Did Brendan Shanahan Sell Out The NHL Players?

Maple Leafs beat the Habs, the sens are next and life is good!

So, did anyone happen to catch the NHL preview on The Bufffalo Bills network Wednesday night, I mean Sportsnet? Enough people did who emailed and called me.

Marty McSorley, who, in mind is a good pickup for Bills TV got pretty opinionated when it came to the new NHL deputy of discipline Brendan Shanahan.

I don’t have direct quotes, but I am sure someone out there does, but basically what McSorley said was that Shanahan sold out the players in the last CBA, in hopes of earning himself a post playing career. McSorley went on to say that Shanahan shouldn’t be the one to decide suspensions because he is out of touch with players since he joined the management side. Furthermore, the allegation was that Shanahan is working to getting himself a GM role and will likely have one within 5 years

Wow

I don’t know about you but I would love to see Shanahan and McSorley meet face to face.

Hockey Central at noon had Gary Bettman on Wednesday. Honestly, when he is interviewed I want to pull my fingernails off one at a time. Is there a more condescending interview than Bettman. I mean, I hear him talk, I don’t believe a word that comes out of his mouth and the arrogance is just dripping with every word.

Those who write sports books (or any types of books for that matters), if I can’t download it, I am not buying it or reading it.

In case you weren’t sure before, Don Cherry proved again tonight just what a joke hockey night in Canada has become with him a part of it. His rant on Scott Stevens type hits was as lame as his suit. The sooner Don is gone, the better.

Love the Jeff Blair linetw on Cherry:

“Gold! Gold, I tell you! ”

Thanks for the tip on the McCown tweet about FOB. The funny thing about the whole issue is that it’s Bob’s show, he’s earned the ratings, he’s the best at what he does and well, he can have whomever the hell he wants on his show. Why not just admit it. Let’s put it this way, if they aren’t FOB, he certainly treats them that way and vise versa.

Ron Wilson won his first game of the season. Every outlet imaginable had a Wilson hot seat article this week. What record do the buds have to hit to quite the drums.

Speaking of Wilson, his mumbling to his assistant after he got jeered during the opening proceedings something to the effect of “I told ya” was classic tv. Personally, I have no clue what kind of job Wilson has done behind the bench especially given the talent he has been given while here. If he wonders why the jeers, I think it’s as much about his snarly attitude as it is wins/losses.

Yes, Yes, Yes, I am bringing back the pressbox. Stay tuned.
No, No, No I am not the guy you regularly hear on TSN radio covering the leafs. My name is Jonah, his name is Jonas.

Ok, as I write this there is only 1 question: who broke twitter.

For those who placed negative comments on the death of Steve Jobs………… never mind.

Chris F.
Chris F.
October 7, 2011 12:44 am

– Yeah I saw Cherry tonight and was like “this is the ranting of an old senile guy”. Look, I know Cherry is an institution but that segment was unbearable to watch.

– I actually think the Sportsnet Logo looks like something you’d see on a deodorant product.

– Bettman is the absolute worst person to hear being interviewed, at least Bill Daly actually listens to the questions and provides good answers without sounding like an ass or being completely unbelievable. i wonder what his working relationship is like with Bettman?

– Marty McSorley is just jealous 😛

– and a non-sports media observation but for a show/presentation that likes to be super intellectual I thought TVO’s coverage of the 2011 Ontario election was lacking, though at least it wasn’t as bad as Conservative TV. AKA Sun News Network.

October 7, 2011 1:29 am

Speaking of McCown – he intimated in the 4 o’clock hour today that some new ratings came in and gave the impression that they were pretty pleasing.

Il Duce
Il Duce
October 7, 2011 7:51 am

I enjoyed Cherry and thought there was truth to everything he talked of except when he said Steckel hit Crosby on purpose. Don usually says what most people are thinking but are afraid to comment on. Think of it, he’s done his job because you’re talking about him. Sorry Jonah, but if you are going by numbers alone you can’t argue with Cherry’s success year after year. You may not agree with everything he says, and I don’t at times, but his points are backed by his knowledge of the game and fact.

