Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

Here’s your drive home lineups

On FAN 590 tonight:

Jeff Blair sits in for Bob McCown. His co-host from 5 to 7 is Michael Grange.

4:00 Stephen Brunt, Globe & Mail

4:15 Bruce Arthur, National Post
4:30 Jarkko Ruutu, Free Agent NHL Forward
4:45 Paul Kelly, former NHLPA Executive Director
5:15 Darren Dreger, NHL on TSN
5:30 Mathieu Schneider, NHLPA
6:00 Jarome Iginla, forward, Calgary Flames
6:15 Brenden Bell, former Toronto Maple Leaf or Krys Barch, forward, Dallas Stars
6:30 Keyshawn Johnson, ESPN NFL Analyst

Tonight on Sportsline:

Clint ‘Bubba’ O’Neil & Mark Hebscher discuss why some athletes struggle with retirement, Marc Savards career, the legend of Brett Lawrie, the length of Red Sox & Yankee games and the sportsworlds fascination with retiring names & numbers. This and much more, tonight at 7 on CHCH.

September 1, 2011 6:31 pm

Has anyone else noticed that whenever there is a guest on the 1050 afternoon show it is Cybulski who conducts the entire interview and Mackowycz says nothing?…………what is the point of hiring someone as a co-host if you don’t trust him to ask intelligent questions??

Gerry (burlington)
Gerry (burlington)
September 1, 2011 6:39 pm

Mike S, yah Mackowycz is very quiet as you say. Not sure what the point is. However, rather that than listening to Damien destroy an interview with incessant interruptions.

Listening to Dreger today, if I hadn’t known it was him, I would have thought it was an executive from the NHL. I understand they are being respectful to the family in not discussing the way in which he died, however, isn’t the horse out of the barn already as it relates to suicide? His refusal of this and refusal to see a potential commonality between Rypien, Boogard and Belak seems intentionally naive. No one has to make assumptions or conclusions, but shouldn’t an investigative reporter in the sports world be asking hard questions?

Chris F.
Chris F.
September 1, 2011 11:46 pm

Did anyone listen to the Nilan interview on PTS? Holy Jesus! The man came off as a completely ignorant piece of crap. I really felt bad for Blair and Grange having to conduct the interview. It was so bad to listen to I had to change the radio in the middle of it.

Don Mandrie
Don Mandrie
September 2, 2011 12:50 am

Chris F.- Completely disagree. I found Blair & Grange ill-equipped to handle somebody who wasn’t going to lean on the conventional theory that tough guys and former tough guys are headed for a post career meltdown. It was actually refreshing to hear Nilan say he doesn’t know about other guys and can only speak of his own issues which he believes came about not because he had fought but because he’s wired a certain way. In the interview Nilan also used the word “asphyxiated”. Interesting. Less than an hour earlier on the Mitch Melnick show in Montreal, Nilan was in the studio while PJ Stock was on the phone complaining about media outlets rushing to judgment. Stock said the whole story hasn’t come out and when pushed by Melnick actually used the terms “accidental death” and “strangulation”.
Nilan is the subject of a documentary that will screen next week at the Film Festival called “The Last Gladiators”. As you will see, he is anything but an ignorant piece of crap.

Chris F.
Chris F.
September 2, 2011 1:01 am

Well perhaps it was just the way he came across to me. I’m not going to say that it’s all interconnected but it does seem to be fishy that these guys have all died under circumstances that leads one to “connect the dots”. Maybe I was too harsh in calling him a piece of crap so I take it back but I still think some of his answers came across as “defending the game/lifestyle”

I am interested in seeing the movie though so maybe my perceptions will change.

Rome
Rome
September 2, 2011 3:04 am

I didn’t listen to C&C today but sometimes it seems that Cybulski does interviews before the live show. So that might be it.

I think the frustration comes from that this topic is never taken seriously from the higher ups in the NHL or even the NHL media. Some say it might be too to talk about the current incident, and maybe that’s correct. But is it too soon to talk about the pervious couple of enforcers who passed away just this summer? That’s what they said then, then they give everybody shiny objects to distract (the jets are back, new faceoff positions) and it’s then forgetton. So when will it be okay to talk about this incident and what shiny object will distract everybody so it’s not discussed.

We have a great player in Savard who going to retire, and probably the greatest current player still doesn’t know when he’s reutrning. Hits that this leagues considered okay at the time (which looking at them is absurd to think they were okay) We have the hockey culture excusing it away. We are seeing the same thing this summer with this inicdent with fighters.

Sam in Scarb
Sam in Scarb
September 2, 2011 4:23 am

Ahh It’s Friday,hoping for the best PTS round-table EVER. Blair,Wilner,Shannon and Kirke.

Robinaurora
Robinaurora
September 2, 2011 8:01 am

Sam…sarcasam is the lowest form of wit. However that was a pretty good one…not so much funny as a comment on the quality of that show when McCown is off the air…

I don’t blame Dreger. This is a tough issue to report on. He is a hockey reporter, this is absolutely nothing to do with hockey. I don’t blame him for distancing himself from the suicide angle – If I am him I let the Sun staff wallow in the muck…BTW are we actually waiting to see if there is a David Caradine slant to this death? I have a hard time believing that…That won’t end well if its true

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
September 2, 2011 8:36 am

FYI the NHL.com in their story describes the death of Belak as Suicide and the methodology.

I don’t “want ” TSN to wallow in the muck of how this young man lost his life. But to get on a soapbox and essentially claim other papers are jumping the gun when the league itself is telling the same story.

My primary point is that TSN has never held the NHL to a higher standard. They rely on their cozy relationship with Bettman et al in order to maintain the scoops they get at trade deadline day etc…

If TSN really is the #1 leader in hockey coverage be prepared to ask this league to explain itself on a myriad of issues from concussions to fighting to how the game is officiated and rules enforced.

While I still watch much hockey on TSN I find their so called reporting to be disingenuous.

Sam
Sam
September 2, 2011 9:38 am

TSN is following the NFL model where there’s no criticism of the league or clear analysis of issues like the Michael Vick “comeback”.

Chris
Chris
September 2, 2011 10:07 am

@Robinaurora — yesterday I thought there just might be a “Caradine” slant to this story as well. The general consensus seemed to be suicide, yet, for whatever reason, it isn’t being officially reported as such.

Chef Mike in Burlington
September 3, 2011 10:43 am

In a creepy way the Caradine “death by misadventure” angle will be lot more palatable to the pro- fighting crowd. To think he died that way will make them all sleep better then the fact his punch addled brain, beset by lesions and bruising led him to depression and suicidal thoughts that finally acted on and carried out.