Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

Hurricane Irene is going to play havoc with sports on the East Coast this weekend!

Here’s your drive home lineups

On FAN 590 tonight

Rob Faulds sits in for Bob McCown. His co-host from 5 to 7 is Michael Grange.

4:00 – Cary Kaplan, President of Cosmo Sports Marketing, in STUDIO
4:25 – Mike Wilner, Jays guru
5-7 – PTS Roundatbale with Faulds, Grange, Stellick, Shoalts

On TSN Radio 1050

TBA

Tonight on Sportsline:

Mark Hebscher & Bubba O’Neil discuss the Yankees grand slam performance, was Fred Couples forced to take Tiger on the Presidents Cup team, will Nascar drivers accept Danica Patrick and what would life be like for Mike Vick if he was white?

That’s tonight at 7 on CHCH.

Stephen from Waterloo
Stephen from Waterloo
August 26, 2011 5:32 pm

I miss the bikinis…sports is good and serious stuff and all, but the bikinis were just the little bonus of linking to TSM.

dsj
dsj
August 26, 2011 6:09 pm

TSN radio the big winner in the dog days of august sports radio. With all the vacation, new hosts, fill-in and schedule changes I am finding my radio on 1050 more than 590 by a landslide. Here are my listenening choices the past week and curious what others are doing:
Morning- can’t listen to Brady alone and the dude on TSN is a poor mans don Landry and has no sidekick like Marsden or Stellick to make the program listenable. So I get my music fix on CBC radio 2
Dan Patrick vs the Fan has been an epic rematch and proves to be the best sports radio in Toronto
Stellick wins the noon to 2
2-4 is Hayes by default
Drive. TSN hS had a good week. C-balls and Bob Mack is better than I thought and a clear winner over Foulds and Grange it shows me how arrogant the fan is to EVER present such a full show in the most important time slot.

Sorry for spelling and grammar. Thanks steve jobs.

dsj
dsj
August 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Epic mismatch not rematch.

PBI
PBI
August 26, 2011 6:12 pm

They should have Gord Stellick from 6 AM to 7 PM and they’d win every time slot!

AM I RIGHT, FOLKS?

Chris F.
Chris F.
August 26, 2011 7:02 pm

I notice Joey Vendetta said he’s on all next week (presumably in Blair’s spot still) I just hope this isn’t some kind of experiment to bring him to the Toronto market. At one point I had had enough of his fluff and switched between Stafford on 640 (he had one of his better shows in a while IMO) and 1050 for the sports.

August 26, 2011 7:08 pm

you would have to pay me to listen to that roundtable.

August 26, 2011 7:48 pm

You would have to pay me to listen to Joey Vendetta interview one uninteresting hockey player after another in mid-to-late August

RJ
RJ
August 26, 2011 11:05 pm

Can’t think of a worse roundtable foursome…what would others put forth as their squarest round table??

dsscpu
dsscpu
August 26, 2011 11:51 pm

Agreed with OP saying we need Bikini OTD!

Miracleviolence
August 27, 2011 9:39 am

Worst roundtable is Kirke, Doug Smith, and the drummer for Gordon Lightfoot.

Ami Angelwings
August 27, 2011 6:11 pm

The worst roundtable requires Faulds to be host, since any other host would generally mean you get somebody halfway decent >_>;;

I actually usually like Shoalts (I find him adorable xD ) but… that entire roundtable last night felt like it was just Shoalts complaining about kids these days -_-;;

And I’ve grown to love Grange lately, but this is honestly one of the worst roundtables in my memory -_-;;;

What would be the worst roundtable (not involving special guests) possible? 😮

I think it’d prolly have to be… Faulds, Deacon, Stellick and Kirke. If I ever heard a roundtable of those 4, blood would come from my ears…

Chris F.
Chris F.
August 27, 2011 6:32 pm

The worst possible roundtable ever would be Shannon, Deacon, Paul Jones and Kirke

Ami Angelwings
August 27, 2011 6:42 pm

Didn’t that happen recently? or was it Stellick instead of Deacon…

I like Jones tho… at least more than some of the others… Shannon’s pretty grating tho -_-;;;

lagerandale
lagerandale
August 27, 2011 6:46 pm

I’m a loyal fan guy, don’t mind the regular morning show, like blair, Stellick can’t handle it by himself, same with Smith, only good thing about HS is Kypreos(and I used to hate him), Bobcats the bomb. When the Fan “reorganized” they made many mistakes. Some are obvious but here’s my take on a couple more. I wasn’t a big fan of Hogan but I found myself listening to him filling in for whoever at TSN. Fan should have kept him. He was decent in a crappy time slot. I used to enjoy Stellick but my God its August and it keeps coming back to hockey with him. I gotta think the only reason he’s around is for Leafs colour if they get it. I am enjoying DP and think he will be awesome come NFL. That’s what I’m listening to. Oh ya, worst round table, Shannon, Stellick, Jones and Kirk.

