Thursday Roundup

Had to laugh at an email that I got from a member of the Toronto MSM today. Basically it asked why those who like to comment on this site do so with such poor grammar and spelling. Easy I said, they follow the example by the author!

I really, really, liked Damien Cox’s blog today on Ron Wilson. Damien calls out Wilson for still not getting the Toronto Sport Media and how they play a role in his ability to do his job effectively.

Damien’s suggestion is that Wilson doesn’t get it.

I don’t think that Wilson doesn’t get it, I don’t think he cares.

I have no clue whether or not Wilson is a good coach or not. There aren’t that many NHL coaching jobs available. Wilson has managed to keep one for a long time. That alone doesn’t say he’s a good coach. It does however say something. I don’t believe for a second that a guy like Wilson hangs around for as long as he has without credentials.

I do know that Wilson has suffered with some pretty lousy lineups and I am not sure that any of the greatest coaches of all time would have done any better.

Having said all of that, Wilson’s smugness drives me batty. Hearing him give an interview is like scratching fingernails down the chalkboard. There are two reasons I can’t stand it. First, the constant nickname use. I know I’ve said it a million times, but it just sound so damn unprofessional. Second, and perhaps more importantly, it’s the tone and tenor of what he says. He sounds annoyed to all hell that he’s giving the interview (and I think that’s a large part of what Damien means in his column by not getting it). He sounds like he’s a million times smarter then both the interviewer and the audience. Honestly, the most unlistenable is Bettman. Wilson in my book is a close second.

Christine Brennan has a good article on the state of things in the NBA these days.

“A completely unscientific, fun, knee-jerk reaction poll at USATODAY.com asked readers this simple question: “When will you begin to miss the NBA?”

The vast majority of the 6,700 respondents, more than 70%, chose this answer: “Never.””

I don’t lay much value in the online poll, but my sense from being in the USA all week, people there really don’t care right now. It’s not top of line on any network or sports radio talk for sure.

However, Brennan get’s it right. We, the fans are suckers:

“”Yet fans always come back,” he continued. “It might take two weeks, it might take two months, depending on how the sides play it from here to the end of the lockout. If there’s a lot of ugliness and a lot of invective between the two sides and it takes longer to resolve, I think it will take the fans longer to come back. But they will come back.””

Amen.

The truth is the league will stay out until the players start to feel pain. Did anyone catch Michael Grange’s awesome piece on the lockout that basically said, the owners always win, it’s just a matter of by how much?

“Larry Coon is a widely respected NBA salary cap expert and a few days ago he laid out in plain English why the NBA players will almost assuredly lose in this round of collective bargaining. The only question being by how much.”

For those who are NBA fans, or just simply sports business junkies it’s good reading.

I caught a bit of PTS this evening. I heard McCown say that he didn’t like either Slapshot or Caddyshack. I heard Brunt say that he only likes the Caddyshack scenes with Bill Murray and that “the rest is unwatchable”.

Interesting that the movies in question are old. 1970’s old. So it’s not to say that it’s a younger audience thing. Granted I’m guessing that both McCown and Brunt have 15-20 on me. I don’t know about you, but Slapshot is really great movie about the sport of minor league hockey in small town America in the year 2011. I mean in 1970 something. It is a movie that I quote with friends on a regular basis. With the exception of my parents, I am not sure i know anyone who didn’t love Slapshot for what it was.

Caddyshack makes my top 50 movies of all time. I like the Murray scenes. Not one round of golf goes by without a “if you kill all the golfers who’s gonna play golf?” For me, the movie is about Ted Knight and Rodney Dangerfield. Yes, the girl in it is “hot”. Yes, Chevy chase is great in it. The scenes with Rodney are some of my favorites from any movie ever.

Is it an age gap with these two, or are they simply missing it? Yes, they loved Bull Durham. It’s a great movie too. It’s no Caddyshack though!

Lastly, to those who keep posting comments about not receiving your sportsnet magazine subscription yet. Have you called Rogers yet? More importantly, why did you subscribe before ever reading a copy?

Another Steve
Another Steve
October 14, 2011 12:28 am

The reason I subscribed: I was/am willing to take a chance on a magazine that I haven’t read because I thought it might be good. If not, I simply wouldn’t renew. A year’s subscription is no big deal and worth the risk. I don’t mind supporting products that might be worthwhile.

I may call Rogers soon about it, but I have enjoyed hearing form other people here who are in the same situation as me. Thanks for letting us share our experiences in waiting.

Also, back when I had a phone-plan with Rogers I found it very hard to reach a human being whenever I called for service, so I am reluctant to spend 20-30 minutes waiting to talk to someone about a matter that is only slightly irritating. Plus, you basically admitted at the start of this message that some significant characters read the comments here – so it may happen that someone high-up hears my grousing about the lack of delivery. Yes, I am hoping that piggy-backing on your fame will be helpful. 🙂

Interesting to read about the complaint regarding typos and grammar from the MSMer. It is a pity you didn’t name him/her. I think a lot of commenters here come from vastly different backgrounds and have vastly different writing skills, and, frankly, I highly doubt that many MSM journalists know the difference between “who” and “whom.” Seriously, what major degree does this MSMer hold? I would be curious to learn that.

alex
alex
October 14, 2011 12:28 am

I got a copy of the sportsnet mag while i was on vacation this week in quebec and ontario.

Not sure its worth paying for a us sub, though.

Too bad i dont live close enough to the border to drive across every couple weeks and pick one up.

