Sunday Things That Made Me Say Hmmmm

By TSM

While waiting to board my flight for Seattle, the Air Canada gate agent informed us that we would be delayed due to “a minor maintenance issue.” To me, there is nothing minor about a maintenance issue on an airplane.

Hey, did you see who is back? Bob Elliott! You remember Elliott right? Not the one who wrote some truly bizarre articles for the Sun this year. Not the guy who sounded completely disinterested on PTS most of this past baseball season. No, the baseball writer who’s work I truly used to enjoy reading. He has a good article in Monday’s paper on the upcoming off season for the Toronto Blue Jays. It’s worth reading.

Speaking of the Sun, did you happen to catch this from Steve Simmons column today:

“Not saying this because I happen to appear on the station, but sports radio just doesn’t get better than The Dan Patrick Show this past week, with its coverage of the Penn State scandal and Patrick’s calm intelligence ”

I couldn’t agree more. When it comes to BIG sports news stories south of the border, or should we say on all major, non-hockey sports stories, especially those off the field/court Dan Patrick is numero uno. That, by the way isn’t a knock on anyone on local radio. For my money, Patrick is to big sports news what Ted Koppel was to news at the height of Nightline. When a big story breaks, I want to hear who DP has on and what DP has to say. No one in the local market does that, again, on non hockey stories.

A Calgary based reader asked me this the last week, how is it that a sports media critic appears as a guest host on our all sports station and yet criticizes the other network?

I may have mentioned that Doug Gilmour was one of my favorite Maple Leafs of all time. I may have mentioned that in my mind Rosie DiManno’s presence in the Toronto Star sports section is insulting to the other good writers there. When Rosie wrote an article about Gilmour that had as much to do with his hair than anything else, well that just said it all didn’t it? Not sure if you caught the story when it went live, but it said the following in reference to Gilmour’s hair:

“Gotta say, the man gave good head”

Now, about 30 minutes head was changed to follicle but come on, the damage is done. Rosie “The Bus” has no place on the sports scene. End of story.

Seriously, can you imagine if a male sports personality said about a female athlete with flowing “she gave great head”? How long before he were fired? Mistake or no mistake, they’d be done.

Who looked worse at the Leafs game Saturday night? Was it Gilmour or Belfour? The other guys looked great. Gilmour looked like hell and well, Belfour looked like Belfour.

I am no fan of the Montreal Canadiens but they do those pre-game ceremonies so much better than the Leafs do.

If my math is correct the clock is winding down on the Richard Peddie era at MLSE. Has the parade been planned for that yet? It says here that no sports team president should be front and center of their team. Those who strive to be are destined to fail. The best ones excel behind the scenes.

Here’s all I need to know on the subject. His retirement clause apparently includes a ring should any MLSE team win it all within a predetermined amount of time. Always about the show.

Speaking of MLSE, aren’t they for sale or something?

I found it very funny that the Penguins practice was full of NHL reporters on the maybe that Crosby was returning. I find it equally as humorous that numerous Toronto based reporters are now at Penn State university, after the fact, so to speak.

One Toronto MSMer said to me that he wonders if Larry Brooks is calling to call Mrs. Staal to inquire into the health of her kid. I know I am alone on this, but I don’t see the problem with the article in the Star in which a reporter called a players parent to see how the player was feeling. To quote Costanza, “Is that wrong?”

So, Richie Rich is in the market for a new Benz. Not only that, apparently he doesn’t read this website. Can’t say I’m shocked. If I had his stock portfolio listed and he wasn’t reading then I’d be shocked. I’ll say it again, I take Richie Rich over Grapes any day (these days). He’s way more entertaining and makes me laugh all the time.

Happy Monday to you all.

Sam
Sam
November 14, 2011 5:03 am

+1 re Dan Patrick. McCown and Brunt had some good stuff on PTS as well too (the guy who wrote the article six months ago, Fleury).

Ami Angelwings
November 14, 2011 7:23 am

Ugh… why do they keep Rosie around? Does she work for free or something? Like they assign her to EVERYTHING and she always writes crappy articles with big words she doesn’t seem to be sure how to use. -_-;; I remember when Eric Tillman plead to the sexual assault and Dimanno complained that somehow sexual assault laws were patronizing to women, and was acting as if the state had cameras in our home and were arresting people whether or not the victim said that they had been assaulted. -_- Patronizing is if we have NO say, rather than making a law for PEOPLE to use (it’s not just women who are sexually assaulted Rosie -__-)

And her Leafs articles are always just rah rah emotion but outside of that you can’t rly tell if she watched the game or not.