Sam
Sam
August 27, 2011 7:20 pm

Heh, for a moment when I saw Deacon as part of the worst roundtable I thought THE Deacon…

My worst – Kirke, Shannon, Stellick, Faulds. If you had Blair hosting these three I imagine the group of them could be even worse. But Faulds makes it on individual merit.

dave
dave
August 27, 2011 7:22 pm

if TSN wants tp be serious about beating the fan here’s some idea’s

1. talk to Corus about swaping radio feeds 640 for 1050. TSN moves closer to the fan and Corus moves closer to news talk 1010.

2. hire Nelson Millman former GM of the FAN to run the new TSN Radio 640.

3. move Brian Hayes to 4pm and Cybulski 1 – 4,

4. hire Tim and Sid as the new mourning duo.

5. move Mike Richards to the late night and let him lose unsensored radio. scrap ESPN late night except the weekends.

line up
mournings with Tim and Sid
the Dan Patrick Show
hockey at noon
Cybulski and Co
Bryan Hayes Show
Game Night
late Night with Mike Richards

Ami Angelwings
August 28, 2011 3:50 am

I only like Faulds as a replacement host b/c if you get a strong personality as co-host, he just shuts up (like Bruce Arthur was pretty much host, that one time they did it together) but otherwise, he just bugs me so much -_-;;; And I miss BA 🙁

@Sam omg, Kirke, Shannon, Stellick and Faulds would be PAINFUL! D:

On another note… what would be ppl’s BEST roundtable (it doesn’t have to have happened)? :3

Since Arthur is out of the equation I’ll say:

McCown, Brunt, Perkins and… Grange I guess… xD

I have a quesiton by the way, if anybody knows the answer to…

Is Mike Wilner banned from PTS when Bob is on? o_O B/c he’s one of those guests (like MacLean used to be) who only shows up when Bob is on vacation… like he shows up constantly w/ Faulds and Shannon (even on the round table w/ Shannon!) and Blair… but I’ve NEVER heard him on w/ Bob.

Is there something about Bob and Wilner? (b/c Wilner would be my 4th for the ultimate roundtable)

Ami Angelwings
August 28, 2011 3:53 am

Oh wait! Mary Ormsby! Why did I forget her xD Okay, Bob, Brunt, Perk and Mary 😀

August 28, 2011 4:02 am

I agree with many of the people here……….my least favourite roundtable would be Faulds, Shannon, Kirke, and Paul Jones………and it would be even worse if Millard or Toth was host instead of Faulds, but thankfully those two don’t fill in for McCown anymore like they used to

My favourite roundtable would probably be McCown, Brunt, Friedman, and Arthur…………but since Arthur has defected to the enemy I guess I would put someone like Doug Smith as the fourth member, or maybe even someone like Ken Campbell

Ami Angelwings
August 28, 2011 6:45 am

Oh god, Toth… I forgot all about him >_<;;;

Sam in Oshawa
August 28, 2011 8:27 am

Wilner has an opinion and csan be some what annoying,i like his style.He was close to J.P. THIS IRKED BOB so he was banned.Bob will not have Wilner on but rolls out the red carpet for Eric Tillman a child molester,go figure.It is a shame Wilner does know bball and is a good broadcaster.COX,KIRK,GRANGE,FAULDS,SHANNON,DEACON plus afew more i have forgotten unlistenable.Sad state of radio in T.O.

Sam
Sam
August 28, 2011 9:17 am

While I’d agree that Grange is poor when he has to do a lot of talking, he’s often very good when he can interject one or two key points every few minutes.

August 28, 2011 9:28 am

Sam – according to the Tillman police reports, he groped a baby-sitter. This was obviously a bad thing to do, but it’s not child molestation. I suspect that his appearances on PTS are part of Bob’s efforts to rehabilitate the guy’s public image. I don’t think it’s right to use the show in this way, but Bob obviously considers him a friend. We’ve seen how PTS has been used to prop up the FOB, so this is par for the course.

