All The World’s A Twitter

By TSM

Thanks to Mike S for passing this along:

“Simmons claims that Burke (who recently joined Twitter) and Wilson have blocked him…………..but they both deny doing that…………..it’s possible they are right since Simmons often doesn’t seem to understand exactly how Twitter works…………….here is what Burke and Wilson wrote:

Burke: “To set the record straight, I have not blocked anybody #getyourfactsstraight”

Wilson: “Amazing, I have not blocked Simmons, but I certainly don’t follow him, nor do I care if he follows me. #arrogance”

So, what do you think about Wilson and Burke being on Twitter?

I’d love to know what the Leafs PR team thinks.

I’ll tell you this, neither guy would let anyone other than them post on the account, so I assume it’s fully genuine. As for blocking, I would be surprised if either guy blocked Simmons, in fact I would think that part of the reason they are actually on twitter is to comment on article and tweets made by those like Simmons.

So, some of you have been asking about changes at TSN radio. I am told there were some today, but only on the sales side.

I’ve said it a million times, TSN radio aint going anywhere soon. The numbers will come up, all in due time.

I was asked the other day about Maple Leafs radio rights and why they matter.

Here’s the answer:

To a station like the Fan they don’t matter all that much.

To TSN they are a game changer. Remember, until recently there has been no reason for people to have 1050 on their presets. If the Leafs go to TSN, people will add it. Odds are good that if you listen to the game on the way home, you will listen to that channel when you get in the car in the AM too. So the Leafs matter to TSN a lot.

That’s why they matter to the Fan too. Call it a defensive move if you like. They will offer the farm for the radio rights (denials and all).

None of this matters if Teachers ever sell their shares.

Happy turkey day to those who observe.

To the rest, good luck in your Thursday NFL games.

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
November 24, 2011 12:30 am

yup hope the leafs end up on TSN and not with the robbers

mario
mario
November 24, 2011 3:39 am

First let me start by saying I do not work or have no interest in either company. Why is it that a very high majority of followers of TSM blog like to bash Rogers? Is not Bell bigger than Rogers?They offer the same services at probaly the same prices and ripe and gouge consumers the very same way as Bell. Yet no one ripes Bell the same way? Now I live in southeren Ontario were Rogers is really not avaibale other than for wireless cell and home phones.Cable is pretty much out of the question here. All my services are with Cogeco except my cell is with Koodos{cheaper)because in my oppinion one is no better than the other..Had Rogers and left.
.As for sports content TSN is far superior than SN because they have been around longer and are very good at it. It will be a long time for SN to catch up to TSN but are making strides I feel. On the radio side its the other way around where TSN is chasing SN. Now I what watch and listen to both but tend to lean a bit more to SN and the Fan.. No particular reason just enjoy it more for there content and the on air staff good and bad.
Who ends up owning MSLE be it Rogers or Bell (probably neither) all rights will go to ends up with them. As for now its anyone guess but its funny to watch them both try to one up each other in hopes of getting the rights..

mario
mario
November 24, 2011 3:49 am

Or is it because Rogers actually own a sports team ( Jays) and have not won anything in a long time and fans are just taking it out on them…

Another Steve
Another Steve
November 24, 2011 10:16 am

On a more mature note, good post Mario.

design guy Paul
design guy Paul
November 24, 2011 10:43 am

@Dave in Bolton
YES we understand that you are not a fan of anything Rogers. We all get it. Please stop posting your multiple daily rants against a company on this blog as it adds nothing to the conversation and just makes you look like very immature and petulant.
Thanks for your understanding.

itchy butt
itchy butt
November 24, 2011 11:30 am

For a non-Rogers fan, he watches/listens to enough of their product.

itchy butt
itchy butt
November 24, 2011 11:31 am

Hey! Maybe we can start calling Bell “Smell”!!!! Smell!!! Get it??? LOLZ!!! 😉

robinaurora
robinaurora
November 24, 2011 12:41 pm

Question: If I own the Raptors, I will have serious questions to the radio rights holder if they get the Leafs’ radio rights too. (I will want to know which team gets their game on your station if there is a conflict?).

However as MLSE owns both teams, they will want to have competition for the Leafs’ rights in hopes of a bidding war. If one station (The FAN) gets both, one of their teams will get shafted – in this market it will obviously be the Raptors. If the FAN gets both AND they already have the Jays in spring and fall, how will that work?

And to address an earlier post: Rogers sucks more than Bell. Rogers has been shafting customers on cell and cable charges long before Bell entered either market. I am not fond of the word “hate” – and while I don’t like some of Bell’s services – I absolutely HATE anything Rogers has their hand in on….Bell have done a good job or at least have acquired some reputable businesses over time and have done a good job running them

November 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Yeahhh, I’ll agree with you guys. Just generally disliking The Fan regardless of what they do because you dislike Rogers makes your opinions on this board pretty pointless – and boring. This is a sports media board, not a ‘criticize a corporation’ board.

“It’s because Rogers sounds like “robbers” and that’s what passes for wit in some minds.” haha +1

Rob – my understanding is that Raptors rights have been going year to year in the recent past. I would think MLSE would have an understanding between Leaf bidders that the winner of Leafs rights couldn’t also have Raptor rights. There’d just be too many conflicts (I’d think). My guess is that if The Fan gets the Leafs – then TSN Radio will pick up the Raptors, and vice versa. Even if Rogers buys MLSE, I would think they might sell off Raptor radio rights. There just isn’t room, and TSN would probably be happy with a play by play property beyond the Argos. And Rogers would probably be happy with the exposure that the Raptors would get over there.

November 24, 2011 2:28 pm

As for Leafs radio rights – they definitely seem to be a double edged sword.

It obviously costs a premium to call yourself ‘the home of the Leafs’ because it’s such an iconic, popular franchise. However, from reading this blog and other sports media articles, it seems that Leafs play by play on the radio isn’t necessarily the huge ratings draw that it is on TV (I think that’s likely due to the fact hockey doesn’t necessarily translate that well on radio).

In fact, I recall McCown saying that The Fan didn’t really become sustainable as a station until it got out from under the huge weight of the Leafs pbp contract, and invested in on air talent instead.

Don Mandrie
Don Mandrie
November 24, 2011 3:13 pm

We already get “Colie” & “Burkie” on a regular basis on The Fan. Imagine if they actually got the Leafs rights?

November 24, 2011 3:45 pm

happy US thanksgiving everyone. to celebrate i present this awesome pic in all its hipster glory from a TSM post from a little over a year ago (or maybe it’s 2 years … who cares!). at least the good old days live on in the related links.

Bob
Bob
November 24, 2011 4:27 pm

Anyone who blocks, deletes, ignores, or in any other way dismisses Simmons is alright with me. Simmons is the most obnoxious writer in the Toronto Media! Why you may ask? I am going a long way back here, but in his Sunday columns, where he thinks he is funny and clever, He has suggested (three different times) that Zane Smith, Trott Nixon and Randy Johnson were ugly men. I have no idea how a guy looks has any implication on how he performs on the field of play! It is grossly unfair.

I don’t think Simmons has ever been on the cover of GQ or has been a centerfold in Playgirl. If I am wrong please enlighten me. My guess is that he was separated at birth with “Jaba the Hut”

And to the Sun, That is why I cancelled years ago. Now quit calling me! I won’t renew while he is there.