Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN tonight, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown from 4-7pm.

Roundtable from 5-7pm with Stephen Brunt, John Shannon, and Doug Smith

On TSN Radio 1050, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. His co-host is Bob Mackowycz

4:35 – Ian Troop – CEO of Toronto Pan Am Games
4:45 – Joey Crabb – Maple Leafs forward
5:15 – Bob McKenzie – TSN Hockey Insider
5:30 – Pat Quinn
5:45 – Jesse Palmer – TSN Football Analyst
6:00 – Darren Dreger – TSN Hockey Insider
6:30 – Bruce Arthur – National Post writer

Tonight on Sportsline:

Fact or fiction—the Maple Leafs are a first place team, is Jaromir Jagr’s production a surprise, will the Blue Jays chase Japanese sensation Yu Darvish and the Buffalo Bills explain why they respect Head Coach Chan Gailey! Join Bubba O’Neil & Mark Hebscher tonight at 7 on CHCH.

Bora
Bora
November 4, 2011 6:05 pm

It was pretty painful to listen to the first half hour of PTS today.

Alex
Alex
November 4, 2011 6:15 pm

Was there something with the mics to start the round table today? Sounded weird.

As bad as the show might be today, there’s no Damion, so it’s a winner.

November 4, 2011 6:46 pm

Did anyone else hear Hayes say “I am not a PhD so I am no medical expert” when he speculated on his show today that James Reimer’s current injury is concussion-related ??

November 4, 2011 7:27 pm

Mike S – haha.

itchy butt
itchy butt
November 4, 2011 7:35 pm

@Bora:
Agree with you. This week has been painful. Bob is starting to sound like a grumpy old guy yelling at clouds, and the round table sounds like a bunch of old guys yelling at clouds. I think it’s time to load the USB stick with some fresh tunes and screw 590.

Another Steve
Another Steve
November 4, 2011 8:08 pm

Mike S, to me those kinds of screw-ups are ok when someone is in the process of admitting that they lack knowledge, I suppose. On the other hand, I used to cringe when Krystal tried to bring in his intellectual credentials to solidify his arguments – the kind of credentials that would impress only those who never stepped foot on a university campus.

Chef Mike in Burlington
November 4, 2011 8:13 pm

I’ve started limiting myself to Fridays only, the grumpy old man thing is getting a bit tired. I actually taped the HD round table , just because it was there, and Brunt mostly sat there, sadly…

To see Bob on tv for the first time in months is kinda creepy, he looks so old, wizened and crusty, and not in a cool way, just cranky…

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
November 4, 2011 8:24 pm

I have never been so off PTS as I am now, and this is not the way that I thought it would go with TSN Radio opening up shop. The upgrade with the new studios I thought would be a positive sign that the show would also go in the same direction, but sadly it has not.

Yes, I am pissed that Arthur is gone replaced by Cox, and that Brunt has not been on anywhere near enough of late, but even with that, I also gave it a shot, ten minutes, and wholeheartingly agree with Chef Mike, that Brunt looked on tv completely sad and disinterested, something that I have never seen before.

For Brunt, to be surrounded by a round table of buffoons and yes men, it is no wonder. Bob has turned more crusty and insular himself, and regardless of ratings, which they still have a strong hold on in this timeslot, it is evident to me that his passion has dissipated a fair amount.

I find myself getting a more rounded, better sports fix via twitter these days, where the amount of sports content easily accessible in print far supercedes what is available on the radio these days for me.

November 4, 2011 8:44 pm

A coupls TSM tweets today for the PTS haters! 🙂

“I am told that fan 590 kicked Tsn radio’s but in the 25-54 demo. Haven’t seen younger #’s yet”

“More on radio #’s : 25-54 males, PTS 10.8 vs. TSN 2.2”

Another Steve
Another Steve
November 4, 2011 8:51 pm

I just heard the 6pm hour of the roundtable while stuck in traffic – but I found Doug Smith hilarious.

Ami Angelwings
November 5, 2011 4:45 am

Yay Brunt is back! I’m depressed that John Shannon is apparently now guaranteed to be on every roundtable 🙁 I enjoyed the parts when Brunt spoke, and I like Doug Smith, as long as he doesn’t make too many bad jokes XD But I do like him :3 I think Bob always sounds less grumpy around Brunt but more grumpy around Shannon and Cox… so on the roundtables he is oscillating between not grumpy and grumpy xD

November 5, 2011 8:38 am

no nominees from me for best interview of the week, but one of nominee for WTF! interview of the week.

Hayes & Charles “don;t bring eggs to a BBQ” Oakley: each answer was less coherent than the previous one. My personal highlight was whenHayes asked how Oak would feel if a player went to shake the opposing player’s hand after losing a close game (a clear reference to VC’s propensity to pal around after a loss). Oak then went on 2 minute diatribe about football and how it is too friendly, and how there’s too many officials looking to call penalties, and how they shouldn’t prejudge the plays … Oak’s incoherence actually rubbed off on Hayes, who at some point described Shaq as “outspoken and voice-iferous”.

Alex
Alex
November 5, 2011 8:59 pm

Wouldnt you be grumpy if you had to work with coxevery other week?

Ami Angelwings
November 6, 2011 2:46 am

Oh, listening to the roundtable podcast again, I’m just boggling at Shannon. Two things rly stood out… 1) he doesn’t get why a hand is upper body? Brunt actually had to explain to him that the hand is part of the limb that attaches to shoulder? 2) “there’s not a chance in a million” = 0 out of a million not 1 out of a million.

“you’ve got a chance in a million to date me” would be 1 in a million…

I geek out over PTS the way I do over any other thing I fangirl about xD