Unveiling Hazel Mae

Unveiling Hazel Mae

By TSM

Yet another example of someone returning to the proverbial scene of the crime as Hazel Mae will be reintroduced as a member of team Sportsnet today. You may have heard McCown talking about a big announcement coming today, well, I am told that will be Hazel. I don’t know exactly what she will be doing, however I suspect it will be a similar role to that of Michael Grange and Stephen Brunt. Jack of All Trades, master of………….

Mae left the big smoke to work for NESN and then to the MLB network. She returns to Toronto with Rogers Sportsnet.

I know it’s hard to believe, but I render no opinion. I will reserve judgment until I see more.

If you only read one thing today (other than this of course) make sure you read this great article form the fine folks at Yahoo Sports hockey, Puck Daddy. I love this quote from Brian Burke:

“I played high school football. I was playing Grade 10 football. I hit a guy. We both went down and stayed down. I went to the sidelines, and the coach came over and put his arm around my shoulders and said, ‘How you feeling son?’ And I said, ‘Fine.’ He said, ‘Then why don’t you go over and stand on your side of the field?’

“I walked off the wrong side of the field. So all I said to him was, these are choices athletes make when they play contact sports. It certainly can’t be news to anyone that there’s risk associated with them, and that was the sum total of the conversation.”

The article is a real thought provoking article on concussions and depression. Good stuff.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 46
  • comment-avatar
    Roger 8 years ago

A female visible minority sportscaster left Canada for a huge gig in the US – say it isn’t so…..

Hey TSM,

Why the passive-aggressive “proverbial scene of the crime” and “I render no opinion” stuff? You’re a big boy, if you have something to say about the hiring, let’s own it like adults shall we…

All I see is someone who went from a small Toronto cable show to the 2nd or 3rd biggest American cable network at likely 10X the salary. Who wouldn’t do that given the chance??

• comment-avatar

Not being passive aggressive at all. If my research is accurate she worked in Toronto prior to 2004. I wasn’t living in Toronto until the end of 2004 so I missed her when she was here.

She joined NESN in 2004 and worked there until 2008. I had literally no visibility to NESN in those years as I was back in Toronto.

She left NESN in 2008 to join MLB network until only recently. Again, the amount of times I have watched the MLB network since 2008 can be counted on my two hands.

So, absent any real exposure, I will reserve judgement.

• comment-avatar

I’ll voice an opinion….She’s cute. Hopefully she’s a good sportscaster too.

robinaurora 8 years ago

I agree with TSM on the wait and see (I never watch Sportsnet though, it will be a long wait). I will say, that I assume that if she were a “good broadcaster” (not just eye candy), one of those two networks would have kept her…

I have a very low opinion of Sportsnet (in general) vs. TSN’s overall offering. The two women at SN seem to me to be the best of the news readers on staff – there is no top gun there. So Hazel might just provide a 3rd arm in that rotation

Sam in Scarb 8 years ago

Humm..So this lady left Boston & New York to come work for Robbers/Poker/Soccer channels in Canada??
    Does anyone else think there may be a reason for this???
    Ahh a person does not leave Major U.S. markets (Boston?New York) unless absolutely NOTHING else is available!!

Another Steve 8 years ago

Yes, I suspect there is a reason for her move to Canada. Usually most people have reasons for their actions. 🙂

MarkinT.O. 8 years ago

She has come full circle returning to her original home of Sportsnet.
    She was extremely popular the first time around, she once dated
    ex colleague Brad Fay, before bolting to NESN.

Seems to be more reporting about her personal life during her time with NESN, I can see why she left for MLB.

She will probably fill in for her replacement Martine Gaillard, While
    Martine is on maternity leave and cover the Blue Jays during the season
    as she has done before.

Darrell 8 years ago

Who cares where she fits in? She is much easier on the eyes than Damien Cox, Brunt or any of the other dufuses that have no role at Sportsnet.

Yosh Shmenge 8 years ago

Hazel is easy on the eyes and much better as a sportscaster than many men currently employed at both SportsNet and TSN. Welcome back Hazel to a kinder and more gentle place to live than the USA.

