Sid Seixeiro Joins Rogers Sportsnet Fan 590

As we’ve been telling you for awhile the Fan has been chasing Tim and Sid from the Score and well at least so far they’ve landed 1/2. Multiple sources have confirmed to me tonight that Sid Seixeiro will be the new host of the 1-4 slot on Rogers Sportsnet Fan 590.

Will he be solo? Will Tim join along? I have no clue. I am told that negotiations are ongoing with Tim and Sid and that Sid was comfortable and excited enough about the opportunity to get the deal done solo.

So sports fans, there you have it.

Meanwhile, I have to give an enthusiastic thumbs down to Barb DiGiulio of the same Rogers Sportsnet Fan 590. I’ve been listening to Barb for a long time and I am a fan of hers. Today wasn’t her brightest moment.

We have seen too many times in the last year media types jump the gun on news. It’s worse when deaths are reported incorrectly and it just happens too often in this social media twitter world.

So today as the horrors of the air plane crash start to emerge I was thinking to myself please let the MSMers out there not speculate on who may have been on the plane. No sooner than that happened, CBC started speculating about Colby Armstrong’s brother perhaps being on the plane.

Barb DiGiulio didn’t retweet that, but rather reported it (not that in fact he was on the plane, but rather that he may have been):

“We are now hearing that Riley Armstrong, brother of Maple Leaf Colby Armstrong was on the plane”

Thankfully, whomever was telling Barb that was wrong and Riley wasn’t on the plane.

DiGiulio has since deleted the tweet.

Now, I am not perfect. I make mistakes all the time and I can only imagine how badly DiGulio feels. Hell I posted jokes about the crash in attempt of levity when I heard it. So I am not above reproach by any stretch.

Having said that, Barb delivers the news. She is seen as reliable news source. Same with the CBC for that matter. Can we have a new rule? When it comes to matters of death, before we report someone may be dead, can we all wait a few minutes to get it right before we announce it. There are no awards given for breaking the news of someones untimely demise. I give more brownie points to accuracy as opposed to speed when it comes to stories of death.

On a lighter note, what do you think of Sid on the Fan?

jeff charney
jeff charney
September 7, 2011 11:31 pm

The Score is done…well almost done. If they lose Sid and Tim they got nobody. I used to love the score tonight with sid tim and Cabbie. Which reminds me, their death began with letting cabbie leave. Gooodvye headline sports 🙁

mario
mario
September 7, 2011 11:51 pm

Excellent pick up by the Fan 590 ..Sid is a real treat to listen to..now if we can get Tim to join him that would a strong 1-4 time slot..both have a great sence of humor and know sports.. as for Barb she should have known better, she’s a veteran at her job especially in light of all the tragic deaths the past few months..

Victor
Victor
September 8, 2011 12:01 am

Nice pick up for the Fan 590. I’d still like to see Smith in there in some capacity but Sid should be very good. I can’t imagine the impact this will have on the Score now.

Victor
Victor
September 8, 2011 12:08 am

Is there a timeline on this Mr. Sports Media?

Syn
Syn
September 8, 2011 12:11 am

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I was expected Tim, not Sid. How or why would Sid leave a platform where you can basically do anything you want to be just another radio host? The dollars must have just been loony. I wonder if this is an old ESPN situation where The Score just severely underpays their talent and hopes they don’t go elsewhere. Unless this is part of a wholesale transfer of the Tim and Sid: Uncut crew to Rogers, which I will be more okay with since while I don’t think Sid solo can run an entertaining clean show, I think Tim and Sid can keep it in the realm of PG while still being entertaining.

Though I do ask myself, do these people listen to the stuff that Sid says before doing this? I mean, Damian whatshisface got fired by voicing his support of an opinion that not a small amount of people have, but that’s nothing compared to what Sid has gotten away with. Which is why I love Tim and Sid:Uncut, and will be sad to see it go.

I’m still in a state of shock right now, and I don’t think I’ve processed the implications properly yet. If Tim goes with him, that’s curtains for The Score.

Josh
September 8, 2011 12:34 am

I’m going to miss Sid on the mid-week edition of the Footy Show. I kind of assumed he was on the way out considering he hasn’t appeared on it yet this season. He is a good pick up for the Fan though.

I miss the days of Tim and Sid doing theScore highlights. I used to watch it all the time. Nothing they (or only Sid) do on radio can match that.

