What Should TSN Radio Do?

So the numbers are inching up. Not great. Better. I know, more people listen to McCown on his roof to him on a megaphone. TSN, in this writer’s opinion have a very difficult decision to make. The Richards experiment can’t last much longer. The question is who or whom do you put in the morning slot?

Cybulski and co. is doing a nice job in the afternoon. Are they catching McCown? No. Are they slowly building a following? Yes I believe they are. No doubt it’s the local star of the station right now. So, here’s the question:

Let’s assume Richards is put out of his misery (or ours). Do you go external for a replacement or do you pull Cybulski and put that show in the morning?

I don’t think it’s an easy decision. Do you allow Cybulski to build on what he has started at 4pm, or do you take that strength to the disaster that is the morning show.

The easy answer is it depends on who the alternative is.

The challenge for TSN is that for some strange reason Bryan Hayes is struggling to gain traction, irrespective of the time slot he is in. I think they would love to put Cybulski in the morning and have Hayes do drive home. The numbers, although not the only factor have to carry some weight.

Landsberg could make life easier for them if he agreed to do a show. However I think OTR is doing really well and it’s hard to see him giving that up right now. Can he do both?

So, you want to play program director, what do you do and why?

BTW- 9 years ago the coolest young man in my life was born. The happiest of birthdays to little TSM

Mike
Mike
October 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Sid and Tim would have been perfect as a Morning Show tandem over at TSN Radio 1050 in the event Mike Richards didnt work out. Alas Sportsnet 590 The Fan picked them up it wasnt meant to be. What about a morning show consisted of Matthew Cauz, Bob Mackowycz, and a established TSN Veteran such as a Dave Hodge or Rod Black???? Bryan Hayes would be good 2……. I agree right now James Cybulski is building a following in the drive home slot beats FOB (Friends of Bob) in my opinion…..

time will tell!

Bob Roper
Bob Roper
October 17, 2011 9:41 pm

TSN has the budget to do whatever it wants. That means hiring real talent that can focus on becoming a true “evolution of sports radio”. Richards? Bye Bye. Patrick? Bye Bye…there is NO reference to local Southern Ontario sports. Hayes needs a PD who can tell him to slow down…take a breath…let his listeners absorb what he is talking about…more interviews…give his quarter hour segments more focus…and he needs far less “banter” with the non-talent station personnel who have absolutely nothing to add. Cybulski and Co are getting better (but at a snail’s pace). Macko is good…the rest of his “sidekicks” are non-entities (like Wheeler…please!. Nobody listens after drive…so who cares.

They need to give the station time. It’s not sports, but CHUM-FM changes every ten years…from Top 40 to A/C…and ends up back on top. They grow their audience knowing that it takes time. TSN1050 needs to climb in for the long haul and aim for a younger audience who will mature and grow with the station. TheFan’s audience is older and will only get older. Ask CFRB what happened to their dynasty when they refused to get “younger”.

The question is…will TSN have the patience to let it grow.

Bradmclean13
Bradmclean13
October 17, 2011 9:42 pm

To me Hayes is the star of TSNradio because he is always straight ahead on topic sports talk, and he is knows enough about every relevant sport. Hayes with Ferraro is a must listen for hockey fans. He should be in mornings cause drive home is just sacrificial. Cybulski and Co is just glorified college radio, filled with cheesy humour and amateurish cadence. Ughhh.

Victor
Victor
October 17, 2011 10:01 pm

How about actually hiring some Fan 590 people? Seems like they’re actually trying to prove some sort of point that they can beat the Fan without using the Fan to help them in any way with hirings and so on.

mario
mario
October 17, 2011 10:36 pm

TSN radio has a long way to go but they have to give it time to grow.. the Fan just did’ent happen over night…they have to find new young talent which is noy easy( just ask the Fan] whith all the house cleaning they have done in the past year and still have not fully recovered.. Please no more on air talent from the TV side it is just one big infomercial for TSN… and I am sick of it.. just look at the line ups in the AM /PM on 1050… too much of the same people all the time, just like 640 and Bill Watters..