• comment-avatar

I recall reading that she was hugely popular on NESN. I think she became kind of a quasi star there. (I’m pretty sure there was an article written about her a couple years ago that talked about her time in Boston…that’s what I’m thinking of here).

Hey – speaking of Sportsnet – will Tim and Sid be doing Connected in addition to the radio show? I’m looking forward to hearing those guys finally.

• comment-avatar

Robinaurora – yeah, it’s funny. It almost seems like all the ‘stars’ in the Sportsnet family are on radio, while the TV people are relatively anonymous. Meanwhile on TSN, it’s the exact opposite.

• comment-avatar

Normally a fan of females getting opportunities in sports, but was never impressed with her. I remember a big promotion when they give her the morning show host and didn’t really like it.

• comment-avatar

The smartass cynic would wonder if she ran out of players to date in Boston and had to move cities.

• comment-avatar

Alex… Inappropriate and insensitive comment as Hazel is married.

Another Steve 8 years ago

People travel to places for all kinds of reasons, boys: aged family members, spouses, and children, among many other reasons.

Speculation is fine, but it has no bearing in fact, and just exposes the leanings and prejudices of the one making the comment.

I think it is just as likely that she has returned here because Ontario offers her a better portal through which she can contact her alien overlords before they plan their eventual assault on earth.

(At least I prefer this theory to the one which involves saying something that shows prejudice toward both her gender and ethnicity.)

itchy butt 8 years ago

Only reason I would give a rat’s ass is if it meant they’d fire Cox.

Darren 8 years ago

Bang on again TSM with your guess as to what she will be doing!! LMAO

• comment-avatar

Don’t get me wrong – I’m glad Hazel is back….but man, she’s been “introduced/welcomed back” on every show since Prime Time this evening….asked the same questions each time about what she’s been doing since she left….ENOUGH ALREADY!

Basshat 8 years ago

I found her to be a mediocre sportscaster on a mediocre sports channel. It’s a shame she chooses to play up the eye candy cliche.

Dave in Bolton 8 years ago

Still a second rate network

itchy butt 8 years ago

I hear her tears cure world hunger

Brian 8 years ago

This was Roger’s big announcement ?? I’m certainly not going to start watching Sportnet more often now that she has returned after booming out in the US.

• comment-avatar

I heard Hazel on PTS last night where she said that it was Scott Moore who “went after her” to come back to SportsNet. This makes me wonder if the SportsNet problems really do start at the top executive level when Moore is going out to recruit on air people with non-stellar backgrounds. SN sure does love to pat itself on the back a lot and the perpetual cross-promotion is becoming very tiring, and at least to me is a negative… soon they will be promoting SportNet air breathed in the Rogers Campus at Bloor and Jarvis by on-air personalities sitting on their SportsNet chairs with a SportsNet coffee……….

mike (in boston) 8 years ago

in case you’re curious, part-time Rogers employee Bruce D has a breakdown of TSN v. Sportsnet. I won’t spoil the ending for you …

Are you kidding me?
    This is what brought Rogers to a stand-still yesterday?
    The “return” of Hazel Mae???
    The way they were promoting this, I thought I was going to see Obama dong Connected!

Hazel Mae….enough said!

• comment-avatar

having her on PTS yesterday just meant one less segment discussing the Bills game in Toronto.

I assume next week, they will start promoting the 2012 Bills game at Skydome.

Maybe I never noticed it until recently, but the cross-brand promotion is approaching ESPN levels. First it was the magazine, then the Buffalo game.

Darrell 8 years ago

While I am a heterosexual guy who likes seeing gorgeous women on t.v. – I think this clearly goes to show that sex sells and that having gorgeous women like Martine Gaillard, Renee Paquette or Hazel Mae bring the men to the respective stations.

I don’t think of women as a slab of meat to look at – but I am not saying either that I don’t enjoy seeing them on t.v. As long as they know their sports and know what they are talking about – their looks are just an added bonus.

Eugenesaxe 8 years ago

I agree with many have said on here.