September 8, 2011 1:59 am

As for The Score being done – their satellite radio station wasn’t renewed by Sirius, so that IS done.

It does seem like they’ve been moving away from high profile TV personalities. But I believe they actually are doing really well with their web and smartphone content. I believe their Score app is incredibly popular in both Canada and the States.

I think The Score itself is doing fine, it’s just been shifting it’s priorities to different mediums. In that way, it’s definitely differentiated itself from Sportsnet and TSN.

As for Sid – I think this is a cool choice by The Fan. I would be more interested hearing Tim and Sid together rather than just Sid, but I would still be interested if it’s just him solo. Their podcast is funny, and they know sports. Their style is VERY different from the old days of The Fan (Stellick, Hogan, Landry, Swirsky etc). Tim and Sid talk a bit too much UFC, soccer and NFL for my tastes … but yeah, I’m definitely intrigued.

Mike
Mike
September 8, 2011 2:40 am

really, really intriguing situation if Tim doesn’t join him. I think they need to be a duo to get the best out of each other.

Assuming Tim goes – what next for the TheScore?

I’m still shocked that they haven’t lost any of their soccer analysts/commentators – they are leaps and bounds better than the bores trotted out by TSN & Sportsnet

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
September 8, 2011 7:04 am

It would be quite intriguing if it turned out Tim goes to TSN Radio.

As for Barb, do not understand why people want to jump on speculative news especially as it relates to loss of life. Sorry but seems to me some people still treat their Twitter like it is a forum where mistakes are okay. Watched an interview with Colby Armstrong where he mentions he hadn’t talked to his brother in awhile and called the family to find out where Riley was. Can only imagine some cousins/friends probably started hearing the reports and must have been very scared.

Jamally
Jamally
September 8, 2011 7:17 am

Love TIM and SID. But if Tim doesn’t come I don’t mind the combination of Eric Smith with Sid. That also works and I believe they’re buddies already.

Though the best situation is Tim and Sid on the Fan 590

Jamally
Jamally
September 8, 2011 7:19 am

It will be interesting if they allow Sid (and Tim if/when he comes) to talk as much UFC, soccer, and basketball that they normally do. They should.

Time for new radio guys that don’t just talk hockey hockey hockey.

September 8, 2011 7:52 am

The Summer of Roj drove me to try the Tim&Sid podcast.

The opinions on that show are, in my opinion, the real strength: well argued, well articulated, and well thought out. This kept my interest even on topics about which I had no previous interest. That should translate to the FAN even if it’s a solo show. But the FAN loves call-in shows, and I worry that a Tim &/or Sid show where they have to take calls on last night’s Leafs game will be a disaster.

Also, they do talk a lot of UFC and soccer which will be a turn off for the FAN’s core audience. Sid’s over the top style will probably rub some people the wrong way and boost Bryan Hayes’ ratings, since his style is more straightforward.

I can see this show struggling for a while but I think it should eventually be a moderate success if the FAN sticks with it.

Drumanchor
Drumanchor
September 8, 2011 8:02 am

I might be just a tad too old to dig Sid’s “style”, especially if he is going to try to bring a UFC and soccer angle to his show. However, good luck to him as I hope he does well.

As for Barb, do we really think she is a journalist? Really?

She is a reader. Plain and simple. She even works with professional wresters — what does that tell you.

Darrell
Darrell
September 8, 2011 8:41 am

The Score still has Renee Paquette and while I am not a wrestling fan, she is easy on the eyes… That’s for sure.

headsup
headsup
September 8, 2011 8:55 am

Sid is a great get for the Fan. Hopefully Tim will follow.
That is disappointing to hear about another death announcement blunder. Everyone makes mistakes. It is just disappointing how disrespectful journalists/writers/reporters can be when it comes to announcing deaths. I didn’t personally know anyone killed in yesterday’s crash, but it is still a great human tragedy to have such a large loss of life (whether the crash victims were elite athletes or not). I guess such a blunder illustrates that the news/sports business is merely a business, where the athletes, coaches, etc. are just comodities for financial proffit before they are human beings. It will be interesting to see if any apology comes forward for the blunder. I doubt it will.

