Gord Stellick Jumps From Sportsnet Fan 590

Top of the morning and a happy Friday to you all.

As I alluded to on Twitter last night,the CBC, Hockey Night in Canada has replaced part of the role Jeff Marek played for the network. Gord Stellick will leave the Fan today and start hosting HNIC radio on Sirius. In addition he may do some digital work and make the occasional appearance on tv too.

Although not confirmed, look for David Amber to pick up Marek’s role on the tv side.

On the subject of change, TSN radio has replaced the producer on the Mike Richards show. Not the type of change many had hoped for but change nonetheless.

Congrats to Stellick, the choice of many a fan and an all around good guy.

So how many of you listen to Sirius radio for hockey coverage?

Paul (from Hespeler)
Paul (from Hespeler)
September 16, 2011 8:43 am

I am not a huge Gordon Stellick fan, but I must give him credit for for hanging in doing bit jobs for the FAN and for SportsNet over the past year. Good on him for switching to a stable operation as no doubt he would have been on Don Kollins short list to axe.
On that note, since Kollins arrived the station on has a handful of on air personnel left and a large Slye of poor hires have been made. Interesting how the ratings are still strong but that seems to alinge with Rogers overall business philosophy of delivering the lowest quality acceptable to the public and maximuming profits. Substance has never been a priority with the Don Kollins era at the FAN.

Rob in Aurora
Rob in Aurora
September 16, 2011 9:00 am

Well said Paul. That is Rogers’ MO in all their businesses. (Jays seem to be the only exception to this, but judging by the standings, your statement rings true there too).

Stellick is an improvement over Marek. CBC wins that trade. I am not a huge FAN of Gord’s. But if he only talks hockey, he’s fine. His ability to talk pop culture is limited to references to Beatles songs for music and WKRP or Seinfeld episodes. That’s about the extent of his general knowledge…that said, he is a likeable guy and I can’t say that about even one remaining FAN personality.

Rob in Aurora
Rob in Aurora
September 16, 2011 9:01 am

….I don’t listen to Satellite radio unless I rent a car equipped with it (which is a rare occasion). I won’t be springing for it any time soon either (no interest or added value to me)

September 16, 2011 9:14 am

A definite improvement for CBC.

The Amber move is obviously PC motivated but Stellick knows his stuff – at least when it comes to hockey. He seems like a good guy who can also work on the TV side as well.

sinnacle
September 16, 2011 9:22 am

Yes Roger heaven forbid a guy who has worked nearly 20 years horning his craft at TSN and ESPN gets a job on merit and skill.

walt
walt
September 16, 2011 10:07 am

I love how people more than a little sensitive about race issues always jump at the idea that someone was hired because they were black or Asian. Tells you something about them, no?

As to Stellick – the man seems entirely free of the egocentric attitude that seems common in the media industry. Never said no to a job, any job, and was/is always willing to perform. Good for him.

World needs more of him.

Lee (Oakville)
Lee (Oakville)
September 16, 2011 10:14 am

I’m glad to see that Stellick landed on his feet. As a previous commenter noted, while his knowledge range is limited he came across as a good person. Unfortunately, that quality is lacking in many of today’s radio personalities.

Any update on what Don Landry is doing or where he might land?

trackback

[…] heels of the report that Andi Petrillo is headed to CBC, we now have word of two more additions. The Toronto Sports Media Blog is reporting that Gord Stellick and David Amber are on their way to CB…. Stellick will replace Jeff Marek as the host of HNIC Radio on Sirius. Amber would likely replace […]

Walter Bishop
Walter Bishop
September 16, 2011 10:31 am

Congratulations Gord I’m very sad to see you go, since I am not a Sirius subscriber and will not in the foreseeable future.

For numerous reasons I can’t listen to Jeff Marek. For every 5 minute segment Marek forces a cringing reaction within me. I can’t listen to Marek even when he’s talking about my beloved Leafs. This is definitely an example where host will cancel out topic, I am forced to listen to another audio stream.

Hockey only broadcast is Gord’s strength, he will love working at HNIC were passion for NHL is not a detriment.

Again I wish him the best of luck.
This transfer out of free radio hurts.

HNIC radio consider podcasting, just a suggestion.

