although I personally like Brady I would give them a chance).

1. No
2. Probably (the intriguing possibility of hosting PTS when Bob is off must have been appealing)
3. Work = no radio
4. ??

dsscpu
dsscpu
August 24, 2011 9:52 am

I think finished is a bad term. How many of their people have left over the years and they have gutted through it. I am thinking Cabbie, Friedman, Cybulski, Galliard, Orlesky, Kouleas, Ambrogio and that is just off the top of my head. They will survive and give some up and comers a chance, just as Tim, Sid and all the others who left before them, all had a chance and had to start somewhere.

Bob Canuck
Bob Canuck
August 24, 2011 9:58 am

I enjoy this web site but I must admit I find the amount of thinly-supported speculation originated here by Toronto Sports Media to be somewhat off-putting.

With respect to Hayes, is there not a contract in place between TSN Radio and Hayes? Why would TSN Radio, after less than six months, allow Hayes to break the contract and go to The Fan? The factual support for the Hayes story seems thin.

The list of speculated items from this site that have not yet come to fruition and/or followed up by this site now includes:

– the imminent sale of MLSE;
– the widespread Sportsnet changes; and
– the significant number of changes at The Toronto Star.

As I said, I enjoy this web site. It is a needed source of news and commentary about Toronto sports media. Also, I think the comments from most readers are thought provoking.

This post is an expression of hope that this site regains its bearing and avoids the worst aspects of some parts of the blogosphere: rumour mongering; inaccurate statements; and verbal food fights between commenters. I am optimistic that Toronto Sports Media will return to form.

Mike V
Mike V
August 24, 2011 10:03 am

I think The Score is finished no matter what happens to Tim & Sid. There are really no events on there right now to draw sports fans and frankly I think its surviving only because the channel still gets slotted into a favourable TV package on most carriers.
As for their podcast/show, I personally never understood the appeal and wouldn’t go out of my way to listen to it on the radio. I know they have a fervent fanbase but it is also small and it’s unclear if they can broaden it with a mainstream show. But hey, it has to be a smaller risk financially than either Richards or Krystal were.

dsscpu
dsscpu
August 24, 2011 10:08 am

@Bob Canuck, unless they have a guaranteed contract (i.e. Bobcat), most have non-guaranteed contracts which allows them to give notice and opt-out of their deal.

Shelby
Shelby
August 24, 2011 10:10 am

My choices for the 1-4 pm slot on the FAN would def be a hockey minded host for hockey town Toronto…

1. Jeff Marek
2. Brian Hayes
3. Gord Stellick

But expect the FAN’s idiot program director to do the wrong thing and hire the wrong people, again. The Andrew Krystal debacle? The whiny and un-listenable Greg Brady? Bobcat @ 3pm? Dumps HockeyCentral @ noon off TV? What a joke! So Tim & Sid it is then.

Don Mandrie
Don Mandrie
August 24, 2011 10:24 am

Re: Elliot Price or Mitch Melnick. When was the last time Toronto suits brought in Grade A talent from Montreal? This city likes to think it has the best in everything in the country but when it comes to broadcasting it’s awfully provincial.

Chris F.
Chris F.
August 24, 2011 10:26 am

Seems like i’m never around when there’s some big time conversation LOL

hm to answer the questions:

1. no
2. yes
3. yes
4. I’m not sure but I think having someone “new” to 590 is better than having retreads. Actually thinking on it more I think if Elliote Friedman wasn’t working for HNIC I’d hire him on.

Bob Canuck
Bob Canuck
August 24, 2011 10:38 am

@Dsscpu,

Do you know for a fact that the Hayes contract provides him with the ability to give notice and work for a competitor during the term of the contract? If so, how do you know?

I am not asking the questions to be a smart ass. First, I am interested in the answers. Second, Hayes’ ability to give notice prior to the scheduled termination of the contract, is an important fact that should have been included in the story. If Hayes does not have the option to give notice, then TSM’s story does not make sense. If Hayes does have the ability to give notice, it would be an important fact to include in TSM’s post because it bolsters the credibility of the story.

dsscpu
dsscpu
August 24, 2011 11:08 am

@Bob Canuck,

I can only talk about standard industry practice. OBVIOUSLY no one except son of Hayes or the people over at Bell know exactly how Hayes contract is structured and what, if any, are the out options. Its most likely why TSM made no mention of it in his article, as unless someone spilled the beans it would just be second and third hand information.

But lets look at two recent examples. When Brady gave notice to CFMJ-AM (640AM Toronto) that he was leaving for CJCL-AM (Fan 590), he clearly had some form of a a no-compete clause which made him sit out all of July and most if not all of August before he could start. In comparison, a few months back when son of Hayes gave notice to CFMJ that he was jumping over to CHUM-AM (TSN Radio 1050), he was on the air less than a week later. So clearly he either had an opt-out provision, or in the less likely scenario was working freelance.

