Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

Day 1 of Leaf Training Camp; Year 4 of Leaf Truculence. Playoffs this year?

Here’s are your drive home lineups

On FAN 590 tonight

Bob McCown’s co-host from 5 to 7 is Stephen Brunt

4:00 – Mike Zeisberger, Toronto Sun
4:20 – Bert Sugar, Boxing Historian
5:00 – Roundtable – Bob and Stephen are joined by John Shannon and Elliotte Friedman

On TSN Radio 1050

James Cybulski is away today. Dan O’Toole and Jay Onrait are co-hosts.

4:15 – Luke Schenn, Toronto Maple Leafs
4:45 – Bob McKenzie, NHL on TSN
5:30 – Jesse Palmer, ESPN/TSN 1050 Football Analyst
6:00 – Adam Kleeberger, Rugby Canada
6:30 – Jamie McLennan, NHL on TSN

Tonight on Sportsline:

Will the NFL’s new regulations secure safety for fans, Red Sox fans are in panic mode, should Milos Raonic played today’s Davis Cup match and what should the CIS do with recently charged McMaster QB Kyle Quinlan?

Join Clint ‘Bubba O’Neil & Mark Hebscher tonight at 7 on CHCH.

Steve from Waterloo
Steve from Waterloo
September 16, 2011 7:27 pm

I listened to a podcast of PTS from Thursday PM. 20 minute segment and I opened so that I could listen to Peter King regarding NFL subject matter.

For at least 10 minutes to start the segment, I had to listen to the most mundane banter between Brunt and McCowan. I don’t mind a minute of Bob bugging Brunt about his shirt, but this was terrible.

I thought maybe they are covering for a no show – but I don’t think that was the case.

The guy gets a lot of money to talk drivel for all that time.

September 16, 2011 7:48 pm

Tim and Sid did their last podcast for The Score today..

PBI
PBI
September 17, 2011 4:17 am

I’m surprised at how early TSM got the Sid and Tim scoop, they pretty much confirmed it today, said “They are moving on…together”.

September 17, 2011 2:13 pm

When Tim & Sid have their first show on 590 I am looking forward to the apologies from the people who trashed TSM on this site and said they would not believe that Tim & Sid would leave The Score until they actually see it

Chef Mike in Burlington
September 17, 2011 3:04 pm

I’ve never listened to Tim and Sid so I can’t comment to the quality of their show, but I would be interested where they would fit into the FAN schedule anyway?

The Morning show is not my bag, but rates okay, Blair ‘s not my thing but he rates okay, PTS rates are super, so that only leaves 1-4, and they seem like pricey talent for the afternoon dead zone…unless they are getting them ready to take over the morning show…maybe??

Syn
Syn
September 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Perhaps the Tim and Sid pickup is a testament to how well they were doing as a podcast, and the Fan now has a ad scheme during podcasts that they think can make money with. You can have them there during that time to fill a dead zone, but if they are entertaining enough, then people will download a podcast after they listen to PTS on their drive home, and they’ll hear the ads that way. I always wondered why the Fan didn’t just put up the full hour, advertisements and all, as their downloadable podcast. The vast majority of the podcasts I listen to have some form of advertising.

September 18, 2011 3:31 am

Mike – TSM has written that they’re doing 1-4..

September 18, 2011 8:36 am

my understanding is that it has to do with working out a separate deal for podcast advertising. basically, companies buy ad time at a certain rate for broadcast radio. the rate for podcasts would be substantially less, since it is reaching fewer people, and since people can just FFWD. the FAN would be giving them free advertising if they included the commercials right now.

there was a similar issue when live streaming began. many radio stations would just play bumper music online while the over the air station played commercials. once they had a sense of what online advertising was worth, they were able to negotiate separate deals for streaming ads.

good luck to Tim&Sid at the FAN. I think they have some challenges ahead, but I am rooting for them to succeed. I just hope they are able to resist the Kollins-era pressure to become a call-centric show, and to constantly interview Rogers beat reporters about the Leafs 4th line centre. Their show is good because they can fill the time without needing outside help.

RJ
RJ
September 18, 2011 9:17 am

The host of this site asked us if the Leafs will make the playoffs this year….for all kinds of reasons that a non-Burkie groupie can see like the nose on Tim Hunter’s face…..no way.

