Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

Don’t look now, but Phil Kessel is leading the NHL in early All Star voting.

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN tonight, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown (4-7pm). Stephen Brunt co-hosts from 5-7pm:

4:00 Bob Elliott, Toronto Sun
4:40 Paul Crane, Cox Sports
5:00 Sheldon Levy, president, Ryerson University
5:20 Nick Kypreos, Sportsnet
6:00 Jason Whitlock, Fox Sports
6:20 Matt Bonner, San Antonio Spurs
6:40 Bob Nicholson, Hockey Canada

On TSN Radio 1050, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski (4-7pm). James’s co-host is Bob Mackowycz:

TBA

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Bob McKenzie, TSN Hockey Analyst
Artie Lange, Comedian
Dave Zirin, Edgeofsports.com

Tonight on Sportsline:

How will Dale Hunter motivate Alex Ovechkin, should the Raptors spend money when free agency opens, was a 2-game suspension sufficient punishment for Ndamukong Suh and is Ochocinos lack of production really affecting his sex life? Join Mark Hebscher & Clint ‘Bubba’ O’Neil tonight at 7, on CHCH.

Bora
Bora
November 29, 2011 5:21 pm

I don’t usually watch Hockey Central but I saw Gord Stellick on last night. Is he still a part time employee of Sportnset now that he is with Sirius?

November 29, 2011 5:24 pm

Kessel being voted 1st after being picked last would certainly be a nice story. Maybe he can text Ovechkin at home and tell him about it.

The FAN lost when they (in effect) traded Griffin for Elliott. I can’t really listen to the latter anymore after his summer of rambling appearances where he couldn’t talk about the games since he hadn’t seen most of them. Griff is a good interview.

in other news, this pic is awesome.

November 29, 2011 6:20 pm

McCown definitely isn’t up on modern Sabremetric baseball analysis, but I get the impression he’s smart enough to let those who are speak their piece. (As I wrote before, I thought he was good with Keith Law because he seemed to defer to Law’s baseball analysis, and just let Law talk).

Anyway, I think McCown needs a younger, more current baseball analyst on the show to keep him from veering into old timey analysis that overvalues Wins and RBIs etc. Law was perfect. Keri is great, but I think has only been on once. I think Zaun is very good (even though he doesn’t seem to care much about modern stats).

But yeah – Elliot or Griffin (IMO) aren’t good for his show anymore. Combined with McCown it all just sounds too outdated.

alex
alex
November 29, 2011 9:28 pm

Id rather jonah stay mainly on blair’s show, since they a rapport and history. (Keri was an intern at paper in montreal where blair was the baseball writer there)

I havent listened to todays show. Was whitlock as abrasive as gregg doyle was?

Ami Angelwings
November 30, 2011 12:14 am

I like Elliott, but I agree that when he’s with McCown, it’s like a time machine. Griffin too (actually Griffin bugs me more because he’s so defensive of the writers’ choices for awards and HoF stuff). And Elliott, Griffin and Perk + McCown = emotional non-analytical reading of Blue Jays players. I’d love to see Wilner on with Bob but I guess he’s banned xD I’m shocked that Keri wasn’t banned after he told Bob that he hadn’t paid attn to wins and losses since he was 16 when Bob was talking about Greinke’s W/L record home and away. I love Keri as a commentator and Law has grown on me (I still think he’s too egotistical sometimes), and both are preferable to “old school” writers in the context of being on with Bob. I think all 3 of the above would be great paired up w/ Blair or Wilner or somebody to balance them out, but I think they bring out the worst in Bob’s instinctive reading of baseball.

I’m so glad Brunt’s back! 😀

November 30, 2011 12:25 am

Totally agree with you Ami, good calls..

itchy butt
itchy butt
November 30, 2011 6:18 am

Elliott and Cox are perfect examples of why print guys usually make horrible radio guys.

November 30, 2011 7:56 am

just listened to Monday’s PTS. The NBA lockout has been resolved, no one has thought about the Raps for 6 months, and you have your local NBA/Raps experts in-studio. So what do you discuss if your name is Bob McCown? 9 minutes on the Cleveland Browns … pure contempt for the audience.

November 30, 2011 9:45 am

since no one commented on the actual Elliott interview i fired up the iPod and had a listen.

Bobcat: why would they let Molina go?
Elliott: i have no idea

now admittedly i don’t talk to NL scouts like Bob Elliott but i do know that Molina qualified as a type B free agent which means the Jays get an extra high draft pick for letting him walk. So, putting 2 and 2 together i would come to the conclusion that the Jays value the draft pick more than they value Molina’s 35 games a year behind the plate.

FOB strikes again. does anyone have any professional standards anymore?

November 30, 2011 11:55 am

Just because someone (Shulman, Griffin, Elliott, etc) doesn’t bow at the feet of sabermetrics doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t know what they are talking about……………..anyone who says these guys shouldn’t be radio guests should probably supply specific examples like Mike in Boston did