Hey Hey, My My

A funny thing happened on the way to writing this website. Several people actually started turning out on a regular basis. Way back when this thing started, it was easy to nitpick on the MSM in Toronto. Not too hours (not days) went by without someone saying or writing something totally inane. Writing stories was easy. Then came all the changes at the multiple outlets. Stories were either handed to me on a silver platter OR there was actual news worth discussing.

So, what’s one to do when there’s neither a breaking story or a newsworthy media/sports business event?

There was a time when I wrote on a daily basis to simply write.

I stopped that due not to lack of time or interest, but rather a sense that you the audience didn’t want it.

Now, as I have been waiting for the right story to write about, I keep getting emails asking me why I am not writing as much, or asking if I have switched formats to to just writing radio lineups.

So clearly, I was wrong. Too many people have written, so I am here to say that I hear you loud and clear. I will go back to trying to write every day on something topical. Hopefully the MSM will start stepping offside again and I will have material. Otherwise, your going to get my rants, restaurant reviews, opinions or whatever. You asked for it, your going to get it.

Here’s a comment on Don, Abe Simpson, Cherry. The more we talk about him, the more he gets what he wants, attention. I’ll say if for the last time and won’t go there again. Don Cherry is yesterdays news. He’s a was be, a hasbeen. His fifteen minutes were up a long time a go. I find it tremendously sad that he represents Canadians on television on an international stage by holding the preeminent space on the governments television network. As some of you have pointed out, he’s charitable with his time and resources. That’s great. Unfortunately, we have to hear him open his mouth during hockey season on Saturday nights. He represents to me, anyways a time and an era we all left decades ago. Don Cherry isn’t good for the game, he’s an embarrassment for a country. The CBC should do the right thing and find a new face. Again, only my opinion.

Lastly, to those asking about my pooch, she appears to be doing a little better. Things were bad with a capital B. It seems that she is finally been medicated enough to actually sleep and maybe, just maybe she has turned the corner.

I didn’t get lineups for the morning drive shows. Instead you get this rant.

Ami Angelwings
October 13, 2011 2:51 am

Yay! I like it when you write! 😀 (also I want to thank you for changing the pictures on the daily line ups… :3 )

The thing about Don Cherry, is he’s kinda like all sorts of other conservative hosts who say outrageous and offensive things, when you complain about them, people say that “oh nobody takes him seriously” or “he’s just a joke” or something… the problem is LOTS of people take them srsly 🙁 Whether he’s being serious or not, Don Cherry, act or no act, IS somebody that a lot of people listen to, that a lot of people shout “fuck yeah” when he says something and his opinions are taken as gospel by lots of ppl…

and there’s nothing wrong w/ that…. but it also means that he needs to be opposed when he’s wrong… This is what Bruce Arthur says too, b/c ignoring his impact doesn’t change that he has an impact, no matter how backwards some may think he is :\

He shouldn’t be shut up, but he does need to be spoken up against if we disagree, and his points should be opposed if there are issues with them. Just like any other person with a platform. He shouldn’t get a pass just b/c “we” (whoever we are xD ) believe his opinions are so self-evidently wrong… because lots of ppl do not think they are.

mario
mario
October 13, 2011 4:16 am

Thanks TSM for writing on a daily bases again, really enjoy your insight on the media. While I might not comment on each article they are a great read along with the differnt opinions.
As for Cherry he is yesterday news his time has come to retire for good, while I do confess in watching him weekly it now is can he make himself look anymore foolish than he did the previous week. But I guess it is all about ratings and money and if he were to get let go Rogers or TSN would pick him up in seconds. Thanks again

October 13, 2011 7:20 am

Ami He shouldn’t be shut up, but he does need to be spoken up against if we disagree,

i’m in this camp, as well as TSM‘s “CBC should turn the page” camp. As long as he’s on the air spewing borderline racist comments and arguing for discredited points then he needs to be called out for it. Cherry turns into a bully when people challenge him, and his arguments lose all credibility because he has to resort to insults and clichés. It’s a shame so many hockey people and media are willing to give him a pass because of his stature in the game.

Cox had a good line the other day: “no matter that his main argument on most every subject is that all who disagree with him should shut up and mind their own business because they didn’t play in the AHL during the 1960s.”

Lee (Oakville)
Lee (Oakville)
October 13, 2011 8:33 am

In my opinion, to ignore Cherry’s outbursts (as Cox has written) is completely incorrect. Every opinion is worthy of comment, concurrence or condemnation and to simply ignore it is wrong and somewhat cowardly.

That being said, the sports MSM is a very insular and homogeneous group, so I also think their viewpoint on this issue is not wholly representative of an overwhelming majority of public sentiment. It is rather, a shared groupthink created by years of an old boys network.