Smack
Smack
October 17, 2011 11:27 pm

With respect to Bryan Hayes, perhaps it’s the fake accent that puts people off? Certainly puts me off. Makes me think, “What else about this guy is fake?”

drum&anchor
drum&anchor
October 18, 2011 12:08 am

Can’t help but agree with Bob Roper, 100%. Well written and well said.

Give the station some time but do make some changes that, clearly, need to be addressed. Personally, I have not heard Richards all that much but if I was to describe him, it would be “disappointing”. Seems dull, to me. Cybulski does not turn my crank, either. However, I am older and not in their demographic at all, so he may grow with younger listeners. Something The Fan may have to concern themselves with in time.

The one TSN personality I DO listen to is Brian Hayes. Better than Eric Smith at The Fan but, so help me, if I have to listen to him say, “I put this out on Twitter last night” or “I got a ton of tweets on this” one more time….I’m going to spit-up!

dave in bolton
dave in bolton
October 18, 2011 1:39 am

here’s what I think they should do

1. swap signals with 640 and become TSN Radio 640. after all Corus competes with Newstalk 1010 and TSN competes with the Fan so it would only make sense for both to be closer to their competion.

2. Hire former 590 president Nelson Milman to be the new head of TSN radio.

3. get the leaf rights

4. hire Howard Burger to be a Leafs expert/commentator.

5. move Mike Richards to late nights.

6. hire Dan O Toole and Jay Onrait as the new mourning hosts.

7. hire James Duthie and call the show Insider Trading (a segment that TSN alrady does) as the new TSN Drive at home.

you can bring on differnet commentators of differnet sports to be Insiders with round tables. Have the show live on TSN2 withwith hosts from TSN and ESPN.

8. move Cybulski & company to the 7pm timeslot after Insider Trading

9. move TSN The Reporters with Dave Hodge to Radio on Sundays (ie same idea as Insider Trading). TSN TV network has too meny properties on Sundays. so turn the show into a radio show show and simulcast on TSN2 and TSN.

10. less ESPN radio they need local Radio to really compete with the Fan

11. buy the Score and turn their radio network into another TSN rado brand.

12. less CFL nothing kills TV/Radio like the CFL.

Johannes Gutenberg
Johannes Gutenberg
October 18, 2011 3:12 am

Dave in Bolton – your little 12-point plan would literally cost hundreds of millions of dollars – $200 million is the asking price to buy The Score – overtaking 640 would cost tens of millions more – Leaf rights, millions more – it would cost a fortune for talent would leave their successful TV gigs for fledging radio, especially Duthie, Hodge and Onrait – television’s fight between TSN and Sportsnet is far more fierce and lucrative than radio – CFL is 2nd highest-rated sport next to hockey in Canada, TSN’s most financially-successful property.

Ami Angelwings
October 18, 2011 3:59 am

Give Bruce Arthur more time! And pick somebody other than James Cybulski to fill that slot. XD He doesn’t seem to have much of a personality to me. :\ I keep wanting to like that show because whenever Cox is on I want an option other than my CD collection or KX98.

Also, the TSN radio site needs to be less integrated into the regular TSN site, it has to look like it can stand on it’s own the way FAN590 does, and put up podcasts. (If they have podcasts I can’t seem to find them, I just find little clips from the shows) I don’t always listen to the shows live, I tend to listen after the fact on podcasts when I’m doing other things and listening to my ipod, but THAT lets me know whether a shot is worth listening to or not regularly.

Another thing. Just as a question to the people here… does TSN radio slant to the right of the political spectrum (and social issues spectrum) or something? I just seem to be getting this impression with how they have Hudak and Ford on,and how Arthur seems to be the only anti-fighting voice on the show. Although, I also heard Hayes talking about the Buffalo Bills fans slagging that female sports columnist and he seemed to be pretty good about that (I still remember how sophomoric Bob and Kirke were re: Erin Andrews and especially the Ines Sainz incidents).

I don’t listen to TSN enough, so I’m just asking because that’s the impression I’m getting and it might be incorrect.

Ami Angelwings
October 18, 2011 4:14 am

2. Hire former 590 president Nelson Milman to be the new head of TSN radio.

Isn’t Milman working for Sportsnet on the TV side now?

