The Ignorance of Kevin Cowherd!

by TSM

So you want to know the mentality that a guy like Alex Anthopoulos has to put up with in MLB? Get a load of this crap from the Baltimore Sun on the city of Toronto and the Blue Jays:

“And get this: LaCava said he couldn’t take the job because he loves the Blue Jays too much.

OK, let me ask you something. In the entire history of the world, have you ever heard anyone say: “I can’t take the job because I love the Blue Jays too much?”

No, that sentence had not been uttered since the dawn of man. But that’s essentially what LaCava, a 50-year-old baseball lifer, told the Orioles.”

Has anyone politely told this Shmuck (pun intended given the Baltimore Sun columnist he works with) to go F’ himself?? I mean really.

Let’s compare if you will how the two franchises have been viewed globally over, say the last 5 – 15 years.

“He talked about the Blue Jays like they were the New York Yankees. Made Toronto sound like it was Paris. I saw his quotes in the paper Wednesday and thought: “Are we talking about the same Blue Jays here?”

To be clear, I took the family to Baltimore this past summer. i happen to like Baltimore. Having said that, Toronto, is Paris as compared to Baltimore! But forget that. Why the hell even go there??

Ok, your teams owner sucks. Ok, your town is down on your luck. Save for Under Armour and Maryland crabs that is. Why go piss on another team and town?

What an idiot.

Come on Toronto, come on Blue jays, puff up your chests and go to town!

Eugenesaxe
Eugenesaxe
November 3, 2011 2:49 pm

Not sure why you are so upset. They have every right to be offended. The Blue Jays are ostensibly an afterthought in the US of A having not made the playoffs in 17 years.

However, the author of the article misses or fails to build on the bigger issue. Why? Why would a 50 year old AGM pass on the job when he is behind such a young GM in Toronto. The kid is not going anywhere for a long time.
Why would he pass up a GM job with Baltimore to retain an AGM job with a mid pack team in Toronto. I think in both cases the answer says more about the state of the Baltimore franchise than anything else.

gerald
gerald
November 3, 2011 3:35 pm

ok whoever wrote the article is an imbecile.
1) La Cava turned down a job because he wants to be a part of something special. No offense to the Orioles but the team is far from contending and the Jays is 1 year – 2 years max from the post season.

2) Stop talking about the Jays being away for the post season in the past 17 years. Baltimore’s last WS win was during the 1983 season. I’ll give you the fact that the Orioles made the Playoffs during 1996-1997 season but after that it’s all a losing season.

3) Baltimore’s owner is just an imbecile. If the rumors were right, La Cava turned down the offer because of the fact that Angelos wants to control the GM and that’s the opposite way of Toronto. Beeston’s line to AA “make your case and we will give you the money.” AA chooses not too because he is preparing the jays to be perennial contenders not just one year wonder(giants).

I will say it plain and simple to whoever criticizes La Cava’s action get your facts straight and understand each individual’s decision if I was on La Cava’s place I would do the same because of the fact that the Jays created a very good working atmosphere, and also the Jays is going on the right road and I want to be a part of that.

November 3, 2011 4:51 pm

classic TSM typo … they’re usually not in the headline though.

Greg
Greg
November 3, 2011 5:05 pm

Did I read the same article? I don’t have an issue with the article. The author fully lays blame on a dysfunctional front office in Baltimore (see page 2 of the article). His point is that Toronto is not a great baseball city and he still passes up the job to go from being a #2 to a #1. He uses some Toronto name calling for impact – as a means to show how bad it must be to work in Baltimore. Big deal.

Mike
Mike
November 3, 2011 7:07 pm

Something tells me TSM is the kind of guy that watches Stephen Colbert and agrees with everything he says. Another post about an article where he completely misses the tone/and or point by the author. Cowherd was ripping the O’s man, step up your game or stick to the lineups.

Alex
Alex
November 3, 2011 8:04 pm

As a Maryland resident, I’d much rather live in Toronto than Baltimore.

The Wire is pretty darned accurate, let me tell you.

