Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady To Talk Toronto Raptors On OTR Thursday

By Dan Levine

Michael Landsberg has scored a pretty interesting trio for tomorrow, as TSN’s Tim Chisolm blogs:

“On Thursday, former Raptors Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady will be joining TSN’s Michael Landsberg on Off The Record to discuss, amongst other things, the question that has plagued Raptors fans for over a decade: what could have been?

The Carter/McGrady era was very short in Toronto – only two seasons – but not only did it precede the most successful era in Raptors history but it also created the single greatest ‘what if?’ scenario the team has ever known. What if McGrady had re-upped with Toronto in 2000 instead of heading down to Orlando? What might have been if those two players spent their prime years together in Raptors purple? It’s a question that haunts Raptors fans to this day, eleven years after McGrady left, and one that has come to define the Raptors organization in more ways than one.”

Of course, you might need TiVo, or PVR, or whatever it is you use to record television, because this airs at 5 p.m, though some of you can also catch it at 6:30 on TSN2. Either way, I’m intrigued.

And Trio, you ask? TSN’s site also has badass and former Raptor Charles Oakley appearing on the program, which should make for some pretty good quotes and potentially awkward Vince moments. Remember, Oak was never shy about lighting a fire under Carter in any situation. Remember the 2001 playoffs, when he questioned Vince’s performance? From CBC Sports, back in the day:

“You can’t shy away from it now,” Oakley told reporters Tuesday following the Raptors’ practice.

“This is the time you have to step up and be a man about it. When they made the Dream Team, he went, all 12 of us didn’t go. When they do commercials, we don’t go, he goes.”

If you recall, that situation even involved some trash talk from Carter’s mom, while the Raptors eventually made it within a Vince-shot of the conference finals. All these years later, how will those two look back on their time together? The same can be said about Carter and McGrady, who had incredible on-court chemistry, yet never enjoyed equal billing in Toronto.

It didn’t last long, but there were plenty of good moments in those years. How do you remember McGrady, Carter and Oakley, and the turn-of-the-century Raptors in general? How high could the McGrady-Carter team have climbed, considering the injuries that plagued both stars throughout their respective careers? And will you be watching (or recording) tomorrow?

Shawn
Shawn
November 2, 2011 4:50 pm

Can’t stand Vince because he literally quit on the Raptors after signing a massive contract. Still intrigued to watch this OTR.

dave in bolton
dave in bolton
November 2, 2011 5:32 pm

lol why would I want to hear what these two sell out have to say? no need to hear their spin

Chris
Chris
November 2, 2011 5:50 pm

I’d like to hear Vince address the so-called lie Tanenbaum told him, which is allegedly one of the major reasons Vince wanted out so bad.

Could care less about McGrady or what he has to say.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
November 2, 2011 6:06 pm

It is amazing to me how time heals wounds. Works in life, also works in sports. Yes, I admit I was upset to put it mildly when Carter quit on the team, but over time looking back at it as objectively as I could, he was by far the most exciting player in his prime that this city has ever seen.

I still remember taking a client to the ACC, pre-season game in Vince’s rookie season, and was blown away to see him explode to the rim and provide multiple facials in the game. After that I was hooked, and became the Raptors Devotee after that.

McGrady wasn’t here long enough and did not become the superstar he became in Orlando with us, and I never understood the boos for him, as he left completely within his rights to do so.

Believe me, compared to the crappy basketball we have to put up today with the Raptors, those days I can’t help but look fondly back at. It wasn’t just Carter, but the veteran SOB’s on the team that gave us a real attitude. I loved that team, and it is too bad that Carter’s passion for the game never matched his talent, because if it did, he could have had a career that could come close to Jordan. When Carter before the deciding game against Philly flew down on Tannenbaum’s private jet to get his diploma from North Carolina it showed where his priorities were, and I knew we were doomed.

I can’t wait to watch it and my PVR is set.

November 2, 2011 8:26 pm

the sting of their departures is, at least for me, almost entirely mitigated by the mediocrity of what they went on to achieve. In Vince’s case, he was never as good elsewhere as he was as a Raptor.

PBI
PBI
November 2, 2011 10:17 pm

I’m completely with you, Raptors Devotee.

