Toronto Sports Media Radio Ratings

So here are the end of summer numbers:

Males 25-54

Vs. Cybuslki & Co. 8.9: 2.7
7pm -10pm 8.16 from 6.4
Vs. TSN @ night 8.16: .7
10pm-1a 5.0 from 4.5
Vs TSN Radio 4.5 : 3

Highlights:

Fan morning show remains strong.
Richards on the morning is weak, up a little bit, but not enough.
Interested to see how Bryan Hayes does in his new slot.
Dan Patrick does well, will he do better in the mornings when he is live and during NFL season?
Cybulski’s numbers are up. Forget about the McCown comparisons it’s a better number in general.
Interesting that McCownless summer still produces strong numbers.

Fall book is on…This is big for all involved. Pressure is on.

September 14, 2011 9:09 pm

Im assuming Hayes is a .9 rather than a 9, correct?

September 14, 2011 9:41 pm

glad this book is out so we can forget about it. what a lousy summer of radio.

prediction time: how does each line-up look one year from now?

my guess is that in a year Cybulski & Co are no longer in the drive time slot, and are in the morning slot (potentially with Richards). these two shows are the weakest, but i doubt they can just walk away from the contracts.

TSN’s strategy should be to provide credible alternatives to the FAN in every time slot. the real interesting thing for me will be if they hand the keys to drive-time to Hayes, or try to give Hodge or Landsberg a shot instead. I would rather see Hayes and Arthur full time than old TV guys, but i could imagine TSN trying to capitalize on the name value of the older guys for a while.

The PTS brand has suffered a lot in the last while and McCown has talked straightforwardly about wanting to reduce his workload.

I’m looking forward to the next year of radio.

Marsh
Marsh
September 14, 2011 10:31 pm

Not much of an improvement for TSN. I wonder when their changes will start.
As for The Fan I guess they knew Blair was weakening and added Grange; not sure he will help.
Fan 7 pm improvement probably due to the Blue Jays.

TSM – can you please make the numbers more readable? Maybe table form? Some seem to be mistypes; for example shouldn’t the Blair comparison be 5.1 vs .9 for Hayes; same for Noon. Perhaps you could republish in table form.

But keep up the great information. There is no where else to keep up on what is going on in TSM land.

Dustin
Dustin
September 15, 2011 1:50 am

The numbers, how they are presented right now, are extremely confusing. I see a bunch of dots, and colons

robinaurora
robinaurora
September 15, 2011 7:14 am

Suggestion: use 0.9 instead of .9 – I think it will avoid confusion…Cybuski is a good alternative to Fuddy Duddy radio on 590. I am am going to ressign to the fact both morning shows are garbage and listen to John Oakley again. Rubbish on both TSN (just awful) and 590 (very very weak. Seneca College radio)

Jimbo
Jimbo
September 15, 2011 7:38 am

Brady and Lang should leave the baseball talk for Blair, they are better at the other sports.

cam
cam
September 15, 2011 9:42 am

Mike In Boston – I think it was just standard summertime talk radio when vacations hit.

However, there were two highlights for me – Dan Patrick and Brian Hayes. The lack of a credible alternative from the Fan in the afternoon slot has caused me to change my listening habits to these two shows. I am more likely to skip to 680 to catch up on news when they have a segment which does not interest me than the FAN.

TSN appears to be bucking a trend in morning shows which use a “cast of characters” rather than a solo host trying to do a cast of characters. When I think of the majority of successful morning shows they do not rely on a single host to carry it. Could surrounding Richards with strong on-air talent push Brady & Lang – I don’t know. But at this point I don’t think it would hurt!

Steve from Waterloo
Steve from Waterloo
September 15, 2011 10:13 am

Blair’s numbers going down is a bit surprising. He’s not a “puckhead” so much as he is a baseball guy. Over the summer, talking baseball would seem to be a peak time for him.

I like the “narly little voice in your head”, so I hope things improve for him.

I was in the car for 2 hours yesterday, 11 – 1. I realized near the end that in my clicking around between a local news channel, Fan590 and 550 in Buffalo that I never even thought of TSN as an alternative.

Hmmmm…

Bryan
Bryan
September 15, 2011 10:52 am

They need to get someone other than Grange. He seems like a good guy but he puts me to sleep when he asks questions. He should really stick to writing and doing radio on a part-time thing because he just doesn’t sound assertive enough. I don’t know if that comes with experience or not but put him on the night slot if he needs training.

Chef Mike in Burlington
September 15, 2011 11:01 am

I asked my TSN/Bell friends about the numbers, and they said that the summer book was “within expectations”, but the key is the next book, it’ll be 6 months in and the ad rates will be adjusted to match audiences.

