Another One Bites The Globe?

Another One Bites The Globe?

By TSM

Hey is that you the last standing sports writer at the Globe and Mail?

The ever revolving door at the Globe continues as Matt Sekeres bolts for the radio waves of the team 1040. With all the talent they have lost over the months you could start a pretty damn good sports department. I like Sekeres the writer, and can’t claim to have any experience listening to him on the radio.

What was once a very impressive lineup of sports writers is dwindling and quickly. Who will be next to go????

Speaking of former Globe writers, the Michael Grange/Jeff Blair show is about to become just the Jeff Blair show again. No, this isn’t a reflection of anything performance based. I am told by several peeps that this was always the plan.

What, you all ask me of late, do I think of the change at late night on the fan. Rumack is now once again the sole late night guy while Sammut moves to early nights. Sounds good to me while there is no NBA. From the outside it looks like Sammut is going to have some free time on his hands should the NBA get a deal done in time to play any basketball.

Speaking of basketball, hope you all gave a nice welcome back to my man Dan who has returned to TSM after a stint writing elsewhere. He wrote the piece of NBA lockout coverage. He’s a great writer who’s going to be helping out keeping things moving here.

Also on basketball, wonder what happens at the fan to the basketball guys when Tim and Sid start (late November or early December) and there is no basketball. That’s an over crowded bench.

This isn’t sports media related, but for those who read the Toronto dailies it’s been quite funny to watch the Toronto war on the CBC. Personally, it’s a lot like the last Ontario premier election; no one cares.

Questions to ponder for the weekend:

If you were starting a Toronto based sports media outlet, an all sports radio station

On the talent side, you can hire any Toronto media personality, who would be your hires and why?

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 22
  • comment-avatar

#1 pick would definitely be arthur for afternopn drive.

Smart, witty, pop culturevand tech saavy.

• comment-avatar
    Synon 9 years ago

9-12: Tim and Sid (Uncut once again)
    1-4: Bruce Arthur and Elliotte Friedman (Stretch to call Friedge a Toronto sports personality exclusively, but whatever)
    4-7: Bobcat and Brunt

Don’t particularly care who goes on in the early morning or late night. Would like Steve Kouleas and Kipper on the hockey show, whenever it has to be put on.

robinaurora 9 years ago

1) Onrait and O’toole

(Not Bob McCown. I would position someone younger against him and persue a younger audience. His cranky sh(tick) is wearing out.)

Interesting about Grange.

I like him, and I think their pairing has potential, but I do think it wasn’t quite right. Grange is very smart, but weak on broadcasting skills so I think he’d need to be paired with someone a bit more ‘broadcastery’ than Blair.

Funnily enough I actually think Blair is better on his own, which is weird, because I think hosts usually benefit from a cohost.

I wouldn’t mind it if Grange went back to being the #3 PTS cohost instead of Shannon.

TSM – why would Grange only cohosting for this short period of time be ‘part of the plan’. Just to try him out?

Raptors Devotee 9 years ago

Arthur all the way. He is incredibly witty, topical, knowledgeable and has a wicked dry sense of humour that translates extremely well on the radio and which I enjoy immensely following him on Twitter.

Bruce could write his ticket in the States on any media platform, an don’t think he has not been lured with multiple attractive offers. Fortunately, he has no desire to work and live in the States an his current renovation of his home here speaks to that.

• comment-avatar

I differ somewhat in my assessment of Bruce Arthur. I think he is good as a segment guest, but I don’t think he has the capacity to be a full-time host/co-host. I find his delivery to be flat and lacking emotion, his opinions totally predictable and generally lacking any real humor or sophistication.

His ubiquitous presence on Twitter is also strange, in my opinion. His tweets are maudlin and have the general feel of “I know best”.

Just my 2 cents.

mike (in boston) 9 years ago

I am told by several peeps that this was always the plan.

this doesn’t pass the sniff test. either he flunked out of PTS, or he was put on PTS to build a profile to be Blair’s co-host. if neither of those are true then why was he removed form PTS and given 2 months with Blair only to be moved again?

given the profile of your site TSM, i could imagine certain “peeps” trying to get you to put a positive spin on this.

