Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

By TSM

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

On 590 with Greg Brady and Jim Lang:

Jim Lang’s driving solo

Tony Ambrogio (Tor/Buff), Barry Davis (Van/Tor) and Dan Murphy (Van/Tor) – 7:05‬
‪Eric Francis – 7:20‬
‪Ed Stefanski – 7:40‬

‪Jason LaCanfora – 8:20‬
‪Scott Niedermayer – 8:45‬

On TSN radio with Mike Richards

6:30 Writer for The National Post & ESPN Sean McIndoe

6:45 TSN Fantasy Expert Scott Cullen

7:00 Chris Schultz

7:15 Jonas Siegel

7:30 Pierre McGuire

8:00 Jamie McLennan & Steve Simmons

8:15 Author Gare Joyce

8:30 Buffalo Sabres Broadcaster Rick Jeanneret

8:45 Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 16
  • comment-avatar
    itchy butt 9 years ago

I heard those 2 donkeys on the Fan this morning for 2 minutes. While I am one of the more opitimistic Jays fans here, I had to laugh at Brady/Lang’s notion that getting Yu will suddenly accelerate ticket sales. He’s an unknown commodity. If having the best pitcher in baseball year after year never got asses in the seats, I can’t see how this guy can.

mike (in boston) 9 years ago

i think the idea is that he will bring a different segment of the population to the Dome. Ichiro had a noticeable effect on Seattle’s attendance, and whenever the Mariners are in town, the Toronto Asian community tends to show up as well. It’s not implausible to think that the Darvish investment makes good business sense (in addition to thinking it makes good baseball sense).

Darvish is a rock star in Japan — he currently makes around $6 million a year in endorsements.

dennes7 9 years ago

If Darvish signs, Blue Jays merchandise will go through the roof in Japan, they will make a large portion 50 million posting that way.

Also, how is possible that Rogers Sportsnet the Fan has to find out/source from the NY Post that Blue Jays posted btw 40-50 million?? Does anybody in this town have a scoop on what’s happening with this team? Is The Fan kept in the dark? Does anyone form their ask the hard questions directly to the team?

Roger 9 years ago

The Jays might sell a few more jerseys and hats in Japan but this guy will have little effect on the field and in the stands with the Jays.

As yourself, has a pitcher form Japan ever won, or even contended for the Cy Young? Didn’t think so…

Prediction for 2012: 12 wins, 9 losses with a 3.71 ERA

Decent but not great numbers.

• comment-avatar

Presumably, Nomo has been the best Japanese starter in MLB and, other than winning the Rookie of the Year and throwing a no-hitter, and is probably viewed now as a .500 pitcher.

• comment-avatar

Toronto’s Asian communities are not one big homogenous mass. xD Darvish is Japanese, he’s not Chinese or Korean. There might be some younger generation East Asian people who come out for general “East Asian Pride” but he won’t mean to, for example, the Chinese community “the large Asian community” refers what somebody like Patrick Chan does (even Yao Ming, who you can see in phone ads and stuff in Chinese malls), and they aren’t going to go watch his games just because he’s Asian.

@Dennes7 we don’t know exactly who the NY Post is sourcing, or how accurate this source is. It sounds like the Post put together a lot of supposition from various “sources” about what people had probably bid. If they had a source in the Jays that knew the bid, they would publish the number wouldn’t they? They just said 40-50 million.

• comment-avatar

Hmmm my comment got screwed up a little because I accidentally left in something I was rephrasing XD

It should read:

Toronto’s Asian communities are not one big homogenous mass. xD Darvish is Japanese, he’s not Chinese or Korean. There might be some younger generation East Asian people who come out for general “East Asian Pride” but, for example, he won’t mean to the Chinese community what somebody like Patrick Chan does (even Yao Ming, who you can see in phone ads and stuff in Chinese malls), and they aren’t going to go watch his games just because he’s Asian.

• comment-avatar

@Dennes7 what “hard question” do you think Toronto sports reporters aren’t asking? o_O “How much did you bid?” “Did you win the bid?” Do you think the reason we don’t know things is because people just aren’t asking and if they ask it directly, Alex will just spill the beans? o_O

dennes7 9 years ago

@Ami have you heard any reporters ask him that question or do they just not bother now because they know he won’t answer the question?

Also, I agree we don’t know who the NY Post is sourcing, however could someone from the station not call Alex and ask for confirmation, should the report not say something like, “Sources from NY Post say”….” and we (the fan) are trying to confirm that….(I’m just wondering, because it seems like they are trying to take an arms length approach to their reporting)

• comment-avatar

I think we can all agree that the only thing that will bring large crowds back to the dome on a regular basis is playoff contention..

Having said that – I COULD see Darvish having an effect (at least at first), I think partly because the whole situation will be so mysterious and it will be so interesting to see how it pans out.

This guy is literally a superstar in Japan, and I imagine there would be hype and buzz for this guy that was similar to Dice-K when he was signed. As well – if twitter is any indication, Toronto sports fans seem to be frothing at the mouth by the idea that Toronto team may be a top free agent (outbidding teams like the Yankees in the process).

I think it could be big.

• comment-avatar

Regardless of how Darvish performs though, if this report is true, this DOES seem to mark the beginning of something new for the Jays.

It’s going to probably cost something like 100 to 120 million (posting fee included) to get this guy for 5+ years. It’s almost impossible to imagine a post World Series Blue Jays team doing something like that.

If Rogers is finally going to throw some financial muscle around (combined with the Jays strong farm system) – as a fan, I’m pretty excited.

(Another) Andrew 9 years ago

As Ami correctly says Asians are not homogeneous. “Asian” as an ethnic category is an American idea, kind of like “Hispanic”. (Try telling a Cuban and a Mexican they belong to the same group). I believe the greater Seattle area has a significant Japanese community.

Nevertheless, as Mike says he’s a rock star in Japan and in my experience the Japanese as a nation take enormous pride in any sportsman who makes it overseas. Formula One teams often get a big commercial boost from Japanese companies and consumers when they have a Japanese driver – even if he’s finishing near last in every race. So from a commercial standpoint this could be significant for the Jays.

mike (in boston) 9 years ago

fair points, so i’ll clarify. i didn’t mean to imply that that Asians are a homogenous group, but rather that:

1. Japanese stars have a wider appeal than just to people of Japanese heritage, and that appeal is larger the closer you are geographically to Japan.
    2. the goggle tells me that Japanese stars draw huge crowds in China, so it stands to reason that some Canadian-Chinese might find Darvish exciting even if they are not baseball fans.

i’m not expert, so i’ll gladly defer to those who would know.

itchy butt 9 years ago

“Try telling a Cuban and a Mexican they belong to the same group”

I made the mistake of telling some Iranian guys that Saudi Arabia had just won a World Cup game a few years ago, expecting elation. Boy was I wrong! 🙁

• comment-avatar

I believe Darvish is part Japanese and part Iranian.

So, I wonder if attempting to draw in “the Asian population,” they are also going and try and draw from “the Arabic population.”

I think I’m correct in believing there’s a large Indian/Pakistani population in Toronto, but does that also hold true for people from the Middle East?

/vaguely unaware American

itchy butt 9 years ago

There is a large Middle Eastern population in Toronto but I doubt they like baseball. Soccer/basketball is usually their sport of choice.