Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by Rob G

A horrible story broke at Penn State yesterday involving head coach Joe Paterno’s former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, who was indicted on charges of sexually abusing 8 boys over 15 years.

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN tonight, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown from 4-7pm. Bob’s host from 5-7pm is John Shannon.

TBA

On TSN Radio 1050, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski from 4-7pm.

4:15 – David Branch – OHL Commissioner
4:30 – James Duthie – NHL on TSN Host
4:45 – Rev. Jesse Jackson
5:15 – Bob McKenzie – TSN Hockey Insider
5:30 – Larry Holmes – Former World Heavyweight Boxing Champion
6:00 – Countdown to Faceoff (Panthers vs Leafs Pregame show)

Tonight on Sportsline at 7pm on CHCH, Mark Hebscher and Bubba O’Neil discuss the following:

1. Reflecting on the life and times of Joe Frazier
2. What is going on at Penn State? The program is protecting itself by cancelling a press conference but how can they at a time like this?
3. What’s wrong with the Philadelphia Eagles? Can they still make the playoffs being 3-5 at the halfway point of the season?
4. Should the NHL take Georges Laraque seriously and consider blood testing as a way to protect players?

November 8, 2011 6:07 pm

random thoughts after listening to a ton of podcasts over the last few days:

dear media: stop referring to the Penn State story as a “sex scandal”. Sex scandal connotes the thought that someone was sleeping with the nanny. The scandal here is that someone was sexually abusing children over a period of 10 years. Let’s call this case what it is.

– during a call-in segment Bob suggested that Ron Wilson would have to get heavy duty knee pads for the amount of “sucking up” he would have to do to get invited on to Bob’s show. that’s a mental image i can do without.
– Bob and Becker had a nice pair of segments on Penn State, the lockout and a few other things. Bob was armed with facts and stats, and actually drove most of the interview. Becker is smart, so it was nice to see Bob rise to the occasion.

– Mackowitz and Arthur are fantastic together. Solid opinions, great interactions.

– Someone should tell Hayes that “incestual” is not a word, even when you’re talking about the NCAA.

Bora
Bora
November 8, 2011 6:17 pm

Way too much boxing today on PTS

November 8, 2011 6:50 pm

I agree with Mike in Boston about the Becker double segment yesterday on 590………….it was interesting to listen to

However I disagree with Mike in Boston when it comes to Mackowycz…………I am not a big fan of his…………..when he is together with Bruce Arthur every Monday on 1050 I enjoy Arthur and I tolerate Mackowycz

Alex
Alex
November 8, 2011 8:15 pm

Today, with frazier death, shows why having old guys driving the bus is a good thing. They saw stuff and arent just talking.

I briefly heard someone young on tsn discussing fraziers fights and tuned off.

And did we need an extra day with damion today? I missed it live, thankfully and will skip the pod segment.

Victor
Victor
November 9, 2011 12:01 am

Becker is always good though he does talk fast at times. Always insightful

Ami Angelwings
November 9, 2011 1:20 am

Is something going on w/ Bert Sugar’s health? 🙁 He sounded more fragile today and it seems like his mind was working slowly… it made me worry a little listening to him unable to remember stuff… I mean I know he does talk a little slowly sometimes and reaches for things in his memory, but I often don’t hear him sound like he’s struggling like this, and a couple times he couldn’t even remember something and Bob had to fill him in :\

I hope he’s okay 🙁

Alex
Alex
November 9, 2011 1:21 am

I heard Lester Munson on Dan Lebatard’s show today and realized that I missed the lawyer rotation of he and Becker on Bob’s show.

I was pleasantly surprised how good Charles Davis was discussing the PSU story.

Ami Angelwings
November 9, 2011 1:24 am

The Brunt segment today was SOOOOO good… and apparently he’s back tomorrow! 😀

I agree 100000% with the person who said that we should stop calling this a “sex scandal”. It reminds me of when Bob referred to Eric Tillman assaulting his babysitter as “a sexual indiscretion”… that sounds like he had an affair… -_- This isn’t a sex scandal, it’s a child abuse scandal…

Ami Angelwings
November 9, 2011 3:51 am

I love boxing coverage in general, but esp today, I think it’s understandable that the sports radio shows are talking a lot of boxing isn’t it?

trackback

[…] Source: Toronto Sports Media […]

ken
ken
November 9, 2011 9:15 pm

A couple of thoughts regarding the frustration on local media and TSM.

First the Penn state story was front and center if the source was eminating from the U.S. for example Dan patrick, Rome, Cowherd, CNN, MSN Christ even WGR.
However locally it was nowhere to be seen on the worst sports websites anywhere (TSN, Sportsnet and the FAN590). and local radio.
I know the NCAA is much bigger south of the 49th but this story is bigger than sports and with all due respect to “Smokin Joe” and Mr Laroque should have been front and center not the last segment on the “Eric Smith show”.

As for the current website to which I have been clicking onto daily for the last year…WHY BOTHER!!!…. if you are going to post the drive line-ups when the shows are half over WHY BOTHER!!!!

James
James
November 9, 2011 10:07 pm

Agreed on the Becker segments, it really makes a difference when bob truly engages in a subject. He is always entertaining but when he actually researchs something it propels the interview forward into much more insightful territory.

Don’t understand nitpicking over what a story is labelled as, or about boxing coverage considering it was extremely timely. It’s not like we get much boxing coverage any other time…stuff involving past greats is virtually the only story truly worthwhile nowadays.

UFC as a private enterprise is extremely well run, it has tight presentation, exciting competition, and if you give it a chance is a very technical and interesting sport.

Far less barbaric than boxing, that’s for sure. And they know how to set up titles and matches in stark contrast to the pretty boring boxing world.

ken
ken
November 10, 2011 9:35 am

To TSM: Me thinks me struck a nerve…here’s a thought “Sorry folks no lineups from the radio stations tonight” or maybe listen to the first segment when they give you the lineup and post it that way. just saying..

James
James
November 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Ken you could always start your own site for radio lineups and do it as you say, therefore proving how easy it is.

Then you’d have no reason to be here making insane complaints.

Oh and good luck with finding anyone to actually read them.

ken
ken
November 10, 2011 3:37 pm

To James: As far as people reading it, duh! you did. Also I can see from the earlier respone that TSM read it and that would be all I was looking for.

Also I never once inferred it was easy, but if you wan’t to provide a service provide it.
I am quite sure Mr. TSM is well compensated for the business he is running and like any other good business the public has a right to voice concerns and or comments about the product/service (even if some deem them “insane”…I love how most people who comment online do so without really getting the facts and feel they must attack the other person. Why not just provide an intelligent arguement if you don’t agree).

Pudge72
Pudge72
November 21, 2011 6:01 pm

Ami, sorry for the late reply but I noticed the same thing with Bert Sugar’s conversational skills. He did make reference to being in hospital for 15 days, so he may have had lingering issues with side effects from medication.

What did concern me however, was when he repeated a statement about (I believe) Joe Frazier’s standing as one of the world’s greatest heavyweights, and how it would have been different had one of his losses to Ali gone the other way. He repeated the statement almost verbatim about five minutes after it was first stated.

This sequence reminded me of my conversations with my grandfather in the final two or three years of his life, when he would ask the same question four or five times in the span of ten minutes. For my grandfather, it seemed to fall into the category of age-related dementia, rather than something specific like Alzheimer’s.