GTHL Should Worry About It’s Own House First

You all know little TSM plays hockey in the GTHL. So, while I am fortunate enough to have a kid in the system, I’m also unfortunately a party to many and I mean many of the short comings and areas of improvement for the GTHL. So, I will tell you that I nearly chocked as I read the leagues’ head hauncho moaning about the Toronto Maple Leafs not having any GTHL alum on the team. What a total joke!

The youth hockey program that these guys is one that someone with a much more powerful voice than I needs to shine a light on.

This is not a program for the kids in any way shape or form.

Teams are paying coaches big bucks. Parents buy their way on to teams where they have no business playing but hey their money is good.

Do I dare start talking about the officiating?

““We suffer through it,” said Gardner. “The team’s half American now, not that I’m trying to distinguish between the Canadian hockey player and American. But is there something wrong with our system?”

Are you kidding me?

Not that one thing has anything to do with another but good god, look in the mirror before you make that point. There’s a ton wrong with the system. Try making it about the kids and not the administrators. Try fixing that. Try allowing kids to play where they want, instead of having to buy their releases.

Personally, I don’t care where the hell the leafs players played their youth hockey. When, and I mean when, not if, when they finally win a cup I don’t think anyone will give a flying you know what where any of the players are from.

No toronto based players on the Leafs is as much about the spread of hockey globally than anything else. For the GTHL to be whining about it and asking if there’s anything wrong with the league is a total joke. Don’t believe me? Go to a GTHL game, and talk to a few of the normal parents. They are likely the ones in the rink, not outside it chain-smoking until the second before the puck drops. Take a look around. You’ll get it in about 5 minutes.

steve
steve
October 22, 2011 8:41 am

I had both boys come up through the system. In my opinion it is little about development and all about status. There are too many AAA, AA teams — kids and their parents have unrealistic expectations about their futures and in the end, few make it anywhere.

Drop AAA teams to 8, add another 12-16 AAA teams and let the rest compete at levels where they should be…rather than where they think they should be or can afford to be.

kyle
kyle
October 22, 2011 11:34 am

My kids don’t play hockey, and the more I hear about it the more I want to keep them out.

the whole deal with the number of toronto/gthl kids on the leafs is ridiculous. the story says there are 45 players from the region, so that’s 1 1/2 on average per team. that’s not a lot. then throw in the whole draft concept, where they did not have the choice about a guy like Tavares.

and they have three guys – Caputi, Zigomanis and Blacker – but they’re not good enough! not the fault of the Leafs.

throw in numbers from 1992 (when overall numbers of player origin were probably quite different) and it makes it more distorted.

Gardner is in the dark ages on this.

Basshat
Basshat
October 22, 2011 4:46 pm

“Kids are restricted where thy can play, they pretty much aren’t allowed an attempt to better themselves if a move to a team where they could play has an opening as opposed to not playing at all on a team in their league.”

You do realize that the GTHL is one of the few leagues where players even have the option of playing out of boundary, don’t you? If other leagues are over-represented in the NHL (based on population), and the option is play for the local association or don’t play at all, then how can this be a major detriment to development?

Player movement from year to year is mostly about deluded parents with visions of OHL/NCAA/NHL glory shuffling their kids around to find a higher level for them, even if it means playing on a last place team that has no business in that level. Meanwhile, the kids travel massive distances for each practice and rarely have any school or neighbourhood friends on their teams.

robinaurora
robinaurora
October 23, 2011 10:44 am

They mention Tavares Stamkos, etc – i am sure the Leafs would not pass up on a Rick Nash etc if they were to ever pick that high. The GTHL did a good job producing those players, Leafs couldn’t get their mitts on them by trying to make the playoffs for financial gain with Peddie in charge – They need a sports oriented person running MLSE, not another (very effeminate) bean counter with a consumer packaged goods background…

…My problem with the leafs with Burke in charge is that I believe he is willing to overpay to get any higher quality American on the team… (the Kessel trade comes to mind). He seems hell bent on loading up on Americans these days, which is good if the reason is that he has some inside info on them due to his work with US Hockey…But I hope it isn’t him favouring Americans at the expense of talent from anywhere else (ie:We all remember Mike Smith loading up on Europeans in Winnipeg – then they sucked badly – there has never been a truly Superstar American to lead a team to a cup or even close to one – I think Burke secretly wants that to happen here…at what cost?)…

October 23, 2011 4:08 pm

When Burke won the Cup in Anaheim in 2007 there were more Canadians on that team than any Cup winner in recent memory

Brian Leetch is American and he won the Conn Smythe trophy in 1994 when the Rangers won the Cup……………and another guy on that team who could have won that trophy is Mike Richter, who is also is American

Darrell
Darrell
October 23, 2011 4:09 pm

I can’t believe how ridiculous this story is gaining steam. The Leafs have not won for 45 years as we all know. I couldn’t care less of the Leaf player backgrounds and where they grew up. If they can score goals or stop pucks and top elite players – that’s all I care about. But honestly – should it really matter if there is not one single Torontonian on the Toronto Maple Leafs roster?!

Ants
Ants
January 11, 2012 2:42 pm

For Gardner it’s all about profit. The GTHL is a joke. Parents are afraid to complain to the powers at the GTHL for fear of reprisal. If you want hockey to improve in Toronto get rid of the GTHL and it’s corrupt management. Our son was part of a team where the team manager was stealing and the GTHL did nothing to resolve the issue. The team owner had his flunky try to smooth things over but in the end it’s theft. I haven’t even attemped to bring the referee’s into the conversation. They are by far the worse in the country. Rememebr that we should never give an under educated person a uniform and power. Can’t wait to see my son with Oakville next year………………..