Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

Quiet day in the sports world! You could have played a drinking game today during the news conference on 3 words – content, platforms, and excited. Enjoy the weekend, & here’s your drive home lineups.

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN tonight, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown from 4-7pm. John Shannon co-hosts:

4:00 Nadir Mohamed & Keith Pelley, Rogers
4:20 Richard Peddie, MLSE President & CEO
5:00 Brian Cooper, President & CEO, S&E Sponsorship Group
6-7pm Repeat of earlier interview with Pelley & Mohamed, & an interview with Phil King and Kevin Crull of CTV Bell Media

On TSN Radio 1050, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record, with Michael Landsberg:

Kevin Crull, President of Bell Media
Eric Dickerson, NFL Hall of Famer
Jon Jones, UFC Light Heavyweight Champion

Tonight on Sportsline:

TBA

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 29
  • comment-avatar

Its a big circle jerk today.

• comment-avatar

So… the roundtable got nerfed or something so we can have MLSE talk? >_>

• comment-avatar

Loved listing to the TSN inverviews of TSN’s King and Rogers’ Pelley.

One was a slap of the back fest and the other was filled with, lets just sa aggressive questions…..guess which was which lol.

• comment-avatar

It seems like the Toronto Star is the place to go today if you don’t want to just here happy stories about how the consumers win with all the content we’re going to get out of this. >_>

• comment-avatar

The Angels signed Pujols and Wilson yesterday. The NBA vetoed the Paul deal and appears to be the laughingstock of the sports world this morning. But everything was about the unholy alliance buying MLSE. No PTS roundtable because, gee, why would the Toronto sports fan care about anything else? -_-

If people thought that the Maple Leafs dominated everything in Toronto as it is, now the 2 corporations that control sports media in Toronto own them (I know they own the Raptors, TFC, etc.. and Rogers owns the Jays, but today proved that the Leafs are the real focus) -_-;; If some other company bought the Leafs today, they’d be 1 of the 3 big sports stories that TSN and Sportsnet/FAN would be talking about, not the only one…

• comment-avatar

And yet, barely a story south of the 48, coupled with pujols, chris paul and nfl stories.

Ill take the suits today since we spared a roundtable with damien

• comment-avatar

Given his column today, I think Damien might be interesting to have on the roundtable to talk about this, actually. 🙂

Gerry (Burlington) 9 years ago

Is it just me or does it seem like in the last 24 hours both TSN and Sportsnet seem to suddenly care alot more about the Raptors?

I think the Raptors may be the biggest winner in this whole transaction, as now both networks have a vested interest in making the most out of their 50/50 investment in them.

• comment-avatar

Good chat pn Thursday 4pm hour with McCown and Tim Keown on the death of the interview.

Interesting that reporters may feel pressure to put quotes in stories simply because a subject deigned to give them time – even if what they had to say adds nothing to the story at hand.

They did touch on what in my opinion is the big issue… networks/channels have to produce tons of content to put between commercials.

itchy butt 9 years ago

@Sam,
    That was a good piece. I liked the part when they discussed the “talk about”…..”talk about that goal…….talk about that hit in the 3rd…….talk about that field goal…..” very uncreative journalism.

itchy butt 9 years ago

I’m not even a Leaf fan, but I don’t know what some of you expected. This is only the biggest business related sports story ever in this city, and you care about some team overpaying for a baseball player on the downside of his career and a trade that didn’t happen?

Another Steve 9 years ago

I agree with Ami. Yesterday was the first time that I shut off a Friday PTS.

I was hoping to hear some mention of the Paul debacle or the Pujols signing, but the love-fest was a bit too saccharine for me.

Andrew 9 years ago

I’ve spent the last 2 weekends on a home improvement project with TSN radio on. As a Fan listener from day 1, Mike Hogan is the radio equivalent of a comfortable pair of sneakers. Can’t see him finding his way back to weekdays but a really enjoy his work.

