Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

By TSM

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

On 590 with Greg Brady and Jim Lang:

8:00am Darren Dreger & Jamie McLennan
8:15am Russell Peters
8:30am Joey Graham

Bob
Bob
November 21, 2011 10:20 am

In Blair’s interviews with Beeston and Darren Rovell on Friday’s PTS, he suggested that the Blue Jay’s new uniforms should help boost revenues. Both kind of danced around that suggestion and did not comment, when both should know that as part of MLB’s revenue sharing all teams split revenue from licensed merchandise equally at 3% for each team. For the 2009 or 2010 season Yankee’s made up 27.5% of total sales, Red Sox 8.3%, Phillies 8.0%, Cubs 7.1%, Tigers 6.9% and down from there. The Blue Jays were near the bottom at less than 1%. I don’t understand why they were hiding the fact that Toronto was handsomely rewarded by other teams sales. Especially since these figures came from a Darren Rovell column.

I am a Tigers fan but I love the new uniforms.

Another interesting article from the Star on Sunday, Cathal Kelly wrote that Verlander would probably win the MVP because the position players that were under consideration didn’t finish the season strongly. Miguel Cabrera had a huge September hitting .429 and wining the AL batting title. It is amazing that some of these columnists actually get paid for the crap that they write.

Shelby
Shelby
November 21, 2011 10:41 am

Heard Jeff Marek on with Blair this morning and feel that Marek is being misused by Sportsnet. He should have been given the 12-4 or 1-4 slot instead of the 2 clowns they got coming in.

Marek might as well have just signed with TSN for the 4-7 show.

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
November 21, 2011 11:23 am

Shelby i totally agree with you on Marek but after all this is Sportsnet by far the worst network in Canada. nothing more then a joke everything Roger’s media touches is crap. they distroyed CityTV and Sportsnet is no exception.
I hope Roger’s sell’s their media assets they have no bussness being in the TV/Radio industry. The only good thing about the Fan/SN is Bob McCown and hope he eventually jumps to TSN1050. hey after all they got Hazel Mae now thats a real winner lol

William
William
November 21, 2011 11:24 am

Dude… he hosts a nightly show at 11 pm, plus intermissions for their regional hockey games (Canucks/Sens/Flames/Oilers). The guy is probably working more now than he ever did in his life.

Another Steve
Another Steve
November 21, 2011 11:44 am

Years ago, on the TV-show M*A*S*H (yes, I am dating myself), there was a plane that they referred to as “5 o’clock Charlie,” which was an enemy pilot who bombed the wrong spot every day at 5 o’clock. I like to think of Dave as “5 o’clock Dave”: that is, at some point in the day a statement will come from him in which he tells all of us us how Rogers provides the worst media in the history of the world and that it is destined to fail because it is the worst in the world at what it does.

Then again, perhaps “Tokyo Rose” might be a better comparison…

Anyway, I do find it amusing all the same.

November 21, 2011 12:40 pm

Rob Neyer over at SBN has a funny article pointing out that Beeston basically said the same thing about the new uniforms that Godfrey said back in 2003 when those uniforms were introduced.

i would be completely bereft of sports talk without podcasts. i’m willing to be a day or two behind in exchange for skipping commercials, sifting the crap interviews from the ones that are worthwhile, and being able to listen at my convenience.

itchy butt
itchy butt
November 21, 2011 1:05 pm

Bob said….”A podcast for earplug wearing teenagers give me a break! Podcast’s become boring old news within hours. ”

Wow…..I guess I am an earplug wearing 47 year old? Podcasts are a wonderful thing. There is such a wide variety of them available too. And most of them for free!

Oh well….better go back to yelling at clouds…..

Shelby
Shelby
November 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Marek is good radio talent who should be on the radio during one of the timeslots i already mentioned and not doing silly Podcast’s and late night TV after 11pm after everyone has retired to bed before work early next morning.

Some people also need to get their head around the fact that Robbers is a corporate bully of a company despised by many for their constant bilking of customers via nickle and dime price increases and their horrid customer service reps who take the meaning of incompetence to a whole new level.

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
November 21, 2011 1:46 pm

agree with SHELBY those Robbers are something else in fact i own nothing to do with them. switched to everything Bell phone/internet and Shaw Direct. Robbers can take Sportsnet and shove it I go to TSN for all Sports. thank god for NHL Centre Ice because I watch the other team broadcast when the leafs are on Shitnet. Hazel Mae needs to do the news naked for me to watch that crappy network.

Brad
Brad
November 21, 2011 3:24 pm

Could Hazel Mae please dress a little more appropriate to host a sports news show???
C’mon, there is NO NEED at all for her to be wearing those dresses! This is a sports news show, not a freaking modeling session!
The other female hosts dress appropriate, time for Mae to do the same.
I still CANNOT believe that the she was the big news coming to Sportsnet!

