Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

On 590 with Greg Brady and Jim Lang:

TBA

On TSN radio with Mike Richards

7:00 Jim Barker

7:15 Jonas Seigel

7:30 Pierre McGuire

7:45 Aaron Ward

8:00 Darren Dreger

8:15 Claude Loiselle

8:30 Chris Mortenson

October 12, 2011 10:13 am

did anyone else read Rogers employee Cox’s promo for the Rogers Bills in toronto series this morning. I don’t usually care about this sort of thing but there were too many obvious falsifications.

“The three regular season games played so far have all reported audiences of more than 50,000 patrons, although the degree to which those houses have been papered has been debated.”

there has been no debate: the prices drove people away and the team had to give away tickets to fill the stadium. there is no evidence (that i have come across) that tickets have sold even remotely well up to this point.

“It’s believed Rogers wants to pay much less in a new deal because the current arrangement has forced ticket prices too high.”

again, there is no evidence that the price of tickets is in any way related to what Rogers paid for the Bills to come to toronto. When the series was announced they were trying to force people to buy tickets to all the games. this had nothing to do with recouping costs and everything to do with trying to squeeze an NFL starved market for cash. The market balked and Rogers has been scrambling ever since to woo people back.

I can’t imagine the Star is thrilled to be used as a promotional vehicle for Rogers.

Another Steve
Another Steve
October 12, 2011 10:40 am

Mike,

I haven’t read Cox’s article, but I think you have mis-read his first quote. You quote him as saying:

The focus on the last part of his sentence is “the degree to which” – that is what he says has been debated, not “whether” it has been papered. And he is absolutely correct. There has been lots of debate about how much the house has been papered – whether it is something like 10% or 40%. In fact, I have even heard that debated on McCown’s show a lot.

Anyway, sorry about this, but I had to point this out. (I am really not looking to defend Cox.)

October 12, 2011 11:11 am

fair point Steve, but i think it comes to the same result: there has been substantial papering due to poor ticket sales.

Cox’s suggestion that there is some debate about the extent to which Rogers has been giving away or reducing tickets to make the place seem less empty is disingenuous. Everyone i can think of who has reported on ticket sales has said that they have not gone as expected.

Also, as long we’re being pedantic, i don’t think giving away 10% of your announced ticket sales would really count as papering the house. NFL teams routinely buy up the last few thousand tickets to avoid local blackouts. That is not the impression i have of what Rogers has been doing.

October 12, 2011 12:45 pm

Yeah.. he didn’t say it wasn’t substantial though. Just that the amount was debated. Honestly I took it more as a mild jab at the games rather than a defense of them. That’s just how I read it, anyway.

October 12, 2011 12:48 pm

Actually, jab is the wrong word. An acknowledgment of the poor ticket sales…is what I should have said.

October 12, 2011 1:00 pm

well if both of you read it that way then perhaps i over-reacted. in light of the 2nd quote i still think the article has a bias that is hard not to connect to his other employer.

here’s the link, in case anyone else cares to weigh in:

October 12, 2011 1:02 pm

As for Cox’s article, I agree with the general sentiment that interest in the NFL seems to be outpacing interest in the CFL in this city. No disrespect to CFL fans, but does anyone think the CFL is more popular in this city than the NFL?

Having said that, maybe I’m crazy, but I don’t see why interest in the NFL is a big factor in the lack of interest in the Argos. I know it’s the same game, but I feel like they serve two fairly different fanbases. Plus it’s not like they’re both playing games every Sunday at 1. Pretty easy to follow both if you’re a football nut.

I think the Argos have become less relevant because Toronto has grown a lot in the last 30 years, and the CFL is perceived as minor league.

October 12, 2011 1:03 pm

Mike – Well, either way, I think it’s smart to read the stuff critically like you did considering how much power Rogers has in the media world.

Steve from Waterloo
Steve from Waterloo
October 12, 2011 1:25 pm

I was excited to watch the Argo’s, at the beginning of the season. I even bought a t-shirt because I watched them go from last place to making the play-offs last year.

I was anticipating some excitement seeing as being a Bill’s fan for the past 15 years has left me lost and delusional.

This years version of the Argos suck so bad. I cannot watch the games, and while I was excited about watching the TSN “24-7” type documentary of the Argos, it too was boring.

I wouldn’t go to the Rogers’ centre if someone gave me tickets to see the Argos. Its bad enough to watch on tv.

October 12, 2011 1:36 pm

Eric Smith announced today that Paul Jones will be joining him as co-host of the 590 afternoon show every weekday for the next several weeks (I assume until Tim & Sid start their new show when their non-compete clause ends)………….I guess Jones has lots of free time these days, given the current NBA lockout debacle

Another Steve
Another Steve
October 12, 2011 2:06 pm

This is off topic, but the new magazine #2 comes out tomorrow and my first copy still hasn’t arrived. This is turning into a bit of a game – will it arrive before Christmas? 🙂

Chris
Chris
October 12, 2011 3:32 pm

Same here Steve. I’m starting to wonder if anyone who actually subscribed has received it. The few people I know who have got it, bought it in a store.

THRILLHOUSE
THRILLHOUSE
October 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Eric Smith with Paul Jones?

HAHAHAHAHA!!

When will the insanity ever end with Robbers brass continuing to put un-listenable hacks on the air? Too boot…the NBA is on strike yet they are putting these 2 clowns on for 3 hours? LMFAO

Ummm…i think I’ll be listening to Son of Hayes talk hockey on TSN Radio.

Robbers old news Sportsnet Magazine should be arriving just in time for your next blue box pickup.

Martin
Martin
October 13, 2011 12:16 am

Concerning Sportsnet subscriptions – Usually when one gets a subscription the first issue you get is the one that is next due to go out in the next mailing (you need lead in time for printing/mailing etc)so if you started your subscripition after the first one was already mailed out or released to stores/news stands therefore you probably will start with the second issue not the first unless you were guaranteed the first one in the first place…..Just a thought

Ami Angelwings
October 13, 2011 1:56 am

I read that as a jab at the attendance too. That sounds like sarcasm.