So to bring this full circle, if Hayes was pressuring Bell for more money to avoid him jumping as TSM suggests, he clearly had some sort of leverage in his contract to do so.

chuck
chuck
August 24, 2011 11:25 am

@Bob Canuck: The truth is that most sports media talent have non-compete clauses. It’s not as simple as someone giving notice today and bolting to their competition tomorrow.
I know because I have a number of friends in the industry — the same ones who say Sportsnet will have some lovely leverage over Damien Cox when his contract is up. TSN is boiling over how he agreed on a contract and took it to Sportsnet. He’ll never get another offer from TSN.

Jamally
Jamally
August 24, 2011 11:48 am

100% yes to Tim and Sid. They are incredibly entertaining and have the balance of ALL sports (not just hockey) and popular culture.

Sid would have to stop swearing which is getting out of hand. He’s still awesome – but dude needs to relax as the swearing seems more of a gimmick now.

If I’m Rogers, I pull Tim and Sid away from the Score. If I’m Tim and Sid and they are offered more from TSN Radio….I STILL take lower money to either go to the Fan590 or sink with the ship that is the Score. Cuz, when I look at TSN radio and the ZERO marketing and presence in Toronto….I see a dead radio station on the horizon.

August 24, 2011 1:46 pm

In unrelated news, Bruce has a a decent follow-up on the Star/Rypien story with some good quotes.

With Damien Cox’s “grim reaper” moment with Burns, and now this, the Star is not holding itself to a very high standard. I still recall when Brendan Burke died the Star’s headline was something like “Burke’s gay son dies in car crash”. They changed it eventually, but it’s telling that a headline referring to him in this way was ever published.

Victor
Victor
August 24, 2011 3:26 pm

I’d like to see Smith stay in there in some way. But I think his Raptor duties might prevent him from having a regular slot. Isn’t that why he and Jack Armstrong were removed from their show about a year ago anyways?

If it’s not Smith, I’d be fine with the Tim and Sid combo. I find them to be entertaining, though I do wonder if a 3-hour live show would have a different feel and be more difficult to do than a 1 hour podcast. Plus I would wonder if that would satisfy the two of them, going from TV to radio. I would think Sportsnet could go after them to do TV work as opposed to the Fan.

Like some others in here, I also don’t see the fascination with Hayes. He’s average.

Finally, whoever brought up Zach Cooper’s name needs to go back to bed. Not a chance.

Dok
Dok
August 24, 2011 5:19 pm

While I’d love to see Sid and Tim on Fan 590, I don’t know if Sid works on broadcast radio. Thier show is going to continue on the website and I don’t think that The score is as Dead as some people think it is.

Tony Toronto
Tony Toronto
August 25, 2011 12:41 am

Tim And Sid are too good for that 1-4 Daytime slot, and are dominating the uncut Podcast spectrum. I even suggested in The FAN’s survey that they should have been considered for the AM Morning show, although The FAN has finally solved the AM with Brady & Lang + Blair.

If anything, they should be given the keys to Rogers SportsNet based on their Score Tonight days.

Or they should stay on The Score as the Rock Stars of the station.

Barry from Delta
Barry from Delta
August 25, 2011 10:34 am

As a displaced Torontonian living in the Lower Mainland of BC I find the Vancouver Team 1040 unlistenable. The only exception is Don Taylor who also does the late night Sportsnet Connected. He has an encyclopaedic knowledge of sports and presents it in an entertaining fashion without being a smart ass. Unfortunately he is paired with Dave Pratt who is, IMHO, a complete idiot and the absolute worst of the tin foil hat Vancouver sports conspiracy-theorist media. Taylor, however, does not seem to get any of Pratt’s filth on his clothing as he attempts to be objective while clearly being a fan.

My point is that Taylor is already a Sportsnet employee, very talented and entertaining. He has a young family and might not want to move but I think he would be very successful in a larger market like Toronto. Paired with Stellick it would be a lot of fun since they are about the same age and seem to reallyenjoy getting paid to discuss sports.

gerry
August 28, 2011 7:09 pm

To Bob Canuck and Dsscpu,
I have to admit, once I read Canuck’s strong opinion of TSM and questions to Dsscpu, I sorta expected this to become a back and forth name/accusation game. But kudo’s to both of you for keeping this insightful, thought provoking, and great reading, and to me what keeps this site unlike too many other sites where potty humour and snide remarks rule

Mike
Mike
August 28, 2011 11:53 pm

Huge fan of Tim and Sid and have been advocating them on here for a year.

Only concern is if their style would suffer being constrained to radio (obviously no swearing and all the commercials). What makes the podcast great is they can get into long discussions/rants and play it by ear to fill an hour of continuous. Throwing to traffic or commercials every 15 mins is a different thing.

These guys are stars though. They make Cybulski look wack.