Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

By TSM

Here’s are your drive home lineups

On Fan 590 Tonight-

TBA

On TSN Radio 1050

James Cybuski’s co-host is Bruce Arthur

4:30 – Matt Hinton – Yahoo Sports College Football blogger
5:15 – Bob McKenzie – TSN Hockey Insider
5:30 – Georges Laraque & Darren Pang
6:00 – Darren Dreger – TSN Hockey Insider
6:15 – Herm Edwards – ESPN Football Analyst

Tonight on Sportsline:

Are the Buffalo Bills the frauds of the AFC East, were the Maple Leafs overconfident against the Bruins, should Steve Williams be punished for his remarks about Tiger Woods and we unveil another belly busting edition of ‘The Hebsy’s.’

Join Mark Hebscher & Bubba O’Neil tonight at 7 on CHCH.

Chef Mike in Burlington
November 7, 2011 6:18 pm

So I flick to Bob during a commercial from around the horn, and what to I see but Magoo checking his email no less than 4 times in 5 minutes, on camera…really??…Magoo is that important?? He can’t wait until the interview is Over and they are on commercial ??? Clearly unprofessional…

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
November 7, 2011 6:57 pm

I caught some of Primetime on Sportsnet Fan590 radio, or whatever the name is that they are going by, as they change it weekly it seems, and a radio spot comes on for some tout about tonight’s NFL Monday night game.

Are they that hard up for advertising $ (I know the answer) that they are allowing shills to come on to peddle their picks. Since we all know, or if some don’t, that all they do is give half of the people calling in one side or total, and the other half the other side, plus make outrageous claims, like the 24-4 record I heard, I find it demeaning for their listeners to have to listen to it.

By allowing this type of advertising all they are doing is destroying the crediblity of PTS. It is kind of ironic that Randall The Handle, who is on their weekly Sunday morning betting show, has his own site where he blows the myths off of these shady betting companies, and he himself provided well researched documented picks for Free, relying on the public to frequent his advertisers.

Touts are just scam artists, and I really hope that these spots stop. I myself will lodge a complaint with the FAN tomorrow, and hope others do the same.

Ami Angelwings
November 7, 2011 7:37 pm

I presume Magoo is Shannon and this means Brunt isn’t on like he (by my calculations) should be 🙁

Darren
Darren
November 7, 2011 8:36 pm

Not sure why Brunt is barley ever on, he is nowhere near his schedule for the 2weeks he and Cox are suppose to alternate. He isn’t writing for the Globe, he has his one article every two weeks for the magazine anddddddddddddddd, not sure after that.

Martin
Martin
November 7, 2011 8:48 pm

Got a free sample of The Sportsnet Magazine (with Don Cherry on the cover) in
the mail today not sure where they got my name & address but I’ll give it a read to try it out……

November 7, 2011 9:03 pm

It sounds like Raptors Devotee is getting ready to boycott PTS once again……………I hope this PTS boycott lasts a bit longer than his last one, which was when McCown made some sexist remarks about female athletes

Capn2patch
Capn2patch
November 7, 2011 9:22 pm

Hey RD, nice to see that you care to post some something around here once in a while ;-0 I’ll stick to the “allowing this type of advertising all they are doing is destroying the crediblity of PTS” bit.

It is demeaning. Sadly were not the only ones listening.

Is it weird to you that I’m a fan of the four o’clock hour?

Bobby G
Bobby G
November 7, 2011 10:53 pm

There have been ads for touts on the Monday editions PTS forever. Now he’s upset about it?

Ami Angelwings
November 7, 2011 11:58 pm

I’m just upset Brunt is so infrequently on lately 🙁 He was replaced by Shannon for 2 days during the last “Brunt week”, and he was replaced on Friday by Cox the 2 “Brunt weeks” before that :\ He replaced Cox last week but that still has him lagging behind.

Yes I keep track of these things xD It’s just this thing I do with any show I like… I have the same kinda auto memory for Smallville, Supernatural, Merlin, etc too xD

alex
alex
November 8, 2011 2:17 am

I bet brunt is on tomorrow, to talk joe frazier (rip).

Sadly, that also likely means flim flam character bert sugar will be on too.

Ami Angelwings
November 8, 2011 3:22 am

You don’t like Bert Sugar? o_O

Ami Angelwings
November 8, 2011 3:25 am

when did the Joe Frazier story break today? Maybe they sent Brunt off suddenly because of that? :\ Maybe he’s doing another Brunt essay…

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
November 8, 2011 7:45 am

TSM, I catch PTS usually around dinnertime for my kids in the kitchen, so the podcast is not an option for me then. My point about the tout ads is more a concern actually than anything else, because those ads are pure poison for compulsive gamblers who lose a lot on the weekend betting the NFL, and desperately chase their losses on the Monday night game.

Thankfully the PTS demographic is older, 25-54, so less younger, more susceptible listeners will be influenced by them.

Having followed the industry and knowing how they operate, these types of commercial spots do a disservice to the listeners, as they do not provide a valuable service, quite the opposite actually, they prey on the weak.

I wish you would do a Pressbox with Randall the Handle and interview him on how he feels about these type of ads running. By doing so, I guarantee that you will change your opinion on them. Ask yourself why these ads are not running Sunday morning during a betting show. I know, they have BET 365 as a sponsor, so likely their contract would not allow it with them, but even without it, they know better than to allow these types of predatory ads on their show.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
November 8, 2011 10:38 am

F.Y.I. I did leave a message related to the tout spots with Don Kollins. The Fan 590 Sportsnet radio knows exactly what they are dealing with by accepting them. I don’t expect a response back from Kollins, based on previous experience, but at least I let him know how I feel.

