What Are You Looking For In Toronto Sports Media?

So, the calendar has turned and we are moving from Summer to Fall. Like sands through the hourglass……so does the Toronto Sports Media world. The question is what do we watch for next?

You may have some ideas, but here are some things I think we should watch in the world of Toronto Sports Media radio:

Dan Patrick is doing fairly well on TSN radio. How will Patrick do when the Maple Leafs/NHL are in action? Is this the success a trend or rather just a sign that summers on radio really do suck in Toronto?

Cybulski and Company were having a tough time when there were 2 competitors with track records. The Bill Watters show is no more. How does that impact the TSN Radio drive home show? It’s always good to have a choice, will those that used to listen to Watters turn up the dial to 1050?

Bryan Hayes has the task of going head to head vs. Sid Sixeiro and then Hockey Central at noon. How will Hayes fair? He is able to talk about all the major sports but doesn’t have a long track record in any. I happen to like listening to him. Am I alone? Is TSN on to something by not doing a hockey show at noon or is it a HUGE mistake?

Richards, Richards, Richards. It’s put up time or shut up time. TSN can’t, and I say they won’t allow this train wreck to go on all that much longer if his show stays this weak and the numbers continue to reflect it. It may not be tomorrow but this show must improve. Right now it’s not listenable. When the NHL/Leafs kick off things must dramatically improve or the smiles on the faces over at Rogers will just become permanent.

Contracts- McCown’s deal is out there, I Brunted it was as good as done. I’m told that it remains as good as done, but it aint done yet. Is it just Bob making Rogers sweat it out or is there something more going on here? I hear things are nasty with one of the folks at hockey central. Could that open the door for the likeable (sans Stelicktricity) Gord Stellick to host the show?

1-4? Will it be Tim and Sid or Tim or Sid, or could an outsider be brought into the mix?

Congrats to Michael Grange who is a new permanent co-host on the Jeff Blair show. Also, in the where they belong file, Andrew Krystal is talking news over at CityTV (EVERYWHERE)! Good on Krystal who was dealt a lousy hand for landing a gig that will better suit him. Krystal doing news is something I will watch.

What’s ahead on tv and print?

I’ll tackle those later, what’s your thoughts, what did I miss?

Alex
Alex
September 5, 2011 11:00 pm

As I said in today’s afternoon drive post, Grange as permanent co-host is good in that means no more Cox but bad in that means no more Brunt.

And this was after Bob called Grange 4th on the co-host depth chart today.

Marsh
Marsh
September 5, 2011 11:02 pm

Lots of things to ponder. It will make for an interesting fall. Is the post 7 pm world a write off? Krystal will probably surface on the new CITY TV news channel where he will be a good fit going up against SUN TV. Too bad we don’t dissect the news move as well with all the folks from CFTO moving to CITY.

Alex
Alex
September 5, 2011 11:03 pm

Oops. I thought it said Grange was new co-host of PTS. Guess my synapses jumped since Blair has been hosting for Bob too much recently.

I still we would get Cox off Prime Time. There are days I don’t listen when he co-hosts.

Chris F.
Chris F.
September 5, 2011 11:10 pm

Krystal would be a great anchor for a news network and could see him put up against Adler on Sun TV.

As for the sports side I think the next few months will be key for TSN Radio. Maybe Richards will fare better if indeed they put his show on TV.

As I said earlier I like the byplay between Blair and Grange and if it means less phone calls then i’m happy!

dsj
dsj
September 5, 2011 11:22 pm

Patrick, smart, sophisticated, polished, and fun this will be the only WIN by TSN. in my opinion here is must see/hear sports chatter and thanks to technology we can listen when we want.
1 PTI
2. Dan Patrick
3. PTS
4. Mike and Mike.

Frameboy
Frameboy
September 5, 2011 11:38 pm

I can’t STAND the Dan Patrick show… it’s HORRIBLE. It’s a sports ripoff of Howard Stern of a middle aged man trying to be funny with his silly nicknames and half baked jokes. Horrible… and that’s the BEST of TSN Radio.

I’m so disappointed in TSN Radio.

I love B & L in the morning… great show. Grange is good too, glad to have him with Jeff Blair, it will make it more listenable.

dave in bolton
dave in bolton
September 6, 2011 12:12 am

TSN should hire tim and Sid for the mournings and move Richards to late night he is better suited for late nights.

