Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

Finally, the debut of Tim Connolly. Unfortunately, no Reimer.

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet Radio 590 the FAN tonight, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown from 4-7pm. McCown’s co-host from 5 to 7 is Stephen Brunt.

4:00 Doug MacLean, Sportsnet
5:00 Buddy Nix, Bills GM
5:20 Brian Burke, Leafs President and GM
5:40 Jamie Campbell, Sportsnet
6:00 Bryan Colangelo, Raptors President and GM
6:20 David Staples, Edmonton Journal
6:40 Bob Nicholson, Hockey Canada President

On TSN Radio 1050, Cybulski and Co., with James Cybulski, from 4-7pm.

4:30 – James Duthie – Host of NHL on TSN
4:45 – Bob McKenzie – TSN Hockey Insider
5:15 – Bruce Smith – Buffalo Bills Legend
5:30 – Ed Stefanski – Raptors new VP of Basketball Operations
6:00 – Countdown to Faceoff (Leafs@Rangers Pregame)
Guests include Darren Dreger, Gord Miller, Steve Simmons and Rangers broadcaster Dave Maloney.

Tonight on Sportsline:

Will the Rangers wrap up the World Series, are the Habs & Max Pacioretty seeking revenge tonight in Boston, were the Bills right to speak out about playing in Toronto and are the Jays interested in signing David Ortiz? Join Mark Hebscher and Bubba O’Neil tonight at 7 on CHCH.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 15
  • comment-avatar
    Steve in Waterloo 8 years ago

McCowan, on PTS, opined about how talking about the CFL, and the Argos, was pretty much a sure way to lose listeners and ratings.

He talked about how he can push the limits, and that usually listeners will come back. But, he worries that there is so much apathy to the Argos and the CFL in general in Toronto, that he won’t bring the subject up, or schedule too many guests.

Doesn’t bode well for TSN radio, your CFL station.

• comment-avatar

With all due respect to Argos fans, TSN Radio’s decision to push Argo coverage as hard as they have was a terrible misread of this market.

Gerry (Burlington) 8 years ago

@Daniel, I think it is critical for TSN to secure Leafs Hockey rights. Basketball and CFL radio rights are nothing but fill when it comes to winning ratings in the GTA (in my opinion). Because TSN TV does well with CFL and because they have the rights to CFL (Argos) in this market I suppose they have to push it, but agree they have gone overboard.

I find McCowan’s comments on Argos slightly disingenuous. He has always enjoyed having Barker on his show. While yes the Argos are becoming an afterthought (especially this point in season) I think that is more Bob taking a shot at TSN. Next year when the CFL is starting up, Bob will have Barker on alot again.

• comment-avatar

It curious to hear that he said that, considering how often and loudly he proclaims his admiration for the pace and style of game it is over the NFL. I suspect it’s more a shot at the Argos and their inept play of the past two decades than a CFL shot in general.

As for TSN and their CFL coverage, it’s the same as Robbers and their Jays coverage. When it’s your property, on your stations, across multiple platforms, you run with it hard, regardless of the success of the team, there’s no reason to hurt your own product.

The Jays were 11 games out a week after the All Star Game, but 590 opened every update with a Jays story, a story thart would get zero coverage in any other market.

Steve from Waterloo 8 years ago

Speaking of “when it’s your property, on your stations…you run with it…”

Heard on TSN Radio this AM (only for a moments as I changed the channel quickly) was Rod Black discussing figure skating.

Figure skating, on a “all sports channel”.

• comment-avatar

“As for TSN and their CFL coverage, it’s the same as Robbers and their Jays coverage”

I think your hatred of all things Rogers is clouding your judgment on that. The Jays have their issues, but they’re still relevant in the marketplace. I’d say they get an appropriate amount of coverage on The Fan. I mean, really who talks much about them? Blair and McCown do in depth segments – and they both do plenty of other stuff too. The rest of the day is super hockey heavy. If you consider that the Jays are probably the #2 team in the city, well behind Leafs nation, it seems pretty appropriate to me.

The Argos on the otherhand, appear to not be relevant in the marketplace anymore, unfortunately. I mean, if you were to rank where the teams sit here I honestly think they might be a #5 behind TFC now (that’s arguable, but regardless, they’re not really on the map at the moment).