And yeah her “nyah nyah I’m a woman so it’s okay that *I* say it” (no it isn’t >:| ) thing is so bothersome. I remember when she did the “hottest female Olympians” thing and said that her male colleagues could never do it, so she’s gonna do it for them (which sounds insulting to the men too, she’s acting as if the men WOULD, maybe they wouldn’t) and no it’s not okay just cuz she’s a woman -_-

I lump her, Wente, Blizzard and Kay together in one big “the 4 token sexist women of each major Toronto paper” family -_-

robinaurora
robinaurora
November 14, 2011 8:06 am

(Who is Richie Rich? I always thought he meant Richard Peddie.)
Who cares about pre-game ceremonies? I mean really, I want to watch hockey games not ceremonial BS which is what 100% of that stuff is. You want to parade henri Richard out every once in a while when a rink closes or there is a 100th anniversary, go ahead.

A guy would have been fired for making a sexual remark about a woman the way DiManno did in the Gilmour article. She is almost as bad as Dowbiggin in the Globe and they both make their sports sections a joke

kyle
kyle
November 14, 2011 8:33 am

Hey TSM,

my Hmmmm moment from the weekend: off to the hardware store yesterday and flip on the radio. On The FAN it’s the Bills post-game presser, so it’s over to TSN. They have the Bears-Lions game.
About 30 mins later, on the way back home, I listen to a couple minutes of the game, then flip over to the FAN to see what’s on there. Hey it’s another football game. It’s…. the Bears-Lions game.
Huh?
Same call, the FAN a couple of seconds ahead of TSN.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
November 14, 2011 8:48 am

TSM. I really enjoyed your thoughts in this one. Dan Patrick is the conscience of America as far as I am concerned. He did a superlative job covering the Penn State Rape scandal, as I detest when it is referred to as a sex scandal, which does not even come close to an accurate description, nor should it, of what Sandusky did to the countless boys he abused.

Patrick was a master at both showing his disgust for the entire situation, calling out the appropriate people and breaking down their contribution to it one by one, and taking just enough callers to take the pulse of the nation, while interviewing some key insiders and observers to the situation.

Patrick did not devote his entire show to it, and did his best to lighten things up, but news was breaking on it so quickly during the week during his show that more layers to the story were continually being added on.

Patrick’s humanity and ability to keep the victims first and foremost, and not make Paterno the whole story was exemplorary. I can’t say enough on how well he handled everything.

November 14, 2011 9:06 am

DiManno: Don’t Bother – at least that’s what i see when i glance at the Star’s website. TSM, you should email Ormsby and ask her for a comment on Rosie’s “head” comment. It sounds like the sort of thing about which real female sports journalists would be outraged.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
November 14, 2011 9:10 am

TSM, I can’t not comment on Peddie and his despicable clause entitling him to a ring if any of the MLSE franchises wins something (like that is even worth the ink) over who knows how many years.

Peddie has always made himself the face of MLSE, and being a Raptors fan, can only comment intelligently on the basketball side of the ledger, where I heard him way too many times being interviewed on various topics such as the luxury tax, Bosh, the coaching situations, GM situations, Vince Carter, Vince Carter’s Mom, popcorn sales, parking, the weather, the ACC, signing free agents, Charles Oakley, and I am barely touching the surface.

The thing that bugged me more than anything else is how NEVER, and I say never, was actually striving to win a championship or go in that direction a key talking point for him. Profitability for MLSE, all the time. Putting an entertaining product on the floor, sure.

Peddie could not have been more out of touch with the average Raptor fan, and his appearances on the air did nothing but piss us all of. From his glass castle everything was rosy from his perspective as long as MLSE was making money hand over fist.

He only went on the air for ego gratification, and you were well said pointing to the best Presidents are the ones operating behind the scenes steering the ship. His actual basketball knowledge was laughable, and everytime he actually started talking about the Raptors from a basketball perspective he was so out his element it was laughable. Most of the time he stayed on message for him, being how profitable and well MLSE is doing. It was and always will be about him, and all I can say is GOOD RIDDANCE!

