Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN tonight, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown from 4-7pm

4:00 – 5:00 Phones
5:00 – 7:00 The Roundtable with McCown, John Shannon, Dave Perkins, & James Deacon

On TSN Radio 1050, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski:

Farhan Lalji

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Jim Kelly, Legendary Bills Quarterback
Jamie McLennan discusses the Chris Pronger situation
Eric Dickerson, Hall of Fame Running Back

Tonight on Sportsline:

Is the NHL not taking their concussion issue seriously, is Toronto the right ‘fit’ for Yu Darvish, Tebow vs. Brady and what kind of man is Mike Milbury? Opinions, unfiltered with Mark Hebscher & Bubba O’Neil tonight at 7, on CHCH.

December 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Is it just me or is anyone else getting sick and tired of listening to McCown banter on and on and freakin on about head shots and fighting in hockey? Ok we get it, he hates violence in hockey, noted! Maybe if I got the impression that he actually watched any type of hockey I would actually listen to his opinion. Also his meaningless conversations with whomever is sitting beside him is like fingernails down a chalkboard, nobody cares about how big your TV is or how you scored in your golf game, nobody gives a crap that you drive an SUV, nor do we want to hear about your 85 and 10 year old mother and daughters birthday weekend! Maybe it’s time to turn to TSN Radio, see if they actually talk sports.

December 16, 2011 5:24 pm

i’m with you Darren, but from reading the comments here some people like the idle banter because it gives insight into who these people really are. it’s not my cup of tea, so i skip it on podcast. the more irritating thing is when half an interview with some interesting guest is wasted with talk about the host’s golf game/dog/chili/wife’s musical tastes/zzzzz

December 16, 2011 5:27 pm

I feel the same way Mike and I am a McCown fan. It just seems over the past year or more his rambling is getting worse. It’s almost as if he is watching less and less sports so has to rely on useless everyday type conversations.

Bora
Bora
December 16, 2011 6:07 pm

Would have/could have been a good roundtable except for the fact Shannon was on

Alex
Alex
December 16, 2011 6:09 pm

Generally, im a fan of non-sports sports radio, as done quite well in the past by kornheiser and lebatard.

But i think you have to be invested in the host.

My biggest criticsm of pts (besides damien every other week) is being fairly formulaic, with the same guests all thw time, even if they are good.

Mike
Mike
December 16, 2011 8:51 pm

Well Mike Milbury is off both NBC Sports and CBC Sports coverage effective today… Whatever happened to “Innocent Until Proven Guilty”…. god this means more Glenn Healy and PJ Stock on HNIC…. another example of how awful HNIC is these days……

December 16, 2011 8:54 pm

What are you talking about? Both NBC and CBC have sent out statements that he will REMAIN on both.

Ami Angelwings
December 16, 2011 9:02 pm

I like hearing Bob talk about fighting and head shots… but that’s probably because it’s also something I agree with him on and am very passionate about. I’m also like him in that I have no problem with radical change to solve problems (much like greatly expanding replay in baseball), so I tend to like it when he rambles.

I’m actually unsure whether it’s better or worse that Cox isn’t there but Shannon is. I guess I should look at it not that Shannon replaced Cox, but that thankfully we don’t have Cox TOO because Shannon is apparently scheduled for every roundtable now. :\

“CBC Sports and NBC Sports have both announced that Milbury will not appear on their networks while he addresses the allegations.

“CBC Sports spoke with Mike late this afternoon,” said spokesman Chuck Thompson.

“After a good discussion we both decided that he won’t be part of Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts while he focuses on his personal situation,” Thompson said. ”

From there. I think that what Mike was saying is that Milbury is not going to be part of the broadcasts while this is being sorted out, and what Darren means (and misunderstood Mike) is that they have not fired him.

December 16, 2011 9:06 pm

My apologies Mike, the last I read is both were continuing their relationship with him, guess that has changed (kinda), it’s too bad, I kinda wanted to hear his side of this story, not a Milbury fan but find this story really hard to believe.

Ami Angelwings
December 16, 2011 11:15 pm

I think it would be really inappropriate for NBC or CBC to be giving Milbury a national platform (especially where his platform is because he is working for them) for “his side of the story”.

December 16, 2011 11:20 pm

So I guess anyone that has a job that is accused of anything should be removed or fired until you prove your innocence or guilt? Whatever happened to innocent till proven guilty? Again, I am not a Milbury fan in any way but believe everyone should have their day in court!

Ami Angelwings
December 17, 2011 12:45 am

He wasn’t fired, they just agreed it would be better if he didn’t go on air. They’re still paying him. xD If he went on air, it’d end up being all about what he did or didn’t do, and it’d be a distraction for the station, and it’d mean also that him as an analyst would be overshadowed by everybody’s interest in the news, so it wouldn’t be good for either his employers, or him. As I said above, this doesn’t affect him still being employed, or being paid or anything. They didn’t even suspend him, or ban him from the premises, or anything. He’s just not being on air.

December 17, 2011 12:48 am

Holy, it must be nice to have all the answers, we’ll agree to disagree with how their handling this.

Ami Angelwings
December 17, 2011 12:56 am

I’m unsure why “your employer shouldn’t provide you with a national platform to defend yourself (esp before the police have investigated)” = “so everybody should be fired on an accusation” o_O

If I’m accused of something, I don’t think my employer should be issuing press releases with my “side of the story” in it. It doesn’t mean the alternative is they fire me. o_O

If Milbury wants to talk to the press about what happened (I’m pretty sure his lawyer has advised against it), he can do that. If CBC and NBC started to defend him (or provided him a platform to defend himself) or any other employee accused of a crime, it would throw their credibility into question with the public. They are letting the justice system handle it, as they should. 🙂

Ami Angelwings
December 17, 2011 12:57 am

Oh I was writing that comment while you were commenting so I didn’t see you responded XD

Alex
Alex
December 17, 2011 8:18 am

Marek said today was Milbury’s last night on HNIC anyway, since he was going full time with NBC/NBCSports/Versus.

Keeping someone off the air is damage control, not abridging their rights. Do you think NBC or CBC want to be viewed as putting someone on the air “who assaulted a child?” Not worth the protestations of people.

If he’s just off the air and not suspended without pay or fired, that’s the way things go. The Four Letter regularly takes people off the air before their contracts expire, so they usually don’t get a chance to say good-bye. Seems like Kornheiser and Dan Patrick were the exceptions on ESPN radio.

kyle
kyle
December 17, 2011 2:22 pm

to me, the trump card as to whether or not he’s on the air (guilty or not) is that the incident involves a child.
a little shove back and forth with the child’s parent – he might be okay.
but adult vs. child? no question the correct decision was made.