• comment-avatar

I kinda like the way Sportsnet Fan 590 has things set up now…but I’d like to add Arthur back with Bob and Brunt. If this were a league where coming in last gave you first round pick the next year, who would you include in your line-up?

Morning Show: Andrew Krystal
    Waters
    Faraway
    Al Strachan
    Hebsie
    Drive Home: Shannon (solo)

mike (in boston) 9 years ago

LT67 gets my nomination for funniest post of the week. my only quibble would be that any losing line-up has to include Faulds. As hard as it is to believe, Faulds and Shannon actually co-hosted PTS last summer …

• comment-avatar

I’m really liking Hayes’ segments with Ferraro. Ferraro has some really good stories.

PS my vote for stealth morning show: Lumby/Shannon

Sam in Scarb 9 years ago

Shannon 6AM-Noon
    Blair/Mallard Noon-1PM
    Shannon 1PM-6PM

• comment-avatar

Huge fan of Stormin Norman’s… glad hes back getting more shifts at Sporstnet 590 The Fan…. Jeff Sammut is good to hes better then Roger Lajoie or Doug Farraway… Good fit for evenings….. They really need to bring in Jeff Marek to co host with Nick Kypreos ONLY on HockeyCentral At Noon and RELEASE Doug MacLean! hes garbage……

Bryan Hayes is a good listen over on TSN Radio 1050. Anyone else think TSN’s hockey insiders are better then the ones The Fan offers aside from Kypreos?

Dave in Bolton 9 years ago

TSN 1050 line up if I were in charge

5:30 – 9 – the Darren Dutchyshen show
    9 – 12 – the Dan Patrick show
    12 – 1 – Insider Trading with Cybulski, McKenzie, Dreger and LeBrun
    1 – 4 – Onrait and O’toole
    4 – 7 – the Bria Hayes Show
    7 – 11 – Game Night with Mike Hogan
    11 pm – Late Night’s with Mike Richards

• comment-avatar

Dave In Bolton…. your lineup sounds awesome!!! Dutchie is great on the radio… maybe even add a veteran TSN guy like Vic Rauter as a co host to Dutchie’s show. Rauter is funny on the radio and back in the day when he and Mike Hogan would do The Bullpen on the old Fan he was pretty funny… Richards on nights would be a good fit…. I know I would listen to the Insider Trading show with Cybulski and the Hockey Insiders over what The Fan currently offers during that time!

mike (in boston) 9 years ago

i have no nominations for best interview of the week, but i do have a nominee for funniest moment in an interview. Cybulski was interviewing the new Raptors VP Ed Stefanski, the former GM of New Jersey who acquired Vince Carter from the Raptors:

Cybulski: “do you think Rob Babcock was drunk when he traded with you?”

another interesting moment came from Bob during his interview with Jerry Sullivan — one of the most well spoken guests on PTS. Bob surmised that Rogers paid $80 million for the Bills in Toronto, and that $70 million of that will remain a loss. If that’s true then it’s hard to imagine Rogers renewing for another 5 years.

• comment-avatar

o_O I actually can listen to the JB show now that they have Grange. Blair’s voice hurts my ears and if he’s just talking to himself he has even less emotion than usual and his monotone breaks my ear drums 🙁 I like having Grange to break things up, and Grange is super smart and I think Blair is better having somebody to bounce stuff off and to respond to than just always monologuing or yelling at callers (although I usually support his yellings xD )

Hmm…. ideal radio show…

I’m prolly the only one who wants more Wilner, and not even for baseball xD I’d love to hear a Wilner morning show, and I don’t even think he’d necessarily need a co-host! Though, if he did that he couldn’t do Jays Talk during the season because he wouldn’t be getting enough sleep. :\

Who would I hire? Bruce Arthur for sure. I actually like Eric Smith, so I’d keep him around (or hire him, if I’m not automatically the FAN590). I wish I knew more about ppl who used to work in sports radio in Toronto… :\

Are we talking only hosts or can we talk about who we’d want to be the regular guests to talk about specific topics? Cuz then, I’d take Dan Shulman 100 times out of 100 over Ashby, Zaun or Martinez. I like Ashby, but I like Shulman more xD I don’t like Zaun or Martinez.

