Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

On 590 with Greg Brady:

Pete Caldera – Bergen Record Yankees Beat Writer
Dan Kaplan – Sports Business Journal
Zac Jackson – Foxsports Ohio
Alan Ashby – Radio play-by-play for the Toronto Blue Jays

On TSN radio with Mike Richards

TBA

Roger
Roger
August 23, 2011 8:41 am

This morning I felt like Bill Murray in ‘Groundhog Day’. Greg Brady was going on and on about how Justin Verlander should be this year’s MVP. I could have sworn he did this yesterday morning as well. Am I wrong?

Chris F.
Chris F.
August 23, 2011 8:55 am

No you’re right he did do it the other day. I guess there’s not much to talk about? I dunno, seems like he’s forgotten this is TORONTO not Detroit.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
August 23, 2011 9:32 am

Mr. Brady loves to remind everyone of his time spent in Detroit. I suspect he is assuming that when people realized he lived and worked in the Great USA it validates his opinion somehow.

Brady has very well rounded knowledge of many sports and pop culture as we are reminded daily. To me he just needs to take a deep breath relax and do his job. Just seems he is always a bit wound up and this brings out the whiny repetitiveness.

Can’t express enough how dissappointed I have been in Mike Richards. I found him funny as a side kick 14 years (or however long ago it was) ago with Fan in the Morning. I found no humour in what he does now and the show is just boring. I listen to Schulman in the mornings when he is on then back to the FM dial until Dan Patrick is on.

Someone suggested the other day that Cybulski, Macko etc. would be good in the mornings. I actually agree, their show (As long as Wheeler is gagged in the production room) is not bad, it just can’t compete with PTS once Brunt is back. Once hockey season is upon us, it will be far beter listening to the stable of hockey talent at TSN than the Kypreos/Richie Rich segments.

August 23, 2011 9:46 am

Gerry, i’m in total agreement that Cybulski’s show is better suited for the morning slot, and that Richards is borderline unlistenable.

If i’m TSN i have to be very careful about how i plan my next move. If Cybluski gets pasted in the ratings for the next 6 months, then moving him to the morning will look like an admission of defeat. But dislodging Richards at this point would look even worse. It’s not an easy decision.

I suspect that Hayes eventually gets the drive time slot, and Cybulski takes the mid afternoon one, or maybe they co-host a show for a while. If Richards bombs in the ratings next September then you move Cybulski to the morning.

Also, TSN should consider making their drive time show 2-6 or 3-6. The 6-7 hour is PTS’ strongest, and i reckon TSN could boost their overall ratings by refraining from competing against it.

August 23, 2011 10:22 am

if someone feels like fixing my /b tag for me then it won’t look like i’m shouting.

Roger
Roger
August 23, 2011 10:22 am

Richards can be good – if they give him a co-host. I would team him up with Cybulski in the morning. They might as well concede to the fact they’ll be blasted in the drive home ratings competing against Bob et al. McCown annoys me but he and his show has a strong following and the only way TSN can dislodge him form the rating is to steal him from 590. I would suggest to them that they at least try to get him.

As for the drive home spot, Hayes would be listenable, especially with Macko but even if I enjoy them they’ll won’t be able to win the ratings war.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
August 23, 2011 10:29 am

Roger I think you have a very good idea. TSN will not want to have the public embarrasment of having Richards career end at TSN similar to Krystal at the Fan. By providing him with a legit co-host this may be a way to save face for them. But as Mike stated, TSN has to really be careful and softpedal their way through this. Really is a catch 22 situtation for them in that they don’t want to throw in the towel too soon while at the same time you can’t afford to destroy your own product by watching him drown for months on end.

Question becomes, does Richards Ego prevent such a solution from being possible? Whose name comes first Cybulski or Richards? Petty point, but part of me thinks Richards has an ego. We know the size of ego on the other station at the drive home show.

Roger
Roger
August 23, 2011 10:39 am

Gerry,

How about using this name for the new morning show: Dick & Balls. Get it, dick for Richards and balls for C-balls???

But seriously, it would allow each of those two to use their strengths and not try to be something they’re not. Despite their best efforts, Richards is not a sports expert and Cybulski is not funny or cool.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
August 23, 2011 10:41 am

At least you didn’t suggest Balls Deep with Dick!

Chef Mike in Burlington
August 23, 2011 11:09 am

I have never understood what the whole Richards thing was about at all. I listened 2-3 times, and I found it fine, but nothing for me to give up my 680 and ESPN for.

Hayes is the true star of the place, and will end up against PTS sooner than later. Cybulski and co might do well in the morning, but Toronto loves their 680 and CBC and that’s a hard nut to break. I hope Dan Patrick kills Blair, he’s too whiney for me, despite knowing everything (just ask him!!).