I am tired of the cross promotion of the Rogers SN “brand”. From the Blue Jays to the Buffalo Bills, to Sportnet Connected to the new Sportnet magazine to the Rogers cells phones and on and on. I feel like I am being treated as nothing more than a consumer for their products.

The hiring of Hazel Mae certainly confirms one thing. TSN is in no danger of giving up their crown any time soon. Catering to the horned up male might get a few initial rating points but in the end the steak sells, not the sizzle. Especially when the sizzle is an aging, quasi sportscaster who’s main “skill” is being sexy..

• comment-avatar

I really enjoy this website, I really do. However, I find there to be a huge RSN slant. TSN/CTV get the rights to the world cup from CBC and nary a sound, but Hazel Mae coming back to Sportsnet! Stop the presses!

Very rarely is TSN discussed in the articles and message boards (maybe a good thing??). I find ppl ranting about how Cox and Shannon are the worst on the round table.. Meanwhile TSN recently hired a Leafs beat reporter and SC anchor over the last couple months.

Just an observation.

• comment-avatar

Completely agree Guy, great point and glad it was brought up! He seems to pick an choose who to reply to and also what is relevant to him, I guess like Bob says on PTS is true, ‘when ya get your own radio show(website) you can do what ya want, untill than SHUTUP!!!!!

Dave in Bolton 8 years ago

Which Leafs beat writer did TSN hire?

Howard the Duck Berger?

Another Steve 8 years ago

Guy – we comment on what we listen to. Many people here, myself included, don’t listen much to 1050, for various reasons. If you call that a slant, so be it.

But I certainly don’t try to mock and insult TSN all the time, as some posters do regarding Rogers. I just can’t comment on what I don’t hear.

Just as it is in politics, people see a bias where they want to see a bias.

Dave in Bolton 8 years ago

I hope it’s Howard unlike some of you i find him interesting

gerry 8 years ago

Personally, I also slant to the rogers holdings.
    For years, I’ve found myself watching TSN less and less. Maybe that tells something about my own personality, like rooting for the underdogs ( like sportsnest and the score )
    I will watch sportsnet hockey coverage over tsn almost any time. TSN gives me the impression of stuffed shirt know-it-alls

• comment-avatar

Leafs beat reporter = mark master formally of the national post

@another steve i understand what youre saying. However, these boards are moderated, dictated and influenced by what TSM posts. Would it kill him to post something regarding TSN’s NHL or CFL coverage? Maybe the direction and setup of one of the Networks principle shows?

Hey, even Dowbiggin was able to do it (in a half-assed sort a way).

Im not a TSN cheerleader by any means, im just looking for some balanced discussion.

Another Steve 8 years ago

Guy – fair points, but I think it is really incumbent on the readers here to raise those points as well, if that’s what interests people.

For my part, I think it would be great if people raised some salient points about TSN as well. (For example, although I am not a fan of the CFL, I really enjoy listening to Chris Schulz and always pause to watch when he is talking on a roundtable).

And so I would also like to hear some positive, thoughtful posts about TSN. My impression is that a lot of what passes off as TSN coverage (by commenters) here basically just bashes Rogers or is akin to the kind of insulting language and name-calling that only children use. Thus, as I said at the start, I think it is the responsibility of the posters here to initiate that discussion and to show that this is what people want to discuss. But, since I really haven’t developed the habit of following TSN that much, I don’t think it’s fair of me to do this.

Again, I am not trying to be dismissive. I look forward to reading more posts about TSN – but it’s incumbent on those who watch it to make them.

• comment-avatar

Just another typical sports hire, only problem is she is 41, how bout someone in their early 20’s who doesn’t have to ‘learn’ about sports or get ‘caught up’.

• comment-avatar

She wasn’t that good before she left, I don’t see how she will improve Sportsnet now that she’s back.

Capn2patch 8 years ago

I am in awe of the simple fact that there are FORTY replies to this thresd.

Doug Cumpson 8 years ago

Hey,

We put the Hazel Mae come-back out-there if you were too chicken to leave your opinion – afraid to have to eat some crow down the line?

Hazel Mae was amazing back in 2000 arguably she was the catalyst to having men watch early morning sports shows . . . after-all she was worth getting up for at 6 a.m.