Another Steve
Another Steve
November 14, 2011 10:06 am

I enjoy Dan Patrick a lot of the time when I hear him (although the Danettes and McLovin schtick seems really pointless and tiring), so I don’t have anything negative to say there. However, I have long felt that praising TSN for its Dan Patrick programming (not that you did so) is akin to praising Global for its TV line-up. That is, everything is made in the States and there’s nothing original.

Are you referring to Dowbiggin by the reference to the media critic? Where did he appear this time? (He’s on CBC almost every Monday, switching with Ormsby and Brunt, and I usually groan when he is on and Brunt isn’t).

Bob
Bob
November 14, 2011 10:19 am

I watched parts of 2 NFL games on Sportnet on Sunday. I am already tired of Hazel Mae!

drumanchor
drumanchor
November 14, 2011 12:08 pm

TSM,

You mention that Peddie “apparently” has a retirement clause that includes a ring if any MLSE team wins, etc.

How do you know this? Have you seen his agreement with MLSE?

I’m not his biggest fan but when he managed to hire Coangelo and Burke, every – and I mean everyone – believed they were the best hires possible at that time. Personally, I believe it isn’t entirely fair to blame him if they have not delivered yet.

As for Hazel Mae, couldn’t help but notice how the commercials advertising her return to Sportsnet go out of their way to show the size of her boobs.

That’s just low rent. Expected more from, what has appeared to me, a new and more professional Sportsnet.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
November 14, 2011 12:51 pm

Drumanchor, again, only commenting on the Raptors situation, I do agree with you that Colangelo was initially a good hire, as he had built up a suffciently good resume at that time for all Raptor fans to get excited about our future prospects, considering the GM he replaced was Rob Babcock (need I say more).

When Colangelo came on the franchise was in deep disarray, with attendance dropping and the brand suffering in light of the post Carter era and what garbage we got for him. I will give Peddie credit for bringing Colangelo in, but even then, the whole thing was not orchestrated by Peddie, but by Stern himself, who knew that Colangelo was on the outs with the new Phoenix owner, and was looking for a soft landing. With Vancouver losing its team Stern was genuinely concerned at that time that the NBA’s prospects in Toronto was actually under some doubt, and that was the main motivation for him to put a solid GM like Colangelo in Toronto.

How Colangelo was re-upped for a new contract, even for a shorter duration, still mystifies me based on his performance, or lack thereof, on many levels that I have gone into on this website in the past.

The pleasant surprise for me though has been that once Colangelo reluctantly accepted the fact that the Raptors have to be rebuilt, he has done an admirable job in doing so. Given that this is his first true rebuild, he has been on a pretty good run of late. His performance as GM since he got his new contract has been much better. I attribute that to the fact that he is no longer given carte blanche by MLSE, and his new contract was a reality check that he had got to conduct himself differently in order to be successful on the court, and he has of late. Hoping it continues as well once we get NBA basketball back.

robinaurora
robinaurora
November 14, 2011 1:10 pm

Another Steve – Thanks for the warning about Dowbiggin. I am not a fan of violence, but I think if I could punch him and get away with it I would, but I don’t think I could stop.
For those opposed to the DP show – Keep giving Patrick a chance – the show will grow on you. Especially if you like McCown – and I do not, but I used to like him mixing up his topics a bit. Patrik has forgotten more about sports than guys like McCown will ever know and he’s not a know it all curmudgeon who wants everyone to think his opinions are actual facts.

I love the fact the NBA is striking because I am sure they would discuss the NBA way too much for my liking (Not a fan). But they have a great mix of topics – he uses the Danettes as foils (and so the audience isn’t always listening to just him) They have good lines most of the time and can add to the show…He beats the heck out of inferior local programming (TO is focused on Hockey way too much)

robinaurora
robinaurora
November 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Oh and Richie Rich is Doug McLean? (Whatever)… I can’t stand the guy. Like others hate Cherry, I can’t listen to McLean. He messed up for so long in Columbus now he is jumping on the bandwagon trying to get his successor fired. The Jackets are the 1970’s era Habs compared to when he got fired. They are still fixing his blunders down there. They managed to sign Nash long term, traded for Umberger and Carter and signed Wiz-newski(sp) – albeit for two much money. He’s an improvement. It’s the goal tender that’s killing them. Mason is one of McLean’s picks that remains behind and he is ruining this season. If Howson traded Mason like he did That team needs two more years, unfortunately McLean poisoned the fans before he left – there isn’t that much time.

Bob
Bob
November 14, 2011 2:20 pm

Peddie has been quoted as saying he gets a ring if any of the teams win within 3 years of him leaving.

