Not The Least Bit Interested

By TSM:

In case you missed it, there’s talk tonight of another NHL team in Toronto tonight. There’s a story on the cover of the Toronto Sun. There was banter on the Fan. All the papers are chiming in. I am telling you now, I have zero interest in discussing it or giving it any merit whatsoever. If some loons want to build a 300 million arena in Marham without a tenant, I wish them well.

Truth be told, this is nothing more right now than useless banter.

It’s hard to believe how it easy it is to get coverage in this town!

No, I am not linking to the stories. When there is a shovel in the ground I promise I will cover it.

Has anyone else been watching Off The Record on TSN lately? Not sure what’s new, but man is it not the most improved show in sports?

Do you remember those old Jim Kelley (may he rest in peace) ads for the Mariott hotel? Richie Rich’s new Mercedes ads are actually worse. Hard to believe.

Driving to Detroit tomorrow for USA turkey day!

dsscpu
dsscpu
November 23, 2011 12:15 am

TSM, if driving down here to Windsor, consider booting off at the Dougal extension instead of taking HCR to the Bridge… construction is about to gear up for the Parkway expansion…

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
November 23, 2011 12:16 am

never never never never never going to happen! if Hamilton can’t get a team no way in hell will Markham get a team. hope they enjoy watch JR hockey because that’s all their gonna get

November 23, 2011 12:43 am

Even though I know this is probably media hype – I have to admit that I will ALWAYS read a story about Toronto getting a 2nd NHL team or NFL team. I fully admit I’m a sucker about it.

I imagine I’m not the only one, and that’s probably why we see this every 6 months or so!

PBI
PBI
November 23, 2011 2:30 am

I’m one of those suckers, Daniel.

Just because it is unlikely to happen doesn’t mean it’s not worth discussing or should be immediately dismissed. I understand the amount of power MLSE/Maple Leafs wield in NHL circles and they would probably never let another team open up shop in Southern Ontario but it will always make for an interesting story because you have a league (that for whatever reason) is so against another team in a wealthy, hockey loving area populated by 12 million people while it’s trying its best to make franchises in Nashville, Columbus, Phoenix, Southern Florida, etc. work.

As a hockey market, Southern Ontario shouldn’t be viewed differently by the NHL than the Tri-State Area or Southern California is and that’s why even without any substance, this will always be an interesting story because of how implausible it is that there aren’t multiple teams here.

Enjoy your trip to Detroit, TSM, tell them you know Greg Brady.

James
James
November 23, 2011 2:35 am

I’d love it to happen and I am sure I’ll see it In my lifetime, which is to say within like 50 years.

It makes too much sense, but of course it won’t happen in the next few years…

@Dave

Not sure what your point is, as its flat out wrong to say Hamilton couldn’t get a team.

Hamilton wasn’t turned down, Jim balsilliie was.

And the truth is that he cost himself the team. Jim though he was bigger than the NHL, and that he was too big for their rules.

Essentially, if he has simply done as they asked we probably would have another team in southern Ontario by now.

Instead he tried to circumvent the NHL, other owners, GMs, etc and just use money to buy what he wanted, when he wanted.

In fact, there was a foolproof plan/rules laid out for him to follow that would have 100% led to a team in Hamilton or wherever the hell he wanted for that matter.

Buy the team, sit on them for a few seasons,, THEN move them at will, of course with the goodwill of NHL.

If balsillie wasn’t such a pompous egomaniacal maroon we’d have another team here now. And actually going back further, if i remember right wasnt the first team he tried for going to be the penguins?

Imagine that we had Crosby in gta? THAT might be the leaf-killer if there ever could be one,

Tangent: cox brought up how some of the media guys were discussing if crosbys return would have been as big a story if he wasn’t canadian.

Well obviously without Olympic efforts and the like he wouldn’t be so huge here. However it would still be hugely over covered here especially in comparison to the USmedia. I think if it was Ovie it’d be comparable, for example.

However I couldnt believe no one brought up the obvious extension of this topic:

What would coverage of Sid be like if he was American?

I think that would be THE biggest thing to happen for NHL since Gretzky, if not bigger. As in, the first real chance since then to grow the sport. A chance to gain actual mainstream coverage and national tv deals, etc.

It made me start imagining/wishing sort of that Sid was amercian, as I think that by now he could have been a truly recognizable athlete in the states, and maybe even more impactful than gretzky (seeing as he would be american). He would be pushed like nothing else, and definitely would be considered the best in world by a longshot by the media, etc.

Would have been neat to see that’s for sure.

itchy butt
itchy butt
November 23, 2011 6:32 am

Going by how Balsillie is running RIM, the NHL made a brilliant move.

Dok
Dok
November 23, 2011 8:12 am

ONe of the reasons OTR is improved is the hiring of Aaron Bronsteder from the Score as the guest booker. There have been some great “gets” since he started

Rome
Rome
November 23, 2011 8:57 am

I haven’t watched OTR regularly since Mackowycz left. But if it changed direction again recently I might give it a chance again.

Not intersted also in new NHL team coming to town. Now for an NFL team coming to town stories, my ears always perk up.