September 8, 2011 9:07 am

Headsup: It will be interesting to see if any apology comes forward for the blunder.

why apologize when you can just delete the tweet?

it’s pretty pathetic when news readers for local stations think they have to break news. Barb heard some chatter and rather than calling an Armstrong and waiting to get a confirmation she just repeated what she read elsewhere. I thought you were supposed to get a 2nd independent source? Maybe TSM can get a comment from the FAN/Rogers on what journalistic standards were used before tweeting this story.

one might have thought that Damien “the grim reaper” Cox’s informing Pat Burns that he had died would have changed the game when it comes to reporting deaths on twitter. I guess we still have some growing pains. The Fan needs to own this mistake.

packers33
packers33
September 8, 2011 9:38 am

Sid is a good get for the Fan. I’ll miss Gord though. He will always be the voice of the Fan in my mind. But I am happy to give Sid a listen, I just hope he doesn’t show up on Sportsnet Connected. Listening to him and Micaleff do hilites on the Score used to make my ears bleed.

Sean
Sean
September 8, 2011 10:33 am

Had a twitter conversation with Barb over this whole thing, Here is her justification. I 100 disagree, but its her side of it.

“I was not stating it as fact, but as a report. My error was in my wording. ‘We are hearing’ should have been ‘CBC reports’.”

“The deciding factor is whether it is of interest to the listener. Speculation okay if it’s made clear that is what it is.”

” Speculation is not irresponsible if based on relevant things like team rosters. As long as it’s stated that it’s speculation.”

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
September 8, 2011 10:40 am

@Sean, thanks for the information. Sounds to me like she has Damien Cox working legal counsel for her!

pdh
pdh
September 8, 2011 10:43 am

For over a decade Barb DiGulio has been misreporting not only game details, but also very serious items such as a potential death as she did with Riley Armstrong. Earlier in the summer she was also reporting on her news updates that O.J. Simpson was going to confess to the killing of his wife on Oprah (or some other irrelevant talk show). Of course it was bull and was pulled after a couple of hours, not to mention that Mr. Simpson was locked up behind bars and surely would not have got a day pass to go on national TV. Yet Barb reported it as a “breaking story”.

Barb has a two year diploma in “Radio Tech” from a community college, yet has the nerve to call herself a journalist. Too bad the deep thinkers at Rogers/FAN590 didn’t put a stop to her nonsense years ago… remember all the crap that she talked about with Chuck Swirsky on a daily basis. Scandalous and frivolous could be one way to describe the so called news she brought forth. No wonder Barb has been stuck at the FAN her whole career while desperately seeking a TV news gig. The answer probably is because Barb can read a script very fast, and that is about it — little to no original intelligent thought has ever spewed out of her mouth.

Jax
Jax
September 8, 2011 10:43 am

I expected Kollins and the other decision makers at Robbers to do something stupid again and this hire is about as bad as Brady and Krystal. The only listeners who would listen to Brady or Tim and Sid are the younger generation who wouldn’t know talent to save their lives. Anyone hear Brady and Lang talking about balls this morning? What an absolute joke!

Anyway i’ll be listening to Hayes at TSN between 1-4 at least he will talk hockey and knows a bit about the sport unlike some of these hacks Robbers has put on the FAN.

Ya sure Tim & Sid are real talents that’s why the score is going under right and they are looking for work. Who will be the next big FAN hire Curly Larry & Moe? LMAO

September 8, 2011 10:47 am

thanks Sean. you should ask her why she deleted the tweet rather than just posting a follow up.

At least she is being honest that she holds herself to the same journalistic standards as TMZ.

PBI
PBI
September 8, 2011 12:08 pm

At this point, I’m just excited to have Stellick off the air so the commenters here can suggest him for practically every other radio job under the sun.

I would have liked to see Sid and Tim as a package deal because the chemistry they have is a known quantity and would fit in well in the afternoons but Sid even by himself is a huge upgrade over Stellick.

September 8, 2011 12:11 pm

If it’s just Sid going to the FAN i wonder if Stellick would go over to the Score to pair up with Tim? They could be great together.

Chef Mike in Burlington
September 8, 2011 12:55 pm

Didn’t listen before, won’t listen now. I like Hayes and will give him a shot, Sid can do his UFC thing without me.

Scott R
Scott R
September 8, 2011 3:41 pm

First off, there are no signs of this article even being true.. the only material I can find about Sid leaving The Score are on this site, and a couple people on Twitter. It’s pretty ironic that in the same article that points out journalistic integrity and reliable news reporting when the first half of your story seems pretty rumor and Twitter based rather then going off of anything substantial. I’m not bashing this site, I enjoy it very much, and if Sid does goto the FAN then I will stand corrected but I don’t buy it.