As well, am I the only one disturbed by the agist attacks on Cherry? Adjectives used to describe him (senile, old, dinosaur, etc) would not be acceptable in comparable discussions in describing the ethnic or religious background of another opinion leader.

robinaurora
robinaurora
October 13, 2011 8:47 am

Glad there will be something to read now. I figured TSM had lost interest in this site, I was definitely losing interest in the lack of real content. (Does anyone use the drive time guest list?).

Cherry will likely get a raise with all the attention he’s getting for HNIC. He’s a dinosaur, but until people stop watching, his job is safe – unless I’m wrong his segment gets better ratings than the games. There’s value in that for CBC, no matter what the content.

Just like yesterday – I believe UFC and MMA is absolute garbage and dangerous and should be abolished – But people buy tickets and watch, so both Fan 590 and TSN carried that idotic press conference yesterday

Steve from Waterloo
Steve from Waterloo
October 13, 2011 10:14 am

Cherry is Cherry – sometimes I agree, sometimes I don’t. What I don’t do however is linger on every word that he speaks, and then right a number of nasty columns trying to discredit Cherry and everything he stands for.

You know who does that? Dowbiggn of the Globe does. He comes across like Al Strachan used to – totally obsessed with making his righteous opinion / point without a lot of balance.

I have no time for Dowbiggn’s column anymore.

Chef Mike in Burlington
October 13, 2011 11:16 am

I have not watched CC or listened to to GrapeLine in years, to hear him prattle on about his violent, bigoted hockey world just grates with me.

That being said, despite his douchebaggery, his employers, both TV and radio seem content to have him on year after year, so he must make them money…,yes my friends, its all about making money…his angry old man bullshit will contnue as long as you watch CC, listen to Grapeline, go to his appearances, buy the vidoes or whatever else he does to make money.

CBC will keep rolling him out as long as you watch and don’t complain too much. BUT if you want him off the air, then write to the CBC every single day and tell them that you’ll stop watching, tell them you’ll tell your friends to stop watching too. Write to whoever you see advertising during CC and Grapeline.

I washed my hands of him years ago, waiting for him to blow up and shoot his mouth off again, maybe this might do it…

Il Duce
Il Duce
October 13, 2011 1:55 pm

With all due respect, Cherry has enjoyed a little more than 15 minutes of fame. There are more supporters than there are detractors and if there weren’t he’d be gone. I’d rather have Cherry on then some of the vanilla characters that exist now on T.V. Yes that’s right, give me Cherry over Hrudey, give me Roenick over Simpson any day.

I can’t believe there are people who say they don’t watch CC but you watch it just like ‘race fans’ don’t watch car races to see the crashes. Ya…sure!!

Steve
Steve
October 13, 2011 1:56 pm

Amen, TSM.

Bobby G
Bobby G
October 13, 2011 3:29 pm

What do you people want out of the first intermission of HNIC, whether Cherry is on it or not?
Maybe they can get a group of people to sit around a table and compliment each other and pleasantly agree that the game really must change but that darned Commissioner Bettman won’t let it. Oh, woe is hockey.
Right, that’s the second intermission. Don Cherry is an embarrassment only to those with no self-confidence in their own opinion. He doesn’t represent Canada, he represents a point of view. A POV that has been acceptable for the better part of the last century. It may or may not be the majority opinion anymore but it is ,without question, valid.
Those who would silence him do no one any favours except those who can only see in monochrome. Stifling others doesn’t make you any more right.

October 13, 2011 6:51 pm

some thoughts if you’re planning to write more TSM

– i really enjoy your breakdowns of how various outlets are reporting the same story.
– you might try out a weekly award for best article and best interview, and a similar recognition for worst article (the DiManno award, if you will) or worst interview
– i’m less interested in posting just for the sake of posting every day, so if all you have is a restaurant review then maybe use Twitter for that stuff

those are my 2 cents. as always, i always enjoy reading the comments here.

Capn2patch
Capn2patch
October 13, 2011 8:27 pm

*snicker* DiManno Award

Don Mandrie
Don Mandrie
October 14, 2011 4:14 am

Even by Don Cherry standards, Grapes crossed a significant line calling out a couple of his own in Chris Nilan and Stu Grimson. This resonates. The fact that he was dead wrong in what he claimed they said makes it more painful. Damien Cox thinks Nilan & Grimson should “grow up”? I think what irks Damien is that he realizes he, like Cherry, has no influence on the sport he covers. Nilan, Grimson & Thompson are different. I’m sure Cherry is bothered by all the resulting fall out. He is going to have to admit publicly that he was wrong. And mark my words, he will.
A group hug will follow.

James
James
October 17, 2011 11:37 am

UFC is dangerous? I assume you consider boxing even more dangerous then, as it’s medical fact that boxing is far more dangerous and the injuries far more severe.

If you somehow don’t think boxing is worse then you are simply ignorant and misinformed.