Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN tonight, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown (4-7pm). Damien Cox co-hosts from 5-7pm:

4-5pm Mike Zeisberger, Toronto Sun
5:00 Darren Rovell, CNBC
5:20 Jim Duquette, former MLB general manager
6:00 Don Fehr, Executive Director of the NHLPA
6:20 Glenn Healy, HNIC
6:40 Stephen Brunt, Sportsnet

On TSN Radio 1050, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski (4-7pm). James’s co-host is Bob Mackowycz:

4pm Graeme Roustan, Chairman Bauer (spearheading Markham arena)
4:30 Paul Coffey, in studio
5pm Fab 5 at 5 with special guest Tyler Stewart of the Barenaked Ladies
5:15 Bob McKenzie
5:30 Shawn Thornton, Bruins
5:45 Keyshawn Johnson
6:00 Darren Dreger
6:30 Raekwon from the Wu Tang Clan in studio

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record, with Michael Landsberg:

Paul Coffey in-studio
Rob Ray and Lyndon Byers preview tonight’s Bruins and Sabres game

Tonight on Sportsline:

Will the Buffalo Sabres seek hockey justice on the Boston Bruins, does Ron Wilson deserve a contract extension now, will the Lions upset the undefeated Packers and MLB gets serious about HGH use. Join Mark Hebscher & Bubba O’Neil, tonight at 7 on CHCH.

Darren
Darren
November 23, 2011 5:31 pm

It really is depressing after a long day at work to come home and tune in to PTS and see that arrogant, smug, disrespecting SOB Cox on. He really is a channel changer.

Bora
Bora
November 23, 2011 5:32 pm

Darren
Darren
November 23, 2011 5:36 pm

“Hey McCown there’s a Five Guys Burgers in Mississauga regarding your discussion with Rovell” And how enlightening it was!

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
November 23, 2011 5:40 pm

Woodbridge as well

November 23, 2011 7:00 pm

that is not a competitive line-up from TSN. listened to some podcasts at the gym today and was treated to the following awful moments in recent sports interviews:

Cybulski to Bautista: “how come only 4 people voted for you for MVP?”

that is an idiotic question. what the hell is he supposed to say? Cybulski spent most of the interview talking about how disappointing this loss must be. waste of JB’s time, and mine.

Hayes to Shannahan: “should there be special rules for superstars?”

this complete dud of a question was of course answered with a long boring “every player deserves the same treatment …” spiel. Much better question: “the NFL makes rules for the benefit of their most exciting players — QBs and WRs. Do you think the NHL needs to focus more on the ways that below average players are hurting above average players?”

cam
cam
November 23, 2011 7:02 pm

Darren – I really try not to just post the guy’s a jerk but in this case gotta agree about Cox. While clearly not there yet, he is approaching Krystal status for me and find I am listening less to the show when he is on.

Speaking of Krystal must admit the stuff I have seen him do on City has been quite good. Obviously back in the right element.

design guy Paul
design guy Paul
November 23, 2011 7:08 pm

Does Ron Wilson deserve a contract extension now? Nope!
If he gets the team to the playoffs and they show well (ie. not going out in 4 straight), only then should contract talk be discussed. At least that is what I would do. As for Burke’s thoughts… who knows as Wilson is subject to the players supplied and if they can keep healthy. 22 games doesn’t make a season, but unfortunately many success starved Leaf fans are already primed for a “wonderful end to a magical season”. I’m not one of them.

Raptors Devotee
November 23, 2011 7:24 pm

Cox has turned into a Krystal for me now on the air. In print he is somewhat tolerable and although I rarely read him, did read his article on Feschuk calling Reimer’s mother and it was well done.

Sam in Scarb
Sam in Scarb
November 23, 2011 7:31 pm

cox is a smug arrogant bastard whom acts and speaks like he is a shoe-in to take over for Bobcat once he packs it in !!

Darren
Darren
November 23, 2011 7:33 pm

Bang on Sam!! Bang on.

November 23, 2011 7:38 pm

more good news for listeners: Jonah Keri (MLB) and Jerry Sullivan (Bills/Sabers) are appearing on both radio stations. These are both good guests and i’m happy to hear them interviewed often and widely. Guest exclusivity is quite lame.

November 23, 2011 8:03 pm

Mike – I saw Keri tweeted he’d be on TSN radio. I’m glad to hear he’s not completely leaving The Fan as a guest. Frankly, I think Blair and McCown give better baseball interviews than Hayes/Cybulski… I find it kind of a waste when Keith Law, who is excellent, is on Hayes show to be frank.

