Toronto Sports Media September Radio Ratings

Here you go sports fans, to the best of my ability here are the September sports radio ratings. I have, again, to the best of my ability put them in an excel spreadsheet for you. I’ve added in previous books as best as I can. This will now get better/easier moving forward.

I’ve accumulated these from a variety of sources.

A couple of points to consider:

The ratings system sucks. It sucks for everyone though. Limited # of people in each bracket who actually listen to sports radio.

Note the wide range in Blair’s numbers

Both stations have moved hosts around so some #’s don’t make sense. Hayes and Patrick come to mind

As stated before, Cybulski is beating McCown in younger demo. Older demo, not so much 🙂

Enjoy

October 15, 2011 7:41 pm

Ouch…………Blair takes it on the chin…………..but I don’t know if we can blame the addition of Grange for the nosedive…………the decrease in Blair’s numbers probably had more to do with Dan Patrick being moved to the morning on 1050 and the Jays being hopelessly out of contention in September (again)

Jamally
Jamally
October 15, 2011 11:21 pm

Eric Smith with solid numbers. Tim and Sid taking that spot will be interesting.

mario
mario
October 16, 2011 5:54 am

Thanks for the spread sheet…interesting numbers to but hard to get a good read whith all the changes the past few months the Fan definetly has a good following with good numbers but as they say this is a work in progress. lets see were they all are at this time next year.

Maggio
Maggio
October 16, 2011 9:24 am

Misleading numbers as Eric Smith was not always in the 1-4pm timeslot.

The numbers reflect the fact that Blair and Grange suck! Yet another blunder by Don Kollins and the brass at Robbers.

WOW! Significant numbers of listeners leaving Greg Brady for Mike Richards.

Imagine these numbers if TSN radio actually had a decent signal.

Pelley Moore & Kollins are the equivilent to Curley Larry & Moe. The FAN 590 may have been a little stale before all their changes but i wouldn’t say the station had un-listenable shows like they got now with Brady & Blair. Jeff Lumby…Andrew Krystal…McCown to 3pm…Got Game…Vito from Woodbridge overnight…what a joke!

Il Duce
Il Duce
October 16, 2011 2:15 pm

Blair’s numbers are no surprise except maybe to himself. Sometimes good print journalists don’t always equate to good radio hosts. Does anyone remember Simmons and Ormsby in the early days of the Fan?

Blair is unlistenable and adding Grange to the mix has made it worse. Going up against Dan Patrick will make their show sink faster than the Titanic. The only difference is that the Titanic played better music!

October 16, 2011 2:42 pm

I’m not sure you can really draw any conclusions from a show going from a 5.1 to a 3.8 considering how inexact the ratings system is. You have to look at longer term trends to determine if the show is struggling or if adding Grange had any negative or positive impact. It’s really premature to say Blair is ‘taking it on the chin’ etc.

Most of the ratings seem about right to me. I’m surprised that Mike Richards does well 18-35 as Brady/Lang seems far more current/young to me. I’m also surprised that Hayes has done so poorly against Smith (the weakest show on The Fan in my opinion). Again though, it will take a few books to get a general idea of where these shows sit.

Overall, I’d imagine The Fan is pretty happy that they’re so far ahead 25-54, which I believe is the advertising sweet spot. Meanwhile TSN is probably happy that they’re making inroads with the younger demo, hoping that eventually that will translate into more 25-54 listeners.

robinaurora
robinaurora
October 16, 2011 5:46 pm

I like Dan Patrick’s show a lot. Very entertaining and a nice change in the mid day to have something listenable on sports radio.

I just noticed, Grange’s voice sounds very much like the Everyone Loves Raymond guy..(“Romano” just remembered)

Another Steve
Another Steve
October 16, 2011 6:15 pm

I’d like to know what percentage of people in the younger demographic still listen to the radio. My kids, who are 18 and 20, won’t go near the radio.

MAGGIO
MAGGIO
October 17, 2011 12:47 pm

I won’t be listening to Eric Smith or Tim & Sid and the more i listen to Son of Hayes the more i’m getting turned off he just seems like a know it all loud mouth void of any personality.

Thanks but no thanks to sports radio 1-4pm.

October 17, 2011 1:25 pm

According to the numbers that TSM has posted on this site, Blair started the year with a rating close to 7.0……………but that number has decreased with almost every set of ratings that have come out this year…………….the most recent number is 3.8……………..I will leave it up to my friend Daniel to determine whether that is a “trend” or not

I’m not saying that the 3.8 number is 100% accurate………….in fact it seems too low to me……………and maybe the 7.0 was not 100% accurate either…………..but there has to be a bit of concern, especially since there is now a quality sports alternative on 1050 in that timeslot (there was no competition at all in that timeslot until April)……………and most people consider the September ratings to be some of the most important ratings of the year…………isn’t that the reason why no one in radio is allowed to take vacation during that time?

October 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Mike – Oh I didn’t see the 7 rating…just what was on the spreadsheet there (5.6 – 6.2 – 5.1 – 3.8). We’ll see if he stays down there or evens back out into the 5s somewhere i guess..

I only made the point that it is not necessarily an indicator of anything but the inexactness of the system because the comments on here can get kind of reactionary sometimes.

Who knows though. If low numbers continue, maybe The Fan will have a weak spot there. Personally, I like the show quite a bit.

Capn2patch
Capn2patch
October 17, 2011 8:49 pm

I would be interested in knowing the TV numbers. With all the glitz from Sportsnet lately, I would be interested in knowing they’re making up ground on the TV side.

Victor
Victor
October 17, 2011 9:55 pm

I’ve said before, I’m a fan of Erik Smith’s. Somebody said earlier that he wasn’t there for September but I think he was. It was August or July that he was gone for 3-4 weeks and we had guys like Roger Lajoe filling in from what I remember. When did he actually take over for Andrew Krystal though? I don’t remember how long Smith has been there. Solid numbers there. But he’s not there for the long haul, right?

Mr. TSM, seems like you’re showing your bias though in terms of your comments regarding Hayes and Patrick as opposed to the real story of the Fan’s side of things in those cases.

Either way, I still like having choices and options and just hope to see more improvements from TSN.

Victor