Even though they left in ways that put a bad taste in our mouths as fans, it’s tough to not remember their tenures fondly especially when you consider that them being on the team went hand in hand with the apex this franchise reached from 1999-2002.

Until the Raptors ever find someone who can take the team further than Vince took them while making the team as popular a draw as he did around the league, I’ll always have a soft spot for them and everyone on the 2001 team.

DeMar DeRozan
DeMar DeRozan
November 2, 2011 10:24 pm

The name says it all…..

Meer
Meer
November 3, 2011 1:34 am

Sell outs? Quit on team? lol, they just flat out left because the Raptors failed to build a good team. Plus the fans turned on them, and Carter said it him self, if they dont appreciate you then why stay? I bet you guys loved it that when Carter left, the Raptors did alot better and even made the playoffs when Bosh lead the team lol to only get kicked out by the man you guys hated so much lol

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
November 3, 2011 9:16 am

Meer, having followed the Raptors since Day 1, and in the loop on everything on and off the court via some amazing Raptor blogs like Raptors HQ and Raptors Republic, plus the Raptors media I respect i.e. Grange, Arthur, Chisholm, Koreen, and not the ass kissers like Smith, I think it is safe to say that I know what went down with a fair degree of certainty.

Your point was not clearly articulated though, but I will do my best to reply to it, specifically relate to Carter, because you are painting a completely different picture of went down and I don’t believe in revisionist history.

Firstly, regarding Carter and him quitting on the team. You claim that he didn’t quit on the team and sell us out. Having watched pretty much every game Carter played in a Raptors uniform, that is exactly what he did, and I take exception to you if you think that his play did not change on the court once he demanded to be traded.

This was the time when he was being a smart ass saying he was not going to dunk anymore. You can tell on the court that he was just winging it, and by his play on the court was willing a trade to happen. This is the main reason why we got pennies on the dollar for him, and if I was the GM back then, unlike Babcock, I would have sat Vince’s ass on the bench until he realized that his lacklustre play was unacceptable.

Ask any hardcore Raptor fan is Vince quit on the team, and if they say no, then they were not following the Raptors seriously back then.

You are paid a big salary and regardless of the outside circumstances your job is to play, not to be a General Manager and sulk on the court. The Raptors management are guilty though because they allowed it to happen, and don’t get me started on the special treatment they gave Carter’s Mom to appease him. The lack of backbone by Raptors ownership is the root cause of the problems we had back then, but that does not excuse Carter for what he did.

Jamie
Jamie
November 3, 2011 4:04 pm

I’d hope Toronto would forgive Vince. Despite the claims of him ‘quitting,’ on the team, Vince is one of the good guys- which may also had been his biggest weakness.

Regardless, VC and the team in the early 2000’s were the most exciting to watch.

It’s never good for a player to tackle MLSE. You’ll get assassinated… some of the media claims were twisted.

Alex Howard
November 3, 2011 6:22 pm

Whats the point in being a fan if your going to hold nothing but resentment towards the players who took your team to its greatest heights or at the very least brought you thrilling moments you will forever remember.

You guys have no insight to what gos on in the inner workings of the NBA, blaming players is essentially siding with management (some of which have gone defunct and have done more damage than those players ever did). Vince took not caring to a whole new level but he wasnt the first guy to do what ever it took to get out. Management is just as much to blame for Vinces departure, it was obvious long before that tirade the Vince didnt want to be there anymore. When AI wanted out of Philly what did their management do? They sent his ass home and waited for the right deal to come along, and they got a better deal because of it.

Toronto had options to move Vince in the off-season, they resisted despite his requests and the result was a bad divorce, these things happen in the NBA. There is no reason to blame Vince for something he doesnt hold against you, he didnt leave Toronto because of the fans so why do the fans boo?

Rome
Rome
November 3, 2011 8:27 pm

Ha I can feel the collective eye roll of basketball fans when Landsberg called Oakley the Wendel Clark of The Raps lol. Then comparing Oakley toughness to “hockey code” lol

Highlight of the interview was their reaction to Landsberg saying that Kobe thought if that team stayed together it would have won championships. I think that’s a misquote I think Kobe said he would be playing against them in the finals. But the reactions of the guys to that quote was pretty priceless.