September 6, 2011 2:00 am

I have always said that Blair’s show would be better with a decent co-host so having Grange there should help, although I’m not sure he would be my first choice……….are they still going to call it the “Jeff Blair Show”??…………..I had planned to listen to Dan Patrick much more than Blair this fall but the addition of Grange might change that to some extent

According to the 590 website it looks like Paul Jones will be hosting the 2:00 to 4:00 show for the next two days………….if that is true someone really should tell the people at 590 that the key fall ratings period has now started

PBI
PBI
September 6, 2011 2:00 am

I still think TSN Radio should go through at least a couple of months of the Leafs season before making significant changes to their programming schedule.

I’m not a fan at all of any of their shows because there simply isn’t anywhere near the demand in this market for the amount of CFL talk on their airwaves (and I understand that the reason for that is their TV deal with the league) but they took to the air after the Leafs season ended and September to April is the most important time for any sports station in this city so they should at least give it a shot. If their Leafs coverage is good, I’m sure they’ll get some people to turn up the dial.

September 6, 2011 2:13 am

Nice update.

I’m may be in the minority here, but I’m pleased to hear that TSN isn’t running a noon time hockey show. I’m happy to hear hockey talk, but I find those noon hour hockey shows to be too indepth, too ‘inside’. As someone who is more of a casual hockey fan, it’s just too ‘hardcore’ for me to hold interest. I used to find it very frustrating that there was no sports alternative to that hour. I haven’t been listening to TSN much, but I will definitely check Hayes out from noon to one if I’m in the car then. I like that call – plus Kouleas is dreadful (in my opinion).

I’m not a big Hockey Central listener, but I’d like to hear Stellick as host over Millard. I find it hard to listen to Millard at the best of times. At least Stellick can host a general sports show in the summer, as well.

As for Cybulski, my personal opinion is that I just don’t think the show works. As others have suggested, I could see Bryan Hayes filling the drive home slot sooner or later.

I’m very interested to see what The Fan does 1-4. I think Tim and Sid would be a great move. It would essentially give the kind of young show that TSN seems to be going for with Cybulski, but the success of Tim and Sid’s podcast/satellite radio show would indicate they have a much better chance of pulling it off. It would be a shame if just one of Tim/Sid came over. They’ve already a fun chemistry.

Honestly I haven’t been listening to Richards, so I didn’t realize you found it that bad, TSM. Is it ‘Krystal on The Fan’ bad? Speaking of Krystal – I watched his segment on City. He did well, I thought. Glad he’s moved on.

Like the Blair/Grange move. The Fan has taken a lot of criticism this year (much well deserved), but if the new lineup is Brady/Lang, Blair/Grange, Sid/Tim, McCown – to be honest I think that’s pretty damn strong. TSN Radio may not have had a great start, but we likely have it to thank for The Fan stepping up it’s game, at least.

mario
mario
September 6, 2011 3:22 am

I find it hard to belive with all the puck heads over at TSN that they are not running a offical hockey show at noon I think that will change in time…Hockey Centeral at noon had strong mumbers the past couple of years..I am sure Hayes will talk a fair bit of hockey not to loose ratings..
Blair and Grange is a good fit should make a better listen..Mc Cowan no one is going to touch him no matter who thet put up against him he is just that strong…
Richards next…he better inpove the clock is ticking.. Brady/ Lang still have work to do has its ups and downs…
Have listened to 1050 quite a bite over the summer for something different Dan Patrick is good but just to much american content for my liking..

Sam
Sam
September 6, 2011 6:21 am

I was disappointed to hear MacLean got a new contract… actually the only thing that really bugs me with HockeyCentral is when they dump all over the host (Millard, Brady)… I just find it annoying and in bad spirits (even if its “acting”, I don’t need to hear it)… do people actually like that stuff?

Sam
Sam
September 6, 2011 6:28 am

Also, I wonder if the Fan and/or TSN are ever going to start charging for their podcasts? I have to admit, given the access to the free podcasts I’m now much more likely to listen to their live programming.

Dan Patrick went to a partial pay model. They used to have these great free daily podcasts called “Best of the Dan Patrick Show” where they’d just have a selection of interviews but they cut that off several months ago, presumably for their transfer to the pay model.

