The Return Of Tim & Sid

Ok radio heads, (and please spare us all the negative comments please :)- that’s a joke) I am told that Tim and Sid will be making their Sportsnet 590 the Fan debut on December 12.

Yes the delay has everything to do with the Score enforcing a non-compete; what else besides an awesome app do they have to hold on to?

The countdown begins, a little over 1 month until they take to the air.

Thoughts? Anyone? Bueller?

Dok
Dok
November 8, 2011 8:41 pm

I think it makes sense to have a non compete in this case with Sid being the face if their reality show Drafted 3 that’s running right now, and Tim wanted to finish up the Canadian college football season with the score, I thought

Gerry
November 8, 2011 9:02 pm

Fantastic, however I have a feeling they will lose some of their ‘mojo’

On the hip edgy Score, you could imagine a live cartoon of those heads in primetime.
Not a chance on Rogers owned SportsnetRadio.

I just look forward to their podcast. Probably the slickest package of sports News and entertertainment. About 50% of my daily audio is podcast, and they were a daily must.

Hope they can deliver again.

Synon
Synon
November 8, 2011 9:38 pm

My love for Tim and Sid has been constant and unabated, so this is great news. It will be different on real radio as opposed to Sirius, but anything by those two is better than having them off the air. It will feel more like the old episodes of their podcast when they just got off television than later when they pushed the boundaries of their uncut mandate.

Adam
November 8, 2011 9:45 pm

Great news. Can’t wait for them to be back on the air and, hopefully, in podcast form.

Mike
Mike
November 8, 2011 9:51 pm

STOAKED… beats the crap occupying the 1-4 slot at the moment with Eric Smith and Paul Jones…. Smith’s not a bad Anaylist but hes not a good host and Jones is awful……. Sid and Tim should be good in afternoons leading into Prime Time Sports and Bob McCown……. wonder if they’ll do any anchoring of Connected as well?

Cory
Cory
November 8, 2011 11:01 pm

Can’t wait!! Please give these guys a chance. It seems people like to bury talent in this market before they can even grow and reach their potential.

I personally didn’t miss one of their podcasts and found that they were at the top of the list for must listen to in this area. Won’t be the same on AM radio but I believe they are talented enough to adjust and provide a very entertaining show. Have had Tim & Sid withdrawal since Sirius decided to shut down some real good Canadian content with the removal of the score station.

People who give them a chance will quickly learn that, yes they like to goof off, but when it comes to a very wide range of sports topics they are second to none. They can carry a conversation on any of the mainstream sports ( Sid can even do cricket).

So please before coming on here and ripping them apart, give them a chance. They will be a much needed addition to the Fan590 lineup!

Victor
Victor
November 8, 2011 11:59 pm

I’m facing a dilemma: I like Smith (and Jones) a lot. Contrary to a post above, I think Smith has been very good since taking over from Andrew Krystal and Jonesy has been a nice addition the last few weeks too. But I’m looking forward to hearing Tim and Sid. I think they’ll have a good show that should blow away anything TSN is doing.

I guess Smith was never the long-term guy given his primary basketball job? However, I remember the TSM post last month that showed his ratings were pretty good. What about October though? I only saw TSM mention the Primetime Sports numbers. I’d be interested in seeing Smith’s numbers and Blair’s too. Also how they all compare against TSN 1050.

November 9, 2011 1:11 am

I’m excited to check em out.

Guys like Tim & Sid and Greg Brady (and Jeff Blair to an extent) are kind of polar opposites of the hosts from the old days of The Fan (guys like Landry, Hogan, Stellick, Swirsky).

While guys like Landry, Hogan and Stellick had long successful careers on the station, I really did find them to sound tired by the end of their run. Even though I thought they seemed like nice guys, I wasn’t listening. It just got kind of safe. Kind of … old sounding? Not vibrant? The shows had run their course.

I’m enjoying this shift to these guys who come across as much more current and edgy (except Krystal). Tim and Sid seem to continue this trend. Not everyone’s cup of tea I know, but I’m liking it.

Unless Tim and Sid stink, this will be the first time I can remember that I’ll be going out of my way to listen to just about all the shows on The Fan (I get and enjoy the Brady/Lang, Blair and PTS podcasts currently).

Will be interesting to see how they do vs Hayes. I’m also curious to see if Blair bounced back and if Hayes has managed to find an audience.