Second, to all of the commenters, I don’t know why you all think Tim and Sid is so MMA heavy? Sure they do bring up MMA topics from time to time, and it’s true that Sid has a deep passion for MMA. But they talk about everything, it’s a perfect blend of sports and off-topic conversation and it’s a great show.

Tabber
Tabber
September 8, 2011 3:47 pm

I guess I’m out of place reading this blog. I know I make mistakes all the time, so I don’t seem to fit here. Sorry to have intruded on all you perfect people and your perfect lives. I guess Cliff Fletcher wasn’t a reputable source, and the CBC isn’t one now, but so many of the posters here are. Again, my apologies for marring the web site with my imperfections. Enjoy your perfect lives, I’d envy you but I recognize I’m human, unlike you aliens.

Dileno
Dileno
September 8, 2011 6:02 pm

Why does everyone say that Gord Stellick is gone now that Sid has come on board for 1-4? Gord has been doing 12:00 to 1:00 or 12:00 to 2:00 all summer, the rest of the timelsot was a grab bag of Roj, Eric Smith, Paul Jones, etc. Hopefully Gord will remain with the Noon Hockey show and Leafs pregames.

September 8, 2011 7:27 pm

I could see Stellick doing 12-1 … if The Fan ends up getting the Leafs pbp, I imagine he might get some kind of role on there too.

September 8, 2011 7:28 pm

By the way – looks like Sid is still working at The Score: http://blogs.thescore.com/timandsid/

Not 100% finalized yet? Or an agreement to finish out the week at The Score? Something like that?

Gerry Q
Gerry Q
September 8, 2011 7:42 pm

Love Tim and Sid, hope they still end up together again.
Also loved the score when Cabbie joined in. IMO, they were the most entertaining…
My fear is that the Fan ‘may’ stifle him some.

Get this, I’m not some young kid, but in my 47th year.. I guess that either makes me immature, or proves I still have a sense of humor ( no reason to get all bitter and ornery due to age ) btw, I like boxing AND mma ( don’t have to hate one just b/c you like the other )

Current podcast playlist.. (in no particular order)
Mohr Stories
Jim Rome (jungle insider)
Primetime Sports
Brady and Lang
Tim and Sid Uncut

Mike Cohen
Mike Cohen
September 8, 2011 8:45 pm

Once the OFFICIAL announcement is made by Rogers Media this will be a bigtime pickup by PD Don Kollins. If this means Gord Stellick is the new Host of Hockeycentral at Noon thats awesome. I can’t stand Daren Millard. But I hope this means they’ve gotten rid of Doug MacLean but I saw in another post that unfortunetly they gave that windbag a new contract. Hopefully Micallef joins as well.

Tony Toronto
Tony Toronto
September 8, 2011 10:08 pm

What a terrible post. Do you not think that these drastically different stories deserve their own posts?

I’ll save my opinions for a more conclusive post, but Sid Seixeiro joining Sportsnet is interesting and exciting.

Sean
Sean
September 8, 2011 10:24 pm

” will be a bigtime pickup by PD Don Kollins”

Id be shocked if it was a Kollins hire. Moore or Pelley is more probable.

“f this means Gord Stellick is the new Host of Hockeycentral at Noon thats awesome. I can’t stand Daren Millard.”

Agree with you on Millard, he seems to want to be everyones friend an not a journalist. Id put my money on Jeff Marek taking that role.

DR
DR
September 8, 2011 11:58 pm

If it is true that Sid is moving over to the Fan, I sure as hell hope that he does keep discussing the sports that the Fan largely ignores, like Soccer, MMA, hoops, etc….

There is already too much goddamned hockey and CFL talk on Fan and TSN radio. We really need more variety. The sports landscape is huge. We do we have to subjected to such a narrow offering from our MSM. This is why the Score’s website offering of podcasts is so popular. Who wants to hear endless debate about the leafs 4th line problems or who should be their backup goalie? Maybe some old piece of sh-t thinks this is entertaining sports talk but its that sort of drivel that drives people to flee MSM and haul ass to the various podcasts that actually provide interesting content. Don’t change a thing Sid. Do your thing. Too bad he can’t do the uncut version because that would be f#*%ing awesome