And he called guys out regarding hitting because experts like McCowan and Cox are trying to relate fighting to suicide which I think is disgusting on their part. Even Michael Landsberg, who stated publicly in a TSN radio interview a while back that he also suffers from depression, that there is no correlation between fighting and suicide. Anyone who says that they are linked has an agenda (McCown/Cox). BTW Landsberg is not a ‘fight guy’ and believes fighting should be removed from the game not because he doesn’t like a fight, but rather he believes the game doesn’t need it.

ap
ap
October 7, 2011 7:59 am

What does FOB mean here? And when did Bobcat and Doug Maclean makeup?

Paul (from Hespeler)
Paul (from Hespeler)
October 7, 2011 8:09 am

FOB = friends of Bob

October 7, 2011 9:26 am

it’s been a while since we’ve been treated to a stream of consciousness post from TSM.

on Bettman, his tenure as commissioner will likely be the subject of dissertations in the future. He’s the Vince McMahon of the NHL.

It is a total mystery to me how he has managed to keep his power given the number of failing and failed teams in his league. As far as I can tell, he has the support of a number of high income high power teams and uses this to keep everyone else in line. I just don’t understand how or why that works.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
October 7, 2011 10:11 am

@ Mike in Boston, In my opinion Bettman has been the master dealmaker. Seems to me every time he makes a major decision, he is making a deal with a certain group of owners ensuring his position. But his biggest supporters appear to Jeremy Jacobs and Ed Snyder. No real surprise Snyder’s company is involved in the NHL’s big US network deal.

I have no use for Mr. Bettman, i agree with TSM in that he sounds and is condescending, but one thing he is not, is unintelligent. He has figured out a way to make a very good living running a sport he appears to know nothing about.

As for Don Cherry, was good to hear Nilan discuss the matter this morning on the Fan and i look forward to hearing what Grimson has to say.

ThrillHouse
ThrillHouse
October 7, 2011 11:29 am

Watching those 2 sad sack teams last night as well as the old koot Cherry was disturbing.

Montreal’s defence looked like a mix of AHLers & a few guys from a seniors league team. And their forwards looked like a bunch of peewees who couldn’t get near the candy store.

Red Light Reimer was hardly tested the whole game and a better team would have put the Maple Laughs away in the 1st. Such is life in Gary Bettman’s watered down NHL.

Never heard a Leaf GM in the last 50 years i hate listening to more than that arrogant blowhard Burke.

Cherry’s age and enormous EGO means the CBC better keep their fingers on the mute button. Cherry’s delivery can be unbearable to watch.

d.
d.
October 7, 2011 12:03 pm

They have to get Cherry off HNIC. It’s gotten beyond embarrassing. Both Nilan & Grimson have taken him to task for his uninformed blatherings. I’m not sure what kind of ‘research’ Don or his handlers (caretakers?) do – but clearly they couldn’t have been more wrong in Nilan & Grimson’s case. He called these guys: ‘turn-coats’, ”hypocrites’ & pukes’. How CBC can allow this guy to spout & slander these guys with such factually incorrect nonsense, is astounding. Only ratings I suppose but sooner or later the backlash will be too strong for CBC to ignore. Don’s rants are shameful.

@ IL Duce
“his points are backed by his knowledge of the game and fact.”

To that, I say Really? The game & well….the world around Don Cherry has evolved. He might not like it but THAT is a fact. The NHL game & the players themselves are a fair bit different from the Slugging Seventies days, when Don was relevant & Don hasn’t kept up, to the detriment of his TV segment. Don is bang on with no touch icing – but other than that, his views are simply not based in anything remotely close to ‘facts’ or ‘research’.

Steve R
Steve R
October 7, 2011 12:14 pm

Please, please please can another network take the TV deal away from CBC. Listening to Cherry and his boy McLean is just a joke. Has been for years. And it makes all Canadians looks like mindless losers.

You’re right on with Bettman. No other sports head has arrogance dripping off every word.

As for McSorley what is up with that comment. Shanahan is the best thing to come along in years for the game.

Steve
Steve
October 7, 2011 12:33 pm

I was going to type out a point by point refutation of Il Duce’s post but I realized tha it’s gotta be ironic. It’s ironic, right?

Just in case it’s not ironic, here’s my refutation expressed in Boolean logic: NOT (what Il Duce posted above)

I’m actually concerned that if Il Duce and I were to bump into each other on the street we’d disappear in a flash of pure energy.