In my crystal ball a year from now I see:

590 still dominating the morning show, the 680NEWS tie-in is too strong for Richards to get traction, and Cybulski or another addition/change won’t change that significantly. I suspect Richards will be replaced/moved.

Dan Patrick will grow and Blair will suffer. His only strength is baseball and with the Jays likely still sucking, Patrick’s football coverage and national view will soon win the slot.

Hayes will be moved to afternoon drive from the noon to 4 slot he is now, maybe replaced by Richards, Cybulski or another TSN name, FAN will still dominate this timeslot.

Overnight, the Sammut experiment will (hopefully) end and I suspect ESPN will eventually win overnight, not that anyone really cares about dominating the 2:30 to 3:30am timeslot.

Or maybe I’m full of crap, we shall see…

Matt
Matt
September 15, 2011 12:04 pm

@ Chef Mike in Burlington

Overnights are pretty much the only thing in which TSN Radio 1050 beats Sportsnet Radio Fan 590. Competition is great. Here’s hoping that competition stays and 1050 is able to cut into the 590 audience a little bit more.

September 15, 2011 1:57 pm

Steve – I think the radio ratings collecting process is considered inexact enough that a slight drop like Blair’s wouldn’t really be read into too much. I believe for them it’s all about the larger trends.

Dileno
Dileno
September 15, 2011 2:36 pm

I wonder how much of a factor the lousy reception on 1050 is to the poor ratings?

Mike (in Boston): What do you mean by Bob McCown’s workload? He is on the air for 3 hours like everybody else and gets about 2 months of vacation?

September 15, 2011 3:18 pm

Dileno – Bob has mentioned several times that he would like the “Johnny Carson” schedule, which i think means working 3 day weeks or something.

Now that he has a somewhat permanent cast of official co-hosts it is much more likely that he could negotiate a reduced workload. I don’t regard these things as unrelated, but what do i know …

William
William
September 15, 2011 3:42 pm

“Hayes, in afternoon drivetime, will still lose to PTS, but I think he will carve out a significant audience (well beyond Cybulski’s) of those tired of PTS and wanting a new voice.”

Hayes already went up against PTS when he was at 640. Granted, he had Bill Watters there to weight him down. But he made absolutely zero dent.

Chef Mike in Burlington
September 15, 2011 4:21 pm

@William…A good point, but i think there are significant differences here.

First, no Watters around will help him significantly, but also TSN is dedicated to sports and has deep pockets for marketing, as opposed to 640 which is talk radio that had lot of sports programming.

It’s also a different time, TSN appears to be skewing younger, a true alternative to PTS which is increasingly becoming McCowan’s personal bully pulpit.

I used to enjoy PTS, but find it harder to listen to every week, especially when the part-timers sit in. How many others are like me and want a non-PTS local sports option? I suspect more than you might think…

September 15, 2011 4:39 pm

Chef Mike: How many others are like me and want a non-PTS local sports option?

another way to ask the same question is: what makes PTS great, and how could a different show replicate that while at the same time avoiding PTS’ weaknesses?

I would say that what makes PTS great is a combination of engaging intellectual topics plus interesting guests. For example, there really is nothing better than hearing Lester Munson interviewed whenever there is a legal topic. He’s a fantastic guest, and any show with guests like that is going to be interesting. But you need a host who is going to ask insightful questions that get the best out of the guest. This is where Bob can sometimes shine. That being said, I think fewer than 50% of PTS segments are at that high level. At this point you couldn’t pay me to listen to Bob talk to Elliott or Kypreos or Barker or Zaun.

I think TSN is part of the way there. But to really compete with PTS they need to prioritize pairing A-level guests with their most cerebral interviewers. To my ear, only Hayes and Arthur are capable of competing with Bob + Brunt when it comes to handling guests.

September 15, 2011 6:02 pm

“How many others are like me and want a non-PTS local sports option? I suspect more than you might think…”

Well, there have been non PTS local sports options for a few years now. Watters with Marek/Brady/Hayes and now Cybulski. It’s not like there haven’t been alternatives for a while … I’m not sure why there’d be much more than the ratings have suggested.

Adam
Adam
October 4, 2011 3:40 pm

I think for a show to make a dent in PTS’s dominance they would need a LONG leash – way longer than current media thought allows. I also think they will need to wait for the next generation of broadcasters (or reach back in time) to find a host that can cause anywhere near the interest of Bobcat. Cybulski, McCormick et al are just to PC and milk-toast to strike a chord (in my opinion). Hayes has a bit more sandpaper…but not sure he is cerebral enough…