MLB Issues Media Dress Code Guidelines

by TSM

This is too funny. MLB is the first sports league to impose a dress code upon those members of the media who work games. No joke. This is legit. The edict came at the winter meetings in Dallas.

Here is what press members can’t wear:

Muscle shirts, ripped jeans, flip-flops, visible undergarments, excessively short skirts or anything with a team logo.

“The media should dress “in an appropriate and professional manner” with clothing proper for a “business casual work environment” when in locker rooms, dugouts, press boxes and on the field”

It will be VERY interesting to see if other leagues follow. I’ve shown you various images of certain media members in Toronto that really made me laugh in the past. Can you imagine if this gets imposed across all leagues? Too funny.

I will say this, as you may recall I was in Boston last summer at the same time as the Blue Jays. We were told which hotel they were staying in and took the kids there after the game (stalkers!) to try to meet some of the Jays. “How will we know who they are? ” little TSM asked me as we waited. “First of all,” I told him, “they are professional athletes so they are going to look pretty built up, secondly, they are going to be very nicely dressed”. Wow was I wrong on both occasions. Thankfully there were other stalkers in the hotel as we wouldn’t have noticed them at all. They weren’t very big at all and secondly I couldn’t believe how casually they were dressed. They totally blended in with everyone else in the hotel lobby. I always like seeing players entering arenas on HNIC in business attire before the big game. If players are made to dress the part shouldn’t the media? At least where a Dick Beddows hat!

Ami Angelwings
December 7, 2011 8:34 am

The easiest way to enforce most of that is to hold your winter meetings in a northern city xD

design guy Paul
design guy Paul
December 7, 2011 8:47 am

It’s interesting that MLB wants the media to look respectable while they are interviewing a guy only wearing a towel with his junk hanging out.

Another Steve
Another Steve
December 7, 2011 10:38 am

All of the things that the code cited seem fair to me. It’s always easy to make fun of these things, but if people want to get a press pass then it seems fair that they have to follow certain minimal standards.

itchy butt
itchy butt
December 7, 2011 3:44 pm

Didn’t some of you joke about Berger’s clothing? If so, then you have nothing to say.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
December 7, 2011 7:41 pm

Agree with Another Steve, it’s a shame common sense is so lacking among some MSM that such a basic standard needs to be enforced etc..

Bryan
Bryan
December 7, 2011 9:20 pm

Wow it’s pretty sad when you have to enforce a dress code. You are representing your company, shouldn’t it be natural to dress properly?

Ami Angelwings
December 8, 2011 2:38 am

TBF, I do understand how sports media can get into a lax dress mode given that they’re traveling with the team so much, a lot of them have been with the team for years if not decades, and there’s so much interactions outside of a “formal” (i.e. planned press conference) setting. And baseball being a summer sport, I can see how that’s even more conducive to reporters in casual clothes. I wonder how well dressed a lot of the athletes are…

Also, isn’t baseball the sport where the manager wears a baseball uniform instead of something manager/coachy? xD It’s not like a lot of them are particularly pleasant on the eyes in a baseball uniform xD

Ami Angelwings
December 8, 2011 2:40 am

I’m told that I actually look more like a fetish object when I wear “professional” clothes (which thankfully I dun have to do that much in my job, but there are some times I do) b/c the pencil skirt and blouse make me look like I came out of a Bond film or something xD I think casual me would look much less annoying :3