Did The Red Sox Jump The Gun?

I don’t know how legit this is, but a reader passed along the following link, which looks pretty legit to me of a page on the Boston Red Sox website which claims to show Blue Jays Manager John Farrell. Now, it doesn’t say that he is with the Red Sox, but it is on their coaches page and it does have Farrell’s photo in a Jays uniform. The fact that they easily could have used an old stock photo of him from his Red Sox days and didn’t tells me that it’s a phony… But It looks otherwise legit. I couldn’t find the page on their website either….

So take it with a large grain of salt:

Adam Walker
October 25, 2011 9:10 pm
Adam Walker
October 25, 2011 9:19 pm

Nah, you’re not an idiot. Love your coverage, keep it up.
Adam

kyle
kyle
October 25, 2011 9:42 pm

looks like a flaw in mlb’s sites.

each coach is given his own id; change the root (team) site, and the team code (tor, phi, mil, nyy), and you can produce the same results.

Charlie Manuel:

hope he brings Doc back with him

Justin
Justin
October 25, 2011 9:44 pm

MLB stores all player and coach information in a central source. The MLB site, and all club sites (which are children of the parent site) access that central source to display team rosters. With the way they designed the site, you can ‘assign’ a team site skin independently of the player or coach in question.

Nothing malicious being done from either a technical standpoint or team tampering standpoint, but I would call it a bit of a design issue of MLB.

Justin
Justin
October 25, 2011 9:51 pm

hmm… I was trying to change the skin of a player, but can’t easily. So it looks like the player side of things is managed tighter than the coaches.

Capn2patch
Capn2patch
October 25, 2011 11:36 pm

Nothing like good ‘ole sucking up. Keep it up Adam :p

Ami Angelwings
October 26, 2011 3:52 am

There used to be a way to do that with TSN’s players pages (I dunno if you still can, maybe you still can!) and that was exploited to spread a rumour that somebody was traded to the Leafs or Raptors at one point if I recall. xD