Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

MLB today announced the addition of 2 more wild card teams, and it could occur as early as 2012.

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN tonight, Prime Time Sports (4-7pm) with guest host Jeff Blair. Damien Cox co-hosts from 5-7pm:

4:00 Alan Ashby, Blue Jays colour analyst
4:20 Neil Pollack, author of Jewball
4:40 Alex Anthopoulos, Blue Jays GM
5:00 Doug McLean, Sportsnet
5:20 Jon Montgomery and Melissa Hollingsworth, IN STUDIO
6:00 David Samson, Miami Marlins president
6:20 Joe Theismann
6:40 John Shannon, Sportsnet, on breaking news of Wayne Gretzky potentially being part of the new ownership group of MLSE

On TSN Radio 1050, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski (4-7pm). James’s co-host is Bob Mackowycz:

415 – David Branch (OHL Commissioner)
430 – James Duthie (NHL on TSN)
445 – Jon Montgomery in studio (Canadian Olympic Gold Medalist)
515 – Bob McKenzie (NHL on TSN)
530 – John Axford (Closer, Milwaukee Brewers – from Port Dover, ON)
545 – Tony Kornheiser (PTI)
600 – Darren Dreger (NHL on TSN)
630 – Lamond Murray (former Toronto Raptor forward)

On TSN at 5pm and TSN2 at 6:30pm, Off the Record, with guest host Cabral Richards:

Warren Moon
Jamie McLennan

Tonight on Sportsline:

TBA

Bob
Bob
November 17, 2011 7:46 pm

Topic #2

PTS had Joe Theismann on, discussing Tim Tebow ‘s throwing mechanics, and then showed several clips of him handing off the football but not one of him throwing. Is Sportsnet run by media school students? What boneheads!

Another Steve
Another Steve
November 17, 2011 8:21 pm

re: “Your Doctor is not allowed to give out medical information based on ethics, why should a reporter or anyone else?”

I don’t understand the logic of the above comment.

mario
mario
November 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Lets see how long it will take TSN to deny or put there own spin on the gretzky part ownership group.. they always seem to do it when they don’t break a hockey story when SN dose…

Bob
Bob
November 17, 2011 9:53 pm

In response to “Another Steve” please explain what you don’t understand, Maybe I should try to clarify. The ethic between a doctor and his or her patient’s condition is between the doctor and patient. The patient may then tell family members or whoever they choose what their condition may or not be. The media , should not, in my view, circumvent those principles, to sell newspapers. If that is not clear, then I am sorry, but I stick with my opinion.

Another Steve
Another Steve
November 17, 2011 10:29 pm

Bob – thanks for the explanation, but I respectfully disagree. I won’t try to change your opinion, so please let me simply state how I see it.

There are privacy laws to which the media – and all people – are subject. The media, however, is allowed to ask questions and it is completely ethical if a member of the media identifies himself/herself and the information is given freely. Of course, you may think that this is not ethical, but it is legal (to my knowledge, at any rate).

As we both know, these are not state secrets. Rather, this is a sports team that has been covering up the extent of a concussion that its star goaltender received. In my opinion, a question asked of his mother – “how is your son doing?” – is especially legitimate when the Leafs are being so churlish with their information.

How many members of the public knew that Reimer had previous concussions? One can argue that the team is a private company, but I think they are in fact a bit of a public institution, since they depend so much the interest of the public. Sports is our collective diversion, we like to know about the health of our players, and it irks when Burke/Wilson get so mealy-mouthed about the truth. This would have been so easy to fix: they could have simply said “we think he has a concussion and, because of his previous experiences, we just really want to be cautious.”

As I said, there can’t be an invasion of privacy when a person welcomes you inside (i.e. gives you information). My feeling is that if you want to keep things private, then you should neither give out that information nor should you work in the kind of profession which requires the public to be interested in your health.

For example, tt is not in the interest of the public for the papers to report on the health of most of the people who read this blog. What we do is not relevant to the public – and that would be just strange. However, so many people care about the Leafs – and the Leafs count upon that concern – that the team should respect the public’s interest in the health of their players.

Again, it’s a matter of a hockey injury, not an inquiry into his private life. People want to know how soon he will be able to play. They care – and the team should respect that people care.

Anyway, this is ultimately just a goofy sports story and good for a little bit of fun, so let’s just say that we have a difference of opinion.

Clearly the journalist had a legal right to compose this story, so I think we just disagree on whether the story should have been written ethically, and ultimately that’s just a difference of opinion.

I honestly can’t believe I wrote so much about this theme. Sorry for this – it’s probably due to being over-tired and watching a rather boring football game.

