Farrell, Farrell On The Wall

UPDATE from the Toronto Star:

“Due to the distraction caused by media speculation regarding our employee permission policy, the Toronto Blue Jays have amended their policy and will not grant permission for lateral moves.”

To quote Forest Gump, “and that’s all I have to say about that”

Greetings from Seattle.

Been a while since I’ve done one of these so, buckle up, it’s the Boston Red Sox taking John Farrell to Inspiration Point. Potsy and Malph are going to be pissed:

Richard Griffin:

“But even the mere rumour of the Red Sox interest in Farrell is a slap in the face for Jays fans. And why does Anthopoulos not already have his back up and squash the rumours early, denying the Sox permission before they even ask? It’s not an upward baseball move, manager to manager, which Anthopoulos encourages for any of his employees pursuing the chance of bettering themselves. This is a parallel move, unless you believe the Sox and Yankees operate in a higher league. They believe.

The Jays talk boldly about competing for the playoffs in the near-future, yet allow themselves to be treated as the farm team, the development centre of the AL East’s big boys. I thought they were serious in fighting that belief, but this Farrell loss would be a step backwards.”

Griffin at least lets us know how he feels, right? It’s funny how we in Toronto are made out to feel like second class citizens in one sport, baseball, but we are the elitists in hockey right? (why would JT want to stay in Long Island and not sign in Toronto?)

Jeff Blair:

““They (the Red Sox) haven’t approached us, so I don’t want to comment beyond that because it’s hypothetical.”

Or you could say, we are going to tell the Red Sox to go to hell right?

Michael Grange:

“If the Boston Red Sox are serious about making a run at John Farrell, the Blue Jays should tell them the bidding begins at a couple of buckets of KFC, a case of Rolling Rock and the latest version of Call of Duty. Then general manager Alex Anthopoulos should get all Clint Eastwood over the phone and tell the Red Sox: “You obnoxious, sun-shines-out-of-your-behinds New England clam chowders. Go stuff yourself.””

See, I wouldn’t go there, I do admit it’s funny, but I would say the price is HUGE, I mean something they wouldn’t dream of paying. I don’t know all the red sox players and prospects, but let’s just say I would ask for the cupboards to be emptied. Honestly, if the Jays could get all and I mean all the red sox top level, stud prospects it’s wouldn’t be worth it? Everyone has a price, Farrell is no exception. Am I alone in this?

Steve Simmons:

“What is best for the Blue Jays right now, for the team and for their fans, is for Farrell to come clean. For there to be complete clarity on his situation. Is he staying or is he going? Is he in or is he out? Did he drive or did he fly? And if he wants out, if he wants the Red Sox job, if he is even having second thoughts about the Jays job, if he doesn’t want to be with the young, eventually emerging Blue Jays, there’s the door.

Bah-bye.”

Amen! I am so with that. It’s either your in or your out. If your out, get the kings ransom and move on.

I overheard this conversation the other day on the streets of Toronto:

person 1: I was listening to Mike Hogan and so and so talking Argo’s football the other day….
person 2: you were the one?

Happy Tuesday!

Sam in Oshawa
October 25, 2011 7:39 am

Maybe Farrell was not the right guy from the get go.A way out might have dropped into AA’s lap from the baseball gods.Good-bye John…

John in Milton
John in Milton
October 25, 2011 9:39 am

Great post TSM. Totally agree and I love this site.

October 25, 2011 3:34 pm

If anything, this whole episode will raise Farrell’s profile. Kind of a ‘if the Red Sox wanted him, he must be good’ kind of thing.

To be honest, I found his ingame decisions to be frustrating sometimes, but I think he did improve as the year went on. But, there are clearly intangibles in player managing, and perhaps that’s why people in the Red Sox loved him so much. There were a few ‘this whole chicken and beer thing wouldn’t have happened if Farrell was still here’ quotes floating around the Red Sox media.

Also – for what it’s worth – he comes across as incredibly thoughtful, articulate and intelligent in interviews.

I’m glad the story can be put to rest now. I don’t think it would have crippled the Jays to lose Farrell by any means, but the optics would have been really bad.

Capn2patch
Capn2patch
October 25, 2011 7:16 pm

I feel the same way TSM, there is a price for almost anything. AA & PB didn’t block Farrell from moving to the Sox today, they just put a price on it.

Which is fair.

I don’t get all this talk that the Farrell thing is over now maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. It just depends on how much the Sox are willing to pay to get Farrell back in the fold and instill some confidence in the Boston paying public.

Was listening to Bob Ryan from the Boston Globe on PTS tonight and one thing he said that just brought it home for me was when he said (paraphrasing) that it made so much sense on many levels for Farrell to manage the Sox.

They believe in this guy.

We’ll see.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
October 25, 2011 7:20 pm

I guess I fall in the category of Grange a bit, I would of asked for some really good talent from Boston (Rogers would probably just want cash) and already have made sure I had Francona in the hip pocket.

Watch how motivated Francona (who spent quite a few years with Expos) would have been to see the Jays do well.

Afterall for this to be a story Farrell would have to want to leave, and if he wants to leave he is of no value here.

lagerandale
lagerandale
October 25, 2011 7:27 pm

The Bobcat had AA on at the top of his show and all he asked him about was the change in policy. To me the only relevant questions were “Have the Sox approached you about Farrell” and “Have you spoken to Farrell and what’s his position?” Very weak interview.

DC
DC
October 25, 2011 9:46 pm

AA has already stated numerous times, several times today in fact, let alone in the past, that he wasn’t going to comment on specific employees. I knew that, Bob knew that, and anyone who’s been following the Jays over AA’s tenure, should know that. For Bob to ask specific questions about Farrell would bring about, a predictable “no comment” from AA and would be a waste of my time and yours.

Ami Angelwings
October 26, 2011 4:03 am

It’s a moot point now, but I think there’s a difference between “If you would let me leave, I wouldn’t mind taking that job” and “I want out now.” And just b/c Farrell would accept the job if the Jays let him go, doesn’t necessarily mean he’s unhappy and would chafe or “not want to be here” if you kept him to his contract, so refusing to let him go wouldn’t necessarily mean that you now have a manager “who doesn’t want to be here”. We shouldn’t assume that managers are as immature as a 20 something NBA or NHL player. 🙂 (I know everybody’s prolly thinking of certain managers right now, and I know some might be pretty immature, but Farrell does not seem like one of them)

Sam in Oshawa
October 26, 2011 4:29 pm

Refer back to this post in the future,JF is gone compesation to be worked out…