Paul (from Hespeler)
Paul (from Hespeler)
October 7, 2011 12:44 pm

Just heard Don Cherry on the FAN590 with MacLean and Kyperos. Cherry would be well advised to keep his mouth shut publically because as Stu Grimson stated earlier today, it is to the point of legal suits could be filed.
I certainly would not be surprised if Cherry’s days are numbered, even though he brings big numbers and thus big $$ to the CBC.

Guy
Guy
October 7, 2011 12:49 pm

Does Don Cherry bring ‘big numbers’ to the CBC? i dont know the answer, but from friends/collegues/family members, most people use the 1st intermission to get food, switch channels, go to the bathroom, etc. Yes, HNIC gets big numbers, but i’d like to think its because are tuning in to watch the game, not coaches corner. it’s like NFL on FOX saying our halftime show does huge ratings… no the game itself does, the halftime show is just one elemnt to the overall game itself.

Steve
Steve
October 7, 2011 1:14 pm

Let me get this straight. McSorley is saying that only someone that is or has been a good NHLPA soldier should be league disciplinarian? What cogent analysis. Good pickup by Sportsnet indeed.

NOT (what Marty McSorley said).

Bobby G
Bobby G
October 8, 2011 12:02 am

Why does anyone, Don Cherry included, care what Stu Grimson has to say about the game of hockey? Or anything at all, for that matter.

Alex
Alex
October 8, 2011 12:22 am

The scary thing about Cherry is that if they replace him, it will probably be with Milbury and who wants the copy?

I said last night that Cherry’s rant was his “king lear moment.” maybe given the way he was killing fighters who turned on him, it was his Julius Caesar moment instead. Et tu, Stu?

Il Duce
Il Duce
October 8, 2011 8:34 am

As I’ve stated before and like it or not, Don Cherry always makes his statements based on knowledge of the game and fact. One can argue his knowledge of the game as being old school or inferior blah blah blah. He must know something about the game; he won a Coach of the year award, FACT. I for one believe that there aren’t many who understand it better than Grapes, MY OPINION. I dare D or Steve to refute any of his arguments, not his opinions, with fact. Remember his opinions are his and his alone.

In my world of relatives and friends, everyone watches Coach’s Corner, love him or hate him. By reading a lot of the posts at this site and others, it’s quite obvious all the haters watch it as well and isn’t that what the TV segment is about, getting viewers. CBC loves it, and don’t get me wrong they don’t love Cherry and if he wasn’t pulling in the numbers he is now the classy mother sucking ship would be pulling him off the air faster than Chris Cuthbert. You can call him a lot of things, senile, old koot, out of touch but Don Cherry is a Canadian Icon, FACT!

What I find ironic is that all his detractors are watching Coach’s Corner and that’s what programming is all about. If you don’t like it, turn the channel, SIMPLE!!

Another Steve
Another Steve
October 8, 2011 12:04 pm

Duce, this is a democracy and we are all entitled to our opinions – so if we don’t like what Cherry says we are allowed to voice our opinions. By that equal logic if you don’t like the criticism of Cherry here then you can look elsewhere. See – such attitudes are anti-democratic, and maybe are reflective in your nom-de-plume, an obviously anti-democratic slur (and one that Italian Jews probably wouldn’t find too amusing, by the way – just like calling yourself Der Fuhrer).

The CBC wants us to voice our opinions against Cherry, in fact. It promotes ratings. The CBC doesn’t want us to change the channel in outrage – it wants controversy, it courts controversy. In fact, it’s all just a silly little childish act to get ratings for a man who likes to shout a lot.

Cherry can be entertaining – indeed, watching a stupid blathering idiot can be funny at times. I find him funny as a caricature – no more that that.

One last point – to claim that winning a coach of the year makes every opinion valid….well, no it doesn’t. That’s not an argument but a simple appeal to authority.

Il Duce
Il Duce
October 8, 2011 12:52 pm

@Another Steve

Simple – if you don’t like Coach’s Corner, don’t watch. But I’m willing to wager that most haters like you, do and that’s what CBC wants.

As I’ve stated before I’m not a Cherry apologist and don’t agree with everything he says, but ‘blathering idiot’, really Steve! Resorting to name calling just because his opinions are different from yours.