Robinaurora
Robinaurora
September 6, 2011 7:54 am

I hatge the |Fan noon hockey show. 2nd rate (3rd?) on air personalities. Millard is an embarrassment and MacLean will never work in the league again, plus he’s awful on the air. Kypreos could be better with better co hosts.
Isn’t Kouleas coming back with a noon hockey show I assumed he ws on a summer break…

September 6, 2011 8:20 am

Sam: I wonder if the Fan and/or TSN are ever going to start charging for their podcasts?

never ever post this ridiculous suggestion ever again. don’t give them any ideas. we know they read this blog.

Blair + Grange will pair up beautifully if they can coordinate their propensities for pregnant pauses. each can step in when the other realizes that you need to have some sense of where a sentence is going to end when you start it. on the other hand, this might also yield whole segments of dead air, ums, uhs, sighs, and “like … i mean … yeah …”

as unpleasant as Wilner is, he is a very competent broadcaster in terms of delivery, cadence, and words-per-thought ratio. His week long guest pass on PTS really brought to the fore just how far away Grange and Blair still are from being professional broadcasters.

lt67
lt67
September 6, 2011 8:21 am

I think McCown is waiting for the Schenn deal to get done….to see where the market is.

Rob in Aurora
Rob in Aurora
September 6, 2011 9:27 am

Question: Does anyone know – Is Kouleas not coming back to TSN radio at noon with a hockey show? TSM mentions no noon hockey show on TSN 1050, but was that announced already? Kouleas is annoying, but I prefer him to anything the FAN can muster. 4 hours of Brian Hayes is too much IMO (I do think he’s improving though – but he’s not a 4 hour guy)

Jax
Jax
September 6, 2011 10:18 am

Nice Update…

Notice how Mr. TSM never posts anything negative about the un-listenable Greg Brady? I turned Brady off after about 5 minutes again this morning…nothing new there… Brady is horrendous.

trackback

[…] days are over? He stays involved in hockey, of course. That's exactly wha more… What Are You Looking For In Toronto Sports Media? – Toronto Sports Media – torontosportsmedia.com 09/06/2011 What Are You Looking For In Toronto Sports Media?Toronto […]

Drumanchor
Drumanchor
September 6, 2011 11:16 am

Grange is very good, so I am glad for him. (I’m also a fan of his writing — all good.)

TSN radio has been very disappointing to me. Mind you, it is still early, so we’ll see how this sits next year at this time.

Dan Patrick is entertaining and an alternative to the, seemingly, endless hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey (concussions!!!), hockey, hockey. Wonder if it will last.

McCown is not going anywhere, I would bet. Too comfy for him and why leave when the going is good?

Neal
Neal
September 6, 2011 1:18 pm

I like the fact that Blair is getting paired up with Grange. Reminds me of when the Fan first started, they used to use Steve Simmons and Mary Ormsby…2 scribes. So this will augment the Sportsnet magazine to be sure by having 2 scribes on the radio. I have always like Bryan Hayes even though he is new to the scene. Has a vast sports knowledge and a delivery that mirrors Dan Patrick. So that works rather well. The rest of the evaluation has to take place once the hockey season gets underway. Will 1050 have a pre/post game show once the broadcast on 640 ends (affirmative with Jonas there)…what will the Fan be doing…more importantly, will 640 have a pre/post game show or will they just do the game and leave the rest for the other stations to haggle with. There’s a winter of channel flipping ahead to be sure. It would be nice for Mike Richards to have more of a morning interview type show with a serious tone to provide listeners with some real choice in the morning. If he was the #1 voice in Calgary then why not be able to use that track record here in Toronto? The only way to do that is have more of a McCown-like show in the morning.

d.
d.
September 6, 2011 1:23 pm

FWIW, McLean was just on with Stellick & said something along the lines of: ‘Looking forward to being back on the McLean & Kypreos Show with host Darren Millard…’.

Sam
Sam
September 6, 2011 1:42 pm

@Mike (IB) – heh – agreed, that post should probably be deleted!

Also I concur that Wilner acquitted himself quite well last week on PTS. And that if Blair and Grange can coordinate their pauses and filler words they could be a good tandem.