To address your point about not listening, that is not the point. I listen when it is convenient for me to do so, and the last time I checked, we are allowed to voice our opinions on the content on PTS and other sports media areas.

Regarding McCown’s stance on women as another poster alluded to, I also voiced my concerns with the station as well on that way back then and did listen a lot less shortly after. My listening has gone from an avid one to a very occasional one for lots of reasons I have already documented on this site.

At this point the best show on the radio that I listen to is The Dan Patrick Show on TSN Radio right now. Outside of that, my listening is very selective.

Paul
Paul
November 8, 2011 10:48 am

Raptors devotee:
Don’t hold your breathe with getting a response from Don Kollins. Actually it will be highly unlikely that he even reads anything listeners send to him. Unlike his predecessor Nelson Millman, Kollins dosen’t give a rats arse about anything the audience says. All he cares about is the numbers in the ratings book. A valid way of managing, but a horrible way to produce quality programming and it shows by the definate decline in the FAN’s on-air performances over the past couple of years. Like everything Rogers, it’s all about the bottom line and morals or integrity have nothing to do with making $$ in Rogers way of doing business.

Aye Eye
Aye Eye
November 8, 2011 12:31 pm

TSM doesn’t understand why radio shows are put on television. Really?
First, and probably most important, it’s cheap Canadian content. Second, it increases the value of the radio brand, and elevates the profile of the shows (which is essentially the same thing). Remember, this war between Rogers (Sportsnet) and Bell (TSN) is all about branding. And third, it increases the radio ratings for a show, sometimes by as much as a point. That’s significant. And as for doing it right, they are doing it right. It’s still first and foremost a radio show. Once it becomes a TV show, the purpose is defeated.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
November 8, 2011 1:17 pm

Paul, you bring up an excellent point about Rogers. I will give you an example that happend to me recently concerning some unauthorized text message charges on my wife’s cell phone. Only after going directly to my MP, Peter Kent, and arranging a meeting with his Special Advisor, who opened up a file on it, did I get some action once Rogers got word of it. I ended up getting a full credit for the amount plus H.S.T., plus my next bill had two more charges which were credited on the same statement!

Peter Kent, as a Minister in the Harper gov’t, along with his special advisor, are fully aware how Rogers and the other Telco companies are in cahoots with these 3rd party companies as they get a piece of the action on it. I since met Peter Kent directly after my meeting and a file on this has been opened up to address how many people are getting ripped off.

Thank you for listening so attentively to my concerns and requesting that in addition to lodging a complaint, which I just did, to the CCTS, Commissioner For Complaints For Telecommunications Services, that I document everything to you so that Peter can deal with it on his end. What is going on here with the fraudulent charges to the consumers who seem to have no recourse and are on the hook for them since their telecommunications provider, in my case, Rogers, has taken no responsibility for, and is basically enabling the activity, is not acceptable at any level.

I will firstly document for you exactly what has transpired:

Wednesday, October 12th, I open my monthly hard copy Rogers bill, and upon review, see the following line item charge on my wife’s cell phone # account:

Date: Sep 01
Content Provider: Tremor Media
Code/Service Description: *79123 My IQ Online
For Billing Questions Contact: 1-888-846-6939
For Application Support Contact: 1-888-846-6939
Qty: 5
Cost Per Unit ($): 5.00
Charges ($): 25.00

Rogers has the following in their small print right below related to their asterisk:

*If the quantity (Qty) of a third party purchase is greater than one, the date displayed reflects the first purchase date. For questions about these charges, please contact the listed third party service provider directly. Visit http://www.rogers.com/terms for service terms and conditions.

Steven, after doing a lot of due diligence on my part, I am a realtor and do it all the time I came to the following conclusions:

• Contacting the company directly accomplishes nothing, as you are either put on hold indefinitely, leave automated messages that go nowhere, or if you are lucky enough to get a real person, are promised a refund cheque, which shockingly never arrives.
• Replying STOP to the unsolicited text messages that my wife receives does not put a stop to them, as I found out.
• Rogers claims it is not their problem, but the CRTC who has allowed this to happen, and refuses to credit my account and also put a stop to any future unauthorized billings from this company

I will wait word on any progress that you and Peter can make on this, and will see next month if I have any additional charges, since once they have access, I imagine they will just keep billing it. Possibly they don’t because they hope to sneak one through and move on to their next prey, I really don’t know how these scam artists work. Bottom line this is not right and I have paid this out via my Rogers account and that is not right. There is also a security risk here, as it is possible that the fraudulent money gained by this is being used by organized crime/terrorism outfits. This alone should raise some serious alarm bells.

Alex
Alex
November 8, 2011 3:59 pm

Brunt was on the morning show talking smokin joe. And i see he wrote a column, which likely was a pre-written obit id guess.

One hopes he will be on pts today.

Capn2patch
Capn2patch
November 8, 2011 9:38 pm

RD.

Dude, sounds like you have a smart phone. You may have downloaded an app recently that may have a virus in it that links to whatever. Ka-ching.

Up above… Good to hear the truth about industries that parch the earth. Good to have you back