And knock off the holier than thou attitude, save it for another political site. You seem to believe in democratic rights as long as other opinions aren’t different from yours. Stick to the issue at hand.

Last point, winning coach of the year doesn’t make every opinion valid but winning the highest honour awarded to those in your profession in the best league in the world… ah I would say it goes a long way!

Another Steve
Another Steve
October 8, 2011 1:32 pm

I.D. – just can’t bring myself to write your name – thanks for the comment. Curiously, I think we are saying the same things, for the most part. But I will make a few comments here.

The easiest way to dismiss critics is to call them a “hater.” It shuts down dialogue. You can start any idea with “most haters like you…” and then fill in whatever you like. In short, I don’t speak for you, and I know that you don’t speak for me. Please state your opinion – not mine. Thanks.

When politics does apply, then I will fervently and gladly write political comments. And, should you wish to oppose, do feel free to do so. However, nowhere did I say that you can’t state your opinion – yet you just told me to take my opinions elsewhere – just like Cherry told his detractors to shut up, and just like a “duce” would do.

(If you pick a name, you should be aware of its relevance, shouldn’t you? And seriously – the name “il duce”: do you really think that’s not going to be noticed? I’m not holier than you – but I would respond the same way to anyone who picked a name like “Pol Pot” or “Eva Braun.” You chose the name for a purpose, didn’t you? Well, your wish is fulfilled – because you got the reaction you were looking for. I like to think that you chose it for irony – but irony doesn’t translate in the blogosphere, and I will therefore call out something like that when I see it. You can defend the name if you want, but insulting me is not a defence for using a name that is offensive.)

Back to Cherry: he brings politics in. As you noted (I believe), he invites the responses. His handlers want it as well. It’s a show – it’s performative. He would love to hold my opinions up and call me a left wing pinko or one of his childish terms. He is on the front of The Globe today – and the CBC loves it.

And I will not back down from the “blathering idiot” comment – Cherry relishes the role, and many people watch him because he is a caricature. Most people I know watch him because they like to see how he can behave like Stephen Colbert, but without the intentional irony. To most of my friends he is a national joke – but one we rather like and tolerate, as long as people don’t take him seriously.

Anyway, I suspect this dialogue will not be fruitful, so it’s best that we end it. Have a good weekend, and no hard feelings.

Il Duce
Il Duce
October 8, 2011 4:08 pm

Lighten up Steve, I believe there are far worse things on our planet than two words. Please save the political dissertation for another site and believe me its not that I wouldn’t want to debate politics or a name, I think it’s irrelevant to the topic at hand – Don Cherry and Coach’s Corner. Although I love the ‘art of distraction’ to make your point, keep it on track.

My argument is very simple, if you do not like what Mr. Cherry has to say or don’t like the man then do not watch Coach’s Corner. But if you do watch, no one is saying you cannot disagree with him or offer your own opinion, by all means knock yourself out. I believe everyone should watch, love him or hate him (I hope you’re not offended by my use of ‘love’ and ‘hate’ in the same sentence). I love watching Bill Maher, not because of his political views of which I’m at the complete opposite of the political spectrum but I think he’s brilliant and I like to hear what he has to say. I don’t like American Idol, so I don’t watch! I don’t like Two and Half Men, so I don’t watch! Simple, No? I hope you get my point.

It’s obvious you would like to turn this into something political rather than sticking to the issues Mr. Cherry brought up on the last Coach’s Corner. The five minute segment isn’t life altering and don’t make more of this than it is… its just hockey.

Isn’t Canada a great country where debate can continue and not turn into a war? Unless of course, it’s about hockey!

Chef Mike in Burlington
October 11, 2011 1:30 pm

I missed this whole exchange last week due to work…Don Cherry is an old fashioned windbag, but one who draws numbers to his employers, and that’s all that mattters to him and the CBC….

I never watch HNIC or listen to Grapeline, my choice. I think he’s a laughable, fat, old fashioned has-been minor leager who still likes fighting in hockey. He was become a caricature, but he lacks the smarts to know it. He is super close to his “Jimmy the Greek” moment, and his “pukes” comment and coming lawsuit just might do it. The CBC will be better off once he’s gone…