Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

On 590 with Greg Brady and Jim Lang:

Darren Dreger – NHL Analyst
Jamie McLennan – Leafs Analyst
Paul Calvisi – Arizona Cardinals Sideline Reporter

Martin
Martin
September 12, 2011 12:07 pm

So the same group of characters are back on The Fan590 @ 12 noon (Millard-Kypros-Mclean) with the 1pm to 4pm slot is now called The Stellick & Smith Show but for how long…..

d.
d.
September 12, 2011 12:43 pm

In an exchange between the HC crew they mentioned TSM in a roundabout way. Went something along the lines of this:

McLean to Millard: ‘You get that new contract yet?’

Millard: ‘Yeah I dunno what’s going on. That Toronto Spots blog guy knows more than me…’.

Walter Bishop
Walter Bishop
September 12, 2011 12:59 pm

Hockey Central @ Noon is back and about time. Dedicated hour for hockey talk with focus on Leafs I will listen with excitement. Note to advertisers: When looking for goods & services will make every effort to select your businesses first.
Of course I’m annoyed by MacLean+Kypreos juvenile squabbling, but better than Grange’s tongue tripping over Adam’s apple and struggling to remain engaged and relevant in any conversation. No clue why Grange was hired in the first place. Guess someone at the Fan agrees with his demotion to 9am-noon slot. Next “promotion” CityTV sports desk.

Chris F.
Chris F.
September 12, 2011 1:11 pm

That just goes to show that TSM is THE MAN!

BTW was listening to the FAN morning show this AM….Brady can handle being alone when forced to but man was Lang brutal when he had to be by himself.

David
David
September 12, 2011 1:29 pm

I have tried to listen to Mike Richards in the morning, and I just can’t do it. It sounds like he is stuck 15 years ago with the impressions and “skits” he does. Just sounds like he is trying too hard to be cool.

Another Steve
Another Steve
September 12, 2011 1:33 pm

Kypreos is very entertaining but, let’s be honest, he’s hardly cerebral. When he gets into a complex discussion, his solution is to talk really bloody loud and deep. That can be entertaining, but it’s only juvenile fun.

Listening to Grange, however, just like listening to Brunt, requires a one’s full attention span. It’s not for everyone, but I personally really like it. Brady, for example, can talk a mile a minute, and often he says nothing during that mile. It’s still entertain, of course, but that’s just his style. As for Grange (and Brunt too), I think that you can actually hear him think while he is placing his thoughts together. Some people will hate that, of course, but I find it incredibly engaging, and it makes me less-embarrassed to admit to people that listen so much to sports radio.

Chef Mike in Burlington
September 12, 2011 2:39 pm

So for the last 2 weeks, I’ve been on a PTS “fast”, no shows or podcasts in 2 weeks, instead doing 680, 550, 1410 Vancouver or even CBC when I was in radio mood.

Guess what, life has gone on just fine, further proving that even for long time PTS guys like me (10+ years) even Bobcat is more habit than hobby…

Rob in Aurora
Rob in Aurora
September 12, 2011 3:41 pm

“That Toronto Sports blog guy knows more than me”…I doubt that was a shot at TSM, I bet he really does NOT know what’s happening – he was fired, then brought back, so I doubt he’s safe (or dialed in on his status).

Millard is (and since Toth left, always has been) the weakest link on radio AND Sportsnet TV. They need to rinse him (I still won’t watch because of McLean and Kypreos). I think he is why Marek got hired. I don’t think he’s being used for much (at least that’s until until Millard gets gonged). Would he leave CBC to “fill in” on the Fan 590 and SN?

September 12, 2011 6:15 pm

Another Steve, I agree with your analysis about Brunt and why it’s ok if his delivery is a little more measured, but I completely disagree that this is an apt description of Grange.

The payoff for his tortured sentences is just not there, in my opinion. I am willing to give him some time to grow in to the radio medium though. I’m not a big fan of his writing either, so maybe we just fully disagree about the value of his opinions.

As for the TSM reference, I think two things are clear:

1) media types have large egos
2) this is the best place to discuss the work of the toronto sports media

so i just assume most of our comments are read by the relevant parties, and i’d bet that TSM‘s IP logs back it up.

dsj
dsj
September 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Tough interview with Lang and SIs Werthiem monday morning Please if you are not that competent interviewing alone at least do your research. Ugh!

RJ
RJ
September 12, 2011 9:22 pm

Walter Bishop is over the moon about the debut of a one hour hockey focused on the Leafs?? He may have just crawled out from under a rock for the first time in 20 years…

Chef Mike in Burlington
September 12, 2011 9:35 pm

Now RJ, play nice!!

We all know blue and white flu is a very long lasting affliction, symptoms include play off delusions, Cup dreams and an unceasing appetite for discussion of the 4th line winger. Treatment includes lots of Blue, watching Detroit win games and paying $120 a ticket to watch his team be out of it by February.