Ami Angelwings
October 18, 2011 4:15 am

Maybe after his term is over and he gets voted out, TSN should hire Rob Ford to host the 4-7 hour against Bob. xD

Ami Angelwings
October 18, 2011 4:20 am

Also happy birthday little TSM! 😀

October 18, 2011 8:11 am

TSN needs to cast its gaze 5 years down the road to when Bob is ready to retire. Is Cybulski the future, or would they rather have someone else in place for the post PTS era?

I don’t think Cybulski is well suited to drive time. He gets a lot of good interviews due to this valuable timeslot, and in my opinion his interview style is not very probing or professional: a lot of dumb jokes, and a lot of sucking up to the guest, very few quality follow-ups. He’s better suited to the morning slot where “entertainment” is more of a desideratum.

I would be ok with them putting Hodge or Landsberg or Arthur in the drivetime slot for the next year while they think about how to go forward. Maybe Hayes will be ready to take over in a year, but if they don’t want to give the slot to Hayes eventually then they need to think about a longterm replacement for Cybulski.

robinaurora
robinaurora
October 18, 2011 9:17 am

Richards is painful to listen to (this morning was cringeworthy and he sounds desperate). It is almost as bad as Krystal, but not quite – Too bad TSN didn’t source a stronger personality because the FAN morning show is only slightly better and went through the cluster F (sorry) …that was Krystal – that was TSN’s great opportunity to hurt the FAN in a drive time slot. Leave Cybulski alone – I hate McCown and his cronies and I am not alone. They are old codgers that make me feel old listening to that banter. Cybulski with all his warts is much preferable.

Leave the FAN’s scrap heap alone too – build from TSN’s dominance over SN (which is garbage). I like O’toole and Onrait as an alternative (they are not for everyone, but younger people love them). Anyone BUT Landsberg. He is a complete knob – I can ignore him easier in half hour increments on TV where he can do no harm…

Stephane
Stephane
October 18, 2011 9:18 am

It’s unfortunate but Richards is a train wreck. Something’s gotta give eventually because Lang and Brady are stinking the joint out over at the Fan and TSN could really capitalize if they play their cards right. The idea of Landsberg in the evenings is interesting, I think he could go head to head with McCown. He would also bring in big name co hosts and guests, from not only the sports arena but also entertainment, politics, etc… I also like the idea of C-Ball in the morning, but with a newer cast of co hosts, perhaps a funny sports guy, a la Gord Stellick or Jay Onright. Jack Armstrong could be OK as well. I think the worst concept for a Morning show is to have 2 polar opposite personalities, the last thing I want to start my day with is two knuckle heads arguing, which is why the Fan is no longer in my morning rotation.
On a side note: I haven’t heard anything from Sean McCormick recently, which is a very good thing, that guy is the WORST.

Ami Angelwings
October 18, 2011 9:25 am

McCormick is the guy that Cox alluded to a while ago right? The former Sportsnet employee who called himself “the dude”? Cox said that he didn’t get elected, and the only one I can think that that applies to is him…

Stephane
Stephane
October 18, 2011 9:50 am

Yeah he got murdered in the Municipal elections but popped up on TSN radio at one point. His whole campaign was that he “was worried about where his taxes were going” and that Tornto “wasn’t fun” He’s married to Jenifer Hedger.

MAGGIO
MAGGIO
October 18, 2011 9:55 am

Dave in Bolton, there is no way 640 is going to give up their spot on the am dial for a worse signal at 1050…ridiculous theory….nor would i want them to as Coast To Coast AM with George Noory on 640 is the best radio show on the planet attracting millions of listeners and Illuminati hating watchdogs.

I agree with the comment that if TSN had a decent morning show, and signal, Brady would not be stinking it up on the FAN he too would be toast.

Also if Richard’s is in trouble Mr TSM at 5.5 then why don’t you mention the fact that Brady at 6.2 ain’t much better? Actually with all factors considered Brady on an established station and with a far better signal really is doing worse than Richards.

And how are Bynum’s numbers compared to Watters?

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
October 18, 2011 10:12 am

The Mike Richards Experiment is definitely nearing its end one would hope. Perhaps at the least, they should put another strong personality on the air with him. I have completely stopped trying to listen to that show.