Shelby
Shelby
November 21, 2011 3:48 pm

Thanks and speaking of Robbers here’s some more news re their corporate greed. Effective November 1st Robbers cancelled one of the few really good specialty HD channels they had in HDNET. For those who never checked out HDNET it was a very cool channel in HD that featured concerts, great docu’s, movies and hot babe shows and i know for a fact Robbers had a lot of complaints re their decision. In fact here’s the response i got from HDNET’s billionaire owner regarding Robbers decision…

“We cut our price to Rogers significantly. We are just a small network
and Rogers doesnt give a shit about indie networks…”

HDNET is right Robbers doesn’t care about offering it’s customers channels they actually enjoy it’s always all about the bottom line. Robbers makes around a Billion dollars a year in net revenue yet they always want more.

And a heads up that Bell has finally made some management changes and are now offering better tv, internet and phone packages than Robbers.

Shelby
Shelby
November 21, 2011 3:53 pm

thank god for NHL Centre Ice because I watch the other teams broadcast when the leafs are on Shitnet…

Now there’s a great idea for those of us who find MLSE’s stable of spin doctors like Greg Millen & Bob McGill utterly un-listenable.

November 21, 2011 4:08 pm

Is it safe to say at this point that the calling it ‘Robbers’ instead of ‘Rogers’ joke has run it’s course?

(Not to mention Sportsnot, Shitnet, sportsshit, the maple laughs and whatever else…)

November 21, 2011 4:12 pm

Yeah – I also now listen to podcasts far more than over the air radio. It’s kind of gotten to the point where I don’t really care when a show is on now. I download it anyway. It’s actually pretty great.

Also – I used to be in the car around lunch a lot, and would be irritated that there were only the hockey shows available at that time. With having shows on podcast, now I don’t really care. It’s all much better.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone more loyal to a brand than Dave. I get the feeling that even if TSN’s exact programming was on Sportsnet, he would still hate Sportsnet.

Bob
Bob
November 21, 2011 5:01 pm

To Itchy Butt.
I never said a word about podcasts. Have another scratch and buy better soap!

patrick
patrick
November 21, 2011 5:05 pm

This is the dumbest comment section in blog history

itchy butt
itchy butt
November 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Oh shit! Sorry! 🙂

Bob
Bob
November 21, 2011 7:11 pm

Itchy. Apology accepted. Butt, why would you be wanted to be known by that handle?

itchy butt
itchy butt
November 21, 2011 7:17 pm

Originality……..and a grain of truth!

Ami Angelwings
November 22, 2011 12:54 am

“What exactly is Marek doing at Sportsnet? A podcast for earplug wearing teenagers give me a break! Podcast’s become boring old news within hours. ”

Hey, what’s wrong with earplug wearing young ppl? -_- I’m a podcaster! I listen to ALL the shows on podcasts because I’m not around a radio most of the time. But I can listen to them when I’m on the subway, or when I’m cooking, or working out :3 What do you mean “boring old news”? I enjoy listening to the opinions and interviews… I don’t expect podcasts to break news.

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
November 22, 2011 2:26 pm

yup Marek is being missused just like tim and sid will be.

Darren
Darren
November 22, 2011 6:08 pm

Any freaking idea when Tim & Sid begin @ the Fan?

James
James
November 23, 2011 1:32 am

Podcasts re becoming more and more popular. To hate on them for…no real reason is ignorant and shows you haven’t even tried one, and actually probably don’t even know how to.

I know I prefer to listen anywhere, any time, and without any commercials…

They put them up within like a half hour of broadcast usually at most…most shows are relevant until about 18-24 hours have passed at the least, and the majority have value for days after.

Also, god forbid a woman dress anything but super conservatively, you guys sound like horrified prudes at some uptight church. I should warn you not to turn on tv past 7 at night or you will be shocked by the vulgarity, or on American news channels any time of day, and HBO is the devil!

It’s sports tv and the target audience is men, who generally don’t mind attractive women. In fact women being less than modest makes more sense than on most types of news channels.

Why exactly is there even a complaint about this?

James
James
November 23, 2011 1:41 am

Couldnt agree more with you Daniel.

I don’t understand boycotting one network, seems really close-minded.

But what makes less sense is continuously watching the network I hate, then proceeding to complain about it and make up extremely lame and tired insults. I guess I couldn’t justify wasting my time and embarrassing myself like this.

And it somehow never stops.

On Marek, I dislike his shows for some reason, I don’t find him very insightful although he has decent presence and likability i suppose.

I actually just stopped my hockey central podcast with him replacing the normal team and never listened to it.

Note on today’s PTS, the segment with a British guy I think about some soccer guy in some sort of trouble…I found it unlistenable.

The guy basically went on without bob or cox saying or asking anything for about 7 min, and it took almost the full segment for me to even hear an overview of what they were talking about, I skipped ahead and this guy droned on for the whole segment except the last minute or two where bob asked a couple questions that actually were legible and mace some sense.

Utter waste of time and first PTS segment in a lOng time I really hated and couldn’t listen to, luckily I had podcast so I could skip it.

But then the rest of the show was really good, mcsorley was an entertaining interview, and in general the stuff on Sid as well.