Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown from 4-7pm. Damien Cox co-hosts from 5-7pm

4:00 Paul Jones In Studio
4:20 Darren Rovell, CNBC
5:20 Keith Pelley, President Of Rogers Media
6:00 Don Banks, SI
6:20 Steve Tambellini, Oilers GM
6:40 Buck Martinez, Sportsnet

On TSN Radio 1050, Cybulski & Co. from 4-7pm.

4:45 – Eustace King – Agent for Raffi Torres
5:15 – Bob McKenzie – TSN Hockey Insider
5:30 – Milt Stegall – TSN CFL Analyst & Rob Murphy – Toronto Argos O-Lineman
6:00 – Darren Dreger – TSN Hockey Insider
6:15 – Herm Edwards – ESPN Football Analyst

Tonight on Sportsline:

TBA

October 31, 2011 4:59 pm

Nice show from Hayes today……………Shulman in studio for an hour…………….then a steady diet of insiders like Ferraro & Florio & LeBrun & Naylor………….I seem to listen quite a bit more to 1050 in early afternoon than 590 but that might change slightly when Tim & Sid begin their new show

Darren
Darren
October 31, 2011 6:40 pm

Words cannot describe how much I HATE Damien Cox, how in the world has this clown kept this gig on Sportsnet with all the changes?

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
October 31, 2011 6:47 pm

glad Cox went to Rogers and not TSN their better off without him. TSN will never off him a contract hope he’s ready to get screwed by Rogers

Darren
Darren
October 31, 2011 6:51 pm

From your mouth to Rogers ears Dave, what an early Christmas gift that would be to all ears out there. One just has to wonder if he realizes how much he irks people, I mean ya there are lots of Radio and TV personalities out there that people don’t like or just don’t have an opinion on but this guy is more than likely hated in his own house!

Synon
Synon
October 31, 2011 7:28 pm

For the record, I’d rather have Damien than Grange or Shannon. Not that that is saying much, since Brunt should be in every week, but I appreciate what I have by thinking of the alternatives.

d.
d.
October 31, 2011 10:18 pm

I’m fairly certain Damien Cox knows the extent to which he irks people. He’s made a pretty good living for himself by being a turd. Well, basically, he’s a troll. He finds out what really grates on people, then offers up incredibly short sighted, wildly mis-informed, ‘contrarian’ viewpoints to egg people on. It’s an embarrassment that Rogers employs the goon. Though admittedly it gets entertaining when well reasoned folks, who actually have facts to back their positions, call him out. Cox gets all high & mighty, dishes lame ass insults & on twitter – ducks arguments & blocks people who don’t agree with him.

Greg Brady is also somewhat of a troll but in a way that’s far less obvious & offensive. Brady will gladly debate with you in a reasonable way & often has some basis for what he’s saying. And to his credit he doesn’t turtle like Cox.

Steve-O
October 31, 2011 10:35 pm

I find myself longing for the NBA lockout to end so Paul Jones can focus on play by play again. He does nothing for me as a radio host. No doubt he knows his hoops, but can’t carry the mail on other sports

While I’m at it, I love the Fan but is it in the hosts contract to not ask a simple question? I swear some of these guys go on for a minute or two before asking a question

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
October 31, 2011 11:20 pm

Another Steve
Another Steve
October 31, 2011 11:31 pm

Cox is ok.

November 1, 2011 12:44 am

“im still pretty pissed how Cox left TSN at the Alter before bolting for Rogers. shows what kind of a man he is. what a puke”

Why would him working for Bell/TSN or Rogers reflect anything about him as a person? What do you know about the negotations/deal?

I think you’re reading too much into things. If you or I were in that position we would take the best offer. I’m sure that’s what he did.

Silly.

Darren
Darren
November 1, 2011 12:51 am

How many accounts does Cox have on this website? LOL

November 1, 2011 1:08 am

I don’t particularly like Cox all that much – but I’m not sure there’s anyone in the industry I’d say I ‘HATE’ or think is a bad person based on the job they do talking about sports. Seems a bit much to me.

But yeah, I’m probably a plant!

November 1, 2011 1:17 am

Mike S – I missed Shulman on Hayes. I definitely miss hearing him and Keith Law on PTS (although I think Johan Keri is very good).

I think Hayes is pretty good, definitely better than Eric Smith (though I’m looking forward to Tim/Sid). I’m surprised he has done so poorly in ratings. Wonder if that will change.

Rome
Rome
November 1, 2011 4:46 am

Hayes is a guy that gets constant love here but doesn’t translate to ratings. They switch him around from morning to afternoon and poor ratings just seem to follow.

Surprised more people aren’t talking about the first hour when nothing was talked about. They were talking about cleaning out the basement and McCown favorite boxing quotes. Up next comes Rovell who I normally like but then seemed like a couple of minute of stuff to talk about and filler witht the rest.

I was listening much more to Cybulski that first hour. At least they had topical topic like Raffi situation.

Sam
Sam
November 1, 2011 7:29 am

To add my two cents:

Cox has become practically unlistenable as detailed above. I think he’s aware of the approach he’s taking – its the lazy mans sports radio – just argue the opposite with everything. I think he could change in a second if he were told to do so. Are radio hosts contracts guaranteed?

I liken Cox’s unlistenability to McLeans’ interrupting / yelling over Mallard. He knows he’s doing it, its his approach, and he could be told to stop doing it.
Agree with a point made in the comments of another column that Cybulski is quite listenable when he doesn’t have a sidekick(s). I like Macko a lot better on Radio 2 mornings.

November 1, 2011 8:52 am

Cox is a known quantity at this point:

lousy journalist (see the Bautista story as well as the numerous undeclared conflicts of interest)
lousy radio host (see the lazy contrarianism)
lousy person (see his Twitter feed)

I think a lot of people like Hayes because he is a refreshing change in terms of his personality. Hosts range from being complete suck ups/nice guys on the one extreme to being aggressive loudmouths on the other. Hayes is pretty much down the middle, and relies on the strength of his opinions to generate interest. I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes a while for his numbers to really grow.

That said, he needs to shut up about his Twitter feed.

Darren
Darren
November 1, 2011 6:15 pm

Looking back on my original comment of ‘Hating” Damien Cox, I want to apologize for that, it was very immature. Not sure if he reads this site but if so I just wanted to make that clear. Although I strongly disagree with 90% of his opinions and 100% in which he delivers them I do find myself NOT turning the channel which in and of itself says something.