Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

By TSM

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

On 590 with Greg Brady and Jim Lang:

720 Eric Francis HNIC
810 Pension Plans Puppets Blogger Julian Sanchez on “project mayhem”
820 and 840 Marty McSorely in studio

On TSN radio with Mike Richards

7:00am Encore presentation of Dan Bylsma

7:15am Jonas Siegel

7:30am Pierre McGuire

8:00am Darren Dreger & James Mirtle

8:15am Dave Andreychuk

8:30am Chris Mortensen

8:45am Bruins broadcaster Bob Beers

November 23, 2011 9:16 am

Simmons had an interesting segment on the Cybulski show the other day where he talked about the fact that both Burke and Wilson have blocked him from their Twitter feeds. I’m not a fan of his writing, but i thought he handled the segment really well, clearly laying out why the Leafs are in the wrong here. I’d be happy to read a TSM take on this story. It seems like Brian Burke relishes bullying people, which is a little sad frankly.

Steve from Waterloo
Steve from Waterloo
November 23, 2011 10:48 am

There have been a number of references to the Simmons/Burke twitter dispute – can anyone share what the substance was about?

Another Steve
Another Steve
November 23, 2011 11:13 am

I wish the sports media would pay some/any attention to the tennis in London this week (ATP Tour Finals). Yesterday I was on a long drive and wanted to get an update on the Federer-Nadal match, but all I heard was Eric Smith complaining about the basketball lock-out for two hours.

I understand that the major sports – and mostly hockey – drive the market here, but it often seems that the media here are just sheep, repeating the same stories and trying to outdo one another with respect to who can spend the most time covering hockey.

This afternoon Djokovic plays a tough match – I wonder if I will hear any mention of it at all on the radio or TV today/tonight. Probably not….

Sorry for the rant.

Roger
Roger
November 23, 2011 3:59 pm

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
November 23, 2011 5:14 pm

Another Steve – I agree but at the same time these media guys are mostly dinosaurs (even the younger ones) who know little about the world of sports beyond football, hockey, baseball and basketball. When they do talk about other sports their lack of knowledge can be embarrassing.

Guy
Guy
November 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Roger, I dont understand your comment, please explain

November 23, 2011 7:03 pm

Simmons claims that Burke (who recently joined Twitter) and Wilson have blocked him…………..but they both deny doing that…………..it’s possible they are right since Simmons often doesn’t seem to understand exactly how Twitter works…………….here is what Burke and Wilson wrote:

Burke: “To set the record straight, I have not blocked anybody #getyourfactsstraight”

Wilson: “Amazing, I have not blocked Simmons, but I certainly don’t follow him, nor do I care if he follows me. #arrogance”

design guy Paul
design guy Paul
November 23, 2011 7:17 pm

Interesting Twitter banter supplied by Mike S.
Since Burke craves and seeks attention, despite how negative he appears to be to the press, I find it funny if he blocked Simmons. Can he be that thin skinned, or is Simmons just being a disturber.

I personally find Twitter a waste of time and don’t see how following Burke and/or Wilson would be anything more than reading their selected propaganda that is probably far from the real truth.

November 23, 2011 7:40 pm
design guy Paul
design guy Paul
November 23, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks for the Simmons audio link Mike. Don’t think we have heard the end of this one yet knowing how much all 3 guys can be stubborn pricks.

November 23, 2011 7:54 pm

knowing how much all 3 guys can be stubborn pricks.

no truer words in this thread. it’s hard to root for anyone in this fight.

Ami Angelwings
November 23, 2011 8:56 pm

“Burke is a bully. Didn’t McCown indicate he had people fired because he disagreed with their opinion – and yet he happily marches in the Gay Pride parade each year. How odd.”

Yeah… like the guy above said… what does that mean? o_O

Roger
Roger
November 24, 2011 1:49 pm

Guy and Ami,

What is there to explain? McCown indicated Burke has gotten media people fired for things they said. Maybe TSM can shed more light on what McCown was referring to.

cam
cam
November 24, 2011 3:48 pm

Ami & Guy

I must admit to having the same initial response as you given history.

However if I get it right the “oddity” rests in the LGBT community’s anti-bullying campaign “It Gets Better”. Burke is active in support of that community yet is regularly tagged as a bully in his dealings with the media based on behaviour.

I don’t know that Burke would equate one with the other. While I think he acts like a bully I am not sure I could equate one with the other either. Though trying to get someone fired because you don’t like what they write is excessive.

I suspect, but really have no way of knowing, he would look at his behaviour as simply fighting back to defend his team’s brand. It would be an interesting question in an interview….