She had a smile on her face and was quick with the wit – and took it early on cub reporter Jim Lang back then – clearly he benefitted from working with Hazel in more ways than one.

We went into deep depression when she left town to chase a Blue Jay rookie to Boston – an unfortunate mistake in judgment on her part – but we are more than happy to see her back as we have been forced to watch Robin Meade on HLN every morning – while she is a capable fill in – we are tired of watching U.S. news and propaganda daily.

Lie the A & A old saying let it free – if it comes back to you – it was meant to be . . .

Welcome back Hazel – it was long overdue . . .

But you go the wrong 6 o’clock time slot – it should be a.m. not p.m.

• comment-avatar

I couldn’t believe it when I saw her on Sportsnet. THIS is what everyone’s so excited about? Then I saw pics of what she looked like back in the days when she was in Boston. Are you SURE it’s the same person? The one in Boston looked hot, but this one…. Yeesh.
    But let’s look past appearance for a moment and look at how she does her job. She bellows. She’s not the only sports anchor who does that, but why do it? She’s wearing a mic and TVs have speakers. We can hear you, Hazel, no need to shout at us. Enough with the bellowing.
    What makes me laugh the most, though, is how she poses and preens on the air. She’s obviously been told what runway models do, so based on that description and without ever seeing a professional demonstrate it for her, she (1) takes a couple of steps forward, (2) points her toes at the camera, (3) turns to the side from the waist up, (4) turns her face back to the camera, and (5) smiles. A real model does all of that smoothly in one sleek motion, but you can almost see Hazel counting “1, 2, 3, 4, 5” as she ticks off each of the steps. #2 is supposed to make her legs look longer, but hers just look fat. #3 is supposed to show off her boobs. I wonder how many minutes it takes for her to position her hair so that it looks like fingers and a hand sitting on each of her boobs and holding them. It’s always like that every day and it’s not just falling that way by accident, kids. And about #5…what’s with her teeth?!? Geezuz.
    Look, I know she was pregnant when she came back to Sportsnet, but even allowing a lot for that, she’s FAT, her hair extensions look silly grabbing her boobs, and her teeth look like that Jaws guy from the Bond movies. She looked ridiculous standing there trying to balance on her stilettos while she pointed her toes and pushed out her chest. Someone finally convinced her to sit behind the desk, maybe because it lets her have her “hair hands” grabbing both boobs on camera, not just one when she was turned sideways, or maybe because it hides her fat calves.
    She’s a walking (waddling) ego trip and it shows clearly on-air. When the Jays’ pre-game show starts during her show, instead of knocking off early, she takes it over and pushes Jamie Campbell and Gregg Zaun out of the way, then covers hockey and other stuff. It’s “Blue Jays Connected”, not “Hazel Mae Grabs More Airtime”…or at least it should be “Blue Jays Connected”. If she really wants to co-host the pre-game show, she would stick around for the late West Coast games, but no, she just wants to hijack the early ones away from the real hosts.
    Why no mention of the “non-marital interactions” she had with then-Red Sox manager, Terry Francona? Did that have anything to do with leaving her high-profile gig in Beantown to return to lil’ ol’ Sportsnet?
    And why has there been absolutely NO mention of her on air since she disappeared a few months ago? After all the hype leading up to her return, the total silence about her is strange. I actually Googled her to see if she’d been fired or suspended or kidnapped by aliens. That would explain the silence. Her bio is no longer on the Sportsnet website. If she’s just on maternity leave and is coming back, why no mention of her, especially in the year-end reviews and best-of shows?
    “Unveiling Hazel Mae”? After her unsuccesful, ridiculous excessively-hyped return to Toronto, I think she should re-veil herself. Better yet, go for the full burkha.
    Give all her airtime to Evanka and Martine. They’re professional AND hot. Hazel is neither.

• comment-avatar

Google “Terry Francona affair” and her name. Nuff said.

Wraith 7 years ago

I wonder what her and Brian Burke are going to name their baby?

• comment-avatar

After all the discussion back and forth before my post, I thought mine would really kick over the hornet’s nest. LOL Perhaps I summed it up so completely there’s nothing left to say?