September 16, 2011 10:32 am

How do people here feel about Friedman as radio host or co-host? I know he appears on PTS every now and then, but he seems like the next “name” guy out there to be lured into a regular radio gig. The opinions are solid, he’s not dogmatic about the NHL as far as I can tell, and he’s fairly articulate. I don’t know how well rounded he is in terms of other sports or bigger picture issues.

He’d make a good partner for Cybulski, or he could fill the 1-4 slot on the FAN if the Tim and Sid deal falls through.

In my ideal world he joins the Hayes show as a rotating co-host with Arthur in the 4-7 slot on TSN.

Chef Mike in Burlington
September 16, 2011 10:32 am

I’ve never listened to hockey on my Sirius so this means nothing to me. I never liked his radio voice, too nasal and whinely, and like Blair, I find both are too Toronto-centric and “one topic smart” for me to pay any attention too.

That being said, he landed on his feet doing something he wants, so good for him.

A for the Richards producer, moving the chairs on a sinking ship does nothing to stop the ship from sinking. I don’t know if he/she is a good producer or not, but that show seems to need much more change that just this.

Chef Mike in Burlington
September 16, 2011 10:45 am

I heard Steve Moore’s lawyer on the 590 podcast this morning, first one I’ve listened to in months. FINALLY, after more than 8 years, we finally have a trial date, still September of next year..I hope he wins $50Million…

Martin
Martin
September 16, 2011 11:08 am

Stellick I believe had a hockey show on sattelite radio last season before going back to The Fan……

Marsh
Marsh
September 16, 2011 11:11 am

I am also happy Gord has another permanent gig. I do no have satellite radio so unless they podcast it …

Does this move also mean the FAN will not be getting Leafs hockey any time soon.? Stellick would have been a natural fit for color man again.

September 16, 2011 11:15 am

Marsh,

Rogers and the Fan590 have no interest in the Leafs radio rights – nor do they in the entire MLS&E org’n. As I mentioned a while back, look for Bell to get the Leafs.

Rob in Aurora
Rob in Aurora
September 16, 2011 11:19 am

Ellotte Friedman’s first love was always basketball (he has said that for years). He was given an opportunity on HNIC and has taken the bull by the horns and really done the hockey job extremely well. Now he gets other assignments too (Olympics, track, etc) – For a guy with such an awkward radio voice way back when he joined the FAN, he has had a great carreer. He is a hard worker and that obviously counts for something. He started at the bottom and worked his way up. I actually wish they would blow McLean out and let Elliotte host. (No more reciting lyrics to Tom Cochrane and REO Speedwagon songs, or those maudlin poetic stream of consciousness recitations during HNIC intros – they make me throw up in the back of my throat)…

Anyway – If Elliotte took a smaller roll at CBC (on HNIC only) maybe he could arrange a radio gig Monday to Friday – he’d be very good. But the FAN and TSN are considered “Competition” to CBC sports and his bosses would prevent it I am sure. Interviews and fill in’s seem OK, but I think a real “job” in radio would never happen…(CBC has radio too)

Marsh
Marsh
September 16, 2011 12:05 pm

OT re Moore – it is still at least one more year until it goes to trial. TSM, I think that you practice law; where is the justice in that? Why did it take so long?

September 16, 2011 1:00 pm

Roger: “Rogers and the Fan590 have no interest in the Leafs radio rights”

You present this as though you are certain and not guessing. How do you know this information? TSM has been writing for months that The Fan is interested. Greg Brady tweeted something the other day about ‘loaning Dan Dunleavy to 640 for a year’. You have information they don’t maybe?

Roger: “The Amber move is obviously PC motivated”
Please explain how this is ‘obviously PC motivated’. Is your answer just ‘he’s black’? As someone wrote above, you do realize he’s worked for ESPN and the NHL Network? Your statement is baseless and reeks of small mindedness.

Walt: “I love how people more than a little sensitive about race issues always jump at the idea that someone was hired because they were black or Asian. Tells you something about them, no”

I have no idea what you’re trying to say. So if someone bristles at Roger calling an Amber hire ‘obviously a PC move’ – what does it say about them, in your opinion?

September 16, 2011 1:05 pm

I’m glad Stellick got work – if only because he seems like an awfully nice guy. If The Fan gets Leaf rights in a year, I bet he will be brought back in some capacity.

walt
walt
September 16, 2011 1:07 pm

Daniel -if you are trolling to have me to say that’s racist, no, it isn’t.