Rome
Rome
November 3, 2011 8:08 pm

I also have to say that I don’t think the author is being overally disrespectful to the Jays. I think it’s understandable for an Orioles writer to wonder and ask why on earth would somebody want to stay in a secondary role in a mid-level team like the Jays and not go to them. I also think it seemed like a diss on the O’s and not as much as the Jays. Heck I thought the same thing and I like the Jays.

Basshat
Basshat
November 3, 2011 9:34 pm

When did TSM suddenly develop the thinnest skin in the blogging world?

Darren
Darren
November 3, 2011 9:35 pm

Why in the hell did this article upset TSM? I found pretty much everything bang on!

Basshat
Basshat
November 4, 2011 7:10 am

A sense of humour; how does that even apply to your column? If it was written as satire then you wouldn’t be defending your atack of the columnist in the comment section. The reason it is a think-skinned response is because you are focused completely on the perceived attack of Toronto when it is quite obvious this is about a once-proud franchise having sunk below mediocre ones, which includes the one the specific GM candidate works for.

Drive-By Posting
Drive-By Posting
November 4, 2011 5:28 pm

Canadians in general, and Torontonians in particular, seem to have a very hard time accepting that the outside perception of their home, and their own perception of it, are two completely different things. And while that is likely true of most people from most places, the degree to which Canadians in general and Torontonians in particular get defensive about it is really rather extraordinary. Brits nod sagely at foreign jibes about damp weather and bad food. Canadians start looking for torches and pitchforks.

The default Canadian emotional setting seems to be passive-aggressive: Canadians tend to passively fish for compliments, then get aggressive if it appears they aren’t forthcoming. There is a genuine sense of insecurity here that isn’t present in most other major markets, and it isn’t particularly becoming. Tell a New Yorker than you don’t like New York, and they might suddenly remember that you’re standing there. They don’t give a flying f*** about whether YOU like New York; THEY do, and that’s all that really matters to them. They take it as read that their city is awesome (I personally disagree), and any dissenting opinion is bound to be from people too unintelligent to know any better. North of the border, however, people tend to be a little bit snippy if they aren’t are popular as they think they should be. Instead of feeling smugly secure about the good thing they know they have, they feel that everybody else should know about it, too, and just accept it at face value. Toronto is the guy who gets turned down for a date, then spends the next two years telling anyone who will listen that the girl of his dreams is actually a complete rhymes-with-runt. For the sake of nipping any future moon-howling in the bud, here’s the short course: Americans think of Canada the way they think of Belgium. Which is to say, they *don’t* think of it, unless they absolutely have to. To an American sports writer, “I’m staying in Toronto” sounds like “I’m staying with the boring-ass franchise that most people have forgotten even exists, in the city that most people have forgotten even exists, rather than leaving to work with one of the most storied franchises in baseball”. Now, said franchise has really been no further ahead of Toronto for the last fifteen years, but it does still have a cache that Toronto simply doesn’t. You can piss and moan all you like about it, but it’s simply the way it is. And the more spiteful the retorts from angry Torontonians are, the easier it is to see why American professional athletes would rather not spend their careers playing in a markedly more hostile, passive-aggressive Belgium. I don’t know I sure as hell wouldn’t…and I *like* Toronto.

Your mileage may vary.

Ami Angelwings
November 6, 2011 2:56 am

I know he was trying to put down Baltimore, but I think he ended up discrediting the Blue Jays instead. It’s kinda like when a good team gets upset and all the stories are about their “collapse” and it feels like the team that beats them gets absolutely no credit for beating them. I get that it’s “wow Baltimore, you SUCK, people won’t even flee Canada for you!”, but given that LaCava prolly wants to stay b/c of the good situation here and what AA has constructed and set forth, instead it doesn’t give AA and the Blue Jays org any credit. I.E. People don’t stay with the Jays because of what the Jays have done positively, but b/c of what other organizations have done negatively.

Roy Green
November 7, 2011 3:34 pm

Three cheers for ‘Greg’ and others who realize the article doesn’t criticize the Blue Jays so much as it does shit all over the Orioles.