Rob C.
November 9, 2011 2:34 am

I ran into Tim here in Kingston by the way. He was in town doing play by play for OUA football a couple of weeks back. So guessing he was asked to finish that off before leaving. Met him a couple of times during Queen’s run to the Vanier Cup a couple of years back as The Score carried a few of the games. Always a nice guy so glad to see him doing well and moving on to FAN590.

Yates Cup is this weekend, November 12th. And December 12th is the likely start date at Rogers? Go figure. LOL.

PBI
PBI
November 9, 2011 5:46 am

I’m excited, never been a huge Smith/Jones fan due to them being huge Raptor apologists over the years and I was never able separate them being radio hosts just hosting an all purpose sports show and them on Raptors radio broadcasts/post game show where they are absolutely terrible but they did a passable job as fill-ins, I guess.

I’m marking December 12th on the calendar, too bad Sid/Tim won’t really be able to develop much of an identity in the few days they are on the air before the Fan shuts it down until 2012.

Ami Angelwings
November 9, 2011 8:18 am

I like Smith and Jones, but I’m not wedded to them. But they’re way preferable to Krystal xD I never rly “got” The Score, and I found their personalities to be shouty and sound angry all the time (esp Tim) so I generally tuned into Sportsnet and TSN for my highlight stuff… but I’d be interested in hearing something new and seeing what they can do 😀 As long as they don’t try to be “macho” or “Edgy” or something -_-

November 9, 2011 9:03 am

the FAN tends to skew older and Tim & Sid (in the few months i listened to their podcast) skew much younger in terms of their style, sports content, and non-sports content.

i will be really interested to see if the FAN’s audience embraces them out of the gate, or if it takes them a while to convert those listeners. remember these are people who are used to a time-slot that has been dominated by Stellicktricity, the Deacon, E. Smith, Jack Armstrong, etc. Not exactly strong personalities.

if i’m the FAN i’m a little worried that people turned off by Tim&Sid (and there will be such people) will find Hayes to be a breath of fresh air, since his style is mostly free of affect.

Paul
Paul
November 9, 2011 9:30 am

I agree with Mike in Boston. When I did listen to Tim and Sid in the past, I found them loud, very angry, aggressive and overly preachy. Not my cup of tea, but since I am north of 50 I seem to have a problem with this type of combative radio that is now the norm for talk radio. Like hockey fights, this type of contranian radio becomes predictable and not entertaining very quickly. However having said that all I can do is give a chance and in a few months make an educated evaluation.

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
November 9, 2011 12:46 pm

not happy they went to Rogers rather they went to TSN

Rome
Rome
November 9, 2011 4:25 pm

I have to give credit to the Fan, they went out and got aggressive and got what many people thought were the best new talent out there. I wonder if they will give them the hype machine behind them from the Fan. You don’t normally get that for an afternoon show but you never. Certainly looking forward to it

November 9, 2011 4:51 pm

Dave in Bolton – what difference does it make?

Ami Angelwings
November 9, 2011 7:49 pm

I’m odd in that while I’m young, I like listening to people who are older or who target older (unless they specifically are talking about issues involving young ppl, I would prefer they have somebody they can talk to who IS that age range rather than the “KIDS THESE DAYS MAKE NO SENSE” thing that you sometimes get xD ) and I prefer the way the older hosts talk over any attempt to do “hip and edgy” xD Also I like boxing and don’t get UFC xD

mike
mike
November 9, 2011 11:01 pm

In the words of Bart Scott – CAN’T WAIT

Victor
Victor
November 10, 2011 7:02 pm

Based on the ratings I read in the other TSM posting, looks like Smith is doing very well. Higher ratings this month than what they were in September. I still say he’s underrated by many of you. I’d be happy if he stayed on the air, but I’m still looking forward to Tim and Sid as well.

Of course, Bobcat is king anyway. He’s who I hear most anyway, on the drive home.

Ken Lakusta
Ken Lakusta
November 11, 2011 5:55 pm

God, I’m gonna miss farting by Tim Micallef’s desk.

rishi
rishi
November 24, 2011 10:43 am

I hope that they don’t change their awesome ways they deliver their content. I’m afraid that SN will tone them down a bit.

Louie Mitanis
Louie Mitanis
December 23, 2011 10:41 am

They are a Joke,they both think they are Howard Stern
They know nothing about sports
They are more annoying then Brady
Get rid of them

Tim
May 23, 2012 7:47 am

I don’t care for them, when they come on I switch to the Brian Hayes show on TSN 1050.