I do still think the Dan Patrick show is excellent. May not be Canadian or Southern Ontario content, but it is a very well produced sports talk show. Listening to them talk about the NFL and Baseball right now is so superior to what either TSN or Sportsnet is offering.

I don’t think anything is going to beat PTS for awhile, so all the more reason TSN needs to focus on winning the AM drivein time. Perhaps the Cybulski show in the AM is an option, but it shouldn’t include Gareth Wheeler. When I do give the Cybulski show a chance just hearing Wheeler is too much like nails on chalkboard for me. I know it is just how he sounds but it drives me nuts and gives me nightmares of that Sun Sports Talk show.

Simon
Simon
October 18, 2011 10:29 am

James Cybulski’s show has quickly become “must-listen radio” for Toronto sports fans. Unlike McCown, he allows his guests to answer questions without jumping down their throats and interrupting them if he disagrees with their opinions.

drumanchor
drumanchor
October 18, 2011 11:08 am

Lots of very relevant comments here. Some are a little ridiculous, but most are quite good.

One thing I think we have learned, is that radio is a brutal business. Very nasty. Often pays it’s talent absolutely next to nothing and when it does start to pay and one is lucky enough to get into a prime time gig, the pressure to succeed is enormous. Makes me feel for Richards. He seems to be in over his head and I would bet he is wishing he stayed in Calgary.

Personally, the only TSN 1050 talent I’m generally listening to is Hayes. I agree with Bob Roper’s assessment.

Brian, dude, cut back on the Redbull and occasionally take a breath. Non-stop talking is annoying and, so help me, if I keep hearing, “I put this out on Twitter last night” or “I got a ton of tweets on this”, I’m going to spit up!!

Mike V
Mike V
October 18, 2011 11:10 am

Isn’t the 18-34 rating enough to save Richards for a little while longer? Granted the 25-54 number is terrible but I can’t see TSN yanking off its highest rated show in the younger demo after 6 months.

And to be fair to McCormick, he was running a centre-right campaign in one of the most left-wing wards in the city.

October 18, 2011 11:14 am

i’m going to echo the comments above and ask why TSM (and others) think that Richards is doomed. He is clearly holding an audience, and we cut everybody else on TSN a ton of slack since it is still early in the game, so why the double standard?

I agree that Richards’ show is unlistenable but I have disliked pretty much every morning radio show i have ever heard, so i am starting to think the problem is me.

William
William
October 18, 2011 12:24 pm

TSN has the budget to do whatever it wants

I’m not so sure this is the case any longer. CTV is now controlled by a phone company rather than actual experienced broadcasters (like Rogers is). With the threat of another recession, I’m not sure the bean-counters at Bell would be too willing to throw tons of money around.

Chef Mike in Burlington
October 18, 2011 12:46 pm

I’ve been silly busy this week, where are the numbers?? I’ve only listened to Richards 3-4 times since he started, it just doesn’t work for me, don’t know why, it just doesn’t. Same as Blair, doesn’t work for me either.

I am surprised by Hayes, for me he is the only guy there I regularly tune into. Personally, I would like to see either him or Mike Hogan do the Morning Show, I think either would be work. Not sure if there is a place in Toronto for Richards, at least in sports, he seems lost here.

As for Dan Patrick, I know there is an audience for a non-Toronto specific sports show, whether it’s a national ESPN feed, or Rome on 550. More and more folks like me who don’t care about “Vito on the 427” calling Blair to complain about some AAA utility outfielder or why some 4th line winger missed a pass with 4 minutes left in the 3rd…

My Bell friends told me a year ago that TSN has a long rope and lots of cash to build this thing, and we’re only 6 months in, still lots of time…

Julian
Julian
October 18, 2011 1:30 pm

Wow, lots of opinions.

I know I rarely post but I will weigh in.

1. I have friends in sales in radio. I can’t emphasize enough how important the 25-54 male demo is and how TOTALLY unimportant everything else is. That’s where the money gets paid in this format especially but almost all formats except middle-of-the road, CHFI or MIX 99.9 type stuff. I hate calling it “housewife music channels” so hope I didn’t offend.