Well, there are a few things to add. She has obviosuly reappeared after her long absence. I haven’t heard, not have I cared enough to look it up, if she spawned and, of so, who the baby daddy is. Whether she gave birth or not, she also took the time to get her teeth fixed. They have gone from gawdawful to normal, which is way better than some of the huge chompers that somehow are able to glow whiter than white can physically be.

She’s not stomping around the set as much, but Hazel hasn’t forgotten her five-step pose-like-a-model performance. Unfortunately, she hasn’t learned how to do it all smoothly and fluidly like a real model or human being would and you cans till see her ticking them off step by step in her mind as she does them. A friend with long hair tells me that in her expert opinion, it probably takes a full five minutes to brush, comb, and hand-position her hair so that it looks like hands and fingers holding her boobs. This will be confirmed if she ever has to go on the air on very short notice with some kind of news bulletin. If her hair is behind her shoulders that time, it’s because she didn’t have time to make it look like it’s cupping her boobs and had to get on air immediately.

She’s still bellowing and doing her I’m-a-tough-bitch act. Will someone at Sportsnet PLEASE tell Hazel it’s totally unnecessary. SN and TSN and many others all have female on-air staff now. It’s no longer necessary to be as tough or tougher than the otherwise-all-male staff. Evanka has a relaxed, professional delivery and the other female anchors and reporters do, too. They don’t need to do the tough guy act and neither does Hazel, but she keeps doing it anyway. And what’s with the uber-polite questions in interviews and calling guests “sir”? If her tough guy act is just an act, is this subservience that’s peeking through in interviews the real Hazel? Or if she really thinks she is a tough guy and it’s not an act, then the persona during interviews like with Bud Selig is just condescension.

The other female on-air personalities all have a professional, competent, relaxed, and friendly way of doing their jobs. None of those words describe Hazel’s on-air persona and delivery.

Remember when the baseball pre-game show was a full half-hour? Hazel’s return to Sportsnet and her claim on the 6 pm sportscast include her refusal to let go of the time for the pre-game show. She acts like it’s her show and that she’s just allowing Jamie and Gregg to have what time she decides to give them that day. She keeps grabbing the show back and filling it with hockey and other stuff that’s a wee bit off-topic for a Blue Jays pre-game show. Can you imagine anyone doing that to Ron and Don in their slot before HNIC? Hazel loves to grab that time back and control the half-hour like it’s her territory, but when the game starts later, even just one hour later, she’s nowhere to be found. She gladly hands back the full half hour rather than work a bit later. Same on weekends. I’m not complaining, mind you, any time she’s gone is a good time, but it shows how she really has no business interfering with Jamie and Gregg’s show when it starts at 6:30.

Maybe she’ll go for another drive with a senior team or network exec and breed again. With any luck, her contract provides for an even longer maternity leave than the minimum required by law and she’ll be off the air again for a long time. She is not helping Sportsnet at all, in any way, by being on the air.

While my comments here may not have much effect, maybe they do in another place where I wrote them, namely on a BBM television ratings survey diary. A while back, I was selected to be one of the people who received one in which to record what shows I watched, as well as when and on what channel. Since I do not and will not watch Hazel, my diary matched that and when BBM crunches the numbers, my viewing habits will be extrapolated and the coveted 18-49 demographic will see a dip in ratings whenever Hazel is on the air. I also wrote my opinion in the comments section. Years ago, a neighbour worked in radio and he told me that stations pay attention to the BBM results, including the listener comments. I’m sure TV channels are similar to radio stations in how they use the BBM ratings. (BBM is part of Neilsen, but it says BBM on the diary, so that’s what I call it. I guess they prefer that over “Neilsen ratings” like they’re called in the U.S.)

With any luck, my effect on the overall ratings will at least prevent her from getting a bonus or a promotion and maybe will get her replaced. Let her do the all-night scores and headlines on Sportsnet World. Just don’t trade her to the sportsdesk at NakedNews. I know some guys here would cure their ED if that happened, but not all of us think she looks hot. Evanka, on the other hand… 🙂