But it is a telling perspective on that person that the first thing they think of is that new hire isn’t white and that’s why they got the job.

September 16, 2011 1:24 pm

Walt – totally my bad. I misunderstood what you wrote, and thought you were referring to Sinnacle’s reply to Roger as someone ‘sensitive about race issues’. In re-reading it, I see you were referring to Roger.

Sorry for the snarky comment. I agree with you.

walt
walt
September 16, 2011 1:45 pm

I’m not sure that was written for absolute clarity, Daniel, so upon re-reading it I probably could have made my initial comment much more transparent. I certainly understand your initial confusion. No apology necessary, but thank you.

Andrew
Andrew
September 16, 2011 1:53 pm

If I had to guess, Ellotte Friedman will be the next Dan Shulman. I’d bet more than a few dollars if you put him up against PTS he’d be ahead sooner rather than later.

Great to see Gordo land a new gig. Despite widespread support here, he didn’t seem to be getting much of a roll at the Fan. As the Deacon found out earlier in the week, better to jump than be pushed.

September 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Daniel,

I can’t go into detail about the MLS&E issue but even from the outside it makes sense.

The fact that Amber worked for ESPN is no ringing endorsement. They have a pattern of going after guys like him (with a few exceptions). I can provide an extensive list of Canadians they’ve hired and the reasons if you want.

Josh
September 16, 2011 2:09 pm

TSM, you’re usually right on these things (regarding Amber), but I noticed that in the past couple weeks Nabil Karim’s Twitter bio has changed to say “iDesk Host”. So, are you sure about Amber coming to CBC to replace Marek on TV.

Here is the link to Nabil’s Twitter. https://twitter.com/#!/NabilKarimCBC

September 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Stellick just made a WKRP reference………..Rob In Aurora’s post above looks very prophetic

I don’t believe Stellick has made a Russ Adams reference yet but there is still time left in the show for him to do it

September 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Roger – Well, regardless of why you think ESPN hired Amber, it’s still an impressive credential.

I mean, it’s not like HNIC hired some guy straight off Rogers 10 or OMNI. You know? He’s a high profile guy. There’s just no reason to assume they hired him because they were looking for a minority host. Maybe they wanted someone young, or liked his look. Or just generally feel he’s a good broadcaster (which I assume).

Rob in Aurora
Rob in Aurora
September 16, 2011 3:33 pm

I am usually never wrong about anything…just ask my wife. (I am kidding to all of you ready to pounce)…
If I had to guess, I would say Gord makes a reference to WKRP at least twice a week and more often when he was on the AM show. What a great show WKRP was, but it hasn’t seen rerun airtime in years on basic cable in the GTA.

By the way – The TV ads for McCown and his PTS gang are quite creepy. Like, almost to the point of making me cringe. With those very affected facial expressions and pale white complexions – they also all look like a bunch of wrinkly cadavers come back to life.

I said this in another threads, those guys make me feel older than my 50 years and I can’t listen any more. I hate “ageism”, but in some cases, its just time to move aside. Mccown (along with his gang of FOBs) is getting very close to reaching that final mile marker of relevence.

September 16, 2011 3:38 pm

daniel,

And Amber is no longer with ESPN is he?

PBI
PBI
September 16, 2011 3:54 pm

Great news, Gord landed on his feet elsewhere and I won’t ever have to listen to him again.

Chef Mike in Burlington
September 16, 2011 3:58 pm

Rob in Aurora you are correct, and I ‘m glad I’m not alone…

I know PTS has a lot of fans on this site, but I too am looking down the barrel of 50, and while I have listened to Bob for about 15 years, the last few have gotten harder and harder to listen to consistently.

More and more, Bob and FOB (Brunt excepted) seem to becoming those old guys who sit in the coffee shop and bitch about the good old days, except that the coffee shop is miked.

Times change I guess, but I used to listem to Humble and Fred an CFNY too.

September 16, 2011 4:28 pm

McCown and his show have many flaws these days but I will take him over James “Too Cool For School” Cybulski any day

September 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Mike S Says…

i’ve never quite understood where the impression that Cybulski is, or is trying to be, “cool” comes from. His show is quite dorky and straight laced to my ear, especially the way he tries to be everyone’s friend and to always say something pleasant and uncontroversial. He sounds like Ned Flanders to me.