Chef Mike in Burlington
September 18, 2011 9:39 am

Do I think the leafs make the playoffs? No, I suspect they don’t, and not just Burke is a hockey fighting loving d-bag.

The reality, is that they haven’t gotten significantly better, and their competition for the 8th spot hasn’t gotten worse. Wilson will keep screaming like a crazy man and be gone by February, and that will buy Burke one more year.

Why there are still Leaf faithful after decades of abject failure always surprises me. They don’t care about winning, only a full building, why should we??

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
September 18, 2011 10:05 am

Playoffs,PLAYOFFS NOPE !!!!
Also,If anyone other than Sal & Vinny from Wooda bridge think that Rick Dudley was hired as director of player personnel then you are dreaming.
He was hired to take over from Ron The Bomb when the team does not preform. Face it they have 2 new assistant coaches and did not promote Eakins from the Marlies. Dudley has been around all summer and will be in the bullpen warming up when Burkie calls for the left hander.

Paul in Hespeler
Paul in Hespeler
September 18, 2011 2:41 pm

The Leafs making the playoffs this year has about the same chance as Don Kollins wining radio executive of the year. Not bloody likely, but stranger things have happened.

For me I hope that MLSE gets purchased and the new management unloads Burke and his cast of overpaid bum-kissers _ ie Wilson, Nonis, Poulin etc. Maybe then focus can be put on buidling a winning team and not the endless “we know everything about everything” attitude that spews from the Leafs management group including the coach.

And in a perfect world, Pelley & Moore turf Kollins and bring back Nelson Millman to the FAN and let radio be radio without all the silly tv/internet/smart phone crossover nonsense. Radio must be a stand alone entity to be successful…

Good luck to Tim & Sid. Hopefully they will not be in the afternoon slot, but rather will be replacements for the truly dreadful FAN morning show tandem of Dumb & Dumber.

lister
lister
September 18, 2011 4:07 pm

Guess I’ll be the lone yea-sayer on the playoffs. I think the team grew enough in the second half of the season and made enough changes to get into the playoffs. Maybe seventh or eighth spot. I still would love to get a legit #1 centre.

Capn2patch
Capn2patch
September 18, 2011 4:35 pm

C’mon now, making the playoffs is not the goal is it?
C’mon Leafs fans, you have to dream bigger than that, or that is all you’ve ever get.

RJ
RJ
September 18, 2011 5:33 pm

The Star has a column today where Belak’s parents are discounting the suicide angle. It’s amazing that despite this being a high profile sports death and with all the media nearby, there has been no followup especially since there are so many unanswered questions. Why is nobody saying that ‘auto erotic asphyixiation’ is a logical theory if suicide is not? I said it right away when no note was found and the suicide angle was disputed by the cops.

Bill
Bill
September 18, 2011 9:32 pm

RJ – isnt the star part of the media?

RJ
RJ
September 19, 2011 7:35 am

Bill, the column only reported what the family believes…there was no independent journalism to get at the truth

Brad
Brad
September 19, 2011 8:56 am

I’m not buying the suicide angle either. Not since day one of this. No note, no back-up stories about depression coming out. From anyone!! For god sakes, the family isn’t even buying the suicide angle. Are the media outlets embarrassed about saying he died like David Carradine?
It happens! Where has all the talk gone about Wade’s death? It’s like 4 or 5 days worth of a story, and then NOTHING! There is more to the story here people!

Chef Mike in Burlington
September 19, 2011 6:12 pm

RJ and Brad, you are both clearly hockey fans, operating from the assumption that it should be a story that the general public should care about beyond hockey fans…

…but sadly, its not in Toronto. It was a news story, maybe for a day or two in Toronto, and then the media moved on to the next one. He didn’t play here, didn’t work here and didn’t live here anymore.

Was it auto erotic asphyixiation gone wrong? Who knows, but the cops aren’t calling it murder and the family is not calling it murder either.

I suspect the media is trying to keep the image of him hanging there with his pants at his ankles and his yak in his hand out of the headlines.

Brad
Brad
September 20, 2011 11:29 am

@Chef Mike: Well said… In a round about way I was trying to go that route. It just dumbfounds me that THIS WHOLE STORY, has been swept under the rug:(…and yes, I’m a huge hockey fan.
But sometimes too, a rant is needed:)