TSM, aren’t you the one that said a few months ago, that the MLSE sale was a done deal? :p

Calling a player’s mother is completely moronic.

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
November 14, 2011 3:23 pm

Margaret Wente had a go at sports writing this past weekend – I guess she’s figures if Rosie can get away with it…

Anyway, in an otherwise interesting – OK semi interesting article – about college sports entitled ‘College football is America’s true religion’ she made the following remark:

The all-time attendance record for a college game was set this fall, when 115,000 people packed Michigan’s gigantic stadium in Ann Arbor to watch the team play Notre Dame. Canada’s passion for hockey pales by comparison. (Attendance at Maple Leafs games in Toronto, which always sell out, averages 19,300.)

Maybe I’m inferring too much here but it seems like she’s saying that just because attendance in the stadium in college football is higher than it is at an NHL arena in Canada college ball is more more important to Americans than hockey is to Canadians. Obviously a sports fan would realize other things need to be taken into consideration when doing such a comparison – number of home games per season, type of arena they play in, TV ratings, etc. It’s the kind of thing a non-sports fan would say.

Another Steve
Another Steve
November 14, 2011 3:49 pm

I used to enjoy Wente’s contrarian viewpoint, but in the past few years she has become very predictable and even lazy in her “journalism.” Two weeks ago, in an attempt to make a point about OWS protest people who study useless subjects, she was caught out making up people. That is, she sat in her office and invented people to fit her narrative.

I can’t remember the last time she wrote something that was intellectually challenging. Just as Maureen Dowd is the cut-and-paste sarcasm guru of the left, Wente tires to fill that same position for the right in Canada. A good, and easy, job, I suppose, if you can get it. But she’s not a serious journalist – that requires research.

robinaurora
robinaurora
November 14, 2011 4:01 pm

TSN 1050 was all congratulatory to Feschuk on air about his interviewing Reimer’s Mom as if it were a brilliant “coup”. I will say, If it was a human interest story, I am OK with it. He was clearly trying to turn the injury to Reimer into an “incident” and he caused embarrassment for Reimer and his employers by exploiting his mother’s obviously friendly and cooperative personality.

Shelby
Shelby
November 14, 2011 5:24 pm

“Gotta say, the man gave good head”

Just what exactly happened here i don’t get it?

November 14, 2011 6:02 pm

“If the leafs want to shut the media out from time to time – especially about injuries, as a fan, I am totally OK with it. There is no “right to know” here None – the media has this sense of entitlement and are always trying to get the fams on their side – this is a sport, these guys compete – This is not the federal government spending our tax dollars where there should be total transparency and the public does have a right to know. The NHL is a sports league, each team is a private business.”

The Star is a private business too. They don’t have any obligation to not pry into the Leafs’ secrets for the sake of the team.

Their job is to dig for news and give it to us. Not to trust the Leafs to tell us what the news is. That would be pretty boring sports journalism.

Ami Angelwings
November 15, 2011 2:01 am

@(Another) Andrew Unless Wente can bend the law of physics, how exactly does she plan to fit 150,000 ppl into the ACC?

I’m sure you can fit more people in Bob McCown’s mansion than in Bruce Arthur’s house for a party, does that prove definitively that more people like Bob? xD Or that all the of the people who can’t fit into Bruce’s house therefore don’t like him? xD (I use Bob just cuz Brunt keeps saying he has a big house… I’d attend his party! 😀 )

Ami Angelwings
November 15, 2011 2:02 am

That should be 115,000 xD

Ami Angelwings
November 15, 2011 2:10 am

That makes the opposite of sense. If anything, you should be more annoyed if the press is bothering grieving family members over a tragedy than over, as you said, sports which aren’t traumatic. But it DOES have import. If not, then the FAN would go out of business, and this blog wouldn’t exist. xD Sports is something a lot of people want to know things about precisely BECAUSE it isn’t life and death. :3

Given that you just made the government comparison, I find it funny that you’re treating the Leafs as if they’re the government and declared something confidential. xD And besides, all they did is call up a player’s mom… if the Star spent a lot of money and manpower to break into MLSE and steal their private documents, that would be both wrong and overboard for a sports story. They dialed a number. And of an adult who consented to the conversation. I wish people would also stop treating Reimer’s mom as if she isn’t an autonomous thinking adult xD I mean some of the callers to Blair’s show were acting like she was either a child or close to senility xD