Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

OK, false alarm yesterday, as Dewey Bozella was a no show. However, he was on at 4pm today with McCown, and it was an excellent interview.

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN tonight, Prime Time Sports, with Bob McCown

4:00 – Dewey Bozella, boxer, won his pro boxing debut at the age of 52 last weekend, after spending 26 years in prison for a crime he didn’t commit
4:20 – Doug McLean, Sportsnet
5:00 – 7:00 – Roundtable, McCown, Brunt, Shannon, and Shoalts

On TSN Radio 1050

James Cybulski’s co-host is Bob Mackowycz

4:00 – Toronto Mayor Rob Ford
4:15 – Brendan Halloran (Comedian)
4:30 – Method Man
4:45 – Joffrey Lupul (Toronto Maple Leafs)
5:00 – Fab 5
(Argos pre-game starts at 530pm)

Tonight on Sportsline:

Did Tony LaRussa over manage in game 2 of the World Series, did Maple Leafs Head Coach Ron Wilson hang Jonas Gustavsson out to dry, will Raiders QB Carson Palmer start on Sunday and have members of the Toronto Triumph learned a lesson about the Lingerie Football League? Join Mark Hebscher & Clint ‘Bubba’ O’Neil, tonight at 7 on CHCH.

October 21, 2011 5:38 pm

Shawn S
Shawn S
October 21, 2011 6:03 pm

Shannon is terrible on the roundtable. Doesn’t let others get a word in, especially when it comes to hockey topics. I had to turn it off after the leafs portion.

Ryan
Ryan
October 21, 2011 6:29 pm

Best of luck to Gareth Wheeler next week and weeks to follow.

Capn2patch
Capn2patch
October 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Lineup for the last 7 weeks on the Friday Round Table

10/21 – BRUNT SHOALTS SHANNON
10/14 – COX SMITH SHANNON
10/7 – COX DEACON SHANNON
9/30 – COX MAREK SHANNON
9/23 – COX PERKINS SHANNON
9/16 – COX FRIEDMAN SHANNON
9/9 – COX BRUNT SHANNON

Shannon has been on for the last 7 weeks
Cox has been on for 6

I need an alternative. TSN Radio, please grant me mercy.

PBI
PBI
October 22, 2011 12:10 am

I was forced to listen to Cybulski from 4-5 PM hour while waiting for the roundtable and Bob Mackowycz is really good. I don’t know if it’s the fact that Cybuslki himself is super vanilla and never has anything interesting to say but he’s reaching Brunt like levels.

Guy
Guy
October 22, 2011 12:50 am

@Ryan.. is Wheeler leaving the C-balls show?

PBI
PBI
October 22, 2011 1:15 am

No, he has cancer.

Ami Angelwings
October 22, 2011 2:01 am

“MIKE S
October 21, 2011 at 5:38 pm
One of the things I liked about the PTS roundtable is they used to always bring in at least two outside people for it……………now it seems like Shannon is on the roundtable just about every week and they are only bringing in one outside person…………..does anyone here agree with that decision ??”

I’ve noticed this too. Often they seem to just do all in-house too with Shannon, Brunt and Cox >_> Mind you, given how TSN and Sportsnet are dividing up the world, outside of like Ormsby, Perkins, Smith and Shoalts, there aren’t a lot of non-in-house left XD I guess Deacon (but I hate listening to Deacon) and Kirke xD

@Shawn that’s what i don’t like about Shannon, he is THE GUY THAT KNOWS HOCKEY and he acts like anybody with a differing opinion should shut up and let him tell them what’s true… >_>

Ann Marie
Ann Marie
October 22, 2011 11:27 am

When they were discussing the rotating co-hosts, and how no one ever knows who is going to show up, Shannon said ‘all I know is I’m booked for every Friday’.

Enjoy.

Don Mandrie
Don Mandrie
October 22, 2011 2:04 pm

John Shannon is on every PTS round because he has a contract that needs to be worked off.

Mike
Mike
October 22, 2011 2:13 pm

anyone else think McCown should bring in Humble & Fred for the roundtable segments ? They were all hillarious when they were on Prime Time this past week… and its not like they are contracted to any radio station at the moment… they have way more charisma then say John Shannon or Doug MacLean or Mary Ormsby

Steve
Steve
October 22, 2011 4:21 pm

On yesterday’s roundtable Shannon said he was booked for all Friday roundtables. I’ll see if I can find the time in the podcast.

October 22, 2011 5:35 pm

my nominees for worst and best interviews this week, both from PTS:

worst: Bob + Becker on the NBA labour issue

Bob trying to equate his vast knowledge of negotiating his own contracts to the NBA and its players engaging in collective bargaining.

This interview was too stupid for words. Becker explained why these things were very different matters while Bob kept trying to force a point that just wasn’t there. Becker is a good guest, but he might be a little too smart for Bob when Brunt isn’t there.

best: Bob + Shannon + Christine Brennan on the possibility of a woman GM in baseball

good questions all around, including by Mr Shannon (who had actually read her article and was able to ask specific questions as a result … a welcome change from what is the norm for PTS hosts and co-hosts). Brennan really drove the interview and ended up with the best line:

“asking if women should be allowed in the locker room is like asking if women should be allowed to vote.”

happy weekend everyone.

Steve
Steve
October 22, 2011 6:15 pm

@Mike

The Becker interview was too painful for words. Becker couldn’t get a word in edgewise. McCown just kept hammering his incredibly unuanced “point”. Trying to be “funny” or “edgy” or whatever it was. His interview on the same subject a few days later with Darren Revell was much better. No idiocy.

Bob knew that Becker would take his foolishness with a laugh so he played the clown. Revell wouldn’t so he doesn’t. Becker’s an excellent guest. To bad McCown wrecked his segment.

Alex
Alex
October 22, 2011 11:43 pm

I must be the only person who regularly comments here that doesn’t hate Shannon. Maybe because I’m old now. Plus, I like it when he can bring in anecdotes from when he ran HNIC.

I would certainly rather have Shannon than Cox. There are days when Cox is co-host when I don’t even bother listening to the show if there are marginal guests/

October 23, 2011 12:06 am

I definitely think Shannon is a weak cohost on the show, but at the same time, sometimes the amount of hate he gets on here surprises me. I just find him kind of bland/uninteresting – but not aggravating or an instant tune out like Krystal became.

Mike – Humble and Fred on the roundtable is a great idea! Would love to hear that.

robg
robg
October 23, 2011 12:24 am

I’ll chime in. I don’t hate Shannon on PTS, however, I think he’s called on too much as a roundtable contributor. He could be utilized more effectively. By that, I mean the way McCown has Becker as a guest for legal issues, Rovell on business issues, etc. Shannon would be an excellent contributor regarding media related sports issues. The problem is Shannon is trying to carve a new career as a sports analyst on Sportsnet, and I think that he’s stretched his boundries too far. That being said, there are far worse guests/contributors then Shannon.

Ami Angelwings
October 23, 2011 3:41 am

Is it true what Shannon said on Friday? He said “I’m actually always booked here on Fridays.” Does that mean we can expect Shannon on EVERY roundtable from now on!? That means every other week we’re guaranteed a Cox + Shannon team-up O_O

*horrified*