September 6, 2011 2:36 pm

People always complain on here and on websites about Bob Cole or Joe Bowen being “homers” for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The worst “homer” has to be Mr. Michael Wilner of the FAN & Toronto Blue Jay radio broadcasts. How can everything the Blue Jays do be “perfect”, nothing wrong to critique them and how can JP Riccardi & Alex Anthopolus’s moves be perfect? The team never spends and Wilner leads the charge saying that the reason the Blue Jays cannot compete is not because of their idiotic roster moves but the reason why they cannot compete is because of the Yankees or Red Sox? Wilner is the biggest whiner on Toronto sports radio right now.

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
September 6, 2011 2:54 pm

I thought Krystal had a “I’d rather be anywhere right now than doing this” look on his face when he was reporting on homeless/panhandler people on the news.

Victor
Victor
September 6, 2011 2:56 pm

I’d love to see Armstrong and Smith back together on the Fan 590 but I guess that can’t happen if Jack is on TSN right? But is he still the only guy that does both TSN and Fan 590? So maybe that door is open.

Either way, I’ve enjoyed Smith for the most part this summer. But maybe his time is over because I have not heard him at all for a week or two and it seems like his name does not come up at all when Mr. TSM mentions the latest Fan 590 afternoon show rumours.

I think I’ve said before I like Tim and Sid but I’d be surprised if the Score let those guys go. If they do I think that officially seals the end of The Score.

September 6, 2011 3:08 pm

Bob Weeks is another guy that seems to appear on both 590 and 1050…………..I am a golf fan so I am hoping he is allowed to continue to be co-host of the Saturday morning golf show on 590 even though he is a TSN employee

Less Than 12 Parsecs
Less Than 12 Parsecs
September 6, 2011 3:55 pm

Although I like both guys a lot on their own, there’s a small issue with adding Grange to Blair’s show: Grange has a halting, far-from-smooth delivery that’s quite similar to Blair’s. While this is usually an indication that each is actually *thinking* before speaking (unusual for so many radio hosts) I think this will be a show that will get on people’s nerves for reasons they can’t quite pinpoint.

dave
dave
September 6, 2011 4:11 pm

Mike S, I think Weeks gets away with both because he’s a “ScoreGOLF Magazine” guy. Thus freelance.

September 6, 2011 4:19 pm

Darrel – Wilner was suspended by The Fan last year for being too critical of Cito Gaston.

He’s not a homer, he’s just not reactionary – unlike most callers to his show. (ie: player has a terrible game, therefore he’s finished. Or the Jays have a bad month – team is doomed for the next 5 years). That’s my opinion anyway.

September 6, 2011 4:22 pm

I respect your opinion Daniel but I couldn’t disagree with you more.

September 6, 2011 4:38 pm

Fair! Wilner is a love or hate kind of guy. 🙂

September 6, 2011 4:44 pm

I am not going to attack you Daniel. I don’t know you and you don’t know me. However – you say that Wilner does bash the Blue Jays, yet you can only name me one single time where he has. I’d be interested in hearing from you or anyone else besides that idiot Don Kollins screwing up the FAN 590 programming and going through that charade of suspending Wilner – name me something else where he has actually had the onions to say that the Blue Jays have stunk in this area (whatever that area maybe?). Everything CANNOT be PERFECT and par for the course if this team has not won in 18 years and makes excuses and cries and bellyaches about the Yankees & Red Sox success and doesn’t at all express discontent with Blue Jay management. That’s all I am saying.

September 6, 2011 4:48 pm

My favourite Wilner moment on 590 was five years ago when the Jays finished in 2nd place one game ahead of the Red Sox (who had a ton of injuries that year)…………Wilner said it was very important and symbolic that the Jays finished ahead of the Red Sox, even though they didn’t come close to making the playoffs…………he said it would pay dividends in the next few years…………….many people are still waiting for those dividends…………..but I’m sure Wilner would be defiant and say he was right about that because he thinks he is right about everything

September 6, 2011 5:35 pm

The thing I actually find annoying is actually a trade that kick started the downward trail of the Blue Jays and Wilner’s defiance in saying that Riccardi won the deal trading Paul Quantrill to Los Angeles for Luke Prokopec & Chad Ricketts. Are you kidding me!? Or how about his defiance in saying that trading Alex Gonzalez for Felix Heredia or Felipe Lopez for scraps made them a better team? I am not a Jays fan, but I am a baseball fan and this arrogance is a total butt kisser for the Blue Jays.