• comment-avatar

I see what you’re saying though. They want to push their TV properties on radio. It’s just that the difference is it that the Fan’s baseball coverage seems more in-tune with fan interest than TSN Radio’s CFL coverage.

Sam in Scarb 8 years ago

Ahh…If Bob is concerned about people tuning out when “Argo talk”is on. Then he should be shakkin’ in his trousers when he has Mr.Magoo (shannon) on…I am only guessing ,but maybe thousands are tuning out when FOB Magoo is on???

Mike S 8 years ago

Brady and Lang have debated TFC versus Argos for many weeks now………….Brady says TFC is the #4 team in Toronto and Land thinks that it is the Argos

McCown was much more positive about the Argos and the CFL when his buddies owned the team…………he was even a member of the 2007 Grey Cup committee…………now that those owners are out of the picture (along with Pelley and to a lesser extent Pinball) I am not all that surprised that McCown has soured on the team

mike (in boston) 8 years ago

let’s have this discussion again when the Argos field a better than average team. In a city this big, the Argos need to be frontrunners to grab headlines. Anything less than that and they will be buried. They need to force the issue to get people to talk about them, and that’s what seems strange about TSN’s indulgence of all things CFL … it’s completely unmotivated by the market.

I’d put the Argos ahead of the lacrosse team but definitely behind the soccer team in terms of general interest. the soccer team brings David Beckham to town every now and then.

also, i disagree with Chef Mike — in the summer, every town’s baseball team is going to get top billing regardless of their W-L record. that’s not a Rogers thing.

• comment-avatar

I wonder if barker weekly appearance was a paid spot.

And it seems like pts fazed out Belli in re ent weeks. (A plus for me)

• comment-avatar

I think the saddest thing we both can agree on is that the #1 team in this market hasn’t played for a CUP in 45 years and and the 2nd place team in this market has missed the playoffs for 18 straight years. Say it out loud and it sounds even worse…

Daniel, I don’t hate all things Robbers, I just switched my home phone to a Rogers cell line, but yes, I hate how they treat this team and this city.

I don’t demand they win every year, that’s not reasonable, even if you are George Stienbrenner, and I don’t want them to spend $200M a year either. History shows that doesn’t work, all I want simply want them to do is compete, and they’re not even trying.

-20th highest payroll in the 5th biggest NA market…not trying
    -$63M in the American League East…not trying
    – AA telling BobCat that the team will not be active in the free agent market, again, before the playoffs start…not trying
    -each team gets $80M in TV money from MLB at the start of the season, they spend $63M and pocket the rest…not trying
    -they use the AL East as a scapegoat to why they can’t compete, BUT then raise the ticket prices 25% when those teams bring their stars to their yard and screw their own fans again….hypicritcal, and not trying
    -AA trying to grow playing MONEYBALL in 2010, something every other team has done for 10 years already.

Losing is one thing, but not even trying is a completely different matter, and Robbers has made it clear that it has ZERO interest in winning, and that i hate.

Gerry (Burlington) 8 years ago

@Chef, all very good points. This is a big off-season for the Jays to show fans if they are going to improve roster, or just keep waiting for prospects to hopefully turn into impact players.

mike (in boston) 8 years ago

well argued Chef Mike – the biggest con job Rogers/the Jays have pulled is convincing people that they need to save money to “go for it” when the time is right. Rogers should be at $100 million in payroll every year.

• comment-avatar

I don’t even care if they spend 100M a year, every year, as long as they are doing with a plan to make the post season. I don’t even care if they win the WS again, but just be relavant in August. The fanbase willl forgive a decade of failure with only one playoff appearance but we are rapidly getting to 2 decades and looking at their 45% attendance, its not just me.

I’ve been vocal about Robbers and their ownership of the Jays for one very simple reason. As a fan, I want my team and its ownership to value winning, at least as much as their fanbase does, and in their 5 years as team owners, Rogers has shown ZERO interest in doing that, despite having virtually unlimited funds at their disposal.

Are folks aware that Yankee Global Enterprises (according to Forbes Magazine) the company that wholly owns the New York Yankees has UNDER $2 BILLION in gross SALES last year, but Rogers had $3BILLION in profits??. There are huge resources at Robbers disposal, well beyond those of the NY Yankees, they simply choose to go in a different direction, and now I do the same thing when it comes to their team, I to go in a different direction.