Admittedly i only listen to the odd interview here and there, and not the segments where it’s just him and his cast of characters.

Mike Cohen
Mike Cohen
September 16, 2011 5:01 pm

Good hire by CBC Sports and Sirius. Gord is a good at hockey… Sportsnet Radio Fan 590 should have retained him as the host of Hockeycentral At Noon… Instead they keep that clown Daren Millard who is one of the worst broadcasters in the country…. wise move…. so who will Eric Smith’s co host be now until Sid and Tim formally arrive at Sportsnet Radio Fan 590?

dsscpu
dsscpu
September 16, 2011 5:47 pm

Not so sure Amber is getting the gig at CBC… from Nabil Karim’s Twitter page that was just updated… “iDesk Host, Hockey Night Online and CBC News Now Morning Sports Anchor “

dsscpu
dsscpu
September 16, 2011 5:49 pm

Roger,

Amber is ESPN’s ‘Canadian’ reporter as I believe he has put it. Basically the are paying him I guess to report for them when something is happening in Canada and they don’t want to send a reporter/team or use the TSN people. I remember he did a bunch of the international bowl games for ESPN.

September 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Mike (in Boston) – Honestly, I pick up on the too cool thing too. I think it comes from stuff like ‘What up everybody? C-Balls here.’ That kind of stuff. Just a bit awkward.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he got better as he gets more experience though. Maybe in a year Cybulski will be doing mornings and Onrait/O’Toole Drive Home?

September 16, 2011 9:00 pm

I think Friedman is fantastic. If he didn’t have such a high profile job at HNIC, I imagine TSN or Fan/Sportsnet would have scooped him up. Excellent on all 4 sports, thoughtful, smart.

Chris F.
Chris F.
September 16, 2011 9:19 pm

Stellick is a good guy I wish him luck with CBC. As for sat. radio I don’t own one so I don’t listen to any.

RJ
RJ
September 16, 2011 9:36 pm

Another Leaf fan hired by HNIC?? Yawn

DR
DR
September 16, 2011 9:50 pm

I’m glad Stellick found a gig at CBC too….so I never have to listen to his boring, hockey centric shtick.

I’m sure he’s a nice guy but who cares. I don’t listen to the Fan in hopes of making a new friend. I want to be informed and entertained. Stellick has never delivered on either of those two requirements unless he’s talking about hockey but I hate hockey so that makes him extra useless to me.

Good luck at the Corp Gordy

Don Mandrie
Don Mandrie
September 17, 2011 1:14 am

Friedman is terrific but, unless CBC has other plans, remains under utilized on Hockey Night In Canada. He’s also a regular on Melnick’s radio show in Montreal.

Dave from the suburbs
Dave from the suburbs
September 17, 2011 6:50 am

Roger said:”The Amber move is obviously PC motivated”

Wow, a racist, a religious zealot AND a homophobe! The complete package!

Another Steve
Another Steve
September 17, 2011 7:33 am

Dave,

Check Tuesday’s comments, where you will see that you can add sexist/misogynist to the list as well.

September 17, 2011 2:15 pm

I could be wrong but I am getting the impression that our friend PBI was not much of a Stellick fan…………just call it a hunch

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
September 18, 2011 12:08 am

so long Stellick you wont be missed

September 19, 2011 8:15 am

Dave from the burbs,

You’ve proven once again what a moron you are. I would rather be those things than what you are – an angry, lonely pansy (I’m being nice there).

Sean
Sean
September 19, 2011 1:54 pm

So much for keeping it friendly i guess? At what point do we remove the person who continues to stur things up?

mpdman
mpdman
September 19, 2011 6:39 pm

Gee Sean. Let’s “remove the person who continues to stir things up”.
How dare Dave disagree with the group-think. Stirring things up should never happen in an open debate!

Stellick was milk-toast. If any of you can remember anything interesting he’s said over the past 10 years, please let me know. Sure, he’s a nice guy, but I don’t listen to the radio to hear the opinion of “nice guys”.

I’d better watch what I say, or Sean Stalin will ask for me to be “removed” as well…..

Another Steve
Another Steve
September 19, 2011 10:18 pm

I agree, Mpdman, but I would add my own take on that.

That is, when someone notes, last Tuesday, that a woman received a job at CBC because of her looks, then it is our/my right to call that a sexist comment. And when that same person says that a black man “obviously” got a job because of his skin colour, then it behooves us/me to use our/my freedom of speech to call it racist. We shouldn’t ban this speech, but we should call it for what it is – racist and sexist.