I’ve never completely grasped Bob’s dislike for Wilner (other than the obvious ways in which Wilner is generally unlikable). I would have thought that, as a result of the Cito/Wilner suspension fiasco, Bob would befriend Wilner using the “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” principle. I find the JP Riccardi explanation unpersuasive, since Blair was a JP guy and Bob gets on with him well enough. I wonder if it’s because Bob thinks of himself as a knowledgeable baseball guy, and Wilner once cornered him at the Christmas party and tried to explain why Joe Carter’s OPS+ makes him one of the worst regular clean-up hitters in Jays history.

August 28, 2011 9:29 am

sorry, should have addressed my earlier comment to Sam in Oshawa

Sam
Sam
August 28, 2011 10:40 am

I’d pay (a little) to see a McCown, Blair, Wilner, JP roundtable.

Chris F.
Chris F.
August 28, 2011 11:17 am

LOL Sam there’d be blood on the floor. I have a feeling that one of them would actually forget they’re on the air and curse out the others.

Anyways, dream roundtable would be Bobcat, Brunt, Friedman, Blair

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
August 28, 2011 4:26 pm

here’s a couple of things TSN should do if they want to compete with the Fan 590

1. talk to Corous about swaping radio dials 640 for 105. TSN moves closer to the Fan and Corus moves closer to News talk 1010.

2. Hire Nelson Milman former 590 GM to run the new TSN Radio 640. 590 has never been the same since Milman left.

3. Move Mike Richards to late night’s.

4. before the fan does hire Tim and Sid as the new mourning duo.

5. give the hockey show to Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie

5. give Mike Hogan the 9:00am to 12pm – time slot

6. move Brian Hayes to 4pm and Cybuski to the 1- 4.

new TSN line up

the Tim and Sid 6-9am
the Mike Hogan 9-12 pm
Hockey Today with Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie 12 – 1
Cybulski and Company – 1-4
the Brian Hayes show 4- 7
Late Night with Mike Richards 11pm

Ami Angelwings
August 28, 2011 5:06 pm

Did Wilner rly corner Bob and explain that? o_O I figured it was something like that… that Bob doesn’t like being told he’s wrong about baseball, and he esp doesn’t like the newer way of looking at baseball, which is how Wilner is a lot. Like Bob still believes that catchers calling games is rly important, and Wilner doesn’t, Bob loves stealing bases, while Wilner understands that it can be a negative if you don’t have a high percentage… and if Wilner tried to explain this stuff to Bob, I can imagine Bob getting pretty angry >_>

I never considered the JP thing… but as somebody else said, Blair’s a JP guy too…

The Tillman thing drives me up the wall… but at least when it happened Bob didn’t defend his friend, and said that he honestly didn’t know how to deal w/ it… which is better than “no! he’s a great guy! he couldn’t have done it!” or something… and I thought the discussion about whether the Argos should hire him (it was him, Brunt, Arthur and Griffin) was pretty fair… but yeah, then after he basically gave Tillman the rehab interview -_-

I dun get the Grange hate :\ I see Grange as Arthur-lite… he’s not an old stodgy guy who hates new media and he also gets the “newer” stats and ways of looking at sports too… tho I am way more on side w/ Arthur’s opinions on stuff than Grange… I like hearing Grange talk way more than almost any of their other regulars outside of Bob and Brunt xD

It’s nice to know I’m not alone in what I think of Shannon, Cox, Faulds, Toth, Deacon and Kirke though…

I’m confused about the dislike about Jones… why dun ppl like him as a broadcaster? o_O I find him middle of the pack :3

Ami Angelwings
August 28, 2011 6:36 pm

Hmmm.. now I’m thinking what regular guests that PTS has on we’d like to see on a roundtable… :3

I think I’d like to see Rovell on… and Don Banks… and Michael Heistand…

I would love to see Shulman, but he’s a TSN property now :\

Keith Law…

a full 2 hours of Becker might be too much to take xD And I wonder how high his voice would get by 7pm? xD

I actually rly enjoyed Anton Thun when he was on… and if they’re going to have a sports agent on, I’d rather him than Kirke (is he there only b/c he’s BFF w/ Bob?)

I like Lester Munson too but he might talk too slow and deliberately for a roundtable…

PBI
PBI
August 29, 2011 12:08 am

Becker co-hosted with Bob for a week or two a few years ago, smart guy but his voice and delivery get annoying after a certain period.

Alex
Alex
August 29, 2011 5:36 am

Funny to consider lester to not be roundtable, since he was part of the great chicago “sportswriters on tv,” one of first talking sportswrier roundtable shows.

Sam
Sam
August 29, 2011 5:56 am

I think Lester would be good in the “each person takes two minutes to deliver lectures” a la ESPN the reporters. But he could be a little bit deliberate for the more back and forth of the PTS format – where from time to time they all like to cut each other off and talk over each other