Can you tell me the last time you saw this sort of arrogance from Joe Bowen or Bob Cole – “two Toronto Maple Leaf homers” (in some minds)?

RJ
RJ
September 6, 2011 5:45 pm

What were people low moments in sports media this summer?
1. Mike Rutsey of the Sun claiming in July that all the Jays’ blown saves were irrelevant and meaningless in their win/loss record
2. Over-the-top calls around these parts for more instant replay in baseball after a bad call at the plate goes against the Jays, only to be followed by the sounds of silence when they benefited from umpiring incompetence
3. Embarrassing overblown defensiveness in the ‘stealing signs’ scandal. Anyting to play victim to the mighty Yankees, I guess!
4. Toronto Sun dedicating page after page weekly covering and analyzing a football team and a league nearly no one cares about
5. Unfailingly favourable coverage to every move made by the Jays GM, even the ones which can’t be judged for years and years. He literally got the benefit of every doubt, yet the team is 9th in the AL with several young players stagnating/regressing before our eyes

Tom
Tom
September 6, 2011 7:05 pm

Great having Grange on Blair’s show – that way I can not listen to them at the same time! If they move Hayes to the drive slot I can see myself ditching Bobcat – just tired of his angry old man routine

chuck
chuck
September 6, 2011 8:48 pm

It’s true what you say about Bob. “Time to call in morons” Hardly respecting your audience.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
September 6, 2011 8:52 pm

The dissappointing beginning of TSN Radio. Aside from Dan Patrick really not much of interest for me.

The continued demise of PTS, particularly in Brunt’s absence.

Another summer of Rog….

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
September 6, 2011 8:53 pm

Previous comment by me was in response to RJ asking for lowpoints in Sports Media this summer.

Stephane
Stephane
September 6, 2011 9:37 pm

I’m really let down with both the Fan and TSN. Richards is a nerd, I’ve tried to listen, it’s just no good. He referred to Flea as the singer of the Chilli Peppers the other day and noted that the Jays were right to “trade” Jojo Reyes…. The morning on the Fan are terrible as well. I actually listen to the CBC most mornings now, at least they’re interested in keeping an audience.

Another Steve
Another Steve
September 6, 2011 11:03 pm

This morning I was driving to work at 5:45am. I am a huge tennis fan, and Alex Sexeiros (sorry about the spelling) went into a lengthy description in the 6am report about how Wozniacki lost her match on Monday night. I could have sworn that I saw that she had won when I checked the scores on-line before I left the house. Anyway, at the 6:20 update he reported that she won, and I wondered what the heck happened the first time around. Did he arrive late and was just reading random results? It was really baffling. (At 6am he also said that Federer “had to” play 3 sets, when there is no chance that he could play less than 3 sets.) I couldn’t help but wonder how many people would notice if he butchered the hockey scores like that. Anyway, perhaps he was just as tired as I was.

September 6, 2011 11:16 pm

The tone of the comments section has gotten so crazy negative! I mean that’s fair, but I guess a lot of people are listening to stuff they really hate.

Darrel – by no means did I imply that Wilner’s Cito fiasco was the only time he’s been critical of the team. That was just a fairly recent obvious example.

I mean, we go back looking through blog posts, trying to find criticism I guess. Off the top of my head though, I’ve heard Wilner say, from prior to the ’10 season to now that he feels the Jays still have a ways to go before contention, and seems to eye 2013 as a realistic goal. Hey, personally I find that moderately pessimistic…if playoffs are expanded (as expected) I don’t see why there couldn’t be a run in 2012 if savvy moves are made.

What else? He’s been critical of the handling of Snider. Critical of the dogged determination to keep Jojo Reyes in the rotation. He’s not calling for anyone’s head since Cito, but frankly, nor should he. AA has done a real promising job thus far. (And praise of AA is not limited to the Toronto media. National US writers like Jonah Keri, Keith Law and Jon Heyman have all basically had huge boners for what the guy has done – take an average, older team with few prospects and turn it into one of the top rated farm systems in baseball within two seasons)

You do realize that the examples of homerism you’re giving are his takes on three really insignificant trades from ten years ago? (And frankly, Prokopec was actually considered a hot arm at the time – I liked that move at the time too).

