Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

Here’s your drive home lineups

On FAN 590 tonight

Bob McCown’s co-host from 5 to 7 is Damien Cox

Joining McCown and Cox on the Friday roundtable are John Shannon of Sportsnet and Doug Smith of the Toronto Star

On TSN Radio 1050

James Cybulski’s co-host is Bob Mackowycz

430 – Toronto Mayor Rob Ford
515 – Bob McKenzie (NHL on TSN Insider)
530 – Colby Armstrong (Forward, Toronto Maple Leafs)
545 – Dan Shulman (TSN 1050 Baseball Analyst)
600 – Darren Dreger (NHL on TSN Insider)
615 – Jeremy Taggert (Our Lady Peace)
– show ends at 630pm with Argos Pregame

Tonight on Sportsline:

Is the NHL approaching WWE status, has a lucky bounce changed the fortunes for the Tigers, will the NHL take advantage of the NBA lockout and Dennis Rodman makes light of his controversial career on and off the court.
Join Mark Hebscher & Clint ‘Bubba’ O’Neil tonight at 7 on CHCH.

PBI
PBI
October 14, 2011 6:54 pm

It’s pretty scary to listen to a group of people whose livelihood involves covering and writing about sports on a daily basis who have no clue about recent history.

Cox thinking the Yankees have won 3 World Series when they’ve won 5 over the last 16 years, Mr. Magoo thinking the Texas Rangers won the world series last year.

Awful roundtable.

Another Steve
Another Steve
October 14, 2011 7:39 pm

I wonder if McCown can go a week without quipping “that’s like saying you’re a little bit pregnant.” He seems to throw that phrase out so often that I don’t think he even reflects on whether it fits the context or not.

It’s a bit of a funny way to end any segment: just growl and say “you can’t be a little bit pregnant.”

daz
daz
October 14, 2011 7:53 pm

That first hour of the round table was the worst I have seen. It got to be unwatchable. Even Damien commented on it at least twice during the show.

October 14, 2011 10:35 pm

any roundtable involving Shannon instantly gets deleted from my iPod. I was a fan of his originally, since i thought he provided a different perspective than the usual player/coach/manager banalities. however, the quality is just not there … a lot of talking on every single subject without much being said.

with so many things to listen to these days i have a hard time justifying sifting the junk PTS throws up some days.

that being said, the best interview i heard this week was Bob + Damian with Stu Grimson. That was excellent radio.

MarkinT.O.
MarkinT.O.
October 15, 2011 12:37 am

I can’t believe they did it again. Second week in a row that the PTS
round table features Damien Cox and John Shannon.
Those 2 together = awful sports radio, and combine that with a
uninterested Bob McCown, Who has been mailing it in lately,
Its hard to pick out any highlights.

Kudos to Nick Kypreos on HC, for his honesty in admitting that all
this anti-fighting, anti-head shots talk has been a great ratings grab
for Sportsnet 590.

Ami Angelwings
October 15, 2011 1:42 am

@Mark I’ve noticed that too! I’ve been wondering if it’s just because he quit smoking or what. Bob usually comes back from the summer break re-energized (though he also usually comes back with Brunt). He also seems happier during the holiday season, and those are usually the two times I love listening to the show the most 😀 But lately the quality seems rly bad even outside of those times. He just seems annoyed with everybody.

And I HATE listening to Shannon and Cox by themselves… but together… ugh -_- First, they’re not as funny as they think they are… and secondly… Shannon just… he sounds like somebody’s patronizing and condescending uncle. He can’t just answer stuff, he has to let out a big sigh and say “Damien, the league’s tried! They’ve tried!” or something like that where his voice goes up an octave and he sounds pleading and exasperated and makes whoever he’s talking to seem like a child being scolded. -_-

And it feels like Shannon is on EVERY roundtable now. :\

Also yesterday’s show where Bob was talking about colouring books. That’s usually when Brunt would play along and they’d be cute together and Bob would seem fun and happy…that’s actually why I became such a huge fan in the first place, the interplay between the two is like Mr. Dressup and Casey for adults. It’s so cute and fun 😀 But Cox just shot him down and did the “I’m the mature grumpy adult who can’t indulge in joking or playing around” -_-

Remember when bob and Brunt talked about the squirrel bob adopted for like a day? XD That’s what I mean about the interplay I love. If that was Cox he’d probably have said that squirrels were stupid and if they were going to talk about squirrels, he wouldn’t have come in -_- And Shannon would probably talk about some squirrel related incident in 1932…

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
October 15, 2011 4:48 am

Agree with other comments here.I flipped on the tv and seen Cox & Mr. Magoo in the first 30 seconds and flip bye bye not to return.The Pope could be on the round table with them and I would still bail!!

Ami Angelwings
October 15, 2011 8:01 am

I was thinking that they if it were possible, I would really love to see Dave Perkins as the alternate host for Bob, and not Shannon or Cox… Perkins would be a worthy replacement for the late great Jim Kelley I think, and both have that “old timer” feel without the “annoying relative” thing that John Shannon has. :\

Maggio
Maggio
October 15, 2011 9:23 am

The FAN’s overnight guy Jeff Samit or whatever his name is ya well add him to the un-listenable list.

That gig should have Norm Rumack there.

So it’s Richards at 5.5 and Brady at 6.2 that’s good news Brady is on the way down and hopefully on his way back to Detroit.

Darrell
Darrell
October 15, 2011 9:38 am

To my way of thinking the only person that worked well with Bob McCown was the late Jim “Shakey” Hunt. I didn’t mind Damien Cox (when he was with Stellick) but McCown and Cox are horrible. John Shannon & McCown together are even worse. Too bad Elliotte “The Freedge” Friedman works with HNIC or he’d be a great guy in with McCown.

There are a bunch of co-hosts that stink over the years who have gone on air with McCown and flopped: Michael Grange, John Shannon, Damien Cox, Stephen Brunt, Doug Smith, etc.

Il Duce
Il Duce
October 15, 2011 2:51 pm

Cox is terrible, don’t mind Shannon but I’d much rather have Brunt on PTS. Brunt knows his role, he knows he’s not a comedian but can be witty at times while still maintaining journalistic integrity. I give Cox credit that he can still write the occasional good article but more and more of his articles have been similar to those of the entertainment magazines, lots of juice but little substance. Maybe Cox now believes he’s more of an entertainer and less of a journalist.

McCown is still the best interviewer on Sports radio and has the numbers to prove it. I wonder if he’ll ever have any serious competition from TSN. I’d love to hear Dan Shulman up against him, now that would be a competition.

Capn2patch
Capn2patch
October 15, 2011 3:27 pm

True. Cox and Stellick did bounce off each other well.

October 15, 2011 4:33 pm

my nominee for awkward interview of the week goes to Cybulski & Bettman:

C-Balls: “how do you find a buyer for these struggling teams”

Bettman: “it’s not like we put up an ad on Craigslist”

C-Balls: “haha, right, it’s more like Kijiji”

let’s pause here for a second, shall we C-Balls. Bettman’s joke was actually kind of funny. Yours was not. Further, it disrupted his answer to your question. Stop trying to be funny. It ruins your interviews. Then, rather than following up with a substantive question, you ask him if he shops on Craigslist? Just. Stop. You’re wasting everyone’s time.

—-

C-Balls: “do you think you’ll eventually stop handing out the cup since it seems to be an annual tradition to boo you?”

Bettman: “our fans have a lot of passion …”
—-

while i give you credit for asking a tough question, what answer can he possibly give? what is the point of that other than to embarrass him? why not try to fold that in to a question about whether he thinks he has a good relationship with the fans, and if that matters for him to do his job well.