I don’t believe in suppressing freedom of speech. However, I do believe in standing up to it. Call a bigot a bigot, I say.

As the adopted father of a black girl who is studying journalism, I have seen a lot of racism. I would venture that most of the readers of this blog are white and don’t quite see that there can be racism around them, and many here likely don’t look at TSN and ask why there are no non-white faces on the air. But when one non-white face shows up, well, that must be some sign of reverse-racism.

I love sports, and I am fascinated by the art of journalism. But I am continually disturbed by those who treat the world of sports as an extension of “white power.” However, I am pleased to see that such an attitude seems to be limited to just one person.

September 20, 2011 9:36 am

Another Steve,

I truly believe my comments are not racist or sexist. I gave my opinion and while I admit I could be off base in my assumptions that those two individuals were hired for ‘quota’ or PC reasons, that’s my opinion. Isn’t that what a blog is all about?

We all read things every day that we disagree with but to take offense to words typed on a keyboard is ludicrous. It’s just not worth my time to get upset over. I assume you have better things with your time than to worry about what some guy named ‘Roger’ has to say about a sportscaster.

BTW, if you ask anyone in Human Resources (confidentially) for most companies, the sex and race of the candidate can be a factor when it comes to who they hire.

Sandy
Sandy
September 20, 2011 1:11 pm

Whatever happened to Landry anyway? Dont mind Stellick doing the hockey. At least Richards listens to the guests he has on show , where I used to be a Brady fan, I found Watters and him pretty funny together on 640. But now he is brutal to listen too. It’s all about him, and he never let’s anyone finish, he has to butt in.

Adam
Adam
October 4, 2011 3:09 pm

glad there is no Landry to be found – what a self important pantload – and those ‘comedy bits’ were about as current as whooping cough….ugggh Mike and Mike still makes me wake up screaming……

sad that Stellick left 590 after such a brief return…one of the personalities on the radio anywhere in town that seemed genuine and down to earth….HNIC’s gain in my mind

agree about Brady – just obnoxious without someone to defer to…..like a less whiny Jeff Blair – who was great as sub host on prime time when he was humble and polite – once he got his own show he became un-listenable…I actually listen to 550 from Buffalo despite not caring about the Buffalo teams just because the ass-hats in Toronto sports radio have become just awful….

john b
john b
October 7, 2011 9:23 am

Again…Will miss Stellick. one of the brightess talk show hosts ever, great sports mind. Used to enjoy Walters but getting repeticious, his show is an hour too long. My opinion on Sirius, had one for a year and gave it up again can only listen to repeated information so much, bad move for Stellick. What % of listeners have Sirius..
Will wait and look forward to Stellick’s next return on am radio.
I can’t believe Stellick does not have more TV exposure.???

Michael Galloway
Michael Galloway
October 24, 2011 4:58 pm

I can’t listen to the fan anymore.

Mike Hogan, Gord, Howard Berger and some of the others all gone.
And the Leafs lunch with Brady and Watters was very entertaining.

We need Watters back on the radio again soon!!

Darrell
Darrell
May 3, 2012 10:55 am

I don’t understand why everyone has this hatred for Hogan, Landry, Stellick, Berger, etc. – because it isn’t their fault some of you gone sour on them.

The thing – as we sit here in May of 2012 is why if Gord Stellick left the FAN last fall, why is he a constant guest on with Jeff Blair if he is with Hockey Night in Canada radio?

Nan Young Lee
Nan Young Lee
May 3, 2012 5:06 pm

Put Stellick and Watters on TSN opposite MacLean and Kypreos. Make it a 2 hour hockey show starting at 11am, so Scott MacArthur is only on for 2 hours too.
Can also use Stellick/Watters on TSN’s Leaf broadcasts.

I wish Wilner would take calls before games on the west coast, instead of Jays Talk at 1am. Wilner’s knowledge of baseball make all other media’s take seem pedestrian. Love it when he brings the glittering axe of sabermetrics down on the banalities of the callers/MSM. Most of his insights are from the book Baseball Between the Numbers, a summa of the most common moneyball insights from 2006. You would think the rest of the media would have read and incorporated the book’s data and arguments into their writings and broadcasts.