Adam Walker
October 14, 2011 7:26 am

McCown is *really* cranking up the grumpy old man thing recently. Example: his random references to Moneyball and how much he hates it, even though he never read it or saw the movie, are really becoming annoying. I understand it’s his shtick and he’s making sure that it’s firmly out there with his contract situation, but it’s making PTS almost unlistenable.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
October 14, 2011 8:59 am

I really liked and still do like Caddyshack and Slapshot. Great comedy with just enough snapshots into real golf and hockey and supported with great comedy.

Ted Knight for me was what made Caddyshack. That isn’t to downplay the others, but his character was so perfect for the CountryClub Golf storyline of that time period.

TSM, you can let the MSM’er who doesn’t like our grammar know, that none of us have editors or support staff for our postings. I certainly hope it wasn’t someone from the Globe as that paper has grammatical errors online everyday it seems.

Don’t really care if Bobcat or Brunt don’t like these movies, and the mancrush they have for Kevin Costner I find disturbing anyhow. Especially Bob and Damien.

October 14, 2011 9:19 am

complaining about grammar is the easiest and laziest way to refuse to engage with valid criticism.

in other news, Rogers has just updated the image associated with the PTS podcast. i can’t believe Bob allows himself to be photographed like this. I feel somewhat embarrassed for him.

hey TSM, any chance you can allow us to post images in the comments section?

Roger
Roger
October 14, 2011 9:19 am

Re: Bob’s mancrushes on celebrities

If Bob can see a benefit to his ass-kissing, he’ll do it with the best of them. How do you think he’s lasted this long in the business???

Oh and for the love of God (sorry, Don) can Bob please try to identify who he’s interviewing? Unless, the person has a pet-name like Collie, Zaunie or Lego, I usually have no idea who he’s talking to.

October 14, 2011 9:56 am

Richards competes with Brady/Lang for the younger market ?

for a dose of “ratings: what the fuck?” see Bruce’s column:

“Mike Richards morning drive show (6 a.m. to 9 a.m. ET) has made up a lot of ground in the younger [18-35] demographic against Greg Brady and Jim Lang at The Fan. At a 5.5 share, Richards is sitting just 0.7 behind after lagging by double digits earlier this year. Brady and Lang continue to hold a comfortable margin in the 40-and-older group, however.”

robinaurora
robinaurora
October 14, 2011 10:14 am

McCown sounds 100 years old when he tries to talk pop culture.
Look at the 1970’s hair to figure out he was already pretty old when both these movies were in theatres. I was in highschool and they live in my mind like some of the best entertainment of my generation (like Fawlty Towers, etc).

Bob was one of these dico era guys with the open neck shirts and medallions. Old now and really cranky. He and Brunt aren’t really hockey fans. (They don’t even like watching fighting in hockey when it’s being parodied). Slapshot was written by a woman whose brother played in the AHL and she took all his anecdotes and made a great script out of them. (Her brother was the guy who played Ogie Oglethorpe. Ogie was based on Bill Goldthorpe – Use Google images and search on Bill Goldthorpe for a good chuckle)…all of that would be lost on McCown and Brunt (beneath them).

Bull Durham is a date movie on the verge of being a chick flick and I hate Kevin Costner movies. It had some great moments and lines – but stuff like the meeting on the mound when the guys were talking about what wedding gift to buy? (…hello? “Chick Flick” – it was sex in the city humour in a baseball movie).

Grammar? My only complaint is everyone needs to know the difference between “your” and “You’re” when posting (and writing the column TSM!). Also: I just used the word “anecdote” above. Now that’s pretty high end vocabulary for the great unwashed littering these comment section – so tell that MSMer he needs to read the content here and worry about reading over his kids’ homework for bad grammar. (I usually see only very valid commentary here, whether i agree with it or not)

Roger
Roger
October 14, 2011 10:29 am

Rob,

I never liked Bull Durham either. If you want to see a good baseball flick rent The Natural. For boxing Cinderella Man and Million Dollar Baby are both awesome.

Bobby G
Bobby G
October 14, 2011 12:33 pm

You can’t have valid criticism without proper spelling and grammar. It undermines your entire argument. Goes for both blogs and MSM.

Alex
Alex
October 14, 2011 1:43 pm

proper spelling and punctuation in an article is a good thing. when you’re dashing off a comment quickly on your phone and you don’t notice the autocorrect or you hit the wrong button, a little less important.

Basshat
Basshat
October 14, 2011 7:39 pm

I suspect many of those complaining are like me; they took the offer of four free issues and the right to cancel before paying for the remaining issues. How much do you want to bet the invoices will arrive on time?

Skittles
Skittles
October 14, 2011 11:12 pm

I’ve just moved back from Montreal after a 3 year hiatus and was so happy to hear that Landry and Stellick were gone…and then I listened to the new guys. I want to punch Lang in the throat every time he opens his mouth. And after 2 days I’d already figured out the Brady schtick – hate the home team, love Detroit teams, snarky commentary about stuff he doesn’t even care about.

Why the hell is it so hard for The Fan to find a good morning show? They should exhume Pat Marsden and they’d have a better host at this point.

Ami Angelwings
October 16, 2011 4:55 am

Actually, I know how to spell. :3 I just like writing the way I do cuz it’s my style xD (as ppl who read my blog know) 😀

And it bugs the hell out of trolls xD

Ami Angelwings
October 16, 2011 4:58 am

Oddly, (and awesomely!) me and Bob share very similar tastes in entertainment xD And this has nothing to do with my crush on him. I love Rounders, I don’t like Slapshot or Caddy Shack, and I like boxing and not UFC. (I can actually explain why I think some ppl find it easier to be ok w/ boxing and not UFC even tho boxing is technically more dangerous and physically traumatic. And I wish I could explain it to Brunt xD Or at least discuss it w/ Bob and Brunt, but I’d have hearts in my eyes the whole time being in the room with both of them and that might freak TV viewers out xD )