Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

Happy Thanksgiving & have a great long weekend!

Here’s your drive home lineups

On FAN 590 tonight

4:00 Darrin Fletcher & Pat Hentgen
4:20 Jarrett Bell, USA Today
5:00 – 7:00 Roundtable with McCown, Shannon, Cox & James Deacon

On TSN Radio 1050

James Cybulski’s co-host is Bob Mackowycz

4:15 Georges Laraque (Former NHLer)
4:45 Mayor Rob Ford with his CFL Picks
5:15 Bob McKenzie (NHL on TSN)
5:30 Jesse Palmer (TSN 1050 NFL Analyst)
5:45 Matthew Lombardi (Forward, Toronto Maple Leafs)
6:00 Darren Dreger (NHL on TSN)
6:30 Marc Crawford (NHL on TSN)
6:45 John Pollack (Live Audio Wrestling)

Tonight on Sportsline:

Reaction to Don Cherry’s comments, the Maple Leafs are 1-0, does Roberto Luongo deserve to be heckled and are the Eagles a bunch of quitters? Join Clint ‘Bubba’ O’Neil & Jason Portuondo tonight at 7, on CHCH.

Bora
Bora
October 7, 2011 5:33 pm

By the time I get my first Sportsnet magazine delivered I think the second issue will be out

kyle
kyle
October 7, 2011 7:31 pm

I got one delivered to me today, but I hadn’t even asked for. Not entirely sure why.

Chris
Chris
October 7, 2011 9:42 pm

I’m still waiting too, Bora.

Another Steve
Another Steve
October 7, 2011 9:53 pm

I am still waiting as well. There’s no mail on Monday, because of the holiday, so at best – if it arrives on Tuesday – I will get my copy two days before the new one comes out.

Maybe they really don’t want subscribers.

Benny
Benny
October 8, 2011 1:13 am

I don’t understand why McCown’s so obsessed with this Halladay-Carpenter thing. Carpenter was offered a minor-league incentive deal, Carpenter said no, he wanted a guaranteed 40-man roster spot deal. Like Fletcher pointed out, maybe there was something between Carpenter and Ricciardi, considering how Ricciardi is egotistical and Carpenter “acted like a veteran at a young age”.

Then there are dumber questions like “Why would Doc want to stay here?”, “Why didn’t they try to re-sign Doc?” when it was clear that the spending spree of 2005 (Ryan, Glaus, Overbay, Burnett) gave Doc some hope about winning, and forewent free agency not once, but twice.

I don’t want to go into the whole 2005-2010 thing because there were limited number of free agents available (Would you seriously pay Jason bay, Mark Teixeira, John Lackey, CC Sabathia, etc. whatever they got so far?), and I do think Ricciardi did what he could to get the team competitive in 2005. Unfortunately, certain people couldn’t take the turf, and underperformed so badly in 07 and 08.

Same with the Pat Gillick nostalgia McCown brought up before. It’s so annoying. Move on, seriously. No wonder Wilner never pops up on PTS.

Ami Angelwings
October 8, 2011 7:37 am

That was a terrible roundtable -_- That’s like 3 of my least favourite ppl on PTS… the only way it could have been worse is if Toth or Faulds were co-hosting it >:| Bob makes everything better, but even he couldn’t save that roundtable >:\

Sam
Sam
October 8, 2011 8:49 am

They should just put one of those disclaimers at the beginning of each Coaches Corner – “The opinions expressed are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect…”

Another Steve
Another Steve
October 8, 2011 11:51 am

I didn’t think the roundtable was horrible. The discussion about Cherry was interesting, and I did like Shannon’s comment about whether they were allowed to disagree on topics or if they were all supposed to be monolithic in their viewpoints. (At least I think that’s what he said: I must admit, I was a bit ill and drowsy while I listened).

When I first heard who would be on the roundtable I did think about turning to TSN, but saw on this site that the alternative would be listening to Rob Ford give his CFL picks. Interestingly, Cybulski started his week with Hudak and ended it with it Ford. We clearly know where TSN sees its market demographic. Since Ford decided to be sworn in by Cherry I think Cybulski would have been doing his journalistic duty to ask Ford about Hank Williams Jr.’s comments and then compare those comments to the divisive language that Cherry often uses. I don’t think that would be irrelevant at all – he did, after all, pick Cherry to swear him in.

Sam in Scarb
Sam in Scarb
October 8, 2011 3:33 pm

To each his own..but, Cox & Shannon tell me nothing I have not heard before..Check that, Cox does say stuff but it is just jibberish!! (Batista ..steroids HUMMM what ever happened to that??)

To me radio is to be entertaining..COX & Shannon are anything but that.
Oh and hey Bobcat.. Heya…we all know you read this daily !!!

cam
cam
October 8, 2011 7:44 pm

“Also I’m pretty annoyed at the softball treatment the HCaN guys gave Don Cherry…”

Ami – I could not agree more. I myself have not watched Cherry for a long time but did catch the HCaN broadcast yesterday and left it on to hear his side. I could not believe the pass they gave Cherry with his comment (paraphrasing) there is nothing worse in the world than a reformed drunk or a self-righteous sinner.

It was unbelievable, for me, as a recovering alcoholic, to hear this throw back to the reference of a reformed drunk go by without so much as a challenge. I have not heard this slag in over 25 years. It is a stigma I thought was long past, where now we could talk openly and honestly about it without impugning the character of those suffering from this disease. Recovery is a life long struggle that is damn tough and the causes for this particular addiction range from genetic predisposition to behavioral influences. It is not self righteousness that causes us to talk about our individual experiences but self preservation.

I am long past the belief that sports figures need to be role models for kids. Cherry, however, does purport to be a role model and adviser for kids in his HNIC segments. I believe that now he has opened his mouth it is incumbent for him to address the issue with those kids. It need be nothing more than encouraging them to seek help if they think they have a problem then he can move on to the fighting debate.

Perhaps it is righteous indignation that spurred this soap box missive, but god I am both pissed and offended by the sheer stupidity of the situation.

Rome
Rome
October 9, 2011 7:43 am

You know what’s funny (not haha but more wow) but when he talked about the fighters who talked about the problems fighting caused them and he called them hypocrites in talking about the pains they went through. The first thing I thought of was “So are former alcoholics hypocrites for talking about the problems it cause” There you go he said yeah! Wow just wow.

It really shows what type of person he is, if he is so willing to throw people under the bus, even though he made really good coin on what they did on the ice and the damage they caused themselves for his DVD. But having an living experience that goes against his “standard for hockey”. It just shows how far his “support” goes and he will turn on anybody in a second.

MarkinT.O.
MarkinT.O.
October 9, 2011 9:47 pm

The more I listen to Damien Cox and John Shannon on PTS,
The more I appreciate and miss the Late Jim Kelley.

Bobby G
Bobby G
October 9, 2011 11:37 pm

You want to know what kind of person Don Cherry is? Countless hours and millions of dollars raised for kids’ charities. Heroic efforts he never talks about and contributions his critics, collectively, haven’t matched. You might not agree with him but let’s not pretend any of us are better human beings than he is.

October 10, 2011 3:08 pm

Bruce lets loose on McLean in his weekend column: “He has chosen to make a very attractive living as hapless wind therapist to the Cherry legend. ”

this has generated 450 comments on the Globe site. Way to go Bruce!