Ami Angelwings
November 23, 2011 8:52 pm

Hmm.. I’d never thought of Cox as being like Krystal but he is a bit like that… he’s pretty fratboyish :\

Shannon is hurting my ears and brain lately though… every roundtable feels ruined because of him… It’s really frustrating to me that when Brunt’s not around (which seems to be all the time now) the quality of the show just divebombs :\ I honestly can’t listen when Bob is with either Shannon or Cox most of the time… Blair, Grange, even Deacon… I just want somebody other than those two as his co-host 🙁

Ami Angelwings
November 23, 2011 8:55 pm

The roundtables used to be my favourite part of the week because even if Brunt wasn’t on, it was always an interesting mix of characters… now with Shannon guaranteed, there’s always going to be an NHL apologist on, and he makes jokes that aren’t funny at all.. (and what’s with him saying “shazam” now? )

darrell b
darrell b
November 24, 2011 12:39 am

I couldn’t agree more Daniel

dennes7
dennes7
November 24, 2011 10:56 am

Cox ruined the Rovell segment last night, his act is wearing thin, I’m not a Cox hater but man, that was brutal, a disjointed fragmented interview, switched to 1050 for the rest of the ride home.

November 24, 2011 11:18 am

DanielFrankly, I think Blair and McCown give better baseball interviews than Hayes/Cybulski… I find it kind of a waste when Keith Law, who is excellent, is on Hayes show to be frank.

i disagree, at least about Bob. Law was a regular guest on PTS for 2 or 3 years (i think?) and in that time i can’t remember Bob asking him one question pertaining to advanced metrics or indulging any conversation on that subject. This is one of Law’s areas of expertise, and Bob’s disdain for modern baseball stats really limited the value of the interview. I’m not saying Hayes is great on baseball — to be frank i don’t think i’ve heard Hayes be great on anything yet — but Law on PTS became boring.

November 24, 2011 1:59 pm

Mike – Yeah, Bobs’ definitely not a metrics guy. But I found that Bob used to ask Keith a question, then step back and let Keith give really long detailed answers – which usually veered in the metrics discussion anyway.

I definitely miss Law on the show, but I find Keri to be almost as good… so hopefully he sticks around..

November 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Funnily enough, while I think Dan Shulman is a fantastic play by play guy, and I loved him as a host, I don’t think he brings much as an analyst on these shows. Far more interested in the opinions of Law or Keri.

Don Mandrie
Don Mandrie
November 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Good observation Daniel. How many great broadcasters remained true to their own strong opinions, without fear of rattling the cages of power, the more successful they became?

Ami Angelwings
November 24, 2011 7:48 pm

I want to live in the alternate universe where Damien Cox did accept TSN’s offer, and Bruce Arthur then was signed by FAN590 and became Bob’s secondary co-host >_>

That alternate universe would have a happier Ami… and therefore be a better world for everybody :3

Raptors Devotee
November 24, 2011 9:42 pm

Ami, I couldn’t agree more with you. I knew exactly at the time it went down how much of a negative influence it would have on my life. Is there room for two in your alternate universe?

November 25, 2011 1:57 am

Yeah, true, Don! Law and Keri will come right out and say ‘player X or coach X is terrible’. Shulman really hedges his bets with that kind of thing now.

Ami – wow. Yeah. That would have been a lot better.

The Fan should make Grange it’s #3 host instead of Shannon.

November 25, 2011 9:26 am

what a great thought experiment Ami. realistically, if Cox goes to TSN i doubt Arthur becomes an alternating PTS co-host. if he wanted that schedule he could have it with TSN. So, i don’t think you can just swap Cox and Arthur on PTS, although i agree that would be an ideal situation.

Let’s imagine what a Cybulski + Cox drivetime show would sound like. First off, Cox would spend the whole time making fun of James and his fratboy style. You can almost feel the condescension come out the radio whenever Cox speaks. Second, since TSN can’t interview enough hockey insiders, Cox would push Cballs into the background during most interviews (not necessarily a bad thing). Third, Cox and McCormack would get into pathetic spats on the air. Fourth, since the show would be unlistenable, Hayes would probably be in that slot by now.

To be honest I’m glad that Cox went to PTS because it gives TSN a chance to grow their own show. PTS is what it is (both good and bad) at this point and Cox can’t really ruin it (though he is certainly trying). Cox on a brand new TSN drivetime show would be a death-sentence for all those associated, and would set the station back.

November 27, 2011 12:12 am

I disagree with Daniel……………I enjoy hearing Law and Keri on the radio but I will take a Shulman interview over them any day…………..when Shulman gives his opinions he doesn’t act as if he invented baseball…………..I sometimes can’t say the same for Law and Keri