November 23, 2011 9:20 am

cross-posting from a different thread, since there is more action over here:

Simmons had an interesting segment on the Cybulski show the other day where he talked about the fact that both Burke and Wilson have blocked him from their Twitter feeds. I’m not a fan of his writing, but i thought he handled the segment really well, clearly laying out why the Leafs are in the wrong here. I’d be happy to read a TSM take on this story. It seems like Brian Burke relishes bullying people, which is a little sad frankly.

trackback

[…] Toronto Maple Leafs signed their second first round 2011 National Hockey League (NH more… Not The Least Bit Interested – Toronto Sports Media – torontosportsmedia.com 11/23/2011 Toronto Sports MediaNot The Least Bit InterestedToronto […]

November 23, 2011 10:15 am

on the subject of journalistic troll-bait, Robert McLeod (3rd string baseball writer for G&M) has a story about how it’s time to admit that the Kessel trade was a good one. If it’s ok with you Bob i’m going to wait for more than 22 games to call that one. I understand the Globe has lost a lot of writers recently, but this is pretty embarrassing.

November 23, 2011 10:30 am

I think the 2nd NHL/NFL coming to Toronto stories are so interesting because if either came about they’d really change the sports landscape here.

I mean how crazy would the rivalry be between two Toronto NHL teams? How would fan lines be drawn up?

From a population/wealth of population point of view, I think you can make the argument that Toronto is underserved, team-wise. Smaller American cities with far less vibrant economies have 4 major teams to Toronto’s 3.

I’d probably rather see an NFL team if it came down to one or the other, but a second NHL team would be fascinating.

design guy Paul
design guy Paul
November 23, 2011 11:17 am

I have to agree with Mike in Boston about the bullying reference. Since day one in Toronto, about 3 years to the day, he has tried to bully the media and prove that he is always the smartest guy in the room and/or the hockey world. I simply cannot take any Burke says at face value as most things he tells the media is couched as deceit. ie “James Reimer does not have a concussion, he has concussion-like symptoms”.

As for the NFL vs NHL team coming to TO, the NHL is a definite possibility within 5 years. The NFL on the other hand would cost many $Billions (purchase/franchise fee for team, build new stadium, pay off local governments for tax concessions etc.) and the simple fact that Toronto is no where on the NFL’s radar…

Warren Z
Warren Z
November 23, 2011 11:56 am

The Burke thing is interesting, because I’m a huge fan of the Premier League, and part of me thinks Burke is trying to turn into Sir Alex Ferguson. Yes, I know, Ferguson’s United has won pretty much everything, while the Leafs, well… but still, the similarities are interesting.

One of the things Ferguson does best, especially when the going gets tough, is to create a siege mentality within his team. That the world, and especially those f*ckers from the media (his words, not mine– http://redrants.com/the-sir-alex-ferguson-page/– quote 14), is conspiring against them. When Cox wrote the column about the Leafs trying to control the message, I smiled because that’s what United does 24/7– there’s the official line, and that’s that. Fergie’s obsessive in controlling every part of United, and as much as it stands in the way of journalists trying to get to the truth… well, it’s been working. If a reporter tries to, say, phone up the mother of a United player and dig up a story, believe me, Burke will look like Mother Teresa comparing to how Fergie will react.

So Fergie is as much, if not more, of a bully as Burke. That’s the persona I think Burke is going for, except I think Ferguson is a lot better at it as I think he’s more calculated than Burke. Burke, more often than not, seems genuinely vindictive and cantankerous, whereas now more and more I don’t buy Ferguson’s act because I think/know it’s all a calculated act to get some reaction from his team, or take the pressure off of them. Basically, I think Ferguson knows the game and plays it, whereas Burke really takes it personally. Plus, as much as Sir Alex pisses off the journalists, from time to time he still dangles a carrot or two at them to prevent them from revolting, which isn’t something I can see Burke doing.

By the way, TSM, if you haven’t yet, gotta check out the Fly Trap in Detroit– amazing food.

Warren Z
Warren Z
November 23, 2011 11:58 am

Whoops, didn’t mean to include those 2 dashes in the link.

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
November 23, 2011 12:32 pm

yes NFL in toronto, don’t want to see a second team in Toronto

AC
AC
November 23, 2011 3:28 pm

the difference with OTR is Dave Krikst, great producer

Aye Eye
Aye Eye
November 23, 2011 9:30 pm

I enjoy reading all the comments on this site. I don’t agree with all of them, but it’s interesting to get so many different opinions about the media in this town.
Some of you I respect, and some of you I think are ludicrous, but for the most part, it’s good, and it’s fun. I do think TSM is getting a little full of himself though. With all due respect, I don’t care that he thinks the new arena and second NHL team stories have no merit. I don’t care about his opinions on anything but the sports media. That’s why I’m here. If he seriously believes the story is a waste of time, then he doesn’t understand the business, and that calls in to question all his opinions. It matters not what any member of the media believes about the validity of the idea, there’s no question it’s a valid story. There are an awful lot of outlets covering the Leafs and the NHL, with countless stories filed every day. I mean, the debate over whether a reporter should talk with a player’s mother was good for 3 or 4 days coverage.
And not to nitpick, but Dan Levine, I’m sure you’re a wonderful guy. I couldn’t care less what NFL games you think I should be watching. If you’re going to write a column about that on this site, tell me who the broadcast crews are, and why you like or don’t like them. That’s called pertinent.

James
James
November 27, 2011 1:03 pm

Aye eye,

Aside from being a rude and egotistical a hole, you also fail to comprehend several things about this site.

You aren’t a paying customer, and you can feel free to not visit if you don’t want to read it.

And as a matter of fact, TSM has expanded his topics and the quantity based on user feedback and requests – you egotistically assume hour opinion is “right”, when it’s actually a minority.

That being said, why bother to read something you claim to not like? Instead of avoiding it, you take the time to not only read but post a comment! Weird