That being said, mornings still are a massive blowout. Massive. A 6.8 to 1.3 is a scalping. Richards is getting shredded where it matters and also when it matters. If that doesn’t change, yeah, TSN has some big questions, but finances do come into play. Think about it, AM640 Toronto is paying Bill Watters, some have said, close to a half-million dollars to sit there and twiddle his thumbs, appearing on the odd pre-game show for the Leafs because they want to shift the tides in programming. Some of it me thinks is who Watters is, as in old, bitter, tired, and damaged goods after so many hosts jumped ship for much more lucrative and clearer waters (Marek & Brady especially), but either way, does TSN really want to pay Mike Richards a boatload of money not to do anything for up to a year.

Richards won’t be welcomed back into the Rogers family in Calgary, the only place his schtick’s ever been successful and as I’ve noted before, a radio market the size of Fort Wayne, Indiana. So I don’t know what he does. Would AM640 bring him in? And they couldn’t because of his non-compete for a while, I’d bet.

2. I agree with most folks, he’s got more time and even if fall is a disaster, he’ll get next spring during hockey playoffs and a full book (unlike the seven of twelve weeks he had). Saying that, they promoted the crap out of him during playoff games and no one showed up to listen. And TSN can’t play the “hey, no one knows we’re here” card with their dreadful morning show when Cybulski and Patrick pick up slightly growing numbers.

3. TSN is in for the long haul. Comparisons to the Team 1050 era are as stupid as the “Look out Fan 590, Kollins is going to be fired, TSN’s going to steamroll them and steal all their ratings, haha, Robbers, blah blah, pew pew, etc.” crowd is. They’re doing LOCAL sports, not NATIONAL, and that will only help them. The concept is gearing a show towards a local audience. They’ll spend the money, but yeah, TSM is right. Massive question if Richards goes, do you move Cybulski to mornings? Is Brady going to be the “heir apparent” to McCown in 5-6 years? I like Brady, that’s well-documented, but I do feel the show now misses his ability to stretch out and be himself at his best. I adored his chemistry with Watters and thought he was great doing his own show on 590, but as this blogger pointed out, you’re playing to a much smaller audience. I really don’t know what I’d do if I’m TSN with Cybulski. Hayes is a lot further from being ready than I thought. I liked him a lot on 640 and early on doing 10-noon or 9-noon at 1050. His numbers are dreadful and his show bores me. I am very disappointed. So yeah, no matter what, TSN Radio is likely here to stay, but I would bet dollars to donuts Richards gets nowhere and is not in that slot within 10 months.

4. Do they keep Patrick and run a US-based syndicated show against Blair or is there a better option locally? Are they gaining ground because Blair is not a novelty anymore or because Patrick is unique to this market. I will say this, I don’t like the Blair/Grange pairing. I like Grange as a guest on shows. I don’t like this mix. It’s the same with Bruce Arthur. A fine guest for a 10 minute segment. I think he’s a really, really weak co-host. That’s just me. And don’t blame 590 for “letting him go”, some of you. He jumped to TSN on his own so he could be on a show with Steve Simmons and Dave Hodge on Sunday mornings. Not sure about that call.

5. Mike In Boston mentioned mornings and for whatever reason, I’m in the same camp. Why is it so hard to find a morning show that I really, really like? I like Brady far more than Lang, so I can put up with Lang, but I do way more flipping in the morning. Just never to 1050. In a 30 minute drive when I’m not taking subway, I’ll punch 590, 680, 640 (never 1010…no interest, I’m 34 years old) Q107, the Edge (if I hear music, I’m gone) and get through a couple IPod songs.

On this board, Brady got real positive comments while with Watters and while on his own. I’d say it’s 50/50 now. Is it him or the slot? Many of you liked Gord Stellick but you sure weren’t saying so when he was with Don Landry. That show seemed universally despised (ok, not Krystal or Richards levels) by most on here. Remember, McCown failed in mornings. It wasn’t his thing and he readily admits it. I hope Brady’s show gets better, and it may very well still be finding itself. He’s not even been in that slot a year. Was it December he started? But it takes a while to build something huge. I think the parts are there at 590, we’ll see if it works. Whatever you think of the Fan, TSN, whatever, the most bitching done in any city when it comes to radio is about the morning shows. Is it because none of us want to get up and go to work? Let’s face it, Krystal’s show made us angrier because he was such a dick, right? Oh, and knew nothing about sports. Forgot that part.