Bobby G
Bobby G
November 17, 2011 10:42 pm

There was no ethical violation and no comparison to asking a player’s children. Reimer’s mom is adult and as such, she can speak to whomever she pleases. How “media savvy” do you need to be to hang up the phone?
As for the doctor-patient confidentiality, that wasn’t violated in the slightest. It isn’t even comparable.
The organization can say whatever it wants about injuries. If it chooses to be vague, it is the media’s ethical imperative to dig deeper for real answers.
No one is bound to take Brian Burke’s word for anything.
I, for one, am thankful to live in a town where there are multiple news organizations vying for stories and not willing to take the word of anyone within the Leafs organization without verification.
Thank god they want to sell newspapers.

Mike
Mike
November 17, 2011 11:22 pm

Guaranteed people who love to kiss the NHL’s ass like Darren Dreger and scumbags like Steve Simmons who TSN continually to pays as so called “Insiders” and “Anaylists” respectivley will deny the story. They want to make sure that they crap all over it just like they did when Stephen Brunt broke the Winnipeg story in the summer…. Saw some insight from Sportsnet’s Marty McSorley earlier where he suggested that this is not a done deal or close but that Wayne would definetly be interested….. I give it to tomorrow where Darren Dreger will go on with Mike Richards on TSN Radio and crap all over the story….

design guy Paul
design guy Paul
November 17, 2011 11:25 pm

@Bob
Interesting how you find it unacceptable for a newspaper reporter to contact a players mother because that players team didn’t tell the truth, yet you type a deeming comment about a female sports media body. In both cases you are wrong.

Ami Angelwings
November 18, 2011 4:36 am

“I guess I am in the minority, but I believe the Star was absolutely out of line by contacting the goaltenders mom. Your Doctor is not allowed to give out medical information based on ethics, why should a reporter or anyone else? Then again using “media reporters” in the same sentence as ethics is laughable. I am sure the players Mom is an intelligent and nice lady, but is she media savvy? What next, do reporters stalk school yards looking for player’s children to ask them “where does Daddy hurt?
To the MSM, be careful where you go! Hazel Mae seems to have had some upper body enhancements, is it fair game to go after her old boy friend’s to find out? Some work for the network. All should be fair game.”

If you think it’s a story to know that about Hazel Mae and your newspaper thinks it’s a story to run with it go ahead. I don’t know what you think should happen to you if you ask her boyfriends. And they don’t have to talk to you, but go ahead. xD

Should the media ONLY talk to media trained people? This is a disturbing path to start going on. Why even bother having a news media? Just have a “newspaper” that publishes the PR releases from every company then. xD Are you against the media talking to fans on the street too? Restaurant owners? Exactly who ARE they allowed to talk to?

Also, stop patronizing Reimer’s mom. She’s an adult woman. She’s a hockey mom, she’s been involved in James’ career for his whole life (unless you think only his dad had anything to do with helping him get to games, etc and all she did was give birth to him), and she’s an autonomous human being, and from the article she sounds pretty bright and articulate. Let HER decide if she wants to talk to the media, not James. She’s not a child and he’s not her guardian, and the Leafs especially aren’t.

Also the doctor example makes no sense. Clergy aren’t allowed to disclose anything you tell them, therefore the same rules apply to everybody? If you ask my doctor they can’t tell you if I have a tumour, but if I tell my friends, they can definitely tell you. If they did so and I didn’t want them to, that’s between me and them, there shouldn’t be any rules that stop people from asking.

“What next, do reporters stalk school yards looking for player’s children to ask them “where does Daddy hurt?”

Tell me you understand the difference between underage children and adults and the ability to consent without a guardian? xD

I’m wondering something in general (I alrdy know what your answer after the fact is going to be, so I’m asking about the general reaction and what people here think), if the Leafs didn’t make a stink out of this and go “THIS IS OUT OF LINE”, would any fans actually blink at this? It’s only because the almighty Maple Leafs said we shouldn’t that people nod and go “yes sir, we shouldn’t.”

Ami Angelwings
November 18, 2011 4:46 am

I’m hoping next time TSM mentions that a member of his family is sick, Bob shows up and blows a gasket, otherwise he wouldn’t be being consistent with his ideas that we should all be held to doctor standards. xD

Alex
Alex
November 18, 2011 4:27 pm

Sportsnet is becoming ESPN like with their beating of stories into the ground.

How many segments today will 590 have on the new uniform?

Also, I expect plenty of flaming later, when people start listening to the Blair, Cox, Shannon, Wilner round table today.