Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

John Carlos, above right, is a guest on Prime Time Sports tonight. He won the bronze medal in the 200m at the 1968 Olympics. The black power salute in support of African-American poverty by Carlos and golf medal winner Tommie Smith caused quite a political controversy at that time.

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN tonight, Prime Time Sports with guest host Jeff Blair. Damien Cox co-hosts from 5-7pm:

4:00 Phones
5:00 Cody Franson, Leafs defenceman
5:20 Rob Betker, legal analyst
6:00 Jonah Keri, Grantland
6:20 Dr. John Carlos, 1968 Olympic gold medalist
6:40 Doug McLean, Sportsnet

On TSN Radio 1050, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski:

4:30pm – Bob McKenzie
4:45pm – Hunter Moore, IsAnyoneUp.com … he personally posted the Zigomanis pics
5:30 – Keyshawn Johnson, ESPN
5:45 – Bob Nuicholson, Hockey Canada
6:00 – Darren Dreger
6:15 – Actor Jar Baruchel
6:30 – Steve Simmons

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record, with Michael Landsberg, a special on “The Future of Sports”:

Jordan Banks, Facebook Canada Managing Director
Dean Richards, EA SPORTS VP/GM Team Sports and Hockey
Johann Olav Koss, Founder of Right to Play
Brian Cooper, President/CEO of S&E Sponsorship Group

Tonight on Sportsline:

Will Nazem Kadri lead a turn around for the Maple Leafs, was Mike Zigomanis framed, Jacques Demers & Guy Carbonneau fail to support Randy Cunneyworth and did the New Jersey Nets overpay Kris Humphries? For these issues and many more, join Mark Hebscher & Bubba O’Neil, tonight at 7 on CHCH

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 11
  • comment-avatar
    itchy butt 9 years ago

And Cox makes a complete ass of himself for the 1000th time by questioning Carlos’ “Dr.” title. I don’t know what he is a doctor of, unless it’s honorary, but show the guy some respect.

• comment-avatar

He should have played that card when Jonah was on, since his wife is a university professor, so her Doctorate may or may not be a medical one.

Cox also got the name of Jonah’s book wrong. “The 2% Solution” would be where the Rays move to 221B Baker st and solve sabermertic crimes.

• comment-avatar
    lagerandale 9 years ago

I’m not sure what’s worse, constant negative comments or constantly listening to somebody when obviously you don’t enjoy them. I know what this sites all about but it seems that some people listen to the radio just to find stuff to complain about.

• comment-avatar

Just throwing this out there…

But since all this Jays intrigue has taken place, I think Blair has been phenomenal. Absolutely a go to source. Preferable and more plugged in on the stuff than McCown.

• comment-avatar
    Another Steve 9 years ago

Carlos’ doctorate is an honorary one, so it’s a bullshit title. However, I think Blair is the only one who brought up the title, and he did so merely for a bit of childish fun – I don’t imagine Carlos would make too much of it other than be happy for the recognition.

I don’t know any honorary recipients who actually call themselves doctors, but I would certainly make fun of them if I heard them do so. [I actually find the process of honorary doctorates to be demeaning to the people who really earned them, like me. In total, it took me 12 years of university life to earn my PhD, so I’m a bit selfish about that title.]

It would be different if he were a real doctor (PhD or medical), but he isn’t. So Cox had a point in making fun of the title, but only because Blair brought it up. I would have made sport of it as well; however, I thought it was just all in good fun.

There are lots of reasons to dislike Cox – but I think that this ain’t one of them, sadly enough.

• comment-avatar
    itchy butt 9 years ago

@Lagerandale
    I like PTS, but don’t like Cox, so I listen and try and tolerate him. It’s not easy. The guy is an ass.

Blair has been very good so far. Kudos to him.

@Another Steve
    Yes, as I said, “unless it’s an honorary one”.

• comment-avatar
    Roger 9 years ago

To paraphrase Dennis Miller: This runner dude deserves a ‘doctorate” no more than Elvis deserved a black belt.

• comment-avatar
    itchy butt 9 years ago

Hey, don’t forget Dr WIlliam Cosby!

• comment-avatar

I think Blair been good, not as shillish as I find him at times and took a much more stronger stance than normally. But for me Brunt has been amazing talking about the Jays the last few weeks, he sounded like the true voice of the fans but saying it in his normal intellectual style.

• comment-avatar

Of late, I try not to even listen when Cox is on, unless the guest is someone I want to hear, like Jonah Keri yesterday. Or the roundtable, where more people should mean less chance for Damien to talk.

Friedman is on the roundtable tomorrow and those are usually good, even with a subpart rest of the panel.

I think my favorite roundtable of the year (I think it was this year) was when Stan Kasten was on with Arthur and they were combative the entire show, especially about agent talk.

• comment-avatar

Speaking of Friedman anybody know why his column hasn’t been in the National Post the past few weeks? ? It was a must read.