6. As for grabbing other Fan talent, not sure what TSN can do. Everyone would have non-compete deals. McCown’s staying at 590 with his buddy Pelly, and he’s got an empire there, it’s stupid to think otherwise. Blair and Grange are big parts of the Rogers brand now, Kypreos, Millard, etc. If they offered Brady crazy money, he’d still have to sit out probably 5-6 months and why leave a morning show getting a 6.8 to take over a 1.3? That’s insane.

7. As for Bryan Hayes, TSM was debating whether Hayes should have grabbed the 1-4p FAN slot offered to him a while back, he didn’t, but he also didn’t know he’d have the worst numbers on their station at that point in time. I wonder now if he’d like the built-in audience Tim and Sid will take over whenever it is they start. That battle may get way worse and there’s no co-host coming in to save Hayes, or Richards for that matter. A birdie told me Richards has a clause preventing a co-host from coming in. Not sure he planned this properly coming back. He could have kept being a hit in Calgary for another 5-6 years probably before he gets deep into his 50s.

October 18, 2011 1:52 pm

Great post, Julian. You should post more often.

October 18, 2011 2:01 pm

Well, with TSN radio, it seems going forward that Richards and Hayes are question marks, whereas Patrick and Cybulski have established themselves at least as shows that look sustainable (I personally don’t love the Cybulski show – but it has gotten better).

To give Cybulski a better shake, I’d think about putting him on 3 – 6 or even 2 – 6. Let him try to grow while avoiding the McCown train a little bit.

I’m not sure if this is logistically possible, but Onrait and O’Toole are very popular on Sportscentre. I think people would go out of their way to check out a radio show involving those two. If Cybulski was to end at 6, maybe you could give them an irreverent, hour long show at 6.

October 18, 2011 2:05 pm

“Also if Richard’s is in trouble Mr TSM at 5.5 then why don’t you mention the fact that Brady at 6.2 ain’t much better?”

Yeah, I’ll echo Julian on this point. To the best of my knowledge, the Male 25-54 demo is really the one that the stations and advertisers are concerned about.

Steve-O
October 18, 2011 2:48 pm

Couple of comments:

1. First of all, with the money that TSN is likely paying Mike Richards they are not going to shift him to an obscure timeslot. I’m not sure how much coin he is bringing in, but it’s not late night radio money. He’s not my cup of tea and is comedy bits are beyond bad, but he does do a good interview.

2. I’m not a huge fan of Cybulski and company, but he is growing on me and I’m starting to get his laid back vibe. He is trying too hard to be cool. Bottom line is that he’s a sports geek, like most people on sports radio. That’s not criticism, it’s a compliment.

3. I’d get rid of the Dan Patrick Show. I like him as a host, but if you want to build or have some congruity during the day, syndicated programming is not the way to go. I’d have a Landsberg type at that time, as I think a big TSN name in that slot would go along away in building for the day.

4. 12-1 on TSN should be a hockey show to rival Hockey Central. Lord knows that TSN has enough hockey people to put together an hour.

5. They can surely make some use of a known quantity like Sean McCormick, if he’s serious about getting back into sports. Nothing like a former high profile Rogers guy in your fold.

6. Can the silly interviews with those tools from E-Talk and other non-sports related stuff. It’s clumsy insertion of pop-culture.

Another Steve
Another Steve
October 18, 2011 3:01 pm

A question for someone in the radio business (or someone who knows the technology): there was a comment which suggested that TSN simply buy a better spot on the dial (640’s, I believe). I thought that the problem was that they aren’t investing in the transmission technology. Does this mean that some frequencies are naturally more powerful than others? Sorry for the ignorant question, but a brief explanation from someone in the know would be appreciated.

Il Duce
Il Duce
October 18, 2011 4:49 pm

Richards will be fine, the numbers will follow. That is if TSN is patient and gives it time to develop.

I like Lang and think he’s very knowledgeable but Brady… I just don’t get. Sure, he can come up with some obscure fact that no one can really relate to or try to insert some corny Richie Cunningham type humour. One gets the impression that sooner or later if some offer comes along Brady is going to pull the chute and bail. Alfred E. Neuman can’t connect with the listeners and will begin to lose his audience to Richards.