• comment-avatar

People can’t care about more than one story at once? o_O

• comment-avatar

It took me a bit to realize he was talking about Nadr Mohamed as if he’s Mark Cuban and this isn’t a big business deal involving 2 mega corporations that just want to make money xD

Mike S 9 years ago

I found it a bit humourous that TSN felt the need to declare on radio and television that Darren Dreger knew about this MLSE sale to Rogers/Bell a couple of weeks ago but didn’t report it because he couldn’t get proper confirmation……………..it seems like every time they aren’t the first to report a big story they feel they have to explain why

• comment-avatar

I think they’re smarting from missing out on the big scoops lately to Brunt (Winnipeg) and Shanypreos (Gretzky). xD

Gerry (Burlington) 9 years ago

I have felt for years that it is inevitable that the GTA will receive a 2nd NHL team. It is the largest population in North America which has a thirst for hockey. The sticking point has always been speculated to be the Leafs with the Sabres having a minor role in this. Now you have a deep pocketed owner in Buffalo and an ownership group in Toronto which would probably love to have more hockey. So could the real cure to this arranged marriage be that one of them eventually gets to own the other Toronto Hockey team?

Mike V 9 years ago

I don’t see how this explanation helps TSN or Dregger. Getting a second source for a story is a big deal and if he was such an “insider” as TSN claims, that shouldn’t have been a problem. Sort of like a defence lawyer saying “I knew my client was innocent before anyone else, it’s just that his new representation found a way to prove it in court.”

• comment-avatar

@gerry – that is a very good point. Sure, Tannenbaum would need to be paid off/ otherwise satisfied and a new franchise fee paid, but both those sums pale in comparison to the potential payment for the Leafs to waive their “territorial rights”. Whether or not they legally existed.

• comment-avatar

That’d make sense only if they knew they’d get the content rights for a 2nd NHL team in Toronto, and their market research says that a 2nd team wouldn’t take any eyeballs (or blackberries/iphones) away from the Leafs. In which case, I suppose it could make some sort of business sense, wouldn’t lose anything (unless their research says that the Leafs brand would be eventually damaged or eroded, the brand is worth a lot). Would it be kosher for any deal for a new team in the GTA, to include something where Rogers/TSN are guaranteed the content rights to that team for a relatively cheap price over a long haul?

(and you could just move the team further from the Sabres and closer to the Leafs and not worry about Buffalo at all)

I’m just guessing about all of the above btw, I have very little knowledge about these things and I’m not pretending I do :3

itchy butt 9 years ago

Ami said…..”Whoever the guy is that’s on the FAN590 for the night shift tonight (it’s not Norm or Roger or Sammut) is doing a fantastic spin job about Rogers/Bell owning the Leafs xD He was saying how this gives Leafs fans exactly what we need, a passionate single owner and not a faceless corporation that just wants to make money like the Teacher’s Pension Plan xD”

And he only repeated this 6 times! It wasn’t Sammut. Anthony Totero, I think. A hard listen after puking my guts out on the side of the road after some bad Xmas party food.

• comment-avatar

Really? I got home and stopped listening. He kept saying it? xD

itchy butt 9 years ago

Honestly, I thought there was a signal feed problem as I kept hearing the same thing over and over.

• comment-avatar

@itchy butt – was it like when Dion Phaneuf was “excited” to be with the Maple Leafs? 😉

MEDIAJOE 9 years ago

That was some hack named Anthony Tetera (sp?) who was jock sniffing the big Robbers suit Nadir Mohamed as some kind of demi god saviour everytime he opened the mic it was pathetic i also turned him off! Tetera should wait until he gets his future bills from Robbers before proclaiming how great a deal this is for Toronto sports fans because prices will never go down and will ultimately continue to rise to apease Robbers and Hell Media’s stock holders.

Speaking of Nadir Mohamed…this is the Robbers suit who is directly responsible for making the incompetent decison and pissing off Robbers subscribers by dropping the best indie HD channel on television by far in HDNet by haggling over the channels price.

Another Steve 9 years ago

There are a lot of personalities on the radio that I do not prefer, but Tortera (or however it is spelled) is the only one who is truly embarrassing to listen to.

I’m sure that the people who have allowed him to appear on the radio don’t realize how horrific he is.

As an aside, I have rather enjoyed Rumack in these past few weeks. He has calmed down greatly and allowed a reasonable person to come through.

• comment-avatar

Yeah, I’ve just heard Totera once or twice (I think he’s just on late nights here and there)… and it really was not good. Sort of like watching a Rogers Cable 10 show or something. Surprised The Fan couldn’t find some young talent who’s just starting out instead of him.