In my opinion a guy like McCown is far more biased towards the Jays (which frankly, I’m fine with. He admits he’s a fan).

Hey, you hate him, you hate him. No sweat. But I don’t see Chuck Swirsky-style rampant homer-ism in his work.

September 6, 2011 11:21 pm

LOL – I completely forgot about Chuck Swirsky; he was just a big a homer to the Raptors as Mike Wilner is with the Blue Jays.

September 6, 2011 11:23 pm

I will say though that Wilner can come across as really rude, argumentative and unnecessarily contrary. Even though I like him, I do get how some people can’t stand the guy.

Ami Angelwings
September 7, 2011 2:49 am

Wilner was critical of the decision to keep Bautista as the every day RFer instead of giving… that guy who’s name I can’t remember any more a look-see xD (the guy that tore up AAA and as like 31 and is now in Japan)

I mean he was wrong, (and he admitted he was wrong), but he was critical of that. He’s critical of the way they treat Snider… he didn’t like having him bat 9th… he doesn’t like the idea of having an every day closer if you don’t actually have an effective one…

I’m unsure what he should be critical of right now? The Jays have been making a lot of good moves, they have a lot of youth, and are acquiring more youth and prospects… that’s stuff Wilner likes (even if you disagree that they are the right moves).. I would think any team that does that he would be positive on. :]

I personally love Wilner, and if he weren’t taken, I would ttlly want to date him xD (mind you, I feel the same way about Bob and Brunt, and they’re like twice my age xD )

What? I find smart sports ppl rly sexy >_>

Why does everybody have to be married!? XD (Arthur too!)

ANYWAYS

I tried to listen to TSN radio, but whenever I listen to Cybulski and company, Arthur is never on and it makes me sad 🙁 I caught him on ONCE, and that was recently talking about hockey fighting and he was AMAZING! I want them to just get rid of everybody and let me listen to him talk for 3 hours *_* (though he prolly needs somebody to talk against >_> or with…)

I am not impressed by the other ppl on TSN though… and is Dan Patrick the syndicated US show? Cuz I wasn’t impressed w/ that one either… :\

I think Grange as co-host w/ Blair is a great idea though! Blair needs somebody to talk w/, and when he’s just monologuing, my ears bleed…

Hockey shows are OKAY… I mean like most Canadians, I can listen to hockey talk, but I don’t like it when ppl tell stories about hockey players they knew or something (looking at you Kypreos and MacLean)… I prefer analysis…

also I second whoever up there said that they don’t like it when ppl pile on the host… I don’t like it either -_- I hate anything that comes off as “gimmicky” or trying to be edgy or whatever… e_e It seems so.. childish…

Ami Angelwings
September 7, 2011 2:51 am

Oh, as much as I like Mike though… his brother Norm is even SEXIER intellectually… I’ve loved listening to him on Christmas Eve the last 2 years w/ Mike <3 (their bickering is cute too XD )

Drumanchor
Drumanchor
September 7, 2011 10:36 am

If anyone here had to host a post-game radio phone in show, like Mike Wilner has done FOR YEARS, you’d get pretty cranky, too.

Night after night of callers who think they should be a GM but have yet to figure out a way to move out of their mother’s basement, etc.

I’m sure it would wear thin very, very quickly.

As a matter of fact, I remember McGown doing it and it was quite clear he hated it. Much ruder to callers than Wilner but for some reason that was accepted as “edgy”.

Carm
Carm
September 7, 2011 12:23 pm

Caught Grange and Blair this am and I agree with the comments of others. Their halting delivery is riddled with pauses,full stops, incomplete thoughts, umms, ahhhs. They are very hard on the ears.

Ken
Ken
September 7, 2011 3:55 pm

I wish some on here would just have the balls to call a spade a spade. Mike Wilner is not a homer!! Obviously there are many who do not like him and wish they would just say I do not like him instead of making up things.

Personally I find him refreshing in an age where people only crave to affirm their view point rather than learning something.

September 7, 2011 4:23 pm

@ Ken – I don’t like Wilner! He is a homer and I do have the “onions” to say it to his face!