Cybulski isn’t great and listeners can’t relate. I would have loved to seen Jeff Marek at TSN drive home slot, that is before he went to 590. Jeff can bring his level up to do a great interview with a sports league commissioner and then he can talk to a regular listener about MMA without being arrogant.

PBI
PBI
October 18, 2011 7:11 pm

I’ve been saying this since the first books came back in May, you have to give Richards/Cybulski/Son of Hayes at least the duration of the entire Leafs season and look at the books during the summer of 2012 before even considering drastic changes.

I know it’s fun to discuss blowing things up after 6 months but doing so already would put TSN in a tougher spot.

cam
cam
October 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Mike in Boston, I think it is just a very tough time slot as the only show I can think of is Bob & Tom in the US. It has been a few weeks since I have listened to morning drive time radio but I happened to catch the two sports morning shows this week. Frankly they were both “unlistenable” and were quickly turned off.

I agree with others that Richards does have time but needs two things: frank honest assessment of his comedy bits as most are just not funny and a much stronger on air supporting cast a point not lost on Derringer.

In my opinion, Patrick’s show is just too well produced to punt. There is enough other local content. There is no reason to move on this during the NFL season and while the competition is Blair.

Hayes has potential but like Richards needs some help. Similarly he needs better on air support or a “not so serious” co-host especially if Tim and Sid deliver for the Fan. Don’t know who is producing this show. However, if they let him call Sweetness by Jeff Pearlman an autobiography for two segments, I bet they are not coaching on the cadence.

As for the drive home, continue stealing from the younger demographic while looking for a stronger threat to McCown. If the posters here are representative, there may be an ability to take advantage of the “Cox” weeks to start stealing share.

The real high point has been the weekends on TSN Radio with Hogan and Cauz.

Capn2patch
Capn2patch
October 18, 2011 7:52 pm

Hey Julian, nice to see you post once in a while.

Concerning your point #6.
I’m not in broadcasting but the same would apply, I would leave a show with a 6.8 if I was getting 1.3 money. Question is what is he getting paid. And as far as the non-compete goes, people have the right to make a living. If he gets canned or leaves he must get paid for the duration of the agreement. If people sign it any other way then…

Capn2patch
Capn2patch
October 18, 2011 8:01 pm

Agree with you Cam that weekends are good for TSN Radio. I like the format even though (excluding Hogan) the hosts can be a little too folksy. But the format is good.

Brad Mclean
Brad Mclean
October 18, 2011 10:41 pm

Another drastically overlooked areas that TSN needs improvement is the realm of Podcasts. The Fan’s are perfectly arranged and cut up to fit perfectly under 20mb( the maximum for 3G download) with consistent production. iTunes can be setup to auto download any new ones. TSN podcasts however are always inconsistent production(ranging from mono streaming sound to well produced) and of varying lengths that can not always be downloadable from mobile unit. Even worse is when you subscribe to TSN podcasts you get the Winnepeg, Montreal and toronto shows all mashed together including full 3 hour podcasts of game play by play. Completely Non-sensical and absurd. It”s awesome when your IPhone doesn’t auto sync cause there isn’t enough room because of the 9 hours worth of old games that are trying to be put on.

Radio Richard
Radio Richard
October 19, 2011 1:18 am

One of the biggest problems with tSN since the start is the poor self-promotion, shabby web presence, and the worst thing, the slutty female almost synthetic voice that comes on every 5 minutes especially during the Richard’s show in the morning. A tag-line of “”Evolution of Sports Radio,” What’s that? The only thing that it has morphed into is bringing ESPN (actually) and Fox Radio (practically) into Canada. The ESPN content is good; the Fox gimicks, re: slutty almost synthetic female voice not necessary. The ultimate blunder though is the bright idea to simocast Argo games with the television feed. If this is the nature of evolution, we’re all in trouble; it is supposed to be radio isn’t it. If the plan is to do radio on the cheap, then there’s no doubt why TSN Radio finds itself lagging in the ratings.

TSN has it all over Sportsnet on television. Why, because it has the history, the professionalism, and the talent. I think the radio side should take a page from that wealth of experience, chicks Bob cole diggs, the evil Jerry, didn’t work so well on 590 in its time, why again?