Friedman would be superior to most of the hockey guys they have now, and I think I’d try him with Brady on Hockey Central. (like Wilner, I’m pretty sure I’m the only one who likes Brady too xD )

Oh and I’d hire Mary Orsmby too! 😀 I like her… I know nobody else does xD But I do, and I would like to try her with Bruce Arthur….

You can throw stuff at me now. xD

*Ormsby -_-

Oh and Dave Perkins would be intriguing too! Perkins, Brady and Friedman on Hockey Central would make me happier than The Goon, Angrypants and The Duck xD I know that two of those have “insider” knowledge but that’s why god invented guests right? xD

• comment-avatar

I just had a crazy idea XD It’s so counter intuitive that I think it’d work! As Bob’s secondary co-host when Brunt isn’t around (b/c neither Shannon nor Cox are options to me)…. Eric Smith! 😀

I know I know… but I really liked their chemistry when they interviewed Leo Rautins, and whenever I’ve heard them chat, I think they do pretty well, and Eric Smith knows how to play second fiddle, though he’s different than Brunt. He also is able to focus on just analysis of things rather than wanting to make it all about him like Cox and I think, importantly, he sounds interested in a variety of topics, and I think that’s important on PTS, esp with working with Bob. If Bob is talking about horse racing, or golf, you have to be able to join in or offer stuff up for Bob to feed on, rather than just sound like you’re constantly rolling your eyes like Cox. Also Smith isn’t that old, and we need some of that.

Chorus: You’re right. That IS crazy.

XD

Okay so my thing would go like this:

5:30 – 9:00 – The Morning Show with Mike Wilner (you could even have his brother on during slow days!)
    9:00 – 12:00 – The Mid-Morning Show with Bruce Arthur and Mary Ormsby
    12:00 – 13:00 – Hockey Central at Noon with Dave Perkins, Greg Brady and Elliot Friedman
    13:00-16:00 – I haven’t figured this out yet, but Brady and Friedman might make a good afternoon show too
    16:00-19:00 – Primetime Sports with Bob McCown and Stephen Brunt/Eric Smith
    And after that, I’d keep Sammut on late nights (cuz Sammut is servicable and I’m not particularly caring about late night)

I realized I forgot about Blair and Grange. Maybe they do 13-16… I think Blair would work doing Sports Central whenever it’s needed after PTS… but I dunno if he’d go for that cuz I wonder if he wants to be going home so late… and it’s not like it’s a glamorous gig xD

But this is all my fantasy neways right? xD And I’m pretty sure I have the unanimous worst line up and taste of everybody here xD (except for my vote… I think it’s awesome )

I’m imagining Blair replacing Wilner as host of Jays Talk now and laughing my brains out xD If the callers hated Wilner… >_>

Justin 9 years ago

My likes:

Arthur
    Blair
    McCown
    Brunt
    McKenzie
    Grange
    Hayes

Dislikes:
    Richards
    Lang
    Shannon
    Mallard
    McLean
    Kypreos

MAGGIO 9 years ago

5:30-9am Jeff Marek & Darren Dreger
    9am-12pm Gord Stellick & Howard Berger
    12pm-1pm Kypreos McLean & Millard
    1pm-4pm Millard & Healey
    4pm-7pm McCown Watters Brunt Kypreos Ziesberger Shoalts
    7pm-11pm Roger Lajoie
    11pm- Overnight Norm Rumack

The best chemistry McCown ever had was with Bill Watters.

Adios: Greg Brady, Shannon, Cox, Faulds, Barb, Blair, Smith, Vito, Lang, Tim and Sid.

Okay, I changed my mind. I want Brady gone. >:O

• comment-avatar

If I missed it i apologize but why has nobody mentioned Greg Sansone? I find him very intelligent, humorous and relate-able, I think he would be a great addition to either station.