Sports On Television This Week, Monday To Thursday Edition

By Dan Levine

Let’s take a quick look at the coming week’s TV Guide and figure out the sports-related fix for each day/night. Feel free to offer up other opinions or options, regardless of how niche the sport or the event may be.

Monday: TSN2 will be showing the full Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremony, as the Hall welcomes Ed Belfour, Doug Gilmour, Joe Nieuwendyk and Mark Howe. For those interested in blowouts, you can also catch the Packers and Vikings on Monday Night Football (TSN, 8:30pm). Side question: Can the Packers go undefeated?

Tuesday: Soccer fans will be excited about the action on Tuesday, as six (actually eight, but I can’t seem to find the Ireland-Estonia match on TV) international squads clash in hopes of qualifying for Euro 2012. First, it’s Turkey traveling to Croatia for the second leg of their play-off (2pm, TSN), needing to win by at least 3 goals to have any chance of advancing (Croatia won the first leg 3-0). The second match features underdogs Bosnia at Portugal (4pm, TSN), after the two squads played to a 0-0 tie in the first leg. A 1-1 draw would be enough for Bosnia to advance (winning the overall on away goals), while either team can advance with a victory. TSN2 will also carry the second leg of Montenegro-Czech Republic (2pm), with the Czechs holding a 2-0 lead. Unfortunately, working folk will have a tough time getting to their TVs for these.

Wednesday: Fans of junior hockey can tune into Game 5 of the Subway Super Series, which features a select group of Russian players facing off with all-star teams from the QMJHL, WHL and OHL. Game 5 will be the first of two matchups with the WHL (8pm, Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet West). Russia actually won the series in 2010, for the first time since the event began in 2003. This year, they knocked off the Q in consecutive games before losing 10-7 to the OHL in Game 3. That was the highest scoring contest in the history of the series, and it keeps the OHL unbeaten against the Russians (16-0). Those squads clash tonight, and another OHL win will make Game 5 a big one in terms of determining the overall winner. No, it doesn’t make up for the recent World Junior collapse against the Russians, but many Canadian fans would appreciate the chance for some revenge here.

Thursday: Golf fans can catch the Presidents Cup on TSN (Foursome matches at 11:30am, 4-ball at 7:30pm), with plenty of storylines surrounding this edition of USA vs The World (minus Europe). For starters, Tiger Woods will be there as a controversial captain’s pick, while former caddie Steve Williams will be there alongside Adam Scott. Meanwhile, several prominent Australians will represent the world team on home soil, while the US squad comes in as heavy underdogs. For NBA fans, this night also represents a pair of could-have-been-great games (Boston vs Orlando and New York vs LA). Oh well.

Of course, the Leafs also play on Tuesday (Phoenix, 7pm, Sportsnet) and Thursday (@Nashville, 8pm, Leafs TV). What do you plan on watching over the next few days? Happy Monday!

-DL

Dave in bolton
Dave in bolton
November 14, 2011 2:41 pm

il watch anything that is not on Sportsnet. that network has to be by far the worst Sports network the constant plugs of Rogers products and mind blowing awful Connected commercials drive me nuts. no thanks il stick to TSN and the Score

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
November 14, 2011 3:36 pm

For me I’ll give MNF a try – there have been some real dogs on MNF this year. I’ll watch some of the soccer later on Tuesday and maybe some President’s Cup golf.

I agree with Davie In Bolton on Sportsnet. Luckily there’s nothing on Sportsnet worth watching this week (the competitive soccer games are on TSN) so hopefully I won’t see more Hazel Mae promos this week

Ticky
Ticky
November 14, 2011 3:59 pm

I don’t know who or what Hazel Mae is, but that commercial “promoting” her during every single ad-break during the hockey last week reconfirmed to me that I never, ever want to watch Connected.

robinaurora
robinaurora
November 14, 2011 4:08 pm

Anything Sportsnet is awful – I will watch a Leaf game, but I’ll tune out that useless Millard and his two idiot sidekicks.
I’ll watch a little MNF and the leaf games – looking forward to the Presidents Cup.

Attention golf fans: Foursome matches are on TSN live wed night at 9:30. (Saw it advertised this AM on Sportscentre). Just double checked:

Another Steve
Another Steve
November 14, 2011 4:41 pm

I never watch this, I always watch that; all of this is bad, none of that is good; everything is awful and nothing is good.

There’s nothing like extreme language (re: anything, never) to kill the validity of an argument.

November 14, 2011 5:53 pm

It’s true.

Deciding you hate everything on a station before you even watch it kind of makes your argument meaningless.

kyle
kyle
November 14, 2011 9:19 pm

also makes you blind to the same failings on your preferred network – i.e. promoting the crap out of the litany of properties they own. Bell is just as bad as Rogers.

Ami Angelwings
November 15, 2011 2:17 am

Brand loyalty to TV stations or radio is v odd to me o_O Wouldn’t you just listen/watch whatever’s good and that you like, rather than devoting yourself to a station and ignoring another regardless of what’s on? xD

Rome
Rome
November 15, 2011 11:11 am

That’s the reason I stop going to Jays game. I haven’t gone to the Dome for a few seasons now. I specifically remember the day I went to the game there was non-stop advertising of their products on every break and it just got to me. I thought, I give them my money and there seems to be more advertising for their products than on TV.

As for Hazel Mae being promoted as this “returning legend”, yeah I don’t get it. The return of Buck Martinez I get. But Hazel not even close to the level of somebody like Jody Vance who had a lot more influence and memorable than Hazel.

William
William
November 15, 2011 2:19 pm

So I assume you’ve stopped going to movies because they run ads there? And stopped watching television and listening to radio because they also have ads? And don’t you dare venture outside — there are advertising billboards there, too.

Il Duce
Il Duce
November 15, 2011 2:33 pm

@Another Steve

Lighten up!! I guess you’re the Validity of an Argument Police of this site.

Josh
November 16, 2011 2:29 am

I’ll watch some of the Presidents Cup for sure. The live coverage in primetime should be fun (and different).

The Ireland match was on Premium Sports, which is available at bars and pubs. It may have been PPV on some providers as well. All Ireland (and England and Scotland) home competitive matches are broadcast this way because of the high cost for rights.

Ami Angelwings
November 16, 2011 7:32 am

Wait, so Rome avoids any place he might run into Rogers stuff? o_O