I think Toronto likes its long-time voices. Earl mcRae would have been perfect for the station. Give a show to Brian Williams, how about Rick Hodge; these are personalities that the Toronto audience would probably enjoy. As for me, give me more ESPN, play some classic sports moments especially from the Boston Celtics, I digress, and evolve sports radio from where it originated from rather than cheapening it both in terms of content and image by simocasting and slutty voices.

Sam in Oshawa
October 19, 2011 6:41 pm

The comments were a treat to read,i read them twice.Congrats to all…

Dok
Dok
October 19, 2011 10:58 pm

Everyone is talking about Sid and Tim at the fan. Maybe another former score guy for TSN in Bomani Jones. Doesn’t do alot of hockey but is very strong in basketball and brings a different outlook on sports then you normally get.

mpdman
mpdman
October 20, 2011 8:38 pm

I know I’m an island out here, but I really prefer the TSN morning show. Richards is actually better when he doesn’t try to be the king of comedy. He knows his stuff, and they have much better guests.

I find the Fan morning team unlistenable. They both seem to have ADD – can’t finish a sentence, and can’t say anything without forcing a pop culture reference in there. Just wait – this will get very old, very fast for you guys.

Toronto radio fans are like Leaf fans – they just want to sit where they are, grumble, and be satisfied with an inferior product.

Matt
Matt
December 16, 2011 3:47 pm

I like Hayes but I think that they should play him in the 10-12 slot. Patrick has to go. I simply don’t tune in at all. The same goes for the baseball head on 590. 10-12 is a big void in the dial and I find that I’m always listening to the radio at that time.

I listed to Cybals now instead of Bob. I’ve listened to Bob for a decade now but he has been replaced. Too much american sports.

As far as Richards is concerned, don’t know. I listen to The Dean Blundel Show on 102.1. Funniest guys around TV or radio.

Alex
Alex
April 4, 2012 7:20 am

Is it me or is the Mike Richards show the worst thing you have ever heard on radio in a major media market? The unfunny jokes, really bad imitations and poor quality sound bits sound like amateur hour at the local high school. I cannot believe this guy was sought out and shipped in from Calgary (they should have known better)! Someone should tell this guy that the 1990’s have been history for 12 years.

Brian
Brian
June 5, 2012 11:51 pm

I just found this thread and while it is a bit dated, there are a lot of really interesting suggestions made by posters. Half of you guys should be running the Fan and 1050. I listened to the Fan growing up in the 90’s and I loved it, but in teh last couple of years, it has really lost me. So I was excited when 1050 was started, but it kind of sucks too. It seems like both stations have trouble finding compelling hosts. I still love McCown and probably always will. Brady and Lang aren’t bad, but don’t make me want to tune in everyday. Brian Hayes has a lot of potential, but is still a little green. And I am always happy to hear Jack Armstrong. Other than that, I don’t care about any of the other guys on the Fan or 1050, nobody makes me want to tune in, which depresses me. 1050 really needs to get some marquee guys to compete. With the exception of Mike Richards, who is brutal, they are a bunch of no-names. If they want to make a good hire, they should pick up Mike Toth. I loved him on the Fan and he has a really good sports show on 1010 now that I have caught a few times. He is entertaining and doesn’t get enough credit for being a really good interviewer. Hopefully 1010 can get it together because I am really missing the old days of good sports radio.

Kevin
Kevin
June 10, 2012 11:10 pm

Mike Richards has to go, morning show on TSN 1050 is awful, stop hiring people who were fired from FAN590, they were let go for a reason, when Mike Hogan was at FAN590 his ratings were down the toilet, no wonder people don’t listen to TSN Radio.

Jason
Jason
June 26, 2012 1:38 pm

Cybulski is building a following? That blows my mind – a kid who didn’t pick up a stick or play ANY sport growing up other than teatherball is building a following….cripes he makes my ears bleed with his ‘not a clue’ about ANY sport or sports subject. Kudo’s to his researchers I guess….

Jason
Jason
June 26, 2012 1:40 pm

BRIAN HAYES SHOW <—————— have any of you googled Steph Apolito? Wowza, she makes the show for me – she's super hot and knows sports #makeStephTheNewHost