My TSN friends tell me they are still pleased the way it has gone so far, but the fall ratings book will likely decide the fates of several programs or at least formats.

Roger
Roger
August 23, 2011 11:15 am

Hayes isn’t bad. Like Brady, he channels Jim Rome a little too much for me. He also has to refrain from using the terms, “at the end of the day” and “it is what it is” and the non-word “anyways”.

sean
sean
August 23, 2011 11:19 am

Roger. …That was brilliant.
Please tsn dick and balls…make it happen

Darrell
Darrell
August 23, 2011 11:32 am

OK FAN 590 – you got rid of Andrew Krystal after a year of pleading to remove him from the air… I’ll get on a Greg Brady soapbox and start a petition to get him off the FAN airwaves. He constantly mentions he was in Detroit, the past couple of days about Justin Verlander and rambles on and on…

And Don Kollins actually thinks Jim Lang & Greg Brady are better than Landry & Stellick were? The ones who needs to go is Don Kollins & that idiot Deacon Farraway.

William
William
August 23, 2011 11:53 am

If I were running TSN Radio, the afternoon drive show would eventually be Dutchie & Hedger (one she’s back from mat leave). There’s some real brand loyalty there with those two and I can easily see people listening to them on the drive home and then loyaly watching them on SportsCentre at 10 pm (kind of like Don Taylor in the Vancouver market).

I’ve heard Dutchyshen a couple times on the radio and he’s good.

Chris F.
Chris F.
August 23, 2011 12:17 pm

I’m of the opinion that TSN dropped the ball by not having Onrait and O’Toole on the mornings or the drive home. Yeah they can be juvenile and such but I think those two have awesome chemistry that would connect well with the younger crowd they seem to want to appeal to.

oh well….

Chef Mike in Burlington
August 23, 2011 1:28 pm

I guess that actually begs the question of “who is the real Toronto sports media customer?”.

With only 1 station it was easy, everyone who really liked sports, but now the field gets much more muddy. Now we have 550 in buffalo everyone gets, we have 1050 that everyone gets, and of course interent radio. If you have an iphone, you also have TunedIn radio as well as BB options as well.

I gues the question, is who listening to what and should stations be aiming at age or sport groups??..makes you go hmmm…

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
August 23, 2011 2:59 pm

The ones who needs to go is Don Kollins & that idiot Deacon Farraway

Speaking of The Deacon did he get his afternoon summer gig this year? Other than half an hour here and there of PTS I haven’t listened to enough of The Fan this summer to know.

The Londoner
The Londoner
August 23, 2011 3:10 pm

Brady is a local boy, from the forest city. The fact that he mentions Detroit so much, or that he worked there sounds for us very normal. Sorry it gets on the nerves of you Torontonians. Detroit sports are very much a part of southwestern Ontario.

dennes7
dennes7
August 23, 2011 3:24 pm

Chris F….I agree with you 100% percen,t Onrait and O’toole might save 1050.

sean
sean
August 23, 2011 3:59 pm

They (onrait and o’toole) hosted a couple of Fridays ago. I did not hear it, anyone have thoughts on it?
I may have to go digging into some podcasts to find out.

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
August 23, 2011 4:32 pm

Had to drive up north this Am
For some reason flipped to fan/590/robbers/minolta/goodyear tire handy cam.. did not hear bbblllaaairrr
(not a bad thing)
Did the suits & loafers send him to media school or has he been iced??
Nice to hear”Joey” at least he knows how to run a radio show!!
Soo much better than a guy whom is clearly lost on radio and has turrets to boot!!

August 23, 2011 7:00 pm

Blair is on vacation……….but don’t worry he will be back after Labour Day if not before, along with everyone else (McCown, Brunt, Lang, etc)

Joey Vendetta’s list of guests today included several hockey players (Patrick Kane, Colby Armstrong, Sheldon Souray, etc)…………I have almost no desire to hear hockey players interviewed during the season but in August it is even less appealing………..Dan Patrick’s show was the easy choice for me this morning

Billy
Billy
August 23, 2011 10:22 pm

Ok. Maybe I’m hypersensitive. Or petty. Or bigoted. Or whatever. But I just can’t stand Bryan Haye’s fake American accent. Isn’t the guy from Toronto? Otherwise he seems to have a good radio voice – certainly better than most of the other talent in the market so why the ridiculous affectation?

As soon as I here his voice I think, “What else about this guy is fake?”

Phew. I’ve said it. Done now.

Tom
Tom
August 23, 2011 11:13 pm

The real name for this blog should be “bitching daily about the FAN 590”